The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Mercedes line-up to remain the same for 2020 - Ocon to Renault next season.

Not been confirmed officially yet from what I can find.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Read news at about 5.30pm - "Mercedes have confirmed that VB will keep his position for 2020"  - probably best not to believe it until he is seen in the car!

Auto Bild are reporting this and have also said that they do not have official confirmation  from the team so it is still rumour, not fact.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Read news at about 5.30pm - "Mercedes have confirmed that VB will keep his position for 2020"  - probably best not to believe it until he is seen in the car!

Where did you read that? Motorsport.com and Autosport have nothing on this.

The F1 fansite has a piece, but that doesn't specifically say that, nor does the English translation of the article in Auto Bild. That piece implies that Toto W has yet to finalise his decision, but that a move to Renault would be a strong possibility for Ocon if Bottas stays at Mercedes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:44, njee20 said:

... Hulk out on his ear?

Quite likely. He's had his time in F1, never lucked into a seat in a really competitive team or caught a break to get a podium. That's over eight and a half seasons. You have to conclude that if the magic was going to happen, it would have been seen by now.

I loved Toto's piece about staying focussed, I suppose anything less than 8 out of 9 now would have to be seen as failure...

Do we suppose that McLaren are happy about Albon in the Red Bull? Unless he immediately gives Verstappen a hard time at Spa (now that would be real fun) I should think Sainz and Norris will see this as opportunity to up their average placing this season, assuming that their car's improving trajectory has been maintained over the summer.

• Like 4

So Merc have gone the safe choice route. Presumably don't see a clearly superior option among the potentially available drivers, and with a winning combination in place that works are not inclined to experiment. Strikes me as a little short sighted, surely if Bottas was going to develop into the lead driver for the team he would be giving Hamilton a real run for his money every race by now?

• Like 2

No offence to Bottas, who in GP terms no more than an average driver.  I wonder how much Hamilton wanted a safe compliant 2nd in the team , especially after Rosberg, who actually put some excitement back into Mercedes in his time?. They should be doing the same as Red Bull bringing up new blood for the future, not stagnating.

Interesting article today in the Daily Express, BTCC now has a higher spectating audience than F1, the BTCC  figures up by nearly 20% . ITV are quite pleased !!

• Informative/Useful 2

28 minutes ago, micklner said:

No offence to Bottas, who in GP terms no more than an average driver.  I wonder how much Hamilton wanted a safe compliant 2nd in the team , especially after Rosberg, who actually put some excitement back into Mercedes in his time?. They should be doing the same as Red Bull bringing up new blood for the future, not stagnating.

Interesting article today in the Daily Express, BTCC now has a higher spectating audience than F1, the BTCC  figures up by nearly 20% . ITV are quite pleased !!

Better than average, if you compare  points scored between team mates. Only Leclerk and the Hulk (narrowly) have scored better compared to their team mates.

As for Red Bull, I suggest you look at Autosport for some in depth evaluation of their driver programme and its effect.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, micklner said:

Much better racing, better overtaking (except Platos inability to pass anyone without spinning their car around), 3 races a day with the weight penalties and reversed grid race, drivers that like being interviewed etc, whats not to like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Red Bull don't have a 5-time world champion in their line up, so comparisons about nurturing young blood are moot, particularly given their propensity to oust people who don't perform. I'm not sure a cut-throat mentality is particularly nurturing.

Bottas is a great number 2. Ocon is a huge unknown and having not driven for a year could either be a bit of a disaster, or risks upsetting Hamilton if he turns out to not to be so rusty and goes up against him more aggressively.

Wait a couple of years until Hamilton retires, then put Ocon in as number 1 perhaps. Renault will be good for him. Hopefully Hulk will end up ousting Grosjean.

• Like 3