Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the enclosed sheet with the TPE Mk5s.

The diagram for the T3 coach - there is no underframe on the exploded diagram.

Has anyone tried dragging via the fixed NEM pocket on the DT yet?

Thinking of recreating the Class 70 pic I've shared earlier.

I'm not sure that it will work unless a moving coupler head - such as a Kadee is fitted - or a tension lock.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Just looking at the enclosed sheet with the TPE Mk5s.

The diagram for the T3 coach - there is no underframe on the exploded diagram.

I'm not sure that it will work unless a moving coupler head - such as a Kadee is fitted - or a tension lock.

The first few seconds here help Mick,just watched it and its what you want to do i think......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZmDgOLd-5k

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, McC said:

We’re always conservative with cover and returns and people always don’t complete orders. there are currently a little more than 150 packs combined of 1 and 2 ‘available’ so no need to run to ebay just yet 👍 this is of course a very small % of the total number of sets in this run. (less than 2%!)

Implying you made over 7500 sets. That’s, um, wow! That’s a LOT of coaches. 

Can confirm the back to backs on my wheel sets checked so far are 14.6 to 14.7. So wide to gauge (not one is 14.5 or less). All other stuff I have seems to be 14.5 max including Accurascale Class 92 and JUA's, so here is the issue. Looks like its going to be a widespread issue, not a rogue axle here and there.

Tried the quick fix of just pushing the axle tighter together but its not having it. Either due to the axle caps or something else. I wonder would it be possible to shave a bit off the axle length with sandpaper of a fine file?

Have to consider whether i try fix myself, return or sell on via ebay! Have to do some more tests to see how widespread the derailing is on non-straight through point running.

Edited by sanspareil
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, sanspareil said:

Can confirm the back to backs on my wheel sets checked so far are 14.6 to 14.7. So wide to gauge (not one is 14.5 or less). All other stuff I have seems to be 14.5 max including Accurascale Class 92 and JUA's, so here is the issue. Looks like its going to be a widespread issue, not a rogue axle here and there.

Tried the quick fix of just pushing the axle tighter together but its not having it. Either due to the axle caps or something else. I wonder would it be possible to shave a bit off the axle length with sandpaper of a fine file?

Have to consider whether i try fix myself, return or sell on via ebay! Have to do some more tests to see how widespread the derailing is on non-straight through point running.

Sounds a little off. if it manifests as running issue do please send them back to us (free returns) and we’ll send you another pack. 

• Thanks 1

I've been having similar issues as described above with both my CS and TPE sets derailing over Peco Code 100 Pointwork. Unfortunately its hard to check with the back to back gauge I have as it won't slide over the drum for the pickup in the centre of the axle, and certainly can't use it to squeeze the wheels in as I have with other stock previously. Sounds like I need to get some digital callipers so I can check the measurements that way, but based on several comments above reporting the same issue it seems probable that the back to back is the issue.

4 hours ago, McC said:

Sounds a little off. if it manifests as running issue do please send them back to us (free returns) and we’ll send you another pack. 

That would be great service. Unfortunately I reported issues with my CS set two and a half weeks ago. After the first couple of responses I received felt like a bit of a rebuff I requested to return the set for exchange, after which I got some replacement bogies. Very simple to swap over, so I was perfectly happy to be sent replacements to swap, and they certainly improved the situation. Unfortunately by removing the most problematic bogies it has now revealed issues on other axles. My TPE set has since arrived with a similar issue which I duly reported and have to receive any response at all.

I've also found the 6 coach Aberdeen set to be very draggy, far more so than my TPE set, which was leading to the magnetic coupling parting. I've partially resolved this by lubricating all the axles. The rolling resistance is still fairly high, but at least the couplings don't part, and the Class 92 is more than a match for them!

It does seem to me the the rolling resistance increases after the stock has been running for a while, maybe 10mins or so. I was wondering if this could be due to the axles warming up and expanding slightly? But not really sure; has anybody else observed this?

I'll be persisting until I get reliable running with both sets, they are head and shoulders the best looking set of coaches on my layout :-)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, newbryford said:

I plan on doing the same, and my line of thought was to either use Kadee, tension lock or 3D print a bar with a joint in.

21 hours ago, 22C said:

Hi @adamvb, just out of interest, is it the white end lights that are flickering when the DT is in reverse, or is it that the correct lights are on but are flickering in general?

The end lights on my DT work perfectly well when running forwards (i.e. push mode) but when running in reverse (i.e. pull mode), the red lights work fine, but the white end lights flicker and occasionally as does the destination board (which is mostly off when in reverse and on running forwards - I’m unsure if it is meant to be on in both directions). I have already emailed the Accurascale support team so hopefully there is a solution.

Hey @22C

Thanks for coming back to me - I've checked and its the same regardless of whether they are running the right direction the match the lights or not - just intermittant flickering over points, curves, allsorts - some of it without pattern. I emailed them midweek and I am aware Simon has a couple of sets that he will look at, but seeing further videos on Youtube over the past few days of other peoples having the same issue, the lighting circuit can't have a stay alive and I'm guessing the only fix will be to fit a decoder with stay alive - will be good to hear back from Accurascale.

Taken alongside my 92 that came back today after a month away due to a faulty solder joint and motor returning with the pipe detail bent out of shape and wedged into the body in reassembly and a clicking its developed whilst its been away when running slowly, and that it took 4 months to get spares to resolve the issues with the chains for my Deltic which is also showing motor issues I'm really unlucky versus everyone else. Will have to report back to Accurascale again on Monday when I can face it - hoping running in solves the clicking on the 92!

Further edit: Also, the powerbank in the 92 now seems to be unoperational too since return - after 10 mins running the loco immediately stops when track power stopped - anyone know if there is a connector for it that would be obvious to check inside incase it hasn't been reconnected whilst back with them? Will ask in the 92 thread.

Edited by adamvb
Additional info
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I had issue with my mk5s the Lights in the DT flashed like a strobe. If you take the bogies off the contacts for the lights can be seen mine were greased up to the eyeballs I cleaned it off with a cotton bud and no more flashing. Mine also derailed on points I pushed in the wheels using a B2B gauge and no more derailments. My class 92 went back for the same issues as yours. Not sure of the results but it being exchanged when the posting for the TPEs is done. The power bank never worked successfully. One thing I can take away from all this is not really bother with the forums contact the support direct. They are quick to answer and so far have been superb.

Interesting about the lights - will wait to hear back from Simon and if no success will have a look. I get the comment about contacting them directly, and I have as I mentioned contacted them about the MK5s (awaiting reply from in the week), the 92 (which has come back with more faults that it went away with), and my Deltic - for which spares took 4 months to come despite apparent numerous apparent attempts and lots of chases (I don't think I've had any updates without chasing), and now it is showing similar irregular performace at the 92 was - although thankfully that issue is now not present on the 92 now it has come back. Given its been away a month O was hoping it would come back and just be right - I will reach out to @McCand the team again on Monday, but my experience hasn't been great so far which is a surprise given the general consensus!

Additional info: this is my 3rd example of the 92 - the previous 2 both having had marks on the body and the same running issues as the one that has been back and turned out to be the motor and solder joints.

Edited by adamvb
Additional info.

38 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Has Dapol made that many TPE class 68’s ?

I think this depends,  7500 individual coaches makes 1500 sets - if that's 1500 sets total then perhaps 750 of each pack - reasonable to assume given Dapol have (by Hattons database) produced 10 catalogue numbers worth then perhaps at least 1500 68s exist. 

Although given how long the dispatch process has gone on, given my experience in picking and packing, unless something is very wrong, packing circa 150 a day seems slightly off, our operation has the ability to pack that an hour with similar sized cartons (albeit not models sadly!) and we employ 3 members of staff in that department currently.

Edited by Josiah
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Josiah said:

I think this depends,  7500 individual coaches makes 1500 sets - if that's 1500 sets total then perhaps 750 of each pack - reasonable to assume given Dapol have (by Hattons database) produced 10 catalogue numbers worth then perhaps at least 1500 68s exist. 

Although given how long the dispatch process has gone on, given my experience in picking and packing, unless something is very wrong, packing circa 150 a day seems slightly off, our operation has the ability to pack that an hour with similar sized cartons (albeit not models sadly!) and we employ 3 members of staff in that department currently.

To clarify the 150 or so PACKS was less than 2% of the run :) Our warehouse has been dispatching about 300-350 orders per day (in addition to our ordinary level of shipments of all in stock other locos and wagons etc)

Edited by McC
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Josiah said:

Welcome to the forum.

Dapol has made 5 TPE class 68’s…

Brutus (2018)

Destroyer, Achilles (2020)

Felix, Splendid (2022)*

Brutus was initially a shelf sticker, until the mk5’s were announced and then it became very rare. Destroyer and Achilles leaped from the shelves and raised in price. However Felix and Enterprise seem to be hanging around, maybe everyones got enough now. Aside of Destroyer, prices on the early ones seem to have normalised…

A quick glance on ebay and other retailer sites that show stock levels, I very quickly soon found over 100 TPE 68’s on sale (mostly Felix and Splendid), so theres plenty of TPE68’s around.

i would imagine several people may own more than 1 TPE class 68, but not very many would own TPE mk5’s without a TPE 68.

on that guess i’d assume more TPE 68’s demand exist than mk5 sets, but demand for coaches wouldnt really exceed TPE68’s, and probably lags a little way behind.

i myself have more TPE68’s than mk5 sets, and couldn't imagine buying more sets unless the livery changes… indeed being lucky enough to see two sets at the same place / time out on the rail network is a bit of a challenge! .. Art seems to be mimicking reality too!

* produced without front handrails fitted in error.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Well I got my tpe mk5 coaches this morning ,but NOT helped by the numpty DHL driver who managed to deliver them next door despite the parcel being correctly addressed. You think the large numbers on the wheelie bins parked next to front doors at both our houses might have given the game away! I had a notification on my iPad so went to investigate,no parcel on doorstep, could see van reversing along road so attempted to flag him down, but was ignored and he drove off. Could see a parcel on next doors doorstep so went to have a look; sure enough it was my delivery from Accurascale. Next door neighbour not in to notify of  incorrect delivery ,so I took it into my home and notified them later. Having finally got them inside had a good look at the models, the coaches look visually stunning and the box artwork is very nice as well. I look forward to being able to get them on to the layout and giving the TPE class 68’s something to do!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, d46037 said:

NOT helped by the numpty DHL driver who managed to deliver them next door despite the parcel being correctly addressed.

Just proves its right what they say,you cannot fix stupid,a lot of these companys now dont hire on merit and ability obviously,i notice a lot are just plain vans and no uniform too.

• Agree 1

After seeing a few posts on here and Facebook about the running of the coaches, I thought I’d check mine. The first sleeper ran fine over a set of Peco Code 75 crossings, however the second derailed. I pushed it over slowly to see where and how it derailed, and it turned out the wheel climbed over the rail at the point of derailment.

So it was out with the back to back gauge, which is 14.5mm, and lo and behold every single wheelset on my 8 sleepers just let the gauge slip through, sometimes with excessive play. I don’t have a set of calipers but some axles are definitely up towards 15mm I would say.

26807EE4-4D91-4613-9121-B839BAA250EB.jpeg.3623672e12ea9f9c8c2f99f9b9eb2b0e.jpeg

I tried to push the wheels in by hand, however I only managed one axle before a) my fingers hurt and b) the second was too stubborn. Plan B consisted of using my homemade vice, which handily has some 10mm diameter recesses where the screws hold the jaws to the body - perfect for pushing on the wheel face with the jaws, allowing the axle cover to sit unhindered in the recess.

284EB1B9-2211-4FE0-941D-A3B923CD446D.jpeg.8e52121f5ed49eb32af7a22bafb4c763.jpeg

I found that once I’d nipped it up, each wheelset would 'crack' with more pressure applied, as the glue holding on the axle cover was overcome. On every axle I did, the axle cover became loose/fell off on each of the insulated wheels.

5863AF3B-32EE-43F3-8D6B-CA409066250A.jpeg.c1505b4c2c40d16df2eb353a178216a1.jpeg

No problem, I thought, as a drop of superglue would secure them back in. However, each one needed the original glue residue removing with a knife, otherwise the caps would not seat properly now the axle protrudes slightly further through each wheel. I had to scour the (grey) carpet about a dozen times during this process……

So not an insurmountable issue, however it took me about an hour to do 4 coaches. Not the kind of time I’d choose to spend rectifying a manufacturing error. Other errors like details breaking or even livery errors (for example), I can live with and might choose to rectify myself. The coaches not being able to run due to incorrect back to backs however, I’m less impressed with. I can honestly say I’ve never known RTR B2Bs as bad as this - most manufacturers are usually slightly tighter than 14.5mm, which is often fine due to the increased tyre width of 00/RP25 wheels compared with "true" width, such as on P4 wheels.

I dread having to repeat this on my other 4 coaches and lose another hour of my life…

Thanks,

Jack.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I know that the folk at accurascale must be getting fed up of this question, but do we have any idea when the mk5 pre orders will go up for general sale?

I’m only asking because I’m in an unavoidable meeting tomorrow and my boss is not likely to take it too well if I duck out to buy model trains :) 

even if it was a ‘not tomorrow afternoon’ that would help me not stress about it :)

Edited by Edge
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, ba14eagle said:

Too many pages to scroll through so pls help me out.

My TPE DT has an axle that doesnt turn freely - anyone else got a fix?

support@accurascale.co.uk  :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

5 hours ago, Edge said:

I know that the folk at accurascale must be getting fed up of this question, but do we have any idea when the mk5 pre orders will go up for general sale?

I’m only asking because I’m in an unavoidable meeting tomorrow and my boss is not likely to take it too well if I duck out to buy model trains :) 

even if it was a ‘not tomorrow afternoon’ that would help me not stress about it :)

Have to wait until I and other EU/World customers get their pre orders lol 🙂

• Agree 1