Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham108 said:

Finally got to run my Aberdeen pack of 6 - and I can't get round a corner (4th radius) without the engine running off on its own. Is there a working solution, or do I just remove the magnetic things and replace with standard tension lock couplings? 

There's two small bumps on the coupling face. Filing these off will increase the coupling force. They are prototypical and represent the brake pipe connections on the real carriages, but get a bit in the way here.  Some people further up thread had problems with one of the magnets being the wrong way around causing a very weak coupling. Have you tried with a different coupling in the loco and/or the carriages in a different order? You could narrow down if it's one particular coupling causing the problem. 

2 hours ago, Graham108 said:

Finally got to run my Aberdeen pack of 6 - and I can't get round a corner (4th radius) without the engine running off on its own. Is there a working solution, or do I just remove the magnetic things and replace with standard tension lock couplings? 

I 3D printed myself some bars and used them instead, Hunt Elites weren't strong enough and I had issues with Kadees (I think to do with undulating track). It was with the AS92 that I couldn't pull 8 so you'd think if it was going to work with anything it would with that.

Hunt Elites pull 5 TPE ones though. Don't know about the AS ones as we didn't get one for the coach-loco connection.

Received pack 1 of the TPE sets today, same modifications as pack 2 were required and were covered in a previous post, but was well worth the effort once the pair was running!

unable so show any videos here and I’ve not yet got a YouTube channel running, however here’s one shot of the pair! More may follow at a later date.

12804 from pack 2 (with 68 034 at the rear) powers up the incline to the upper heritage line station working a summer special, while 12801 from pack 1 coasts along the mains (with 68 027 ‘splendid at the head off scene) on a regular service.

62D38F40-D019-4C0D-B4C2-576B666BEFB8.jpeg.4d558434852e1d64cc352474ddd33ab5.jpeg

I’m yet to fit the destination boards, and the coaches will shortly be going back in their boxes to protect them while the layout undergoes some upgrades, but couldn’t resist getting them out and having a play around

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, frobisher said:

So this is the loco to rake connection that's going rather than between the carriages? Tension locks may just give you different problems... Which loco is causing the issues?

Accurascale Class 92038 - but as it doesn't get round the curve I can't tell if the link between coaches would also be an issue!

14 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

There's two small bumps on the coupling face. Filing these off will increase the coupling force. They are prototypical and represent the brake pipe connections on the real carriages, but get a bit in the way here.  Some people further up thread had problems with one of the magnets being the wrong way around causing a very weak coupling. Have you tried with a different coupling in the loco and/or the carriages in a different order? You could narrow down if it's one particular coupling causing the problem. 

Thanks for the advice - will try out some of your suggestions

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, scumcat said:

Thanks for your reply, I did try all the functions up to 9 but will have another look after the weekend, I am desperate for it not to need to go  back. I am still waiting for my 92 to come back. I was assured it was being posted back on Friday but haven’t had any notification yet. So just a bit frustrated at the moment.

I was told further up that it’s a logic level output (there’s a transistor on the coach that does the power switching), so you may need to alter settings on the decoder to enable this. 

13 hours ago, scumcat said:

I can’t seem to get the main headlights to work on the DT. I have fitted a  ESU 54621 LokPilot function only decoder. 6 function. So far I have marker lights going forward. Cab light and high intensity and destination board above the cab. But no main beam. I’ll look at it again on Monday as I’m work tomorrow. I am exasperated. This is the second decoder I put in these. I originally tried a bog standard lais 21 pin mTc. But changed my mind and bought this lol pilot. 

I might be incorrect but isn't the light a marker light sometimes refered to cant rail light and part of the marker lights?...the high intensity lights you referred to are the head lights, head lights and markers for mainline running markers only for yard work?

But might be incorrect as been off the main line for a few years...tpe driver please verify!  There must be a tpe crank reading this thread🤔

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

I might be incorrect but isn't the light a marker light sometimes refered to cant rail light and part of the marker lights?...the high intensity lights you referred to are the head lights, head lights and markers for mainline running markers only for yard work?

But might be incorrect as been off the main line for a few years...tpe driver please verify!  There must be a tpe crank reading this thread🤔

https://www.facebook.com/groups/546080639654054

heres the guy to ask as he drives for TPE

He puts some great videos up on you tube for a good cause too

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, scumcat said:

I watched the great video by Peter Dixon Torrington road. He cannot get the cab light to work. Mine does , his headlights come on mine do not. I have been told I may have to alter the setting’s to enable this. I do not really understand why. Surely having the lights come on is a basic function of DCC. Accurascale work with ESU and lokpilot a lot that’s why I bought that decoder I thought it might work straight out of the packet.

there will be some logic or CV changes I expect, just sadly they didn’t have a decoder ready to go.

case in point - the new Graham Farish Class 60 requires you to edit CVs when you install a DCC decoder to get the lights to work properly when going from DC to DCC.

that very much seems to be a case here.

the fact you have the lights working on one decoder that someone else doesn’t on another - sounds like accurascale need to release a CV sheet. 

maybe someone from Accurascale can comment on what decoder they used during testing to confirm it all worked - at the very least that gives an option for people to compare CVs to or potentially buy whilst they work on a specific decoder release.

Edited by Awes0mesauce

• RMweb Premium

On DC, the cab light comes on with the marker lights.

The magic wand is used while the set is in motion, to turn the cab light off, but every time the train stops, and is re-started the cab light comes back on !

I'm not particularly a fan of cab lights, so luckily a little square of masking tape is all I need to sort the issue....😆

cheers,

Phil. 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Or use DCC..... ;)

The rake is longer than our DCC shunting plank !! 😆

That's the reason I don't like cab lights that go on & off with movement, it looks weird on the shed scene....

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I do use dcc but still can’t get things to work😂

I've used a 6x full power output decoder (from Rails, DCCconcepts and AE models) and linked out the transistor on AUX3. ( There goes the warranty......). Then configured AUX3 to work as F0 forwards, as I won't be using it in yard mode with markers/top only. When I figure it out, I'll use the spare 6th output for the passenger saloon lights. I think I'll akso put the destination indicator on with F0 on both directions, as they are also lit when trailing in normal service. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

I was told further up that it’s a logic level output (there’s a transistor on the coach that does the power switching), so you may need to alter settings on the decoder to enable this. 

ESU decoders are logic level above AUX 2 anyway on the pins, except for the MKL versions which you normally need to make a point of looking for.

Edited by TomScrut

On 04/02/2023 at 23:42, adb968008 said:

Welcome to the forum.

Dapol has made 5 TPE class 68’s…

Brutus (2018)

Destroyer, Achilles (2020)

Felix, Splendid (2022)*

Brutus was initially a shelf sticker, until the mk5’s were announced and then it became very rare. Destroyer and Achilles leaped from the shelves and raised in price. However Felix and Enterprise seem to be hanging around, maybe everyones got enough now. Aside of Destroyer, prices on the early ones seem to have normalised…

A quick glance on ebay and other retailer sites that show stock levels, I very quickly soon found over 100 TPE 68’s on sale (mostly Felix and Splendid), so theres plenty of TPE68’s around.

i would imagine several people may own more than 1 TPE class 68, but not very many would own TPE mk5’s without a TPE 68.

on that guess i’d assume more TPE 68’s demand exist than mk5 sets, but demand for coaches wouldnt really exceed TPE68’s, and probably lags a little way behind.

i myself have more TPE68’s than mk5 sets, and couldn't imagine buying more sets unless the livery changes… indeed being lucky enough to see two sets at the same place / time out on the rail network is a bit of a challenge! .. Art seems to be mimicking reality too!

* produced without front handrails fitted in error.

They did indeed produce 5 running numbers, but actually 10 catalogue numbers (DCC and non DCC). 

The manual implies there is no function key set to operate aux3 by default.

7.1. Factory Default Values
The address is set to 03 with 14 speed steps.
LokPilot V4.0

LokPilot V4.0 DCC

LokPilot V4.0 M4
LokPilot micro V4.0

LokPilot micro V4.0 DCC  
LokPilot XL V4.0
LokPilot Fx V4.0

F1 switches output AUX1.
F2 switches output AUX2.
F3 switches the shunting mode on and off.
F4 switches the acceleration and deceleration on and off.

On 12/02/2023 at 18:34, markw said:

The manual implies there is no function key set to operate aux3 by default.

I was wondering about that, but I didn't see that part, just the mapping table later on. It shows the mapping table for the micro, which is only 4 function anyway so I presumed it continued after the yard and acceleration functions with AUX3 on F5.

@scumcat, do you know how to program the CVs for the function outputs on these decoders? I can look later if you like, I'll warn you now though I am a bit rusty as it's been a couple of years since I got my LokProgrammer so haven't had to bother since!

Edit. Just looked. For basic F5 turns lights on (on the Lokpilot 4) when heading forwards, you do the following....

CV31 to 16

CV32 to 2

CV490 to 16

CV482 to 64 (added 15/02/23) in case this isn't already set.

That sets line 15 to run AUX3, line 15 should be F5 forward by default.

If you also want to add a condition that they only come on with F0 active (and F5 pressed), then also do:

CV481 to 20

If I recall correctly, the DT is set up with front markers when going forward, so if doing something to make the DT act with a loco (either with the same address on the DT or with consisting) then you'll need to add 1 to CV 29 to set it the same as the loco, with the loco being at the front. The decoder automatically reverses the directional conditions in the mapping table.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Josiah said:

They did indeed produce 5 running numbers, but actually 10 catalogue numbers (DCC and non DCC). 

If were playing semantics it maybe upto 15, Dcc fitted having “D” , and, additionally, I believe exclusive from Dapol,  sound fitted ones having an “S” prefix.

However, its still 5 numbers, delivered in 3 releases.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it me, or has the download manuals/help page disappeared?

I've seen the Mk5 leaflet (and other help info), but it doesn't want to be found on the website anymore.

(My leaflet for the Mk5 set is elsewhere from my Mk5s)

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Is it me, or has the download manuals/help page disappeared?

I've seen the Mk5 leaflet (and other help info), but it doesn't want to be found on the website anymore.

(My leaflet for the Mk5 set is elsewhere from my Mk5s)

Hi Mick,

If you go into the chatbot option on the website you can find them per model type. Here is the TPE Mark 5 leaflet: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0019/3957/0801/files/Mk5_TPE_information_sheet.pdf?v=1676301391

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1