Class 92, By Accurascale

Hi All, Good Morning!

Just like to add a(another?) thumbs up from me for the Accurascale 92! 

I managed to run my EWS 92 001 properly last night, pulling decent length trains at speed and learning 'what was what' on the sound chip, a familiarisation run if you like!

( alongside my pals Calley Sleeper variant, which was also running in. )

Driving the Loco. was lots of fun as it was super smooth etc and all the features were I think, really well thought out. The stay alive was extremely impressive over VERY dirty track!

However, the highlight for me was the 'Over Head Neutral Section' feature. My pal showed me how to set this up, at 3 seconds duration on my Z21 and just Wow! What an accurate sound detail! Being very familiar with how these work in the real world, this feature really impressed me!

There was one small issue with my pals Caledonian Sleeper 92, which was oil leakage from one bogie which had gone all over the bodysides during transit(?), but this hadn't happened with my EWS one. Definitely easy enough to clean up but just thought it strange and sure that this is a rarity.

So, both of us were really impressed with these exceptional models, Thankyou Accurascale!

Best Wishes for 2023....and beyond! Looking forward to your next project.....detail, detail, detail! lols.....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
Added bolster text...
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all, my vast apologies if I've missed the posts on this one, I'm sure I'd read somewhere that the Class 92 sound chips will be available seperately, I have 92010 just standard analogue but I've also got 92020 & 036 with DCC sound onboard. I've absolutely fallen in love with the sound suite & want to get 92010 equipped, I know the none sound chips are available from the Accurascale website but can't see any option for a sound chip. I think I read somewhere that LegoManBiffo is offering these but wanted to be sure before I purchased one from him. On checking the DC kits website I see he has several options available to purchase so which of these would I pick to have the same sound & functions the Accurascale one comes with as standard, also is it a relatively easy job to fit them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards.

21 hours ago, Shedmaster said:

There was one small issue with my pals Caledonian Sleeper 92, which was oil leakage from one bogie which had gone all over the bodysides during transit(?), but this hadn't happened with my EWS one. Definitely easy enough to clean up but just thought it strange and sure that this is a rarity.

Sssssshhhhhh! He will get an invoice for the oil!   

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, vanbasher said:

Morning all, my vast apologies if I've missed the posts on this one, I'm sure I'd read somewhere that the Class 92 sound chips will be available seperately, I have 92010 just standard analogue but I've also got 92020 & 036 with DCC sound onboard. I've absolutely fallen in love with the sound suite & want to get 92010 equipped, I know the none sound chips are available from the Accurascale website but can't see any option for a sound chip. I think I read somewhere that LegoManBiffo is offering these but wanted to be sure before I purchased one from him. On checking the DC kits website I see he has several options available to purchase so which of these would I pick to have the same sound & functions the Accurascale one comes with as standard, also is it a relatively easy job to fit them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards.

Hi @vanbasher,

As Legomanbiffo provided the sounds for our 92 we wont be selling the sound decoders separately ourselves. However, if you go to Legomanbiffo direct he will be able to sell you the fully optimised decoder which will be just plug and play. 

The body pops off with four lugs on each corner of the loco as detailed in the instructions on the exploded diagram in the box. Just take a little care not to flex the body too much as it can pop the grilles out. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, retbsignalman said:

Thank you! 

I used the time honoured t-cut and light rubbing with a cotton bud. Both the numbers and printed name came off with little effort. 

Conveniently Railtec Transfers do a sheet with 92009 on which was spot on for my chosen renumber. 

Regards 

Graeme 

Yeah, its a loco that could or could not be done in the future..... On the positive one of the three with RFD branding giving it a little uniqueness, but at the same time already done in DB as Marco Polo! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, vanbasher said:

Kind regards.

This is the one required https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1853 that i ordered and arrived by Special Delivery the next day

24 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

This is the one required https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1853 that i ordered and arrived by Special Delivery the next day

Thank you very much Smoggy, there are 4 options on the right hand column which one is it for just the simple plug & play please? I know its obviously not option 1 as that is none sound. the other 3 options are, 21 pin decoder without a speaker, 21 pin + mini bass spk & 21 pin + 2 mini bass spk. I imagine the ones with added speakers would require some soldering work to fit? I think all 92's come with an Accurathrash speaker built in don't they? I'm at work at present so haven't got access to 92010 to check the speaker situation. Sorry for all the questions, but many thanks for your help.

On 09/01/2023 at 11:32, MRDBLUE17 said:

The bodyshell unclips easily (I did manage to ping a grill off doing this) these are very fine etched parts and the factory did a good job carefully putting these on with tiny dabs of glue. I can see how these will come off through handling and are easy to fit back with a very tiny spot of glue on a pin

2 of my grills have also pooped off.  What glue should I use to refit them?  Also I can't see where the clips are too unlock the pantographs, and unfortunately I've knocked both pantographs off of one of my 92s.  Anyone know how to to put them back?

1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

Also I can't see where the clips are too unlock the pantographs, and unfortunately I've knocked both pantographs off of one of my 92s.  Anyone know how to to put them back?

The clip is at the elbow of the pantograph and needs a finger nail or small flat screwdriver to gently prise it up until it clicks free, it doesn't need much force!

The heads of the pantographs just clip back on, but you need to get the position and angle right. Look at some photos to see how they should look and gently clip back into place, best to support the upper arm of the pantograph as you do this.

Hope this helps

Jeremy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

2 of my grills have also pooped off.  What glue should I use to refit them?  Also I can't see where the clips are too unlock the pantographs, and unfortunately I've knocked both pantographs off of one of my 92s.  Anyone know how to to put them back?

Hi Dixie Dean,

I had the same issue regarding unclipping... it wasn't too clear at first.

There are two U-shaped protrusions from the 92's roof molding into which a small rod fed through the elbow of the pantograph clips... it is this that holds the pantograph down.

In the image below, I have circled the 'elbow' of the pantograph.  On the far side, you can see a silver feature, which I very gently rested a small flat head screwdriver over the top of and fed the tip under the white circled part below the arm, i.e. at the tip of the arrow, just below the black pantograph elbow.  Then, very carefully offered a little leverage to the underside of the arm and the pantograph unclipped.  It does not take much force to do it, so remove and re-check the screwdriver is positioned properly if it does not release relatively easily.

NOTE:  The U-shaped clip protrusions can just be seen bottom right of the white circle in the image, so you are using the screwdriver to lever just to the left of them.  That high voltage wire (behind the arrow) is why it's easier to lever from the other side, just above the silver feature.

For info, I also found control of the pantographs a little confusing at first but there are two Function keys that you can use to 'test' them (the function number is in the 20's) and helped me confirm both were working.

1473575193_Acc_92_P_Unclip-FB.png.34280aaa24b0b1eb5f2ba7dcd1379721.png

Hope that helps!

Ixion.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, vanbasher said:

Thank you very much Smoggy, there are 4 options on the right hand column which one is it for just the simple plug & play please? I know its obviously not option 1 as that is none sound. the other 3 options are, 21 pin decoder without a speaker, 21 pin + mini bass spk & 21 pin + 2 mini bass spk. I imagine the ones with added speakers would require some soldering work to fit? I think all 92's come with an Accurathrash speaker built in don't they? I'm at work at present so haven't got access to 92010 to check the speaker situation. Sorry for all the questions, but many thanks for your help.

You need a decoder as Mc C says ONLY.  Charlie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My second 92 arrived from Accurascale today. The box lid really didn't want to come off, having vacuum sealed itself to the box, but I eventually got it off to open and unpack everything. What I found was that the front coupling was still in place but dropped off after I put 92 020 down on the bench! No matter, I decided to fit the front dam instead. Also, one of the grilles was missing right from the get-go. OK, reopen the box (same vacuum seal formed again!), pulled everything out, and I mean everything, but no sign of the grille. Put it all back, then the lid on, then decided to have another check. Swear at box lid for the third time. This time, when pulling the outer sleeve off the inner ice cube, I saw the grille clinging to the side by static attraction. Relief! That meant I didn't have to bother the boys at Accurascale. 

One thing I have been doing to make sure that I put the bodies back on the correct way around is to use a Sharpie pen to draw a small arrow on the inside "ceiling" of the body and a corresponding arrow on one of the light coloured chassis components. I know that the side clips won't align if I get it wrong anyway, but it saves a bit of faffing around when putting the body back on.

92 020 has a temporary Zimo MX638 decoder, but it isn't set up correctly for all the lighting and panto functions. I tried switching between MX638C and MX638D (a simple CV trick Zimo has), but it made no difference. I'm not worrying about it as I have some ESU decoders, both LokPilot and LokSound on the way, intended for this and another 92 coming from Kernow Model Centre.

I can say that with the Zimo decoder, the running is silent and very, very smooth, on the initial tests.

20230113_120848.jpg.8f9a9bb610232e306bb139b507c455f0.jpg

20230113_142350.jpg.4c6be9721a4d8d03d18c11f67aac48d3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Finally had a chance to get the rolling road out and run in my two 92s. They absolutely purr along, can't wait to see them hauling my rake of sleepers along. Having run 92003 Beethoven in, it was time for an identity change. The names and numbers came off easily with a cotton bud dipped in enamel thinners. No damage to the underlying paint either. So with a few Railtec transfers I now have 92045 Chaucer. I highly doubt that Accurascale will make an EPS version of the 92 ever, so I took the plunge and bought Beethoven from this batch to rename. Hopefully one of these days I'll get around to making my rake of Nightstar sleepers so Chaucer will have something to haul.

IMG_2446.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

I highly doubt that Accurascale will make an EPS version of the 92 ever, so I took the plunge and bought Beethoven from this batch to rename.

Well, that guarantees an EPS one in the next batch!

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Well, that guarantees an EPS one in the next batch!

Roy

I wasn’t going to get this one and rename it, I was hoping for an EPS one in the next batch. Then one of the Accurascale boys said the next run wouldn’t be for a number of years, so I ended up getting this one. I think we can say that the 92 isn’t as popular as the deltic or 37. There are still a number of 92s available on Accurascale’s website, and on other shops. Whereas the Deltic had sold out by the time it landed, or maybe very shortly after. And the 37 is sold out on pre-order. I think maybe the market for the 92 is saturated for a while. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I wasn’t going to get this one and rename it, I was hoping for an EPS one in the next batch. Then one of the Accurascale boys said the next run wouldn’t be for a number of years, so I ended up getting this one. I think we can say that the 92 isn’t as popular as the deltic or 37. There are still a number of 92s available on Accurascale’s website, and on other shops. Whereas the Deltic had sold out by the time it landed, or maybe very shortly after. And the 37 is sold out on pre-order. I think maybe the market for the 92 is saturated for a while. 

I remember something being mentioned on here, so I have got 2x EWS ones to renumber as 031. My 003 is going to become 046. 

• Like 1