Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

Subtle variation on DB red (large logos) now applied to 029 as outshopped yesterday (credit: James Hartley). Fingers crossed this, combined with the work they’ve done on a few, means we’ll see DB ones back on the WCML soon. 

image.png.3ab7357b9da08b0426607ea9c2addf7c.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Subtle variation on DB red (large logos) now applied to 029 as outshopped yesterday (credit: James Hartley). Fingers crossed this, combined with the work they’ve done on a few, means we’ll see DB ones back on the WCML soon. 

There's something very German about seeing the DB red on a flat sided loco. Just needs some mints and BR arrows / shed plates :P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, njee20 said:

I’d kinda missed that it was missing the mints. Sad times. Given DB had preserved them to date. 

Just over a month to rub down and repaint.

I can't see them clearing the internal space to take the circles off.. so I guess Uncle Makita and his angle grinder took them off.

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Johnson Street IEMD,

As above, easier to respray a loco without them fitted. Something like 92010 or 92020 in our first run would be good candidates. Would have the prototypically correct upgraded LED lights too.

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran,

I don’t think that 92044 or 92032 got the upgraded lights that the sleeper fleet got, although happy to be corrected. 

Cheers,

Andi. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I can't see them clearing the internal space to take the circles off.. so I guess Uncle Makita and his angle grinder took them off.

From the outside? Surely not. They'd be worth a fair bit I'd have thought.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, E100 said:

From the outside? Surely not. They'd be worth a fair bit I'd have thought.

Maybe worth less than the effort of resource time to go into the cubicle remove cabinets to get access to them.

I could be wrong, but the locos just taken years to get running.. to then take it to Toton and strip bits out, just to get at them would be extreme.. unless those cabinets were taken out anyway maybe, but its only been there a month and its a conscious effort to remove the plaques and arrows too.

Dont forget at least a dozen of the class rotting in sidings, and a bunch overseas with the plaques etc still on, so,clearly no value or sentiment attached.

The bodyside looks a bit rough though… I bet thats taken a bit of filler too.

cold hearted I know, but If I were given the job and a time limit, thats what i’d do.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Hi Fran,

I don’t think that 92044 or 92032 got the upgraded lights that the sleeper fleet got, although happy to be corrected. 

Cheers,

Andi. 

Hi Andi,

Thanks for the correction, I had forgotten that it's GBRf who are the ones who upgrade their lights. I don't think DB have done so to date.

Cheers!

Fran 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe worth less than the effort of resource time to go into the cubicle remove cabinets to get access to them.

I could be wrong, but the locos just taken years to get running.. to then take it to Toton and strip bits out, just to get at them would be extreme.. unless those cabinets were taken out anyway maybe, but its only been there a month and its a conscious effort to remove the plaques and arrows too.

Dont forget at least a dozen of the class rotting in sidings, and a bunch overseas with the plaques etc still on, so,clearly no value or sentiment attached.

The bodyside looks a bit rough though… I bet thats taken a bit of filler too.

cold hearted I know, but If I were given the job and a time limit, thats what i’d do.

Perhaps they were drilled off then grind the remaining bolts away? No need to damage the polo.

Roy

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

We all know it was in running condition at Crewe but it didn’t leave there under its own power, nor did it leave instantly after being under its own power. Maybe the cabinets never made the trip across to Toton? Maybe when it’s back at Crewe IEMD they might get put back in? I’d have thought taking uncle Makita would cause more harm than good!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, XChris said:

We all know it was in running condition at Crewe but it didn’t leave there under its own power, nor did it leave instantly after being under its own power. Maybe the cabinets never made the trip across to Toton? Maybe when it’s back at Crewe IEMD they might get put back in? I’d have thought taking uncle Makita would cause more harm than good!

But as I said above, there is no need for an angle grinder, yes the cabinets must be removed to unbolt the polos, but equally they can be drilled off from the outisde.

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

But as I said above, there is no need for an angle grinder, yes the cabinets must be removed to unbolt the polos, but equally they can be drilled off from the outisde.

Roy

Uncle Makita has a great toolbox.

😀

• Funny 1

On 13/07/2023 at 11:21, njee20 said:

Probably only when being bussed back and forth by a 66, 67 or the only remaining DB90 in service, Backbone branded 90039 on the moves like the below:

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seems unlikely given they’ve been upgrading them to work under their own power on the WCML. 011 and 029 have been upgraded in line with GBRf ones and have both been tested under their own power on the WCML, either light engine or towing a 90. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Seems unlikely given they’ve been upgrading them to work under their own power on the WCML. 011 and 029 have been upgraded in line with GBRf ones and have both been tested under their own power on the WCML, either light engine or towing a 90. 

Add 92015 in to that list as well 

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, oddly 015 merely shuffled out of Crewe IEMD and back again. The other two had proper runs. But anyway, as I said, be weird to be investing if they don’t intend to use them domestically. 029 was bought out of storage too, and they’ve never needed extras to run the tunnel services previously. 

Edited by njee20
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Yeah, oddly 015 merely shuffled out of Crewe IEMD and back again. The other two had proper runs. But anyway, as I said, be weird to be investing if they don’t intend to use them domestically. 029 was bought out of storage too, and they’ve never needed extras to run the tunnel services previously. 

Its my understanding that they have borrowed GBRf 92s on HS1 in some capacity in times gone by, it makes sense to have one fresh 92 into the pool so the EWS beasties liveried 92s can be taken out, repainted (which takes a few weeks to do) and any maintenance done without impacting the service. 

13 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Andi,

Thanks for the correction, I had forgotten that it's GBRf who are the ones who upgrade their lights. I don't think DB have done so to date.

Cheers!

Fran 

Me again Fran. 44 and 32 are GBRf machines, but it seems they only put the new lights on the Sleeper/Dellner fitted ones. 

A

4 hours ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Probably only when being bussed back and forth by a 66, 67 or the only remaining DB90 in service, Backbone branded 90039 on the moves like the below:

Think the 90s are doomed alas Kat. Word is 39 is going out of service after its jaunt tomorrow. 

Might it be back to the future with 92s back on freight work? Time will tell. Apparently 92009 is next for resurrection. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Think the 90s are doomed alas Kat. Word is 39 is going out of service after its jaunt tomorrow. 

Might it be back to the future with 92s back on freight work? Time will tell. Apparently 92009 is next for resurrection. 

tomorrow ? 😢

They're very much alive in my modelling world ... we're moving WHM cleaner, greener and quieter ... as opposed to dirtier and noisier - if Freightliner can manage to operate the same locos on the same lines without any of the problems DB have faced, surely, the answer is find out what they do to keep theirs purring ... surely, they wouldnt have to save face too much ...

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

tomorrow ? 😢

They're very much alive in my modelling world ... we're moving WHM cleaner, greener and quieter ... as opposed to dirtier and noisier - if Freightliner can manage to operate the same locos on the same lines without any of the problems DB have faced, surely, the answer is find out what they do to keep theirs purring ... surely, they wouldnt have to save face too much ...

I think it’s also linked to the traffic they could work self contained without a traction change but others better placed would know more. Their regular working - coming south as 4M25 - got merged with the other one - 4M30 - which was lengthened and moved to run overnight to allow them to haul it with a 66 without it getting in the way of passenger traffic. Sad times indeed. 

5 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

I think it’s also linked to the traffic they could work self contained without a traction change but others better placed would know more. Their regular working - coming south as 4M25 - got merged with the other one - 4M30 - which was lengthened and moved to run overnight to allow them to haul it with a 66 without it getting in the way of passenger traffic. Sad times indeed. 

So, what's Backbone up to then ? you lost me a little there ...

2 minutes ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

So, what's Backbone up to then ? you lost me a little there ...

I gather the change of usage has come about cos they unload the load at a different part of Mossend Yard these days and there's not the access to the Overheads where there was previously where they came in to the Euroterminal ... so the 66s are more practical in that sense .. added to the reliability of the 90s in the months leading to the Carstairs work where there were a number of failures ... at those points on the network where the DB90s seem to choke sadly ... Beattock and Shap being notable points ...

19 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Backbone was actually out earlier today on 0Z39 ...