RMweb

Missed the boat

TTDB

TBH, there are plenty of offers if and as one has a good look around.

Specifically I was looking at the TPE - Trans Pennine Express - one.

This indicates as being at a similar offer price to the other variants, but when looking further, no-one has them in stock - of the 'major sellers'.

There do appear to be a couple, in some of the smaller shops we all admittedly LIKE to support when able.

In this instance, I am not prepared to pay full price for an item which was regularly at a much-more-reduced price - I don't want it THAT much.

This is the modern way, unless disposable income is relatively unlimited - which mine isn't.

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 1

If you look at the actual distribution of 68's. TPE are the biggest hitters by some margin, but you wouldn't believe it looking at the models Dapol have issued.

I contacted Dapol who said there might be something ... I know nobody there, but no promises.

Just a bit short-sighted of Dapol TBH - particularly in view of the interest, and the names - they're brilliant!!

I'm holding off, as the speculators are hitting the 'auction site' now, and prices ONLY for the TPE if/when have soared.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

One in the cabinet in the shop at the Dapol factory this morning 

full price £158 

may or may not be for sale but it had a price tag next to it

Edited by big jim
  • Informative/Useful 1

Try a Facebook search.  It was the other night when I saw the post of a retailer who'd renumbered and renamed several tpe 68's and had them for sale.  Can't remember who or how much, but certainly sub £150

Just found that post.

Someone 'asked the question' regarding OO scale - and none left. Sawyer Models.

Just visited his online site and it indicates there is one - renamed but not a name I'm interested in.

I'm sure something will materialise - perhaps a re-release by Dapol with another name ... 

Strange how there are so many DRS ones, and so - relatively - few TPE models.

Definitely Silly Season on the TPE Brutus - there's a DCC one for GBP200 on Ebay now - in the description it's DCC fitted, but still 'over the odds.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Why is it strange? Models are produced in batches - whether Dapol, Hornby or Joe Blogs. Liveries shall be divided in terms of minimum order size for a livery and overall batch size. The TPE, being a new livery has proven popular and out sold the DRS liveries - which have been released in several different numbers (in batches which have previously sold out). Its a pretty standard release program across the hobby. Not strange at all. No doubt in the future there shall be further TPE examples, and until the MK5A coaches are out next year...little point in the TPE? 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Loads of DRS options, one TPE option - that's what's strange.

Of the 34 Class 68's registered in service - according to Wiki - 12 are DRS, 2 are ScotRail, 6 are Chiltern and 14 are TPE.

Al.

Not really. There is only one TPE livery, less than for DRS and TPE didn’t exist for the first round of releases. 

I am sure more TPE will come - we just need to be patient. 

Best regards,

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Any future run would surely be based off successful sales of the current run.

They didnt make TPE in isolation, it was with others.

Unless a clear majority of 68’s sell out, I’d imagine a delay before the next TPE as tooling up one livery alone might not be worthwhile, even if they did multiple numbers.

That said this isn't as rare as suggested, I bought a TPE one on ebay for £100 last month, giving me a second one to renumber. It was advertised as missing a buffer and a wiper, I found the wiper in the box and refitted it, Dapol class 68 buffer spare cost me c£2.

They are out there, its just a bit of patience is required if wanting a cheap one, D1000, 45048 or SECR 592 it aint.

Edited by adb968008

I got one of Ebay yesterday for £185 that is now surplus to needs as I managed to secure another one locally before bidding was over but I could not back out.

Anyways, I'm willing to exchange this for another 68 I missed out out on, Avenger. Same as 019, 008 is sold out everywhere too. Only really willing to exchange it for an as new condition loco like for like.

• RMweb Gold

The question has been asked on Dapol’s digest and the following reply given:

The problem we have, is reaching the batch size for the Class 68. I fear we have satiated all the DRS/Chiltern/Scotrail demand already (we have stock still) and I do not think we will sell a solo run of TPE Class 68's. 

I am sure we will produce more TPE Class 68's but not for a while until we feel confident in having a fair stab at selling the other versions of Class 68 which will have to be made alongside

Roy

• Like 2

They need to understand WHY this happened ...

I'm fairly certain it wouldn't have been the same if Accurascale hadn't announced the TPE Mk.5 coach packs ...

But, as a result of this, the Dapol TPE 68 - the only one they made - cannot be found for sensible money.

I sincerely hope they review and revise their considerations.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

I'm fairly certain it wouldn't have been the same if Accurascale hadn't announced the TPE Mk.5 coach packs ...

But, as a result of this, the Dapol TPE 68 - the only one they made - cannot be found for sensible money.

Al.

I am sure that as soon as it is financially sensible they will, before then we should support their decision, one that they have given an honest reason for. 

Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

I would be very surprised if Dapol didn't release another TPE 68, but as they have said they need to maximise the next batch.  Producing a full run solely in TPE will lead to a lot sitting on retailers shelves, no matter how popular us buyers think they will be.  Out of the 12 or so modellers' I'm in regular contact with, most agree its a great model and a great livery, but not one of us would buy one, down to the fact that none of us model the era/location.

Keep checking eBay, Facebook pages etc etc, one will come up for sale at a reasonable price, or even pick up one in a different number/name and learn the skill of renumbering (if you don't have that skill already)

Joe

Thanks to everyone.

Eyes are peeled.

Common sense prevails of course.

I don't have the 'dark art' of invisible renumbering, but will do one day - thing is, TPE 68 issued was only one, unlike the 5 or 6 DRS ones, that's the problem.

I've no problem with Brutus should I locate and purchase one.

Time will tell ...

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Have many people bought the limited edition DRS one ?

https://shop.directrailservices.com/drs-model-shop/class-68-model

Apparently not enough...........

I wonder if they've had the bodies swapped for the corrected livery?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update from my side regarding the 'TPE Class 68 shortage issue' ... which courtesy of Accurascale, there is ...  !!

I always refuse to pay 'over the odds' from some profit-seeker just trying to take advantage of 'honest John Joe Public' so I was going to hold off.

Another came up, again from Rails, who remain 'reasonable and fair' and I proposed an 'offer' which they accepted.

Thing is, it's DCC fitted.

Long-term I will go down that route, one day .... but currently (no pun intended!) I'm 'DC Analogue' only.

Is there a specific blanking plate ONLY for the Dapol Class 68 or will one of the 'generic' ones labelled as Bachmann 21-pin on Ebay fit?

TBH I didn't like the look of them, even 'though they're probably perfectly OK, so I bought this one - will it be OK - said to simply be '21-pin blanking plate' from the basic appearance?

image.png.6379200f059320c053d902bdb1034070.png

To me it looked more like the Dapol ones than the others going for £1.00 ea on Ebay.

Thanks,

Al.

That's one of the options, and worth considering.

Just hope the blanking plate doesn't short circuit anything - should be fine I've been told ...

Can Dapol DCC locos run on normal DC as they arrive, before programming?

Al.