Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I'm no fool I am doing this in bauxite! It fits in better with my time period, honest. I just realised this morning I had bought a selection of some of these bolts so thought I had better give it a go. Luckily I have two wagon clips that I bought off the internet from Germany but don't ask me who from as I can't remember, will glue them on shortly. I would love another one so I can run them as barrier vehicles either side of explosives but I can't see me doing another anytime soon. Don't get me wrong it goes together very well just that it goes on for ever and I doubt the ends of my fingers would cope with another.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

He can't be he looks nothing like Cybill Shepherd or Bruce Willis. :imsohappy:

Brian needs less hair for one and more for the other...........I'd suggest easier to shave it off than try to grow the hair, better for my teenage memories also, do not ruin those!  :O

:D

Nearly done. I just added some EDM plastic bolts and washers to the corners seeing as Peter Warren has on his but I am in two minds whether to add the bolts on the vent runners as it's a very thin etch to try and drill through. Doors and body not fixed yet just in case I need to get into it as I am still not sure it's totally finished yet so I will just look at it for a while and see if I think off anything else to do.

Nice kit well, executed, museum quality Id say. :yes:  :yes:  :imsohappy:

Done some weathering for a friend on his Heljan 33027, just getting on to take it for a test run.

Very nice, whos the handsome chap standing in front of the loco, he looks strangely familiar!? :mosking:  :secret:  :mosking:

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Gold

Nice kit well, executed, museum quality Id say. :yes:  :yes:  :imsohappy:

Very nice, whos the handsome chap standing in front of the loco, he looks strangely familiar!? :mosking:  :secret:  :mosking:

ATVB

CME

I prefer to look at the old weathered masterpiece behind Bruce or Cybill .... :onthequiet:

Jim

I have just acquired this very nice etched cradle from Pete Harvey Designs for a Warwell so they can carry a Warrior tank. It made up very well and if the weather warms up I should get it painted later. I photographed it on a vac braked JLTRT warwell as my airbraked ones all have vehicles fitted and chained down on them. So I guess I will have to get a Hattons one now to go with this but all I need now is a 7mm Warrior to sit on it. I don't know if ASAM Models do one but theirs will be 1:48 if they do which all my other vehicles are. Only problem is will a 1:48 scale tank sit it's tracks over the cradle, I doubt so personally.

post-6766-0-17038000-1521565792_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-62185700-1521565834_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-73949200-1521565851_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-91746800-1521565869_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-24498600-1521565887_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-07758700-1521565902_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I have just acquired this very nice etched cradle from Pete Harvey Designs for a Warwell so they can carry a Warrior tank. It made up very well and if the weather warms up I should get it painted later. I photographed it on a vac braked JLTRT warwell as my airbraked ones all have vehicles fitted and chained down on them. So I guess I will have to get a Hattons one now to go with this but all I need now is a 7mm Warrior to sit on it. I don't know if ASAM Models do one but theirs will be 1:48 if they do which all my other vehicles are. Only problem is will a 1:48 scale tank sit it's tracks over the cradle, I doubt so personally.

Very nice Brian (and Pete), a neat requirement for warriors in recent times, when used on WWs.

AFAICT ASAM are your only port of call (Im going to have to go for 1:48 scale vehicles for my WWs & WFs too). Im not aware of anyone else who might make kits. Airfix and Tamiya make some nice 1:48 kits, but not warriors in that scale let alone 1:43rd. Oxford do a nice FWD Control Landie in 1:76 but no plans to do one in 1:43 or anything army (except some LW Landies) despite the new WWs from Hattons....evidently.

In military modelling 1:35 scale is preferred. Ive just built a 1:48 Dingo and its tiny. Photo herewith a few more details to be added, aerials, brackets etc...

Im sourcing chain and screwlinks for vehicle loads now.

ATVB

CME

post-11256-0-19645100-1521578501_thumb.jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 3

Just found a picture of ASAM Warrior in 1:48 so might get hold of one. 

post-6766-0-46653800-1521581459.jpg

As you can see they fill the cradle up but will a 1:48 be long enough and I will probably have to cut the tracks back to fit. I see that Airfix Warrior has the mesh grills on so won't be in gauge for rail travel but could not ascertain if it could be built without them.

post-6766-0-22371900-1521581345_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-30528100-1521581372_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Re the Airfix Warriors-I stand corrected chaps-sorry!

Looks like a good starting point kit.

Ive spent hours and hours endeavouring to source 1:48/1:43 soft skin and AFVs and I never came across the 1:48 Airfix Warrior-having said that its out of my era-but searches only revealed some later Defenders and earlier WWII kit (from Airfix in 1:48). Mind you, at one stage it looked like the Tamiya 'Military Miniature Series (1:48)' had had the range reduced, only to find out that it hadnt. Funny how internet searches lull one into a false sense of knowledge and security and typing in slightly different wording into 'SEARCH' can make a world of difference. Accurate Armour do some lovely WWII multi-media models too, shame theyre just to early.

Looks like the Warriors from Airfix, with a bit of fettling, will be a cost effective route for you though, Brian. Cheaper than the WM kits...

ATVB

CME (I will get me coat! Lol!).

Shame the MoD has given up on transporting vehicles by rail.

I agree Brian, lots of it seems to be hauled by heavy haulage (road) contractors-rail and rail-heads would have been a better option I would have thought? But Im guessing after the latest 'review' a couple of old Land Rover Defenders, a couple of rowing-boats and a few microlights dont need much transporting? LMAO!

Did you ever drive any MOD trains out of Didcot to Marchwood etc., Brian? (or arent you allowed to tell us?).

ATB

CME

Good job you did photograph them Brian, photos from 1960s and 1970s seem sparce, security/Cold War I/lack of access, or lack of interest on part of onlookers/photographers leaves a bit of a hole in some aspects of the photographic record.

You were ideally situated which is great historically and for modelling purposes.

ATB

CME

For info for others the two beams running the length of the in the middle are there so that wheeled vehicles can be driven across the cradle and used as a war flat to transport them. 

Hi Pete have sent you an email via your web site no response from it though on status on wagons. The Tank cradle are they available to buy at all cheers 

Garry 

Not many but there are a few 1:43 WWII models here

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/military-vehicles-of-the-second-world-war

Wrong period and only one UK model........but they are dirt cheap at the mo!

My dad bought me the Cruiser tank and it was cheap, nicely detailed and looked the part, a shame it's 25 years too early for my layout, unless I use the ruse - again - that it is heading to DA as a railhead for Royal Military College of Science as a teaching aid in their 'Tank Sheds'......these models are attached to their bases with security clutch head screws, so I shall have to machine a nail to remove it from it's base. I was hoping that JLTRT might have produced some later ARVs and Soft-skins in 1:43rd, alas it wasnt to be!

ATB

CME