Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Good luck with your first kit John. My first kit I did many years ago was a 47 from the same manufacturer and all I did was build it as it came to just get used to soldering and the principles of building diesel kits. After that first one all hell has been let loose I do quite a bit of mods on kits and ready to run but I think it's a good idea to walk before you run, so to speak. There are no real pitfalls to these kits but as they do not have bulkheads you can make them as wide or narrow as you want by using the bogie stretchers. The 56 can be done with a flattish roof or a curved roof depending how wide you make those stretchers! How much has been built already on your 56?

The Class 56 is going back to the person who I purchased it from tomorrow. Although they did not start building it there is a crease in the roof section where it has not been rolled properly and the roof has not been joined correctly to the sides, so the side grilles would then not fit properly. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures to show you as it is all boxed and wrapped for return delivery. Seller has agreed to refund me the money inc postage.

The model had not been progressed far. Just the sides attached to the roof which must have been flat to start with for a small section to end up with a crease.

The Class 56 is going back to the person who I purchased it from tomorrow. Although they did not start building it there is a crease in the roof section where it has not been rolled properly and the roof has not been joined correctly to the sides, so the side grilles would then not fit properly. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures to show you as it is all boxed and wrapped for return delivery. Seller has agreed to refund me the money inc postage.

The model had not been progressed far. Just the sides attached to the roof which must have been flat to start with for a small section to end up with a crease.

Im sorry to hear that. Ive almost given up on S/H Ebay purchases, new is largely okayish, I much prefer to view S/H models in the flesh, so to speak, and make my decision to purchase then, which is not possible with Ebay.

I had a NG model turn up recently, detailed, S/H and it was damaged, the parts werent in the box/packaging, so clearly the photos had been taken on completion of the model (detailing/weathering) and not of the model as it was (listed) for sale! In short a con, either that or seller left packing to someone else-unlikely. But the model was not as advertised/listed. Only leverage via feedback helps in such situations on Ebay. A refund along with P&P outbound and inbound was secured/offered. Still hassle & disappointment though.

For you? Better luck next time, or purchase the kit new, with a MMP mainline loco detailing pack, theyre pretty good models. If using on a smaller layout make do with a single powered bogie to keep cost down.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Sorry Mike, keefer is correct that when BR did some more conversions from un-fitted to fitted it says they only used one cylinder.

The easiest way to tell which 16 tanner have two vac cylinders in the loaded/empty change over lever, if you have photos of the actual prototype.

8 shoe clasp braked MCV's do have a change load/empty leaver but it seems the moreton braked ones do not. Here is a link to Paul Bartlett's moreton MCV's http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmortonmxv which all show a vac cylinder underneath, now you can't tell me he photographed all the single cylinder ones from the same side!

Putting the transfers on my VIX yesterday did not go without a hitch. These are Rail-Tec transfers and they all went on except the arrows which just sat there and curled up. Even a setting solution would make them lay down. So in the end I put a Fox one on.

Just varnishing it at the moment.

post-6766-0-67593200-1522507898_thumb.jpg

Edited by brian daniels

• RMweb Premium

Putting the transfers on my VIX yesterday did not go without a hitch. These are Rail-Tec transfers and they all went on except the arrows which just sat there ant curled up. Even a setting solution would make them lay down. So in the nd I put a Fox one on.

Just varnishing it at the moment.

Ooo that's weird.........

Edited by boxbrownie

8 shoe clasp braked MCV's do have a change load/empty leaver but it seems the moreton braked ones do not. Here is a link to Paul Bartlett's moreton MCV's http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmortonmxv which all show a vac cylinder underneath, now you can't tell me he photographed all the single cylinder ones from the same side!

Point taken Brian, it seems strange that the Moreton don't have a changeover lever, as on the 8 shoe brake gear it is there to reduce the brake force when empty. And it was strange that only 16 tonners had this facility in the lighter standard wagons. 

Finished the VIX at last.

One extra detail I did was to add Archer waterslide welding beads transfer to the roof which I think finishes it off nicely. Is there a definitife answer to the painting of bufferbeams in this era? I have done mine black but should they be bauxite?

post-6766-0-05472500-1522592118_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-42962600-1522592210_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-18221600-1522592242_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-72470800-1522592263_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-62723000-1522592282_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-66969500-1522592380_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Finished the VIX at last.

One extra detail I did was to add Archer waterslide welding beads transfer to the roof which I think finishes it off nicely. Is there a definitife answer to the painting of bufferbeams in this era? I have done mine black but should they be bauxite?

Looks great (even in simple bauxite livery!) - I have not tried them but the welding beads certainly add something to an otherwise large and featureless roof. Some rust patches would probably also be prototypical but I have not summoned up the time or courage to weather my VIX yet.

Finally found some text that says the mineral wagons were double vac cylinder in Wagons Of The Final Years Of British Railways 1962-1968 by Larkin, second paragraph. Interestingly though out of the 5 pictures in the book of these moreton fitted MCV's only one has lamp brackets on. I guess that fully fitted trains of these were not run until the 70's so until then there was still a brake van for the guard to ride in as I guess the manning agreement was not relaxed when these were built to allow the guard in the back cab.

I have one picture showing one end of one for the vac pipe placement. More work. I have ordered some vac cylinders from M&M to change the ones on the model. It's a shame but a £39 wagon is going to end up over £60 by the time I change everything, oh well that's modelling I suppose.

post-6766-0-81297600-1522838828_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-94831900-1522838123_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-37578100-1522838157_thumb.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 2

Nice work Brian, I dont recall those photos....I shall follow your mods with interest.

I may not bother with adding extra VB cylinders to mine, as mine will only ever be seen running from the one side (Im not usually that slipshod), I put the lamp brackets on as I wont be running many bauxite 16 tonners-so did I really need to fit them in a fitted head/unfitted train-as you imply the jury is still out, sort of? But the lamp brackets differentiate and look quite nice...

I note in the photo that the grab handles are mounted inboard too-railway modelling is almost as complicated and fraught as ship modelling?!

On the VB hoses for these wagons, does anyone know if they come out of hole in the drawbar/bufferbeam or as the usual swan neck from underneath?

ATVB

CME

Vac pipes are swan next style. I have enough lost wax sprues from Slater's for these which include their lamp brackets. I have some L shaped brass for the tie-bar as well so nothing stopping me getting on with them now. I noticed that with the handles on the end doors.

Edited by brian daniels

Got the M&M vac cylinders today so cracked on with the underframe. I was glad to find that the Dapol vac cylinder came off easily as it is a separate moulding.

End details added

post-6766-0-14582600-1523036894_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-74137200-1523036914_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-25557200-1523037040_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-05412000-1523036972_thumb.jpg

New L shaped tiebar added and secured with small plastic bolts.

post-6766-0-59790400-1523037016_thumb.jpg

Majority of these moreton braked vehicles have a strengthening bracket on the opposite side V hanger to where Dapol put it so I cut up the old plastic tiebar and used it for a new horizontal stregthener.

post-6766-0-56447400-1523036995_thumb.jpg

New vac gear underneath.

post-6766-0-91138500-1523037075_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-58914100-1523037097_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-37034800-1523037118_thumb.jpg

Had to modify the cross shaft by just using the arms that connect to the vac cylinder and shortening them a bit as well.

post-6766-0-96036300-1523037140_thumb.jpg

Can't make out what Dapol ones supposed to be?

post-6766-0-99853900-1523037157_thumb.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 2

Got the M&M vac cylinders today so cracked on with the underframe. I was glad to find that the Dapol vac cylinder came off easily as it is a separate moulding.

End details added

attachicon.gifIMG_9497.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9499.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9505.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9504.JPG

New L shaped tiebar added and secured with small plastic bolts.

attachicon.gifIMG_9503.JPG

Majority of these moreton braked vehicles have a strengthening bracket on the opposite side V hanger to where Dapol put it so I cut up the old plastic tiebar and used it for a new horizontal stregthener.

attachicon.gifIMG_9502.JPG

New vac gear underneath.

attachicon.gifIMG_9509.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9510.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9511.JPG

Had to modify the cross shaft by just using the arms that connect to the vac cylinder and shortening them a bit as well.

attachicon.gifIMG_9507.JPG

Can't make out what Dapol ones supposed to be?

attachicon.gifIMG_9508.JPG

Nice work Brian, adds weight to the model in terms of its looks.

Can I ask where you purchased the right angled brass strip from and if the bolt heads are from a bolt head set (I tend to use plastic rod filed to shape). Also are the lantern brackets Slaters? They look familar but I cant place/remember them-are they sold as spares?

Am I to understand that the clutch etc is definately on one side only?

And.....can I purchase your pair of redundant Dapol Vac Cyls? LOL!

ATVB

CME

I think I still have those Dapol vac cylinders in my rubbish bin so if you pm me your address I will get them off to you.

PM on its way Brian, I mentioned such tongue-in-cheek, but they will be most welcome, I shall of course sort P&P and costs with you....  

Been doing a bit of weathering today on a friends 33 and my 56. Also done a bit on my VIX. I am painting another Heljan class 25/3 in blue as well.

Wonderful, they look superb Brian, fond memories of BFYEs, love them in 7mm.

Kind regards,

CME

• RMweb Premium

I photographed it on a vac braked JLTRT warwell as my airbraked ones all have vehicles fitted and chained down on them. So I guess I will have to get a Hattons one now to go with this

Have you seen under smaller suppliers (I can’t add links on a phone) that MM1 are going to be doing small batches of the former JLTRT kits, although unlikely to be the entire range.

Edited by Hal Nail