Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• RMweb Premium

My dad bought me the Cruiser tank and it was cheap, nicely detailed and looked the part, a shame it's 25 years too early for my layout, unless I use the ruse - again - that it is heading to DA as a railhead for Royal Military College of Science as a teaching aid in their 'Tank Sheds'......these models are attached to their bases with security clutch head screws, so I shall have to machine a nail to remove it from it's base. I was hoping that JLTRT might have produced some later ARVs and Soft-skins in 1:43rd, alas it wasnt to be!

ATB

CME

They are very nicely made models, much more detailed and delicate than I thought they would be.......

Just found a picture of ASAM Warrior in 1:48 so might get hold of one. 

attachicon.gifSM01 WARRIOR REARDON GREEN.jpg

As you can see they fill the cradle up but will a 1:48 be long enough and I will probably have to cut the tracks back to fit. I see that Airfix Warrior has the mesh grills on so won't be in gauge for rail travel but could not ascertain if it could be built without them.

attachicon.gifFlat KWA MODA 95520 Didcot 02.JPG

attachicon.gifFlat KWA MODA 95509 Didcot 02.JPG

OK, maybe its just me, but what's the point of this cradle?  Looks to me that it makes the tank sit at the same height as if the tank was just chained down to a normal flat.

Well I have ordered one of the Airfix Warriors from Antics, website did not say it was out of stock so hopefully should get it. Do I go for the etched metal upgrade kit? Probably not to be honest as it's only a load on a wagon and I am sure it will be good enough as it comes. I have also ordered a Hobby Holidays Warwell kit. It was a toss up between this and the Hattons one but as I would have to add the airbrake equipment and probably change the buffers as well as add the side extensions and plates over the buffers I thought I might as well build the etched one. At least then it will match my other 3 of these kits I have built. And I will be able to solder some brass pieces on for the side extensions unlike if I used the plastic Hattons one where I would have to glue them on which would make them a bit vulnerable for me as I have to pack and un-pack everything when I run them.

Edited by brian daniels

Brian if 1/48 scale is a goer these people [Accurate Armour https://accurate-armour.com/ ] have a few models amongst their mainly 1/35 range. Look in the AA menu for the 1/48 models.

The whole site is an interesting one to peruse.

Best

Hi Barnaby

Are AA now doing later 1:43 scale models? Last time I looked AA were-very nice though they are-just doing WWII models..

Well I have ordered one of the Airfix Warriors from Antics, website did not say it was out of stock so hopefully should get it. Do I go for the etched metal upgrade kit? Probably not to be honest as it's only a load on a wagon and I am sure it will be good enough as it comes. I have also ordered a Hobby Holidays Warwell kit. It was a toss up between this and the Hattons one but as I would have to add the airbrake equipment and probably change the buffers as well as add the side extensions and plates over the buffers I thought I might as well build the etched one. At least then it will match my other 3 of these kits I have built. And I will be able to solder some brass pieces on for the side extensions unlike if I used the plastic Hattons one where I would have to glue them on which would make them a bit vulnerable for me as I have to pack and un-pack everything when I run them.

Hi Brian,

I think youve taken the correct route. The Hattons WWs are a mix of plastic attached to die-cast a risky fiddle to do well/strongly, much easier to solder brass to.....err brass in terms of the vulnerable extensions etc. Although they list '1990s' Olive version with appropriate buffers etc, I have the feeling that like all the earlier versions theyre VB and not AB equipped. All do-able but fiddly and possibly not all that robust in the end.

Antics order system can be a bit strange in that one orders what looks to be in stock and the system doesnt always show accurate stock at point-of-sale, but Antics are good at letting you know ASAP.

ATVB,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Brian...Sorry to hijack your thread. I noticed on your Flikr page that you have modelled the RJH Class 56.

I have just recently purchased a PMRP Class 56 from Ebay which was a part built kit.

As this is my first ever kit, do you have any advice, hits, tips to offer that could help me when I come to build it please?

I was the one stood with Lord Flashheart when the two of you were chatting at Warley last year. I had been to the Modelu stand and just purchased the 'mini Brian Daniels' in O Gauge although unlike Rob your legs are still in tact on my 'mini BD' as I have yet to decorate him!

Good luck with your first kit John. My first kit I did many years ago was a 47 from the same manufacturer and all I did was build it as it came to just get used to soldering and the principles of building diesel kits. After that first one all hell has been let loose I do quite a bit of mods on kits and ready to run but I think it's a good idea to walk before you run, so to speak. There are no real pitfalls to these kits but as they do not have bulkheads you can make them as wide or narrow as you want by using the bogie stretchers. The 56 can be done with a flattish roof or a curved roof depending how wide you make those stretchers! How much has been built already on your 56?

At the Ally Pally show I bought 3 Dapol fitted mineral wagons but they need some details adding I'm afraid. I see they have no lamp brackets on the ends and the vac pipe on one end is in the wrong place. The vac cylinder has a funny arm coming out connecting to the cross brake shaft. One thing that keeps bugging me is these have two cylinder, I keep looking on Paul Bartlett's site and everyone I look at I can see a vac cylinder on it whichever side you look at but there is only one on the model, and it's on the wrong side, it's pulling the brakes off! So who does a decent vac cylinder and operating arms? Think you can still get ABS ones. Oh and the tiebar should be L shaped.

post-6766-0-70487500-1522343767_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-83322500-1522343823_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-68374400-1522343882_thumb.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 2

Hi Brian,

I think ABS still does similar-Adrian Swain, is, I think, semi retired now, so keep trying him.

Unusually for me, Ive left mine alone, I added lantern brackets (CPL folded etches) these are fitted slightly differently on various prototypes, so I took the middle ground - and I then weathered them.

The twin VB cyls I couldnt get to the bottom of, especially in terms of photo evidence. I heard two-three different versions of what should be on the underside, but Im inclined to think that Adrian at ABS is correct. The drop down VB hoses, Ive replaced those on the Dapol 12T vans-they have incorrect tie-bars too, but as time is at a premium, Ive left them as is-but Im unsure re the VB 16Ts hoses. The 16Ts lack inside detail around the doors-so I weathered around the area so as to fudge the issue. As time permits, I will carry on building my PSD kits et al, the LH/Dapol versions give me somethimg to run for now though...

Both the 12T vans and VB minerals have strange braking gear-not visible though on the layout?

ATVB

CME.

I have an 8 shoe MCV to build from MMP but thought this would be a quick little block of wagons but we are back to getting hold of bits to up-grade/make right. I have some Slaters vac pipes and lamp brackets so think these will do.

Nice pics thanks, something to ponder over.

I should be putting the transfers on my VIX tomorrow at last.

Edited by brian daniels

I have an 8 shoe MCV to build from MMP but thought this would be a quick little block of wagons but we are back to getting hold of bits to up-grade/make right. I have some Slaters vac pipes and lamp brackets so think these will do.

Nice pics thanks, something to ponder over.

I should be putting the transfers on my VIX tomorrow at last.

I know Brian, I have kits to build too, as someone short on time and a slow modeller, I thought some RTR would help-I was wrong. As RTR needs making good and sourcing parts is becoming a bigger challenge than it used to be-and often takes longer than modifying the RTR models. I just wanted to do 'easy' for a change too...

I was looking at Vac pipes yesterday and thinking 'I should change those too......its never ending'......

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Apologies for hijack again and for photo quality.

Work in progress on one of the 12T vans, vac pipes, brackets, lantern brackets and chalking plates. Ive modified the three links (added instanters) although theyre fiddly and I can never seem to close the gaps up on Dapol versions, but its okay on a 'layout model'.

ATVB

CME

post-11256-0-90965200-1522352727_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Might be worth dropping M&M an e mail re ABS parts as they have been clearing the wagons at shows. For that matter I’ve bought some of their own castings off them before and they may do a brake cylinder. If you can’t find a decent match, just put two replacements on and recycle the original Dapol one for something else!

Edited by Hal Nail

I just read in An Illustrated History of BR Wagons vol 1 that in the 1970's unfitted wagons were fitted with a simpler vac brake with only one vac cylinder. So two or one? I am getting confused, which I find is quite easy these days. As it's a bank holiday weekend I can't order anything until Tuesday anyway so a bit of time to think it over.

Is it me of is anyone else concerned about the running down/loss of certain castings suppliers?

Yes ever since I started in 7mm I've found that simple things that are easily available in 4mm are hard to find.

As Brian has said vacuum cylinders being one, though m&m do make a good one. The other thing I've always thought is badly needed is a good 'short' oleo wagon buffer. Slaters produce a good one but is the long version only fitted to a minority of vehicles, JLTRT made a good one, though it was almost impossible to be sprung- at least by me!- but sadly that is gone now too. Don't know what is happening with Adrian and ABS but I really hope we don't lose his range too as his castings I always found to be excellent.

Yes ever since I started in 7mm I've found that simple things that are easily available in 4mm are hard to find.

As Brian has said vacuum cylinders being one, though m&m do make a good one. The other thing I've always thought is badly needed is a good 'short' oleo wagon buffer. Slaters produce a good one but is the long version only fitted to a minority of vehicles, JLTRT made a good one, though it was almost impossible to be sprung- at least by me!- but sadly that is gone now too. Don't know what is happening with Adrian and ABS but I really hope we don't lose his range too as his castings I always found to be excellent.

I agree, I understand that 4mm is going the same way now? Ive never been able to make JLTRT wagon buffers to be sprung, but the castings were good and some of my vehicles dont need to buffer up anyway. Maybe as in 1956, perhaps the GOG will have to soon step in?

I just read in An Illustrated History of BR Wagons vol 1 that in the 1970's unfitted wagons were fitted with a simpler vac brake with only one vac cylinder. So two or one? I am getting confused, which I find is quite easy these days. As it's a bank holiday weekend I can't order anything until Tuesday anyway so a bit of time to think it over.

Now I'm confused.  I thought the definition of "unfitted wagon" was that it didn't have vacuum brakes.  So wouldn't an unfitted wagon have 0 cylinders?