Mozzer's new work bench 4mm That Welsh Brake Van building A AA/24

I think had this been mine, I would have sent it back! Does the kit designer still exist? I must made a mental note to steer clear or is it a first go from long ago and things and the persons kits are usually okay nowadays?

It's a current kit. This is the Website... http://www.ukmodernimage.com/index.html

Steve did join RMweb himself & commented when I was building his Class 22 kit, which was done as a thread on RMweb3. He doesn't seem to be a current member.

The 22 was a trial enough (especially as my first go at a brass kit!) - I think I'd have given up entirely if I'd had this kit. Brian you have worked wonders with it; if your customer is unhappy with the finished loco then show him this thread- it could've looked a hell of a lot worse!!! He should be very grateful to you!!

It's a current kit. This is the Website... http://www.ukmoderni....com/index.html

Steve did join RMweb himself & commented when I was building his Class 22 kit, which was done as a thread on RMweb3. He doesn't seem to be a current member.

The 22 was a trial enough (especially as my first go at a brass kit!) - I think I'd have given up entirely if I'd had this kit. Brian you have worked wonders with it; if your customer is unhappy with the finished loco then show him this thread- it could've looked a hell of a lot worse!!! He should be very grateful to you!!

He is a member here F-unit

once or twice i have been Very close to giving up on this model

today i have been fitting the glazing all i have left glazing wise is to do is one cab & then the headcode boxes

He is a member here F-unit

once or twice i have been Very close to giving up on this model

Once the headcode glazing is in, I think the model will look complete. A very nice job with what was available. Glad its worked out so well for you.

Cheers.

Sean.

today i have been fitting the glazing all i have left glazing wise is to do is one cab & then the headcode boxes

Hi Brian. I take my hat off to you. I just cannot bring myself to tackle building diesels. I looked at a number of diesel kits and thought, no thanks.

Interesting comment about the Railmatch satin turning glossy. It's just happened to me on the last new can from my stock. Had to respray it with my new batch of Precision Paints.

The Baby Deltic looks very a very nice job. (So does that Brit & Duchess on the thread)

Hi Brian. I take my hat off to you. I just cannot bring myself to tackle building diesels. I looked at a number of diesel kits and thought, no thanks.

Interesting comment about the Railmatch satin turning glossy. It's just happened to me on the last new can from my stock. Had to respray it with my new batch of Precision Paints.

The Baby Deltic looks very a very nice job. (So does that Brit & Duchess on the thread)

the varish i uesd was Humbrol satin & not Railmatch

the varish i uesd was Humbrol satin & not Railmatch

Oh well, can't explain that one. Maybe it's the weather conditions at the time of spraying? I always have more problems in the summer months than the colder, dryer air of the winter. Many a time the paint has bloomed in the summer.

Well today i have finished the Baby Deltic the smoke unit,lighting & DCC chip are all wired in & all so working i have not tested the smoke units heater as i do not have any smokeoil to hand but heres a video & some photos

post-6686-127712679864_thumb.jpg

post-6686-127712682052_thumb.jpg

post-6686-127712684192_thumb.jpg

what do you all think??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Frankly amazed you've managed to get that sort of result out of the attrocious parts you started with! If it had been mine I suspect it would have gone back in the box and marked down to experience. Top marks for staying power.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Well what you have done with a truly awful set of parts is very acceptable! I have the filler paint now and was wondering how many cans you used on this one?

I am quite amazed that you have got this wonderful result and it has put me off considering building for others for life!

Thank you for a very informative thread,showing all the ways of overcoming poor design.

I look forward to the next project.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to answer my queries whilst battling with this.

Best wishes and I hope you get an extra bottle of malt with the cheque! (big hint - or chocolates, beer, wine, etc, etc you have earnt it!)

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

well today i have built up one side if the valve gear

I am going to have to reolace the lower link from the valve slide as it is to short & is locking up the valve gear but that will be done after i have something to eat

in the pic the round thing it a 1p peace

post-6686-12774708124.jpg

Nice work Mozzer - and really quick! I built one when Fred Blackman first released it (must have been in the late '70's) My overwhelming memory was carefully ensuring that all the valve-gear rivets were only soldered to the mechs they were supposed to (the thing flopped about like jelly until I fitted it to the wheels) - only to find that (IIRC) half the valve-gear doesn't move anyway!

Now that I'm back modelling 'Gods Wonderful' I'll have a go at the other one I've got (which is also in it's original 'Mallard Models' box)!

I'll be watching with interest!

Regs

Scanman

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have got the underfram finished to day apart from the 4 white metal arms that go around the steam motor also i need to build the water tank from some brass as the kit says to build this from plasticard so i will replace that

Tomorrow i hope to finish these jobs then start fitting the detail parts to the body

well here is a pic

post-6686-127913022403_thumb.jpg

Well Today i have go the bodywork finished apart from fitting the Buffers & the Bars that go from the solebars to under the steam bogie this i will do tomorrow than once the body has ben washed & dry i will give it a coat of white primmer

Also today i have made a start on the roof which i have made attatch by pin & hole at the drive end then the chimney screws down throw the roof to hold the other end of the roof i have built up all of the brass parts of the roof just leaving me to drill holes for the lamp tops & vent tomorrow then fitting said items

the info with the kit say to use the micro strip for the rain strips but i have re-placed these with .45 brass rod

here are the pics

post-6686-127947581547_thumb.jpg