This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 1 - 'The Restless Earth'

5 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Anyone unhappy with gimmicks should perhaps not watch Episode 2 this week; According to TV Choice it includes, among other things, alien motherships !

Series 1 had a couple of sci-fi themed layouts, including the eventual winner. Which, actually, was a really good bit of railway modelling. If you're going to model a fictional prototype, then why limit yourself?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

I know it's 'early days' with S1 and S2E1 now out in the public eye, but have any show organisers noticed if it has affected their attendance?

Certainly there were reports of better than average attendances at shows last autumn, while the series was on air. Whether that continued into the spring and summer I cant say.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, brack said:

They could just be there to collect one or two of the contestants?

I would imagine they feature on the layout that, according to the listings blurb, is based on War of the Worlds. A book which, incidentally, mentions railways fairly early on:

From the railway station came the sound of shunting trains, ringing and rumbling, softened almost into melody by the distance. 

In fact, this idea seems to have been done before:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Certainly there were reports of better than average attendances at shows last autumn, while the series was on air. Whether that continued into the spring and summer I cant say.

Time will tell!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I know it's 'early days' with S1 and S2E1 now out in the public eye, but have any show organisers noticed if it has affected their attendance?

I believe Warley was busy last November, and we attended the Bognor show in January which was also busy. We were at the Tonbridge show in February which was heaving. Our own exhibition in March saw a big increase in attendance. A family came over from Kent just to see us in Haywards Heath in May. We also had some model shop owners come up to say 'thank you' for improving their business.

A Basingstoke Bodger.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Going to Ayr on Saturday. Will be interesting to see if its increased numbers or changed the demographic , although obviously difficult to tell from a 2 hr visit .    Just hope people aren't disappointed not  seeing lots of volcanoes , although I suppose Dumbarton Rock (not far away) is a volcanic plug, so maybe not that un-prototypical  if modelled over a longer timeframe !

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

IIRC, last year the series came out just after our Show. This year our show (Broadland MRC Show, Jubilee Centre, Aylsham NR11 6JG, 5th Oct 2019 10:00-16:00 parking at the Bure Valley Railway, disabled parking at the hall) is right in the middle of the series, So we are hoping for a good attendance..

• Like 1

On 17/09/2019 at 17:16, D9001 said:

But to me this programme isn’t about model railways at all, it’s about gimmicky, and frankly ridiculous, animations such as volcanoes made from old clothing. The actual model railways seem secondary to the silly animations and, as with series 1, i have watched one programme but won’t be watching any more.

In which case you might be giving up too soon. I like to think that the animations we provided in a later heat were an integral part of a layout with a story

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LocoLadies CF said:

We are in Heat 3 and we were serious modellers and our animations were an integral part of our layout BUT we also had cake! It was very good. 

Very nice looking cake!

The latest Radio Times also says that your layout featured some crocheted trees. This has heightened my wife's interest (she's a keen crocheter and liked the series even before this latest news!).

• Like 1

I can guarantee you will see more proper modelling that will continue to impress you as the series progresses.  As we were in heat 5, we got to have a sneak peak at some of the winning layouts from other episodes that were being stored at Fawley and there's some real stunners. Everybody has really upped their game this year!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Very nice looking cake!

The latest Radio Times also says that your layout featured some crocheted trees. This has heightened my wife's interest (she's a keen crocheter and liked the series even before this latest news!).

Yes we did make a crocheted forest ..... it was an ‘artistic interpretation’ and everyone except Kathy really seemed to like them. They were certainly colourful. And a bit different! 

5A11296E-3C2B-461D-A34B-F8E7E1990091.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for showing us the photo. We both very much enjoyed looking at your trees! My wife says she'd already seen a crochet pattern for a Christmas tree (scale size, I hope!) somewhere.

Superb mine rescue scene (if that's what it is), by the way.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Very nice looking cake!

11 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thank you very much for showing us the photo. We both very much enjoyed looking at your trees! My wife says she'd already seen a crochet pattern for a Christmas tree (scale size, I hope!) somewhere.

Superb mine rescue scene (if that's what it is), by the way.

Thank you. I had to make this pattern up but it seems to have worked. When you watch the show next Friday (27th) the rescue is explained in that. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, LocoLadies CF said:

We are in Heat 3 and we were serious modellers and our animations were an integral part of our layout BUT we also had cake!

I wonder how long it will be before we hear about an additional real time "animation" ... otherwise known as certain people doing a "thorough quality control test" on said cake.

Of course, I haven't got a clue about these judges' tastes in "health foods" (as in the sort that make certain people feel good) ... .

Huw. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

16 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The latest Radio Times also says that your layout featured some crocheted trees. 

4 hours ago, LocoLadies CF said:

Yes we did make a crocheted forest ..... it was an ‘artistic interpretation’ and everyone except Kathy really seemed to like them. They were certainly colourful. And a bit different! 

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Probably would be to scale - if your usual choice of scale is HO HO HO!

(Note to self: It might help if "jokes" don't sound like they've been Stollen from a Xmas cracker.

Further note to self: I really must remember to get a few packs of those "Stollen bites", when they appear in my local Lidl.)

Seriously though, they look great.

As for the use of wool to represent trees, hedges etc, I could almost imagine the judges throwing some hanks of wool into a scratch build challenge - quickly followed by some people trying to remember some dodge out of an old Ladybird book.

Probably something along the lines of getting an empty cotton reel - sticking some matchsticks into one end - plaiting the wool over these pegs and pulling the new "rope" through the hole in the middle of the reel.

The final steps would then be to fold / wrap this rope into place and apply some PVA.

(I seem to recall that there was actually such a rope making exercise in one of these books, but my memory might be playing tricks. After all, l saw this one in the "book corner" of my classroom, when I was in junior school ... about 45 years ago.)

OK - I doubt if wool is about to feature in a GMRC scratch build challenge  - but there have been some pretty "left field" selections ... .

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Further note to self: I really must remember to get a few packs of those "Stollen bites", when they appear in my local Lidl.)

Stollen bites are now available in Lidl.  Also mince pies and other not yet seasonal fare that I love but aren't allowed any more.  Winter Solstice-related comestibles should only be sold in special stores so diabetics, dieters etc., are not tortured on a daily basis.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The viewing figures for episode 1 have been published: 1,058,700 viewers across all formats, according to BARB.

That's a respectable total, and in the right ballpark for C5 - it's their 11th most popular programme of the week, a bit behind "The Yorkshire Vet" but ahead of "World's Greatest Warships".

It doesn't feature in the overall top 20. But then, no C5 programme does. As you might expect, Bake Off was the week's biggest ratings winner, with 8,717,000 viewers across all formats. So you could say that model railways are, as far as TV viewing goes, just under an 8th as popular as cakes!

To give it some possibly more useful context, QI had 1,237,500 viewers on BBC2 the same evening. 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5