'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

16 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

In any event the thread has pointed out a number are pretty close to actual coaches. On overall shape its possibly only the GNR ones that are stretching a similarity a bit far given roof shape used by the GNR.

In Irish terms, they're closest to those of the Great Southern & Western Railway, which by a happy coincidence was Ireland's biggest railway company. Their 1880s six-wheelers still had some examples in daily traffic until the early 1960s, thus suiting the earlier diesel era too.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I caved and pre-ordered all the green ones. The B&T one is too late for me. If I can't easily regauge them to 21mm I will sell most of them on and I suspect without too much difficulty if the run is small and the demand high (the interest in Irish stuff seems to be growing so I reckon high demand is a given).

• Like 4

Whilst I think generic main-line diesel locos are unlikely (not least due to the relatively small number of classes and the fact most of them are covered already), there may be a market for industrial or narrow-gauge locos (either steam or diesel) - indeed there are already a good number of generic locos available as 3d prints to the 009 community. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

While waiting for me "main fleet" genesis coaches to come, I decided to buy a couple of lighted LBSCR 6 wheelers. This compliments 4 wheelers I had previously.

They are "above" the Hornby versions IMHO but can run both types together.

I am also pleased at the minimum packing that Hattons use. It is good to see smaller boxes. Smaller boxes = less space = more trains!

Hornby Top, Hattons Below:

LBSCR3.jpg.c14a906f19a9c108d04f494ea28097a4.jpg

LBSCR1.jpg.33a395ee22389881bd8194859ce32af7.jpgLBSCR2.jpg.04360c97a40f62917af471d2cbdfdbaf.jpgLBSCR4.jpg.975255427ce8733bfc6c36fe9a254daf.jpgLBSCR5.jpg.d37809ea80f71f411d18b67b32445f75.jpg

• Like 10

I just received four SR 'Genesis' ciaches from Hattons. They do look very nice, and are just the thing for, say, a Terrier or a P Class. But I do have one major gripe: I was under the impression that these coaches were to be fitted with kinematic close coupling. I believe that I was informed thus by Hattons themselves, shortly after the coaches were announced. But - long story short - they're not. They have NEM pockets mounted on a simple screw pivot. They also don't have sprung buffers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I just received four SR 'Genesis' ciaches from Hattons. They do look very nice, and are just the thing for, say, a Terrier or a P Class. But I do have one major gripe: I was under the impression that these coaches were to be fitted with kinematic close coupling. I believe that I was informed thus by Hattons themselves, shortly after the coaches were announced. But - long story short - they're not. They have NEM pockets mounted on a simple screw pivot. They also don't have sprung buffers.

Did you not read any of the reviews on here or watch any them on YouTube (of both samples and production models)? 🤔

It was pretty clear that they had tension-lock couplings, and non-sprung buffers. I knew exactly what I was going to get when I pre-ordered mine...

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Hattons made it VERY clear from the very beginning these would not feature kinematic couplings - merely a pivoting mount.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

You do not need bogies for kinematic close coupling. Virtually every European wagon or coach, four or six wheel or both, has it and has had it going back 30 years or so. Note however that it won't work correctly with either tension-locks or Kadees, as it relies on the couplings rigidly locking together.

It is less important, however, on coaches such as these where there are no gangways.

And it was NOT made clear from the very beginning that this feature would not be present—or that it would be, for that matter. All that was mentioned about couplings was "Optional semi-permanent coupling bar representing a coupling chain".

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Additional information from the original post
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

You do not need bogies for kinematic close coupling. Virtually every European wagon or coach, four or six wheel or both, has it and has had it going back 30 years or so. Note however that it won't work correctly with either tension-locks or Kadees, as it relies on the couplings rigidly locking together.

It is less important, however, on coaches such as these where there are no gangways.

And it was NOT made clear from the very beginning that this feature would not be present—or that it would be, for that matter. All that was mentioned about couplings was "Optional semi-permanent coupling bar representing a coupling chain".

Apologies for suggesting they did need bogies! 

However, I would have thought that if this feature was planned, it would have been made clear. Which, since it wasn't, would suggest it was never planned. Just like sprung buffers. 

9 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Incidentally I noticed that Garden Railway Supplies had several boxed LNWR Genesis coaches in their secondhand 00 section at Warley this morning... 

Didn't think Hattons had been released yet! 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Incidentally I noticed that Garden Railway Supplies had several boxed LNWR Genesis coaches in their secondhand 00 section at Warley this morning... 

On their web site they are listed as Hornby.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Legend said:

I have lost track, and attempted a quick scan on here to no avail, does anyone know when the LMS Crimson ones are due? I have them on order. Just checking they are not already out 

Just had a note through that some (LNWR in my case) have arrived ahead of schedule. Probably going to be a few days until they arrive given how many orders they have to deal with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Madreddog said:

Just had a note through that some (LNWR in my case) have arrived ahead of schedule. Probably going to be a few days until they arrive given how many orders they have to deal with.

What a coincidence!  Just got email from Hattons to say delivery ahead of schedule and that my order of LMS Genesis coaches is being prepared for shipment. This seems to be coming through an Amazon shipment rather than Royal Mail to avoid strike delays.

Thanks to those who replied to my query above (the early shipment is LMS, LNWR and SECR)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've just had two emails to advise me that my order for the 4 pack of SECR coaches has been processed but they're unable to tell me when they will receive two other SECR coaches that are on a separate order.  Not complaining though,  just glad to be getting something.  😀

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Logged on to Hattons.  Nothing in my Trunk!  No pre-orders!!

Logged on to my emails to find they have shipped the four LNWR coaches I ordered.  They say it is a 'one day' delivery.  Does that mean it will arrive tomorrow, or just sometime in the future?

Either way, I have something to give to my wife so she can it it back as a Christmas present.  🙂

• Like 5