Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

As the data panels were added prior to TOPS numbering but after the introduction of corporate blue, they included the background in blue - seamless when applied to a recently painted blue loco but when applied to green locos they would look a little unusual!

Its correct for period!

Steve

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, McC said:

D6702

Thanks. Interesting that one of the comments beneath the photo  says ‘The loco is almost in original condition, just the half yellow panel added. Must be around 1969 though as it has an oval 41A shed sticker and a data panel.’.

Think I’ll have to remove these features to get a genuinely ‘mid 1960’s’ loco. 

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thanks. Interesting that one of the comments beneath the photo  says ‘The loco is almost in original condition, just the half yellow panel added. Must be around 1969 though as it has an oval 41A shed sticker and a data panel.’.

Think I’ll have to remove these features to get a genuinely ‘mid 1960’s’ loco. 

I think earlier than 1969 .By then they would be FYE ?  I’d go for 1966/67…. 

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I think earlier than 1969 .By then they would be FYE ?  I’d go for 1966/67…. 

Can't claim  expertise as my layout is predominately steam (though with the quality of the latest rtr diesel releases it is rapidly getting dieselised!) but the loco behind has a FYE  -when did they start appearing?

I'm happy enough to remove the out of date for my purposes features - there' was a video at some point showing Deltic number removal so hopefully this will be as easy. 

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Can't claim  expertise as my layout is predominately steam (though with the quality of the latest rtr diesel releases it is rapidly getting dieselised!) but the loco behind has a FYE  -when did they start appearing?

I'm happy enough to remove the out of date for my purposes features - there' was a video at some point showing Deltic number removal so hopefully this will be as easy. 

The photo above is around '66/67, and the loco would have had the blue plates from the mid 60's per the spec. Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, McC said:

The photo above is around '66/67, and the loco would have had the blue plates from the mid 60's per the spec. Hope that helps!

TOPS data panels didn't start appearing on locos until after the end of steam in the Autumn 1968. The subject already has a thread on here at the following link.  

Paul J.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Data panels were introduced in 1968 as part of the new, national, Freight Train Loads system.  The data panels had   nothing whatsoever to do with TOPS - it didn't appear at all until  5 years later and - as it happens - hadn't even been considered for BR when these panels were first applied to locos.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Fran or Stephen might have a Delorian with flux capacitor installed............

the models have a stay alive capacitor so its all possible......its funny how you check your spelling when you use Flux in a sentence..........

4 hours ago, JohnR said:

A reference photo? I wouldnt be surprised if AS havnt got an affidavit from the guy who put them on there. 

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
illiterate
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, McC said:

Hi Mike,

English Electric Type 3 (Class 37) - D6702

No nose corner grab irons

HTH

7BB6A558-24B9-41BA-BF74-DDB68CAE2911.jpeg.d247c25b7586c9f13c0ea742cc6aac81.jpeg

What is the above detail referring to please, if it’s not the handrail on the corner ?

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The guy at the depot, looking at that blue panel while leaning on a barrier, brew in one hand, fag in the other. Thinks why have we put a blue panel on a green loco? Why the hell don’t we just paint the loco blue to match it? Lightbulb moments create legends. That guy is a hero. Arise Sir. 

I’m true blue 😀

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

The guy at the depot, looking at that blue panel while leaning on a barrier, brew in one hand, fag in the other. Thinks why have we put a blue panel on a green loco? Why the hell don’t we just paint the loco blue to match it? Lightbulb moments create legends. That guy is a hero. Arise Sir. 

I’m true blue 😀

And all his colleagues were green with envy?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

I'm very appreciative of the current AS 37 range, however part of me is still hoping for a last minute announcement of an early 2000's EWS 37/4 - plenty to pick from! 😆 

Seriously looking forward to these!

Edited by Chris56057
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

58 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

I'm very appreciative of the current AS 37 range, however part of me is still hoping for a last minute announcement of an early 2000's EWS 37/4 - plenty to pick from! 😆 

Seriously looking forward to these!

If I had to hedge my bets...

AC to announce another batch at GETS next month including EWS, Colas, a further europhenix and a variation of Railfreight livery? (red stripe or sector livery etc)

Id hope for a DB St Blazey too 😃

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Sorry if it's been covered previously and I've been out of the game for a while. Got 2 x 37043 on order but would like to renumber and rename one of them.  Any recommendations on transfer suppliers these days?  Obviously as correct to scale as possible is important.  

Thanks in advance 

Class-370-V1-37043-BR-Large-Logo.jpg.f96f94716196f4f8fd44632b097cbaa9.jpg

1 hour ago, barker196 said:

Sorry if it's been covered previously and I've been out of the game for a while. Got 2 x 37043 on order but would like to renumber and rename one of them.  Any recommendations on transfer suppliers these days?  Obviously as correct to scale as possible is important.  

Thanks in advance 

Ive used Fox and Railtech 

On 14/09/2022 at 17:29, The Stationmaster said:

Data panels were introduced in 1968 as part of the new, national, Freight Train Loads system.  The data panels had   nothing whatsoever to do with TOPS - it didn't appear at all until  5 years later and - as it happens - hadn't even been considered for BR when these panels were first applied to locos.  

Interesting info, @The Stationmaster - however I’m guessing this was somewhat earlier in 1968 than the end of steam (early/mid August), soon after which Ds began to be removed one way or another from diesel locos. I would assume that otherwise, the many locos receiving full yellow panels or/and data panels and not the Ds removed would have had the Ds dealt with as well (presumably some data panels and or FYE on original paintwork were done before the August). This loco and many others show that possibly wasn’t the case (D838 is another). 

I’m still waiting with baited breath for either Accurascale or Bachmann to announce some mid 60s green and blue WR based (from new) class 37s - as I said before there were 190 of these (for a very brief time as D6983 was scrapped following the Bridgend collision and many were spirited away to the NER and ScR in 1966). I’m presuming they had, as well as centre headcode boxes, WR accoutrements such as lamp brackets (any others?) 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, barker196 said:

Thanks in advance 

Railtec decals are excellent and I have used many of them.

john

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/09/2022 at 16:46, MidlandRed said:

Interesting info, @The Stationmaster - however I’m guessing this was somewhat earlier in 1968 than the end of steam (early/mid August), soon after which Ds began to be removed one way or another from diesel locos. I would assume that otherwise, the many locos receiving full yellow panels or/and data panels and not the Ds removed would have had the Ds dealt with as well (presumably some data panels and or FYE on original paintwork were done before the August). This loco and many others show that possibly wasn’t the case (D838 is another). 

I’m still waiting with baited breath for either Accurascale or Bachmann to announce some mid 60s green and blue WR based (from new) class 37s - as I said before there were 190 of these (for a very brief time as D6983 was scrapped following the Bridgend collision and many were spirited away to the NER and ScR in 1966). I’m presuming they had, as well as centre headcode boxes, WR accoutrements such as lamp brackets (any others?) 

Difficult to recall the exact date the new FTL system came in but I think it was around September - I went on the training course for it in (again relying on very ancient memory) around August time.  Putting data panels on and removing the D prefix were not necessarily simultaneous events of course.  The distribution - to depots - of data panels probably started in the summer of '68 but by the time the new system was introduced there were still plenty of locos, and tens of thousands of wagons, without panels.    The new loads system definitely post dated steam traction as no data was provided for steam engines.

The data panels were effectively the first public appearance of the national classification code system for diesel and electric loco classes although it had been devised, and had replaced the various Regional systems some time earlier (and was reported in 'Modern Railways' with a full list of diesel classes).  I could date it by delving through old copies ;f MR but it certainly was not in use as early as 1966 because it was not used in the diesel loco dagram book issued in that year nor was it used in any early amendments to the book.

As far as WR EE Type 3s were concerned I think - without checking - that they originally appeared with both types of bogie as some of those used for 100 mph running had bogie changes.   The main differences otherwise were - as you said - the lamp irons (they were all delivered with high mounted Western pattern lamp irons , no dual lamp irons), and they had a standard Western RA  disc below each running number. Plus they (the early deliveries but not the later ones) had the new pattern WR train headboard fitting as used on the D10XX and some of the Hymeks.  One thing I'm not at all sure about is whether they had WR pattern marker lights or if both were originally red (I suspect the latter was the case).  Looking at my photo, below, and  various other photos there appears to have been a slight variation in the shape of the top corners of the yellow panel.  incidentally the headboard brackets were used to carry the assembly on which the Central wales Line spotlights were later mounted so that would restrict which running numbers could appear with that light.

784396314_D6898copy2.jpg.9a570d9eb909a6d9e92095fd0f68bd14.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
Correct reference to headboard brackets, not headlamp brackets
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

And here is 37608 Andromeda, complete with Rail Operations Group headboard, on 21st September 2022 with Mk5a set TP04 passing through Deighton working as 5Q35, York to Walton Old Junction MSC Sidings.

1947659624_37608TP045Q35Deighton210920221-RMweb.jpg.fa98a852ccdd1f078618174fcee78615.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2022 at 15:05, McC said:

Allocated to Tinsley 41A w/e 11/11/67, and repainted blue Aug 69, and boiler removed Feb 69, according to the usual online sources.

• Like 1