Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Unfortunately John, that doesn't always seem to be the case....

37043 being a prime example. A bizarre choice that the other manufacturer made when there’s been so many other LL split box 37s to choose from. I’m quite happy to wait a couple of months and save some wedge, too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

11 hours ago, Andy7 said:

With respect, if you just like to run model trains (as do I), the details don’t sound to be of that much importance to you as they are to me.

Not meant as a slight on you but horses for courses and all that. If you renumbered 402 to 418 most wouldn’t notice it wasn’t 100% accurate or indeed be that bothered.

Running a renumbered loco with a slight detail mismatch in my view is nothing like as heinous as hauling a totally mismatched rake of wagons or coaches. Back in the day when Hornby released their TOPE CLAM and RUDD in the erstwhile Dutch livery. I wonder how many modellers knew that the latter were airbraked whilst the others were vac braked, despite all being converted from 21T coal wagon donors. Or even, do many modellers recognise a CLAM from a RUDD ?

By this time these vehicles were in use there were very very few trains that were not fully braked, thereby needing a brakevan, and also by this time plough brakes (Sharks) were literally a wagon for ploughing the ballast, and sometimes a handy mobile messroom for engineers staff, but were not authorised to be used as a brakevan at the rear of a not fully fitted freight train. Most Sharks were built with vacuum brakes, but latterly a few were retro modified with air brakes (ZUA) or an additional air pipe to the vac brake (ZUW).

The bogie ballast hoppers started with SR Walrus which were vacuum braked, then the BR Sealions which were dual braked (YGH). Variants of the Sealions were Seacows which were air braked and vac piped (YGB), then BR acquired a small batch of Whales which were air only.  As the use of vac brakes diminished, wagons receiving heavy maintenance saw the equipment either isolated or removed, so YGHs became either YGBs or YGAs.

Etc etc    

Anyway, I digressed and intended to say that one of the most useful ballast wagons that Accurascale could produce would be the Catfish (ZEV) and the ex WR Herring (ZLV) 

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Running a renumbered loco with a slight detail mismatch in my view is nothing like as heinous as hauling a totally mismatched rake of wagons or coaches. Back in the day when Hornby released their TOPE CLAM and RUDD in the erstwhile Dutch livery. I wonder how many modellers knew that the latter were airbraked whilst the others were vac braked, despite all being converted from 21T coal wagon donors. Or even, do many modellers recognise a CLAM from a RUDD ?

By this time these vehicles were in use there were very very few trains that were not fully braked, thereby needing a brakevan, and also by this time plough brakes (Sharks) were literally a wagon for ploughing the ballast, and sometimes a handy mobile messroom for engineers staff, but were not authorised to be used as a brakevan at the rear of a not fully fitted freight train. Most Sharks were built with vacuum brakes, but latterly a few were retro modified with air brakes (ZUA) or an additional air pipe to the vac brake (ZUW).

The bogie ballast hoppers started with SR Walrus which were vacuum braked, then the BR Sealions which were dual braked (YGH). Variants of the Sealions were Seacows which were air braked and vac piped (YGB), then BR acquired a small batch of Whales which were air only.  As the use of vac brakes diminished, wagons receiving heavy maintenance saw the equipment either isolated or removed, so YGHs became either YGBs or YGAs.

Etc etc    

Anyway, I digressed and intended to say that one of the most useful ballast wagons that Accurascale could produce would be the Catfish (ZEV) and the ex WR Herring (ZLV) 

Herrings? Nooooo already got a complete shoal of the blighters ….

As have others. They are great characterful little wagons…. Mind you, accurascale could go to town on the brake gear , it’s not easy on the kit!

06AE23A3-5ACB-43E9-A63A-3E4DEBCF1097.jpeg.39bae83b9556ba798fefa484f3297b7e.jpeg

AAF2422A-2B15-4FCD-919E-3E013EBDFECC.jpeg.9f6bbdc5532aa22741f6adf1f0a04b95.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

As have others. They are great characterful little wagons…. Mind you, accurascale could go to town on the brake gear , it’s not easy on the kit!

Sorry to go (a little) O/T but Mr Bullock is also to be commended for pretty accurately capturing the colour of Tintern Quarry stone.  A lesson in accurate wagon loads for everyone to note. 😇

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Is the one that is upside down a Limpet? :)

• Funny 6

17 hours ago, JohnR said:

I'm just saying it would be helpful if they told us what those variations are

Accurascale and Bachmann do this I believe, it's listed on the AS pages what toolings etc used on a loco IIRC. Unsure how comprehensive it is.

17 hours ago, JohnR said:

and a list of other locos with the same variations. 

That's the bit that would take too much work for little benefit in my opinion.

Like in the case of present day 37, maybe doable. 2000 and earlier, no chance IMO, too many differences across too many locos.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Accurascale  do this I believe, it's listed on the AS pages what toolings etc used on a loco IIRC. Unsure how comprehensive it is.

Each version we produce lists out the specific variations unique to that individual model, for example:

Class 37/4 - 37409 "Lord Hinton"

• 2018-present
  • BR Large Logo livery
  • Centre headcode nose with headlight, large LED tail lights and MW socket
  • Refurbished 'split' nose grilles
  • Nose aerial
  • Cutaway bufferbeam cowling with oval buffers
  • ETH bufferbeam configuration with ETH/air/vac/control/MW pipes
  • Toughened windscreens with as built cab layout
  • Plated bodyside windows (both sides)
  • Welded roof with plated boiler exhaust and small cab roof vent
  • Fabricated bogies
  • Boiler water tank converted to long range fuel tank
  • Late EE cantrail grilles
  • Plated bodyside water filler and associated steps
  • Optional miniature snowploughs
  • Triple cab door kickplate

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 11.53.07.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

90F642B7-C2CA-4A12-ACF9-A3ACD2D0F4C4.jpeg.e924639a16b2098da5af79594a44eec5.jpeg

53A7EA47-D08C-4892-89C9-A00D0175F42C.jpeg.eb015bb0e44b5ffeaad9e8fd5b15b7fe.jpeg

I did get a picture of the roof section removed…

CAAB670A-E43A-4F0C-A73F-70B280F28562.jpeg.d47c62dbbd255dc5ab8310cf69f9e6c8.jpeg

Thank you for sharing the photos, I couldn’t get to Warley so I really appreciate this. 

These 37s are looking superb and there is so much attention to detail. We are in for a treat. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Car type headlight looks on the large size, is this example pre or post reducing it's size ?

this is the original decorated sample pre correction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Am I correct in thinking that invoices are being sent out for 37s?

I’ve seen mentions of it and I just want to decide if I can buy another 92 or have to pay for a 37 :)

Simon

Batch 2 of the 37 will be here in about 40 days so those balance invoices have been raised but are not due until late January. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

23 minutes ago, McC said:

Batch 2 of the 37 will be here in about 40 days so those balance invoices have been raised but are not due until late January. 

Blimey, I had batch 2 down as March, excellent if you’ve bettered that by two months!

I’ll hold my money for them then!

Thanks,

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, McC said:

So batch 2 in 40 days so batch 1 sooner or has batch 2 overtaken batch 1 and we are having some kind of batch race (could batch 3 be coming up the rail on the inside about a length behind)!
Sorry losing the plot somewhere.

• Funny 3

41 minutes ago, McC said:

Have invoices been sent out for batch 1 orders? Not seen an email? 
kind regards 

Bill.