Class 37, by Accurascale

On 18/09/2023 at 16:54, Kaput said:

Alas and much to my sadness, my replacement 37402 has started doing the weird motor surging the same as the original (and developed a slight but noticable motor growl) so I've started the return process, this time for a refund 😞

Out of my 4 Class 37's I have had 2 do this now. I have just posted the second one back today. After about 30 minutes during its running in it started to surge, then slow down and at one point completely stop. It was not a decoder issue as I swapped them between one of my good 37's. What I did notice was the amount of amps the faulty one was drawing. It was drawing around 1.5 amps. My other two 37's only draw around 0.7 amp, clearly a motor problem. It also got very hot! 

I am hoping that we have just been very unlucky as I have another two arriving tomorrow, with a additional one yet to be posted.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not to scare anyone but Rails just called looking for volunteers to cancel a ROG 37608.

i dont see many about online either.

Anyone with any sense will hang on to these. They will be like Hens teeth. 

im gonna make a prediction £600 for one if one goes up. 
EDIT -one on Ebay for £330 😯😯

BTW. im not parting with ANY of mine. 

Edited by Krieghoff

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cliff - Exeter TMD said:

What I did notice was the amount of amps the faulty one was drawing. It was drawing around 1.5 amps. My other two 37's only draw around 0.7 amp, clearly a motor problem. It also got very hot! 

Thanks for adding some 'hard numbers' to the debate, I suspect you're right, but there is a possibility that it could be an overly tight gearbox/powertrain causing the excessive motor current - as with the first batch Heljan Class 17s.

• RMweb Gold

602 and 609 arrived today from TMC. Terrific - thanks ACC.

Having bought a separate sound decoder and speaker for the 609, to see some sound 609s come back up for sale is a little upsetting.

And missed the 97 again. No notification as requested. Seems that there is a need to be 24/7 checking the web site!

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

And missed the 97 again. No notification as requested.

It's been stated a few times that the notifications go out in batches, so that those who have requested notifications 'first' have the best opportunity to order one.  The notifications will stop being sent once there is nil stock.  There's no way of proving it, but I suspect you were too far down the list.

Steve

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Thanks for adding some 'hard numbers' to the debate, I suspect you're right, but there is a possibility that it could be an overly tight gearbox/powertrain causing the excessive motor current - as with the first batch Heljan Class 17s.

Hi @spamcan61,

With all due respect the issue that affected the Heljan Class 17 first run was a manufacturing issue that affected all models in that batch. There are literally thousands of 37s out in the wild now not displaying this issue above. It is very likely an isolated issue. Cliff is in contact with our warranty team and we will endeavour to get to the bottom of it as best we can.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @spamcan61,

With all due respect the issue that affected the Heljan Class 17 first run was a manufacturing issue that affected all models in that batch. There are literally thousands of 37s out in the wild now not displaying this issue above. It is very likely an isolated issue. Cliff is in contact with our warranty team and we will endeavour to get to the bottom of it as best we can.

Cheers!

Fran

Whilst the Heljan 17 is an extreme example, I stand by my statement that the motor itself isn't necessarily the root cause of excess current draw.

1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

602 and 609 arrived today from TMC. Terrific - thanks ACC.

Having bought a separate sound decoder and speaker for the 609, to see some sound 609s come back up for sale is a little upsetting.

And missed the 97 again. No notification as requested. Seems that there is a need to be 24/7 checking the web site!

I may have a spare 97!

I told the wife to sign up for notifications and to just buy it if one comes available. You guessed it! I forgot to tell her I got one and this afternoon she purchased another sound fitted one! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Whilst the Heljan 17 is an extreme example, I stand by my statement that the motor itself isn't necessarily the root cause of excess current draw.

Its worth noting that the loco ran fine for the first 30 minutes at a normal amperage level before the amps shot up and it started to slow down before stopping. Once cooled down it did move again, but only slow at a high amperage reading.

@Accurascale Fran the model is on its way back to the model shop. They will receive it tomorrow and said they will forward it straight on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Cliff - Exeter TMD said:

Its worth noting that the loco ran fine for the first 30 minutes at a normal amperage level before the amps shot up and it started to slow down before stopping. Once cooled down it did move again, but only slow at a high amperage reading.

@Accurascale Fran the model is on its way back to the model shop. They will receive it tomorrow and said they will forward it straight on.

If you’ve an Alpha Meter in the track circuit it’s something we’ve seen issues with programming and stay alive and performance too. Am sure your retailer can sort a replacement for you or liaise with us. Either way they’re best placed to help. 

2 minutes ago, McC said:

If you’ve an Alpha Meter in the track circuit it’s something we’ve seen issues with programming and stay alive and performance too. Am sure your retailer can sort a replacement for you or liaise with us. Either way they’re best placed to help. 

I was just reading the amps in the Z21 app. I don't have an external meter connected. My Loch Lomond and 97 run perfect. They have had a good couple of hours running each with no issues to report. I have another two 37's arriving tomorrow which hopefully will run equally as well. 

I will be at Camborne on Friday and look forward to meeting someone from the team. Do I need my credit card? lol

If my memory serves me correctly, there was an issue mentioned in this forum regarding the inability of the ESU ECoS to recognise the modified V5 Loksound decoders as fitted in the Accurascale class 37 locomotives.

I believe McC mentioned new firmware was due (already introduced to LokProgrammer) in the near future.

In case anyone has one of these controllers and has missed any update news, I have just downloaded the latest firmware to my ECoS and it now recognises the new Loksound decoders. New firmware was on the ESU website 13th September.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

19 hours ago, Br60066 said:

Hi Guys, Anyone had any joy getting 2 of these to consist together and run at the same speed? One of my models is sound and the other has the standard Accurascale DCC chip in it but I can't get them to match speeds. When hauling something like FNA's it causes the wagons to derail since they are always either being pulled apart or pushed together. Is this likely a problem with the models manufacturing tolerances meaning they will always run at slightly different speeds or will I need to run both models on the same decoder to resolve the issue?

What CVs are you using 5 and 6 or 67 to 94?

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Obviously there is a lot of excitement around the 37/6s arriving on layouts, and the original pilot batch are on the high seas are to come next month, but we have also received decorated samples for run 2 recently and they are now in production. 

group.jpg.0b3a4ef0b787cf611dec18931692e2df.jpg

Full update and some snazzy snaps of them right here: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/class-37-run-two-decorated-samples-are-here-full-update

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Obviously there is a lot of excitement around the 37/6s arriving on layouts, and the original pilot batch are on the high seas are to come next month, but we have also received decorated samples for run 2 recently and they are now in production. 

Full update and some snazzy snaps of them right here: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/class-37-run-two-decorated-samples-are-here-full-update

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran

Looking great! Just one comment based on your full update…. Why are the buffer shanks not going to be silver? See 6986 and a couple of others on Brush Veterans super photos … Here …. In my memory those round oleo shanks certainly were shiny!

An easy fix with paint if they emerge as brown/black as you suggest but just wondering why?

Cheers 

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hi Fran

Looking great! Just one comment based on your full update…. Why are the buffer shanks not going to be silver? See 6986 and a couple of others on Brush Veterans super photos … Here …. In my memory those round oleo shanks certainly were shiny!

An easy fix with paint if they emerge as brown/black as you suggest but just wondering why?

Cheers 

Phil

Hi Phil,

My apologies, I should have been clearer. The oleo fitted locos will have silver, the other buffer variants will not as per prototype.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

They look really good. Is the ETA still early next year? 

• Agree 1

Owwww, the DPD man brought much excitement this morning to York...

PSX_20230921_122412.jpg.4bdc2c6896038a0dbdb0794927dc8d67.jpg

PSX_20230921_122426.jpg.5fe137abe7391f45358b3fdda1c87910.jpg

This is my first, and for now only, Accurascale loco. You filthy people - you've created an absolute monster that's beautiful from all angles! It's so bloody good 👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻 

The sound files and speakers are beautiful too. What an absolute weapon this loco is. Thank you! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Phil,

My apologies, I should have been clearer. The oleo fitted locos will have silver, the other buffer variants will not as per prototype.

Cheers!

Fran 

Ah that’s great Fran. Couldn’t imagine you not sticking to prototype , many thanks for clarification 

Looking forwards to D6702 arriving followed by a couple of these beauties.

Cheers 

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock