Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I was also wondering, as these have ESU decoders, could the firmware be updated so that treble and bass can be adjusted. This is a new feature with V5 Loksound decoders that can be easily adjusted with a Lokprogrammer.

Yes, as long as you can gain access to a Lokprogrammer you can update the firmware, then spend hours messing around with the bass, treble and overall volume whilst running the loco.

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

how much is a lok programmer & 1 where can i get it from and 2 is it easy to use?

If you bought the loco or chip direct, you can send the chip to our team for a new firmware one, or a reblow / upgrade. Just reach out to support (no cost obv)

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, McC said:

If you bought the loco or chip direct, you can send the chip to our team for a new firmware one, or a reblow / upgrade. Just reach out to support (no cost obv)

oh cool, i no idea when there firmware update, i just know if i did a reblow and something went wrong later on and i did cv 8 = 8 i would lose the reblow unless some one has found away to keep it?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Or try to find a friendly and local RMWebber with a Lokprogrammer who can help?

Roy

A point I had considered myself Roy. If anyone needs assistance and you are within reach of Gloucestershire drop me a PM 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

A point I had considered myself Roy. If anyone needs assistance and you are within reach of Gloucestershire drop me a PM 

I wonder if it's worth starting a thread in the DCC section, where Lokprogrammer owners willing to help others can post their approximate location?

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 55020 said:

I wonder if it's worth starting a thread in the DCC section, where Lokprogrammer owners willing to help others can post their approximate location?

Steve

Nice thought Steve …. But this is a specific issue and I did rather fear a blizzard if it’s a wider offer, I have a layout to build too!  Let’s see if owt comes from this…. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 55020 said:

Steve

I would suggest the other way round, if people need help say where they are and they could be PMed with offers to help. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, McC said:

Accurascale sent me a Class 37 decoder last week. Would this one have the new firmware on it???

On 26/11/2023 at 21:43, tlm said:

Missed out on the DCC Sound 6704 so decided to retrofit the DCC Ready version. Unfortunately AS are currently out of stock of the Accurathrash speaker, so I decided to try ESU's current 4 ohm Passive Radiator speaker, which is exactly the same size including in respect of the lugs and slots at the end, which means it can make use of the AS speaker clips to secure it. The only problem I had was that the circuit board in the loco had a slight convex shape, and is consequently higher in the centre which shows up reasonably well in the first image. This meant that when the decoder and speaker were fitted, the removable roof section would not sit properly. However, this proved to be a simple fix with two small plastic shims slotted beneath the cantrail lip on both sides just to the right of the centre roof magnet in the first image, and which depressed the circuit board just enough to make it level. The second image shows the installation before final tidying of the wiring out of the way. The speaker comes with an attached lead with the correct size JST plug. The leads are a little long but neatly curl flat. The sound reproduction is very similar to the Accurathrash speaker with perhaps a little more top end; just enough to sound slightly different when run running two together. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

I also purchased the new ESU speakers, both the large and smaller version. I had to sand a small amount off the base of the larger one as it measured 8.6mm. It gives a more of a treble sound and you can detect a hint more base from the smaller version. Much more to my liking. Still have to tidy up some wiring.

Bill.

IMG_20231128_160507_015.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Dunmar said:

I also purchased the new ESU speakers, both the large and smaller version. I had to sand a small amount off the base of the larger one as it measured 8.6mm. It gives a more of a treble sound and you can detect a hint more base from the smaller version. Much more to my liking. Still have to tidy up some wiring.

Bill.

IMG_20231128_160507_015.jpg

Will that 4ohm load not upset the decoder when combined with the Accurascale sugar cube or have you removed that ? Cheers, Ian 

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 55020 said:

Steve

Rmweb self help group ?

locaholics anonymous..

hi, i’m adb and ive got a model train problem.

😃

• Funny 7

16 hours ago, meanach said:

Will that 4ohm load not upset the decoder when combined with the Accurascale sugar cube or have you removed that ? Cheers, Ian 

Tossed that out on receipt of loco as it rattled something awful.

16 hours ago, meanach said:

The Accurathrash speaker Accurascale provide as standard is also rated at 4 ohms impedance, so if you are worried about that, the options are to remove the sugar cube from the loco (not difficult to do, and I have done so on two of my AS 37s), or to keep the volume turned down a bit. All of mine have the volume reduced to around the 90 to 120 level in CV63 and, in fact, very, very few (if any) of my sound locos from any brand have their volumes set at the highest setting.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

et's Get Involved, our step-by-step modelling guides on how to personalise and take your Accurascale model to a new level is back, and it's a big one; the ultimate Class 37 weathering guide!

Talented modeller @James Makin has taken on the weathering of a number of our models in the past, but he has gone to town on one of our tractors, looking to replicate 37059 in it's decrepit condition in the early days of privitisation, complete with faded logos, removed nameplates, filth, patches and rust, not to mention former liveries coming through the paint work.

0D1A4E65-60CA-4275-9772-EBC3AB59708D_1_201_a.jpeg.e396f050b2d3cea158306a1dd82ec720.jpeg

Acc-37-37059-GBayer.jpg.70a98634eb7a506739b84861f6736dcf.jpg

This step by step guide shows you how you can inflict such grime on your own loco, using some or all the tips if you want to go for that real run down appearance!

Check it out here: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/lets-get-involved/lets-get-involved-class-37-weathering-guide-by-james-makin

Cheers!

Fran 

Truly Inspiring. Is there any weathering job this man can't do? 😆

Saw this in person at the weekend, and it really is even better in person! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

et's Get Involved, our step-by-step modelling guides on how to personalise and take your Accurascale model to a new level is back, and it's a big one; the ultimate Class 37 weathering guide!

Talented modeller @James Makin has taken on the weathering of a number of our models in the past, but he has gone to town on one of our tractors, looking to replicate 37059 in it's decrepit condition in the early days of privitisation, complete with faded logos, removed nameplates, filth, patches and rust, not to mention former liveries coming through the paint work.

0D1A4E65-60CA-4275-9772-EBC3AB59708D_1_201_a.jpeg.e396f050b2d3cea158306a1dd82ec720.jpeg

Acc-37-37059-GBayer.jpg.70a98634eb7a506739b84861f6736dcf.jpg

This step by step guide shows you how you can inflict such grime on your own loco, using some or all the tips if you want to go for that real run down appearance!

Check it out here: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/lets-get-involved/lets-get-involved-class-37-weathering-guide-by-james-makin

Cheers!

Fran 

Absolutely brilliant. Well done @James Makin.

When I get some more confidence, I'd love to do something like this, but I'll try it out first on some of my railroad quality models first before attacking my better models.

@Accurascale Fran, may I ask, if it's easy, that the images on your website blog are larger, or even clickable to get a larger pop-outs? James's work is sometimes intricate and, with my eye sight and an 28" monitor, I still struggle a little.

Edited by Damo666
Stupid typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Absolutely brilliant. Well done @James Makin.

When I get some more confidence, I'd love to do something like this, but I'll try it out first on some of my railroad quality models first before attacking my better models.

@Accurascale Fran, may I ask, if it's easy, that the images on your website blog are larger, or even clickable to get a larger pop-outs? James's work is sometimes intricate and, with my eye sight and an 28" monitor, I still struggle a little.

James' Flickr account has larger images

https://www.flickr.com/photos/196023486@N08

Accurascale Class 37 37059 by James Makin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic little nugget here i’d never thought to use..

By the later stage of the 1990s, most Class 37s had received the bonnet-mounted radio aerials, so these were replicated on the model of 37059. My preference is to use a toothbrush bristle, trimmed from an old brush, superglued into a fine hole drilled in the peak of the nose. The bristles are ideal for this as they are not only fine, but extremely flexible, allowing them to take any amount of knocks and handling without being damaged.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Fantastic little nugget here i’d never thought to use..

Thanks, I hoped that some might find this useful! I first read about the toothbrush method in Model Rail magazine back in the heady early days when I was cutting my teeth in the hobby (pun intended) - the likes of masters Darren Sherwood, Dave Lowery and Chris Leigh upgrading Lima diesels in the late 90s - the toothbrush bristle technique served me well as I've never had a broken aerial since!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1