Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

• RMweb Gold

At the lower price they're well worth a punt. I thought that they were initially overpriced given they weren't the best OO models (a premium price is fine if it is for a premium product) but at the price they now go for I'd say go for it. Although not brilliant models I wouldn't call them bad models either.

The EM1s in black with early crest, listed on Hatton's, now all gone, blue ones still available at the mo.

Nice looking locos but not something that really fits with my modelling areas, was tempting all the same...

Cheers,

Keith

I was watching the black 26020 as soon as it was listed (>10), but by late Friday it suddenly went to 5 left, so I bagged one. Fits in well on a GE lines layout, but only if on the electrified bit, not north west Norfolk! And I can't use the excuse of 'M&GN-remained-open-and-was-updated' this time.

I have just purchased one of the EM2s from Hattons (27006 "Pandora") and I have to say it's a lovely model, however I was disappointed not to find any etched name plates in the box? Does anyone know if it is supposed to come with them or do these have to be sourced separately?

• RMweb Gold

I have just purchased one of the EM2s from Hattons (27006 "Pandora") and I have to say it's a lovely model, however I was disappointed not to find any etched name plates in the box? Does anyone know if it is supposed to come with them or do these have to be sourced separately?

Mine does

Thanks for that, yes I have since contacted Hattons and they have acknowledged that it should have included the name plates. A set of them is now in the post :sungum: I have to say it is a stunning model!

Glad you like it, I was struck by the EM2, particularly the fine roof detail.  Really like my EM1's though - when you've wanted something for ages but refused to budge on the £165 asking price its very satisfying to snap them up at £40 off.

Reading back through this thread is interesting.  Lots of comments of "this is wrong - its too big", "this is too narrow", "they got this right", often referring to the same thing!  But the oft repeated comment is "I would have bought one but they're too expensive".  Now we're at Class 66 prices for them, I wonder if these same people might be reconsidering or whether that ship has now sailed.  I wonder as well what Olivias think - they must have had a lot unsold for hattons to be shifting them like this - if only they'd pitched them a little cheaper????   

Glad you like it, I was struck by the EM2, particularly the fine roof detail.  Really like my EM1's though - when you've wanted something for ages but refused to budge on the £165 asking price its very satisfying to snap them up at £40 off.

Reading back through this thread is interesting.  Lots of comments of "this is wrong - its too big", "this is too narrow", "they got this right", often referring to the same thing!  But the oft repeated comment is "I would have bought one but they're too expensive".  Now we're at Class 66 prices for them, I wonder if these same people might be reconsidering or whether that ship has now sailed.  I wonder as well what Olivias think - they must have had a lot unsold for hattons to be shifting them like this - if only they'd pitched them a little cheaper????   

I'm also a bit baffled as to why Olivia's trains didn't just simply discount the locos themselves rather than involve a 3rd party trader to do so? I suppose Hatton's may be a bit better known but unless Hattons are doing it for zero commission or have actually bought the stock outright from Olivias all I can see is that it's increased selling overheads and reduced profit!

However having said that... I'm not grumbling and "Pandora" will do nicely in my heritage fleet!

I'm also a bit baffled as to why Olivia's trains didn't just simply discount the locos themselves rather than involve a 3rd party trader to do so? I suppose Hatton's may be a bit better known but unless Hattons are doing it for zero commission or have actually bought the stock outright from Olivias all I can see is that it's increased selling overheads and reduced profit!

However having said that... I'm not grumbling and "Pandora" will do nicely in my heritage fleet!

Knowing of the reputation of the proprietor of Olivia's Trains, I suspect that he'd rather lose margin than be seen dead selling retail at a discount !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Knowing of the reputation of the proprietor of Olivia's Trains, I suspect that he'd rather lose margin than be seen dead selling retail at a discount !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Perhaps, I don't know the man.  But when i bought an EM2 from his ebay page, he was helpful in sorting out a lighting issue.  But going back to your point, we all know where Hattons got the 76/77's from (along with other stuff) and the price reduction seems to have bumped a few sales.  This was money that could have all gone to Olivias rather than Hattons taking a cut.  Maybe Hattons bought them all up??  We'll never know.  If that is the case, might they have further to fall in price?

I am, cant decide whether to get a vac and a dual braked one or two dual braked ones, maybe I should just get 3?

Hmm, a couple of hiccups today with both 76's.  One running with panto up (but tethered so not fully extended) went and jammed itself under a tree 'root' when running under a scenic section.  It blew its chip, a hattons type.  I guess it drove itself in so the wheels could no longer turn, stalled and burned out.  My fault.

The other wasn't and was a duff build.  When running in on dc, it made a whirring noise and the wheels didn't turn.  Popping the top off showed the driveshaft between the motor and bogie had popped out.  I put it back in and carried on running in.  No problems.  Took it off to chip it and the driveshaft comes out again.  So it put it back again.  And it does it again and again.  Clearly something not right with this one (the driveshaft seems too short) so 26049 (blue, no cables) has gone back to Hattons.  A pity, but there's something not right with it and i'm not going to spend time messing around with it.

The other bug bear with these is the lighting.  Only two leading lights *sometimes* come on (i thought the top headlight might but its clearly not built this way - no wires to it).  This seems to be a dcc chip issue.  In order to get both leading lights to come on with an ESU chip, i need f1, but there will be no tail lights.  The hattons chip didn't have this issue and lit as normal.   Fiddled around tonight, but got nowhere, even with a chip reset.  I'm all 76'd out now, so time for bed.

Well, I bit the bullet yesterday afternoon and came back from Hattons with E26049 and 76022.

For all the criticisms of the models, I must say I'm rather pleased with myself for bagging them at £120/£125 respectively.

The pans are still cr*p though ;-)

• RMweb Premium

Well, I bit the bullet yesterday afternoon and came back from Hattons with E26049 and 76022.

For all the criticisms of the models, I must say I'm rather pleased with myself for bagging them at £120/£125 respectively.

The pans are still cr*p though ;-)

See my post #801 re pantographs.

As the weather was dire I've been doing a bit today on my model of Reddish Depot.

I really must start a new thread on this, I can't get the hang of posting images directly on RMweb so a Flickr link will have to do for now.

This is the Sand Dryer at the Gorton end of the depot. Still a bit to do, but you get the idea.

As with the depot building this is made from Lego (well, Lego copies mainly) then clad in Slater's brick styrene.

Cheers

E3109

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barang_shkoot/41173376101/in/dateposted-public/

I’m another waiting in the wings for a nice price drop...and it’s happened

I always loved the Woodhead route,and travelled on it in December 1970 on a train spotting trip , unaware it was due to close to passengers a couple of weeks later.........I just bought 4 76s ,I may buy another.

The Walthers brick diesel shop is a good pass for a Reddish type shed,need to source the catenary ??????

Another project forming in my head

• RMweb Gold

I’m another waiting in the wings for a nice price drop...and it’s happened

I always loved the Woodhead route,and travelled on it in December 1970 on a train spotting trip , unaware it was due to close to passengers a couple of weeks later.........I just bought 4 76s ,I may buy another.

The Walthers brick diesel shop is a good pass for a Reddish type shed,need to source the catenary ??????

Another project forming in my head

Do you have a link or catalog number for the diesel shop ?

• 1 month later...
A Heljan rarity,an EM1 that actually runs with pantograph that contact the wire!.They are not wired in at present,i`m waiting for a sub miniature slide switch to switch the supply between track & overhead.These are Trix pantographs,the loco is fitted with a Marklin skate but i was not best pleased to find that the pantographs were non working.It now runs with the pans running on the contact wire with no snagging.

post-4249-0-73173500-1527344792_thumb.jpg

Ray.

Bagged a couple of dual braked (thus MW fitted) examples from Hattons yesterday.

If you want any of these folks get in now as the 76022 stock is very low and the 76014 examples sold out a bit back (as did the black ones).

They still have plenty of the vac braked ones, especially the green one BUT I visited there the other week and they said that once they're gone, they're gone, no repeat orders.

I'll be content with a dozen or so, halfway there now.

EM2 stocks remain healthy but it's only a matter of time before they're gone too.

I realise this may be a bit weird but my other passion is Asian locos.

I just put these 1:64 beasts on shed, just to check they'd actually fit through the doors!

Cheers

Baz

E3109

post-10566-0-41881300-1527388688_thumb.jpeg

Archived