Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure what that says about the care being taken on these models if they have decided a respray of a production could be sold as a model of Tommy.

They managed to pass off an approximation of an EM1 as an EM1, so anything is possible.

Mike.

PS. Sorry to open old wounds :pardon:

Pedant mode - is it not time the 'Blue Pullman' referance was dropped from the title of this thread?

Stewart

Now re-titled, the previous decision to leave it as was is a couple of years old now.

They managed to pass off an approximation of an EM1 as an EM1, so anything is possible.

Mike.

PS. Sorry to open old wounds :pardon:

Which was my point, the EM1 wasn't a bad model maybe not definitive but an acceptable model, the EM2 had issues and now Tommy is just a reliveried EM1. Smacks of Lima to me and I thought we'd left that era behind. I know it costs a lot to create a model and maybe the returns for OT hasn't been what was originally forecast, but if you cannot produce a decent model then don't bother.

Guest maxthemapman

Which was my point, the EM1 wasn't a bad model maybe not definitive but an acceptable model, the EM2 had issues and now Tommy is just a reliveried EM1. Smacks of Lima to me and I thought we'd left that era behind. I know it costs a lot to create a model and maybe the returns for OT hasn't been what was originally forecast, but if you cannot produce a decent model then don't bother.

I suspect that they will be spraying these to order, so they put the picture up, and chanced it.

They aren't hurting anyone doing this, so why get upset. If anyone wants one, they will order one.

Anyway, didn't Hattons do the 17 in fictitious liveries. I can see a what-if Woodhead layout, as intended by the LNER, having enormous appeal. EM1 in lined black, EM2 in lined green, teak coaches, and EMUs. Very colourful.

I think Olivia's Trains has found out that Limited Editions are not the pot of gold that a lot of people think they are. It was brave of them to go with the EM1 & EM2 models however if they still have stock of the Class 76' s which they are now respraying to order this appears to indicate that their market forecast for this model was not realistic or has changed due to the economic downturn.

Still at least Olivia's had a go and many modelers now have a Class 76 which they a happy with.

XF

• 1 year later...

I fancy one of the Olivia's Trains class 76s  but they are quite dear! I don't know if anyone has asked this before but what are the chances of these locos being released through all shops? They would be cheaper then would they not?

Dave

They were commissioned by Olivia's Trains so unlikely unless Heljan have an option after so many years to do a general release.

Even if they did there would need to be a latent demand for more of these and the fact OT still have some of theirs left says they might have met the demand for the model.

I fancy one of the Olivia's Trains class 76s  but they are quite dear! I don't know if anyone has asked this before but what are the chances of these locos being released through all shops? They would be cheaper then would they not?

Dave

Well it comes pre fitted with a speaker and every grill is etched meaning you have to pay attention when picking it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is in France, gets to run but I will admit not at a show yet. It's not really a big favourite of mine being out of my main region. Compared with other Heljan models of the time, it does have a lot of etched grills. It's not really compatible to run alongside AC electrics which are not that common at shows either.

• RMweb Gold

A 26020 went on eBay last week. A standard Olivia's model, chipped and discribed as like new, it went for £155. That is only £5 less than the cost of a new one.

Maybe the joy of not having to deal with the rather abrupt customer care which Olivia's is becoming famous for was a factor. Also, I might buy one if I could purchase on online securely rather than having to ring up some stranger and give them my credit card details. EBay would allow that facility thankfully. 

• 2 years later...

Maybe the joy of not having to deal with the rather abrupt customer care which Olivia's is becoming famous for was a factor. Also, I might buy one if I could purchase on online securely rather than having to ring up some stranger and give them my credit card details. EBay would allow that facility thankfully. 

20% Advent Calendar discount this weekend! Re-reading the pricing comments (albeit 5 years on) highlights prophetic comments and that we live in a different pricing era now! 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pondering this since the model came out, reviews here and elsewhere have put me right off.

To echo others, what a shame they didn't get it right first time. Heljan's HS4000 is superb, so we all know they're capable of doing a good job.

When the Bachmann 37 first came out, the cantrail curve was all wrong and Bachmann rectified this, no doubt at considerable expense. Can we expect the same for the EM1 and EM2 from Heljan? Somehow I doubt it, given the niche market of MSW.

So, what to do now? Well for me, as much as I resent paying £150 for something that is pretty substandard in many ways, I reckon I'll bite the bullet and try one or two.

The pantographs have been debated at length, not much to add except that I may end up using Lima ones that were (wrongly) used on the 87. My only issue is that they don't raise far enough... But we will see.

To me, the all-important feature on any locomotive is the 'face': get that wrong, and you have a big problem. The EM1 and EM2 fail in this respect, but they aren't beyond redemption.

On both types, the windscreen frames are WAY too thin and no amount of superfluous, oversize rivets is gonna change that.

What I propose to do is carefully remove the existing frames, and then make new ones.

Brass etches would be good (anyone willing to make these?) but knowing me, I'll go down the usual E3109 route and attach new frames from 0.010" plasticard, fixed as solid plates then file out the apertures.

This should go some way towards rectifying the screen/cabside discrepancy. Yeah I'd agree that on the EM1 at least, the cabside windows are too low but I reckon by fettling the screen frames, this can be disguised to a point where it isn't an issue.

The EM2 has a MASSIVE issue with the quarterlights. They're way too wide, to the point of being vulgar. It was this issue alone which put me off buying one. 76s and EM2s are identical in this respect, so how on earth did they get that one wrong? The 76 cabside windows are about the right size (despite being too low) so why did they make such a pig's ear of the Co-Co?

What I propose is to build up the inside of the EM2 quarterlights with plasticard and/or filler. Not sure yet, but I'm minded to lean towards building up the leading edges rather than the droplight pillar.

Incidentally, I'd bet a month's salary that the windscreens on both types are identical in size. The EM2's seem wider because the cabs taper in, whereas there is little or no taper on an EM1. Thus the central pillar is narrower on an EM2, giving rise to an optical illusion when the two types are side by side.

The bottom line is this: I utterly resent having to modify a ridiculously overpriced model.

Don't even get me started on the buffer beam height on the 76.... Has anyone been able to correct this yet, without major surgery?

But, bite the bullet I shall.

To add to the previous post, I'd understood the roof profile to be wrong, the central curved panel should rise much higher so that the pantographs when down are within its profile envelope.

Wonder if you'd not be better with a kit body, DC or MSL, and use the RTR chassis - yet more expense!

John.

I bought an EM1 ages ago. To add to the criticisms, the bogies are very clumsily executed. It might have been possible to get away with this if they were black but the aluminium finish highlights everything. It is possible to buy a version with black bogies but this raises another problem. The disc lenses these locomotives used have been most ingeniously depicted but each fixes into two holes. Where a lens isn’t required, the holes don’t show up on a black locomotive but they do on a yellow fronted or electric blue one.

This put me off buying an EM2. When a model hangs around for a few years, what seemed at first a high price comes to seem more reasonable. However, the prices of EM1s and EM2s already in stock were raised (!), so the prices were still high, especially for a flawed model. I dithered for years but bearing in mind that these models have spoilt the market for another more careful manufacturer, I decided to get one next time a special offer beckoned. It arrived recently with a couple of detached grills and broken buffers. Fixable by sacrificing the springing in the buffers. Hm. I now have an EM2 of sorts. At least it runs well.

If any kind and careful manufacturer were to take the plunge, I’d be in the market. Sadly, I can’t see it happening.

Archived