Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

Well, it's a must have item for me.

I still have an original and un-modified Triang Hornby version that I bought in 1974(ish), un-boxed but new, it cost me £4.00. It still runs too :)

Please let it be produced.

PL

Exactly how highly regarded were the Blue Pullman trains at the time, either the prototypes or the model...

There were far more exciting things on the main lines. Deltics, and the LNER pacific classes for a start, Bulleid's pacifics out of Waterloo, and the WCML electrification. Yet another DMU which ran on secondary routes, so what? Consequently, I was never interested in a model of it either, then or now.

I am far more interested in the longer term prospect of the class 77: now there was an item I wanted when younger, having seen them at work on their original route, and subsequently in The Netherlands.

There were far more exciting things on the main lines. Deltics, and the LNER pacific classes for a start, Bulleid's pacifics out of Waterloo, and the WCML electrification. Yet another DMU which ran on secondary routes, so what? Consequently, I was never interested in a model of it either, then or now.

Secondary routes? Did it?

Guest Max Stafford

To my eyes the BP is one of the most striking and attractive trains of its generation, with a very handsome and elegant livery and clean, modern intermediate vehicles that appear to presage the aircon Mk2 bodyline.

Not at all dull or routine in my book!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Even though the prices are a bit high to what I'm used to, I was and am still interested but I'm not putting down a £60 cheque for one of each, that'll be £120 at least taken out of action. I'm not doing that without some kind of sight of the finished item and it's not something that any other retailer or manufacturer has had to do.

Guest Max Stafford

Whilst I fully respect your choices and your right to make them based on cost, to offer a little proportion to the issue of price I offer you an image of a newly produced (in China) LS Models HO scale DB Class 184 electric. This will set you back £199, but I assure you it is a thing of real beauty! Having owned a couple of LS locos in the past, I can testify to their quality. The prices being quoted for the EM1 and 2 compare well with those common to Roco models, an example of which can be seen in the second image.

http://www.candmmodels.co.uk/lsmodels/LS_16015.jpg

http://youraccount.ekmpowershop7.com/ekmps/shops/cmmodels/roco-62670-ns-type-1600-electric-no1601-966-p.asp

It's realistic to assume that the EMs will be comparable in overall quality to the Roco model.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium
...It's realistic to assume that the EMs will be comparable in overall quality to the Roco model...

Ah, but is it? At the risk of raising the 'Heljan hoary chestnut' *, while I might trust Bachmann to come up with a really good model to those standards, as they did with both DP1 Deltic and City of Truro, I don't have the same confidence in Heljan. That's not to say they aren't capable of doing a good job, but let's just say that the ups and downs of the quality and accuracy of their products doesn't fill me with confidence that we won't have another Class 14 on our hands - that is, a relatively expensive limited edition that while not in anyway bad, did have a few body design flaws and some problems with running quality. If the prices are going to start reaching towards the height of the good European product, I don't think it's necessarily wrong to expect that the quality should match too (limited edition or not).

* I don't particularly want to pick out Heljan here alone as other manufacturers have also made mistakes and all of them need our support, but they have got a record of inconsistency that they need to correct in future with well implemented, accurate models (for the UK outline market - I'm not familiar with their non-UK rolling stock products). I will always give them the benefit of doubt in the hope that their R&D will consistently get it right in the future and I'm prepared to put in a pre-order (as I would with any manufacturer's products), but I'm not putting money down beforehand and will want to see the product first before actually parting with cash.

£149 for the EM1 and £154 for the EM2..I dont think I like them that much.

Going at those prices that PB even in 6 car formation will be about £400+. Again not that interested at that price!

Hi

£400 would seem a lot at first glance, but, the only other route is via the old Triang model and a recently added up the cost of all the bits and bobs to make a decent BP from the Triang and that came to £329, and you still end up with coaches that are slightly too short and with a lot of work to do. I for one am looking forward to the BP.

Ian

... at those prices that BP even in 6 car formation will be about £400+. ...

That's twice I have read that estimate: Graham Hubbard quoted in Model Rail September 2007.

"To produce a Blue Pullman would need a radical change in the perception about the prices we are prepared to pay for models. You are looking at around £400 a set."

£149 for the EM1 and £154 for the EM2..I dont think I like them that much

Having said that, a nice R350 Triang EM2 finished on OzEbay a couple of days ago for $A275, which on todays exchange rate is about 150 quid!! The old triang models do seem to command a healthy price.

I imagine the problem for those contemplating a Woodhead layout is the number of locos. required, which would certainly boost the cost of stock at the quoted prices.

Cheers, Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

Having said that, a nice R350 Triang EM2 finished on OzEbay a couple of days ago for $A275, which on todays exchange rate is about 150 quid!! The old triang models do seem to command a healthy price.

I imagine the problem for those contemplating a Woodhead layout is the number of locos. required, which would certainly boost the cost of stock at the quoted prices.

Cheers, Peter C.

Hi

Personally I don't find the prices expensive. For the N gauge class 76s I have built the cost has been around £120 for the kit, chassis, pantographs plus odds and ends. I then have to assemble and paint them. Its all part of the fun but a bit tedious after the first couple (to date I have built eight of the twelve I require).

I will wait until there is something to see before parting with any deposit especially as these will be for display on shelf I want to be sure they are good enough.

Cheers

Paul

Another example may be found in the Autobiography of the Jet Engineer Stanley ######," Not Much of an Engineer", the Chinese were desperate to have a License to manufacture Rolls Royce Jet Engines, ostensibly for their Commercial Jets, but really for their Military purposes, instead of courting ###### for his help, their method of negotiation was to Insult and Humiliate.

Just to save anyone time who's as curious as me about what automatic nanny-bots regard as obscene, his surname is H-O-O-K-E-R.

It's amazing what the censor won't pass, isn't it? Any discussion of rugby union will look a bit daft...

Sorry for polluting the thread with irrelevancies - I keep popping back to see what the "huge" 3rd announcement is!

I cannot scan the advert as that would breach the magazine copyright

Don't know what Andy thinks but if I was an advertiser and you scanned my advert, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it lead to more orders!

Sorry for polluting the thread with irrelevancies - I keep popping back to see what the "huge" 3rd announcement is!

Presumably its the EM2 as well as EM1 and BP.

Is anyone going to be sending them a cheque for £60 per model then based on the info they give?

I do love their website, you can put whatever you want on the end of the links :D

http://www.oliviastrains.com/pages/1477/dodgytrainshere

Whilst I fully respect your choices and your right to make them based on cost, to offer a little proportion to the issue of price I offer you an image of a newly produced (in China) LS Models HO scale DB Class 184 electric. This will set you back £199, but I assure you it is a thing of real beauty! Having owned a couple of LS locos in the past, I can testify to their quality. The prices being quoted for the EM1 and 2 compare well with those common to Roco models, an example of which can be seen in the second image.

http://www.candmmodels.co.uk/lsmodels/LS_16015.jpg

http://youraccount.ekmpowershop7.com/ekmps/shops/cmmodels/roco-62670-ns-type-1600-electric-no1601-966-p.asp

It's realistic to assume that the EMs will be comparable in overall quality to the Roco model.

Dave.

The thing is that buying new rolling stock is becomeing a rich mans hobby to the point where I for one cannot justify spending such sums of money on just one model in most instances. Yes there are alot of wealthy people in this country who will think that those prices, or even more are ok, but there are many who are not that wealthy who do not.

I'm not bitching about the prices at all, I just really do not like the prototypes enough for those sums. For me to part with that much would have to be something I really want.

The thing is that buying new rolling stock is becomeing a rich mans hobby to the point where I for one cannot justify spending such sums of money on just one model. Yes there are alot of wealthy people in this country who will think that those prices, or even more are ok, but there are many who are not that wealthy who do not.

Dave can of course speak for himself, but I dont think he'd mind me saying he wouldnt describe himself as richwink.gif

The thing is that buying new rolling stock is becomeing a rich mans hobby to the point where I for one cannot justify spending such sums of money on just one model in most instances. Yes there are alot of wealthy people in this country who will think that those prices, or even more are ok, but there are many who are not that wealthy who do not.

I'm not bitching about the prices at all, I just really do not like the prototypes enough for those sums. For me to part with that much would have to be something I really want.

That's something the manufacturers and traders would be better at answering. Would they rather have a large pool of customers who occasionally buy their products, or a smaller number with a higher repeat rate...? In my view they seemingly try to get a fast return on any investment, so shorter product runs sell out more quickly and there's little chance of someone being able to find a release from as little as 1 or 2 years ago from anything but the secondhand market or shop selling at RRP and not managing to shift their stock. One way out of this doldrum is to model an exact prototype that had a small and unique roster, so you can't be tempted by all of these new releases.

I don't think £150 is too expensive for something like Bachmann's "CoT", but a little on the high side for a D&E model, even with two pantographs. It had better be worth it.

And what's an EM5...?

EM1 - Rare

EM2 - Very Rare

EM5 - Driver: Lord Lucan, Secondman: Osama Bin-Laden. Powered by Shergar

As an aside, i read an interesting theory that the reason for retailers commissioning models was to ensure them with an income source in what are likely to be difficult times. Rather than relying on 37's and 47's (hopefully) shifting, they were putting a lot of their eggs in one basket. Interesting times ahead.

• RMweb Premium

EM1 - Rare

EM2 - Very Rare

EM5 - Driver: Lord Lucan, Secondman: Osama Bin-Laden. Powered by Shergar

You forgot Elvis doing a live set in the back of the cab... ;)

Guest Max Stafford

Rich is possiably not the best choice of words, spare cash maybe? disposable income?

Disposable income is probably more like it, 605. That said, it's not exactly coming out my ears either and I tend to save for what I really want. I have no real requirement of any of these models, but if it were for example an NBL Type 2, a Thompson A2 or maybe a Scottish pre-group type, I'd certainly be putting my money down regardless of the £100 + price.

Regrettably, some items will always be out of reach through cost. I'd like to own an Alfa Spyder, but I accept that it's out of my price range and it's just not going to happen! That's just life I'm afraid. Sometimes, it's just the way your luck falls and I'm only in the position I am because I was lucky enough to land a job that pays a reasonable wage despite having no real skills. Prior to this I was lugging boxes into trucks for £90 a week at the age of 28!

Dave.

Archived