Freiwald Software (RR&Co) no longer available to UK buyers

RFS

but he also says;

•  For us, it is currently completely unclear under which (tax) conditions sales to UK are processed after Brexit.
  •  This also applies to sales that are carried out before the Brexit deadline. In the event of a possible reversal of the purchase, it can happen that the purchase is carried out before and the reversal after Brexit - the latter under conditions that are currently completely unclear to us.
  •  In a warranty case, the period between purchase and reversal can be far more than a year.
  •  For this reason, at the beginning of 2019 we decided to outsource our sales to an external partner with a clear safety margin before and after the possible Brexit appointment. That partner would then have to solve this problem for us. (At that time the Brexit deadline was at the end of March 2019).
  •  The shift in sales to an external partner has also had an impact on the prices for the delivery to UK (see section Effects on prices in the article above).
  •  According to the information published here, the different prices in case of delivery to different countries (see also cross-border delivery) do not constitute a violation of EU directives. Customers from different EU countries don't have to be able to buy at the same price if the place of delivery is not in the same country.

and elsewhere

Due to the new tax regulations, the price in the affected country changes as follows:

..139.00 USD: Standard price for non-German-speaking countries outside the EU
+..27.80 USD: 20% tax
+..16.68 USD: 10% costs for tax processing and commissions of the external partner (may vary)
-------------------
..183.48 USD: total price

The issue is really one of uncertainty and it seems to me that the proprietor of the software simply can't handle uncertainty.  Post-Brexit none of us know what international trading with the UK will look like.  Most businesses seem to adopt the approach of carrying on with business as usual and they will deal with problems when they arise (possibly making contingency plans now for what looks like being the most likely scenarios).  In this case, the approach seems to have been - I don't know how we will trade with the UK in the future and there could be problems if someone buys before Brexit and seeks a refund after Brexit, so '**** it, let's just stop trading with the UK now'.  I understand the attitude (frustration) at an individual level, but it doesn't make sense for a business to react this way.

The worst case scenario (in my opinion) is one where the Withdrawal Agreement Bill (WAB) is not ratified by the necessary parties and the UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020 under a 'no deal' scenario.  That therefore means that trade between the UK and the EU would immediately revert to World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms (ie on 1 February 2020) and I don't know what import tariff will apply to software sales imported into the UK.  That's only weeks away.  I think the proprietor's thinking and actions has always been driven by 'worst case scenarios'.

The next worst scenario is that the WAB is ratified by all parties prior to 31 January 2020, in which case the UK legally leaves the EU, but the UK remains in the EU Single Market for Goods and Services until 31 December 2020.  The same uncertainties as above apply, but of course the unknown tariff terms are further into the future.  A 'no deal' in terms of a legal framework will have been ruled out by the ratification of the WAB, but a 'no deal' in trade terms remains a risk.

The next worse scenario is one in which the WAB is ratified and we have an orderly (legal) departure on 31 January 2020 and then either the transition period (in which we remain part of the EU Single Market for Goods and Services) is extended or a comprehensive EU - UK trading agreement is reached before the 31 December 2020.  Which of these is 'better' depends on your views on Brexit.  However, at some point, hopefully things will become clearer.

However, I don't see anything inherently wrong with a company choosing to outsource sales of its software to a third party (so that they handle the problems that may arise) and it's obvious that in doing so, costs for prospective UK customers will rise.  That is one of the inherent consequences of Brexit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

When one considers the marginal cost of a piece of software the action of the developer seems more bloodymindedness than anything else.

...R

Herr Freiwald has shown on several occasions that he is not the most level headed "businessman"* around.

I can remember the rant against a German EU politician who proposed changes to the way VAT would be calculated on cross border sales.

In the end not much actually happened to affect Freiwald's sales.

* he comes across as someone who thinks rules & regulations and other people's politics are a personal attack on him.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Herr Freiwald has shown on several occasions that he is not the most level headed "businessman"* around.

I can remember the rant against a German EU politician who proposed changes to the way VAT would be calculated on cross border sales.

In the end not much actually happened to affect Freiwald's sales.

* he comes across as someone who thinks rules & regulations and other people's politics are a personal attack on him.

Well apart from the fact that to "compensate" himself for the extra work, all EU countries except Germany now pay an additional €10, which of course is strictly against EU rules. Plus remember his rant on his forum when Trump was elected, saying he would stop selling to anyone resident in those US states that had voted for him? 

The guy seems to have no business sense. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RFS said:

The guy seems to have no business sense. 

Whatever he does and whatever pricing/upgrade structure he has in place, it seems to work for him.

Is he a one man business/cottage industry. I would guess RR&Co has paid for itself many times over.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Whatever he does and whatever pricing/upgrade structure he has in place, it seems to work for him.

Is he a one man business/cottage industry. I would guess RR&Co has paid for itself many times over.

I suspect it is a one man business as on the Forum there is only one moderator - him, and only one technical support - him again.

There are others listed as "Beta Tester" and "Expert" but I don't think they directly connected.

It would be interesting to know what his recent sales figures have been like since the prices have increased by somewhat more than any extra features added.

We will never know as he is extremely cagey about anything business wise, even the most innocent question will elicit a frosty reply if he considers it is anything to do with the business.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Someone in the USA just tried to order from the USA option and got this:

image.png.7756befec951dbc4681b7af7be706bb7.png

Someone taking the p*ss?

:jester:

Herr Freiwald didn't spot what was wrong when a question was asked and a replier pointed out (in German) to H. Freiwald what was going on:D

On 23/01/2020 at 17:52, ahellary said:

it looks like the uk can now purchase again im not sure what happened i just went on the rr & co forum and just for curiosity looked in the shop and the uk is back

Presumably because he’s realized the UK ( effectively ) remains in the single market till end of 2020 

Edited by Junctionmad

15 hours ago, melmerby said:

Herr Freiwald has now got it!

He's blaming autocorrection following a software update!

EDIT Now says "USA"

And of course everyone believes this explanation - have you ever seen an auto-correct change words that are correctly spelled before doing a check, or even changing states into swamps?

Nope? Me neither. ;)

• Agree 1

another reason could be there there are a fair number of users in the uk and to be honest the current users of any product tend to be the best sales people ... thats why big software companys have reference sites  to take potential victims ...um i mean customers to see

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, ahellary said:

another reason could be there there are a fair number of users in the uk and to be honest the current users of any product tend to be the best sales people ... thats why big software companys have reference sites  to take potential victims ...um i mean customers to see

Unfortunately in my dealings with him (admittedly a few years ago now) he viewed anyone demoing the software (we had several licenses and were discussing it with layout viewers) almost as an enemy, he tried to charge us (WFRM) extra for daring to show off his software (an additional demo license he called it). I know of several people who bought it based on my recommendations but all I got from him was hassle, not even a thanks, so I changed my story and advice, we were committed to it but new comers to computer control weren't ...

Edited by beast66606
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, nigeltaylor said:

Why not try 'iTrain' instead.  I have been using it for years.  Does everything that Feiwald offering do and at less money.  Works perfectly through my Digikeijs 5000 controller.

What's more the creators are Dutch not German and can't be more helpful.

Not quite true.

TC Gold is more versatile that the top iTrain version but whether you could/would use the extra functionability is another matter.

As for the DR5000, the less said the better.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Am I right in thinking RR&Co has no Linux version, but iTrain does?

No idea, I only use Windows, others will know.

As to Nigel's suggestion of going to iTrain:

Why, when you have already spent the money on TrainController?

It's not as if it was cheap (Gold).

If you only had Bronze, maybe?

47 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Am I right in thinking RR&Co has no Linux version, but iTrain does?

You are correct, iTrain is available in Mac, Windows and Linux versions - people even run it on a Raspberry Pi :)

Whereas RR&Co is only available to run on Windows.

• Thanks 1