Please add numbers to replies

At the moment there is no convenient way (at least I can't see it) to refer to a specific Reply within a Thread. It would be a great help if the number of each Reply could be shown so that one could refer to a comment in an earlier Reply with something like "as XXX said in Reply#NN ..."

I thought that the Reply number used to be shown in this Forum - but my recollection may be faulty.

...R

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

I thought that the Reply number used to be shown in this Forum - but my recollection may be faulty.

...R

It certainly did, up until the last redo of the site.

• Agree 2

@Robin2If you hover the mouse over the time of post (immediately right of the poster's name), the browser will show you the number of the post. In my browser (Firefox), it shows on the bottom left of the screen. Kylestrome's is number 3782769.

Cheers,

Philip

2 hours ago, Philou said:

@Robin2If you hover the mouse over the time of post (immediately right of the poster's name), the browser will show you the number of the post. In my browser (Firefox), it shows on the bottom left of the screen. Kylestrome's is number 3782769.

That's not the sort of thing I want - not a big number like 3782769 but a small number - this happens to be Reply #4 in this Thread.

And the numbers need to be visible without hovering or equivalent for people to be able to see them easily when scrolling up or down through a Thread.

If you are not familiar with the sort of thing I have in mind have a look at any Thread in the Arduino Forum

...R

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

While post numbers were convenient, clicking on the "Share this post" icon and then copy/paste the URL will link straight to a specific post.

I can't see a "share this post" icon.

However I don't think a link would be as convenient as the Reply number because you have to click the link - you can't just scroll up the page.

...R

• Agree 1

• Moderators

I've explained before that a post number within the topic is useless if any content has been removed or topics merged/split. Just use the share icon to give a direct link to a post - that will then embed a preview of the linked post.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

I can't see a "share this post" icon.

However I don't think a link would be as convenient as the Reply number because you have to click the link - you can't just scroll up the page.

...R

It doesn't show up very well in my browser unitl I hover over it but it's in the top right corner of the post 'window'

image.png

Edited by spamcan61

17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've explained before that a post number within the topic is useless if any content has been removed or topics merged/split. Just use the share icon to give a direct link to a post - that will then embed a preview of the linked post.

Sorry, I missed this when I posted my previous Reply.

I understand that the numbers will change if a Reply is moved but in my experience that does not happen very often and I (am I the only one?) like the convenience of being able to refer to (eg) Reply #4 for things which don't justify cluttering the Thread with repetitious text.

If it is just a matter of ticking a box to turn the reply numbering feature on perhaps you would be kind enough to give us the option of using the numbers.

...R

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

will be interested to know if people other people find that a satisfactory substitute for a visible number

It's not whether it's satisfactory or not, it's the way the software does it now. I'm not going to spend unnecessary time making a penny farthing out of a mountain bike.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

If it is just a matter of ticking a box to turn the reply numbering feature on perhaps you would be kind enough to give us the option

Sorry, it's far from straightforward.

14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sorry, it's far from straightforward.

That's fair enough, even if disappointing news.

I was sure that your earlier Reply "It's not whether it's satisfactory or not" did not really mean that you did not care for your customers :)

Another idea that might fill the gap ...

If i hover my mouse over the text "Posted xxxx" it shows the date and time of the Post. Maybe it would be possible to make that appear without the need to hover and then I could refer, for example, to @AY Mod's  Reply at 20:02

No - that won't work with different time zones - <expletive deleted>

...R

Edited by Robin2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

I was sure that your earlier Reply "It's not whether it's satisfactory or not" did not really mean that you did not care for your customers

Similarly I am sure that your earlier invitation to post comments of dissatisfaction with how the system operates did not mean you expect someone to carry out unnecessary work over a holiday period. :)

25 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Similarly I am sure that your earlier invitation to post comments of dissatisfaction with how the system operates did not mean you expect someone to carry out unnecessary work over a holiday period. :)

Of course not.

I am retired so I am not all that conscious of public holidays :)

In fact I would not expect any work on the Forum to be necessary over a holiday period. I am not religious, but it was rather nice when there actually was a rest day in every week.

...R

Edited by Robin2
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

In fact I would not expect any work on the Forum to be necessary over a holiday period

Apart from sorting out a few server performance issues, deal with some people who felt that their freedom of speech had been trampled upon despite them being unable to work within directions plus prepare voting for awards and get Hornby's announcements for next prepared we haven't had to do anything over the holiday.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Apart from sorting out a few server performance issues, deal with some people who felt that their freedom of speech had been trampled upon despite them being unable to work within directions plus prepare voting for awards and get Hornby's announcements for next prepared we haven't had to do anything over the holiday.

Yeah, but you get to play trains for a living ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Robin2 said:

At the moment there is no convenient way (at least I can't see it) to refer to a specific Reply within a Thread. It would be a great help if the number of each Reply could be shown so that one could refer to a comment in an earlier Reply with something like "as XXX said in Reply#NN ..."

...R

I agree with you Robin2 - I prefer Post #, not a link to further up the page/thread.  Something I am used too on other forii.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

26 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Sometimes, that doesn't seem nearly as good as it sounds. Says that man who finished the latest project about half an hour ago...

Oh the glamour.

What a way to end the decade.

So says the man watching his drunk wife and number two child playing bowling on an old Wii, but I have had three double gins this evening.

• Friendly/supportive 3

13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Apart from sorting out a few server performance issues, ...

Nobody would have died if none of that had been done.

Just like it would be perfectly feasible for all shops to stay shut on Sundays (or pick whatever day of the week that you prefer).

...R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy explained why post numbers can cause confusion and especially on mobile a direct link is so much easier that searching back through the pages one at a time. All it takes is the person referencing the post to link it for one click for everyone else or by post number everyone has to scroll back searching for it! Ultimately they had to go and check the post number so why not save everyone else the effort and paste the link already provided? ;) 

Save the planet, tap less keys, friction's adding to global warming you know :diablo_mini:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Ultimately they had to go and check the post number so why not save everyone else the effort and paste the link already provided? ;) 

"Now, let's see, he's mentioned post #377, and we're currently on #512. How many pages back must I go?"

14 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Sometimes, that doesn't seem nearly as good as it sounds. Says that man who finished the latest project about half an hour ago...

I can well believe that.

I like spending time in the layout room & going to exhibitions. It is a nice escape from work.

Would I feel the same if I had to spend 40 hours each week (+ lots more, especially when there is a show on), making things I didn't really want & having to meet deadlines?

Probably not.

• Agree 2