Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Had another batch of 3D prints yesterday, here's the latest version of the base for the Chinese pan fitted to the frames from the 2020s pan

DSC_0069.JPG.d2a5712cb28ada2dc9eba4e1542a64f1.JPG

I've put a lot more work into the front pan lift air motor, there's more detail than Hornby got into theirs. The rear legs of the frame are now in a straight line right up to the insulator too. 

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2023 at 08:30, Pete the Elaner said:

The base looks good, but I feel that the worst part of the pan is its contact arms. It looks like an imitation of Hornby's original, which looked nothing like anything prototypical.

Apologies for the quality, but it is a scan of an old photo, but it shows what a Faiveley pan really looks like. I don't expect total accuracy but Hornby's effort is poor.

i86238an01_pan.jpg

Actually it  is correct for the  2-stage Pan. A least for the Test.

APT pantograph B King.jpg (1568×1076) (traintesting.com)

Cheers Trailrage

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Seems R30229 and R30104 have arrived into stock? Does anybody know what the "upgrades" are on these 2023 releases of the APT sets vs. the 2020* versions?  Looks like they have magnetic couplings now based on the images / datasheet on the Hornby website for the non driving power car to the FV3 trailer.  The not-so-super-duper 10ft long capacitors seem to be missing** from the coach interiors. Obvs, the images are are not necessarily accurate, so hence the query here.

*= or was it 2021? - My brain is not letting me remember the detail of those years

**= hopefully hidden!

Thanks in advance!

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-class-370-advanced-passenger-train-sets-370001-and-370002-7-car-train-pack-era-7-r30229?

Datasheet: https://support.Hornby.com/hc/article_attachments/5620154591890/HSS-456B-Class-370-APT-NDM-DTS.pdf

image.png.c277660ee5d98a525f2e661420bb9b6a.pngimage.png.83c03e79c5031eb336fa88ead7f8e3fc.png

Edited by palmsticks

I am certainly tempted to get another APT set. I bought the 5 car set when it came out. However, I don't know if I can really justify another. I never got to see the APT growing up and the first I ever saw was when a mate brought a Hornby catalogue to school in New Zealand in around 1984. I was blown away. I do hope to see it one day in RL.

9 hours ago, palmsticks said:

Looks like they have magnetic couplings now based on the images / datasheet on the Hornby website for the non driving power car to the FV3 trailer.

Interesting. I wonder if these will come up as spares for purchase for earlier models. (Yes, I'm aware that Hunt couplings exist, but they also bind on 2nd/3rd radius curves on this model).

9 hours ago, palmsticks said:

The not-so-super-duper 10ft long capacitors seem to be missing** from the coach interiors. Obvs, the images are are not necessarily accurate, so hence the query here.

Capacitors were always hidden in the DTS and TBF vehicles, it was the TS/TU/TRSB/TF that had them in view.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The best thing is having it right from the first time.

The second best is learning from your mistakes, listen to customers/users and improve the product accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not very nice for the retailers who helped out Hornby last year by taking on - at reduced price - umpteen surplus APT additional vehicle packs. out of Hornby's inventory stockpile.

Not exactly great for original buyers either. Lightweight NDMs and visible capacitors shouldn't have happened in the first release, admittedly strengthening panto mounts or changing magnetic couplings may have been learned once the original batch was released.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Class 91

No Class 91 on the HM DCC app yet.. only electric is the Class 73 :(

well, it'll be better than "chuff chuff chuff".

I hope.

• Funny 2

Alright, I  have one of the first batch of the 5 car sets of the APT released. I have hardly ever run it.  Today, I pulled it out of the box for a test. It was great for the first minute, then all of a sudden it slows to a crawl. Anybody have any idea why before I pull it apart?

I had a new NDM on pre-order with TMC. I hope it will run better.

• RMweb Premium

Surely Hornby missed a perfect opportunity to make this even more accurate by using the dummy buckeye location for where the actual coupling goes? It’s not like it has to couple up to other stock that’s not APT stock. And if they made the slot wider you wouldn’t notice it either.

IMG_2956.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Surely Hornby missed a perfect opportunity to make this even more accurate by using the dummy buckeye location for where the actual coupling goes? It’s not like it has to couple up to other stock that’s not APT stock. And if they made the slot wider you wouldn’t notice it either.

IMG_2956.jpeg

Maybe, but the current change is only to a screwed coupling. Your proposal would mean a mod to the chassis, body and bogie maybe. One for next new tooling!

19 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

IMG_2956.jpeg

Do you mean something like this

This power car has been repowered using Heljan bogies & chassis made from brass bars.

Like the retooled APT the chassis is not connected to the body and the body tilts around the chassis.

aptkd.png.4f376276c3aab4f90eeefdf93ae619fd.png

John

• Craftsmanship/clever 1