Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

35 minutes ago, melmerby said:

When my first step came off there was very little glue on it and the step had a distinct lug that located in a similar shaped depression under the footplate.

Ah, yes, that is was what I suspected, my point was that the lug had sufficient area to allow a reasonable bond.

My hands and eyes mean that I only had a bit of a feel around the area and a friend did the actual fitting.  The lug felt very shallow, and I wasn't sure. Sorry to have given the impression both surfaces were flat.

Mea culpa.   It, and the set screw thing on the rear coupling rod,  was a success though and meant that the model didn't have to go back.

How better can one spend an afternoon than messing around with a camera?    :)

My layout, from which many and various abrogations of reality emerge.

IMG_1031a_5736ab_r2080a.jpg.d29eec8fb042032ca7bedf750489b65b.jpg

Like this...

Img_1128a_r2080ab.jpg.183e1f94b3b61b3c1bfbbec45522a54c.jpg

interesting to note the subtle body changes around the cylinders, I think BR 60700 may have to be purchased as well....

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2022 at 20:48, robmcg said:

I noticed when putting my broken-repaired R3840 back in its plastic shroud yesterday that there is a distinct 'double click' location effect... that is, it looks like it's in place but the steps and general fit don't feel quite snug or 'right', than if nudged it clicks into place snugly with everything secure and no pressure on the top front area.

This extra 'click' into place suggests to me that it would be easy for a factory worker to think it's in place, snap the housing closed, and 'squash the front upper body and possibly the steps against tthe lower housing. 

Clearly it is easy for the engine to look as if it is shug and home in the shroud when it isn't quite.

Saw a comment on U-tube video that Hornby are offering replacement body shells. I know that you had a glue repair done but perhaps better if you get in touch with Hornby Service Dept and get another one sent out to you

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would like to update everyone on my situation for returning my broken W1, since buying direct from Hornby. After a month (though there were holidays during that) and many emails, Hornby scheduled DHL to pick up my W1, as I'm overseas. It made it back to Hornby last Friday, and I am now waiting on Hornby repair team to email me on any status updates. This was an email sent to me on Sunday. I was promised a new R3840 (or at least a Frankenstein one with a non-broken shell).

But I will say, their customer service has been lack luster. Their employees just look at the previous email and send a response that seems right. I was told my W1 would be returned and refunded, when I had multiple conversations saying it will be fixed. Again, I don't know how you fix broken shells without a repaint and lots of work, besides swapping shells. 

As others have stated, the rebuilt W1's are processing direct from Hornby.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The W1 is reviewed in this months Hornby Mag .  This is a perfect example of why Mag reviews are discredited compared to YouTube . Not a mention of cracked deflectors , tender tops , tender connections on the wrong way , steps protruding possibly causing issues with platforms . All things you’d pick up from YouTube but not a mention in the Mag . Oh it might be that these issues were not known about at time of printing . Well this issue contains details of Hornby 2022 . When was that 16th Dec? These issues were known about then . It goes further and says an excellent model that’s already selling out .   Economical with the truth I think .  I’d certainly want to know about these issues and it’s not mentioned . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

The W1 is reviewed in this months Hornby Mag .  This is a perfect example of why Mag reviews are discredited compared to YouTube . Not a mention of cracked deflectors , tender tops , tender connections on the wrong way , steps protruding possibly causing issues with platforms . All things you’d pick up from YouTube but not a mention in the Mag . Oh it might be that these issues were not known about at time of printing . Well this issue contains details of Hornby 2022 . When was that 16th Dec? These issues were known about then . It goes further and says an excellent model that’s already selling out .   Economical with the truth I think .  I’d certainly want yo know about these issues and it’s not mentioned . 

Magazines can only review the mode in front of them - maybe there was no problem with the model. 

plus, magazines know about the Hornby announcements in advance so they can print the news in the Jan issues of their mags. So it is quite possible that the issues with the W1 weren’t known at the time of printing 

A couple more pics of R384t and R3843 for any who are thinking of buying these models.

I shall be photographing a borrowed BR early crest green R3844 this weekend, I look forward to that, we can discuss Hornby green. :)

Img_1102ab_r2080a.jpg.4be1e1f1d76d2d344865e7cd2ce1e67f.jpg

Img_1127abc_r2080a.jpg.b7ab036e692c686847f5ffb6464170b4.jpg

I like the treatment of the rebuilt version's lower cylinder sides, turned in a bit as per the prototype.  There probably ought to be front guard irons if one was to be picky, maybe they are in the detail pack, I didn't check. Overall superb and both engine ran smoothly and well straight from the pack.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, robmcg said:

I shall be photographing a borrowed BR early crest green R3844 this weekend, I look forward to that, we can discuss Hornby green. :)

Hi Rob,

Mine 60700 arrives tomorrow I informed by Hornby. Looking forward to comparing it with my Hornby 60026. Your two version of the W1 just look wonderful. One wonders what would have been next had Gresley lived a further 5 years. The high boiler pressure A4 and/or a 4-6-4 based on the rebuilt W1 or perhaps something more exotic and with a little French influence like a 4-8-2?

Kind regards,

Richard B

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi Rob,

Mine 60700 arrives tomorrow I informed by Hornby. Looking forward to comparing it with my Hornby 60026. Your two version of the W1 just look wonderful. One wonders what would have been next had Gresley lived a further 5 years. The high boiler pressure A4 and/or a 4-6-4 based on the rebuilt W1 or perhaps something more exotic and with a little French influence like a 4-8-2?

Kind regards,

Richard B

If Gresley had continued the development of either the P2 or W1 I'm sure we would have had engines which would make Stanier look twice.

The W1 was after all the most powerful express engine in Britain at over 41,000lbs t.e. and was able to haul 700 ton trains at express speeds, no doubt depending to some degree on the fitness of the fireman, and I think for high speed efficiency an A4 might just have edged it. For acceleration and medium speeds and heavy loads the W1 may have had the edge. Always depending on variables like engine condition, crew, coal, weather, permanent way slacks, signal stops, and so on :)  

Nodody mention Princess Coronations. 

I will be photographing a BR W1 tomorrow, I hope.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, robmcg said:

My brother has received his R3844 60700 yesterday and just sent a photo, I removed the background and got this. I think it's lovely.

Hi Rob,

Mine arrived this morning so I took a few snapshots (your brother's loco has had the accessory pack fitted and its a great picture - unlike my loco) of it alongside 60026.

I think the BR Green is still too yellow. I have weathered 60026 but its base colour is more blue. The image does show how much larger the W1 firebox was compared to the A4.

IMG_7038.JPG.d4a3455108ae573d8649ae1b7147e93d.JPG

I don't think the crew section of the tender was painted green either - it was black I think? Alternative trailing wheels etc in the "goody bag"

IMG_7041.JPG.e99e13337beb9e6e23a6ea0b9b6e3399.JPG

Weathering on "Miles" not complete.

IMG_7039.JPG.6e4abd55b0663f6a0512dd69be4615c8.JPG

Despite my observations 60700 is a rather wonderful model. I guess some weathering will help the appearance of the BR Green as others have done with their Thompson A2s.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I picked up 60700 this afternoon from Monk Bar Models in York; overall I'm very impressed.  On mine, there is absolutely no damage, or 'quality control' issues that I can detect, and it runs very smoothly straight from the box.

From my point of view, I have to say I'm very happy with the shade of BR Green on this model; it's far better than the Thompson Pacifics.  It is slightly 'matt' but that seems to be normal; a quick coat of 'Klear' or similar will probably give it greater 'depth'.

Just a few observations; hopefully these don't come across as too negative!  There is an NEM socket on the front of the bogie (and a coupling in the bag); I know some people want his, but I foresee a few minutes work with a piercing saw on mine.  I was a bit surprised that there is no brake rigging provided for the tender (no reference to it in the instructions, or provision to fit it - it isn't just an oversight with my example), but in reality the tender brake rigging isn't very obvious.  As with the Hush Hush version, it seems impossible to couple the drawbar in the 'short' position but again, a few minutes work should fix that.  And as with the Hush Hush version, converting the rear carrying axles to a bogie (or similar) so that flanged wheels can be used looks as though it would be difficult, and even if I could, I'm not sure it would then be able to run on my layout.

Here are a few quick pictures of it on my layout.  The lighting isn't too brilliant in there on a winter's afternoon.  They were taken with my new phone's camera; I seem to be having difficulty getting the whole object in focus!

IMG_4402.jpeg.266342af4b5f8e1c2710419cc22e7c14.jpeg

IMG_4403.jpeg.3d2778b2fb6fcbd757176fef03335230.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg.4a1dca7d4d976012087a1374b13ceae6.jpeg

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, 31A said:

I picked up 60700 this afternoon from Monk Bar Models in York; overall I'm very impressed.  On mine, there is absolutely no damage, or 'quality control' issues that I can detect, and it runs very smoothly straight from the box.

From my point of view, I have to say I'm very happy with the shade of BR Green on this model; it's far better than the Thompson Pacifics.  It is slightly 'matt' but that seems to be normal; a quick coat of 'Klear' or similar will probably give it greater 'depth'.

Just a few observations; hopefully these don't come across as too negative!  There is an NEM socket on the front of the bogie (and a coupling in the bag); I know some people want his, but I foresee a few minutes work with a piercing saw on mine.  I was a bit surprised that there is no brake rigging provided for the tender (no reference to it in the instructions, or provision to fit it - it isn't just an oversight with my example), but in reality the tender brake rigging isn't very obvious.  As with the Hush Hush version, it seems impossible to couple the drawbar in the 'short' position but again, a few minutes work should fix that.  And as with the Hush Hush version, converting the rear carrying axles to a bogie (or similar) so that flanged wheels can be used looks as though it would be difficult, and even if I could, I'm not sure it would then be able to run on my layout.

Here are a few quick pictures of it on my layout.  The lighting isn't too brilliant in there on a winter's afternoon.  They were taken with my new phone's camera; I seem to be having difficulty getting the whole object in focus!

IMG_4402.jpeg.266342af4b5f8e1c2710419cc22e7c14.jpeg

IMG_4403.jpeg.3d2778b2fb6fcbd757176fef03335230.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg.4a1dca7d4d976012087a1374b13ceae6.jpeg

The tender brake rigging is already fitted no? The front nem socket on the original version just lifted out, I'd imagine the rebuilt one is the same?

Edited by Ade the Pianist 4468

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ade the Pianist 4468 said:

The tender brake rigging is already fitted no? The front nem socket on the original version just lifted out, I'd imagine the rebuilt one is the same?

Yes, since I typed that I have looked at it again and now realise that the NEM coupling fitting on the bogie is in fact a plastic fish-tailed socket like the one on the tender, and as such can be prised out.  I don't think I've ever seen that on a loco's bogie before and I was assuming that it was integral with it, as per ones I've sawn off in the past!  So full marks on that score.  Also, the coupling on the tender is (for the first time I think) set a sensible distance out, so I won't have to shorten it to avoid a long gap between it and the coaches!

You are also quite right about the brake rigging, the pull rods that connect the brake hangers are correctly moulded as part of them, as per the other Hornby LNER 8 wheeled tenders.  I was expecting there to be a separate piece with the yokes etc., as you get with other kinds of tender!

• RMweb Premium

This morning I added the extra bits from the bag, and tried to take some better pictures, in better light.

The cylinder drains provided are the 'long' type which in reality were clipped to the front guard irons, which were removed at some stage in the 1950s, so I've cut mine back to the length that appears in the 1955 photo in the RCTS Green Book.  They don't cause any running problems on my layout.  Later, they seem to have been cut back further still so I presume the 'short' version referred to in the instructions will be supplied with the 'late crest' model.  The vacuum pipe for the tender back is the 'low' type usually found on corridor tenders; I think the 8 wheeled non corridor tenders usually had the 'high' type, although I've not found any pictures that show the back of 60700's tender.  I will change it if I can find out that it's wrong.

The cab doors are extremely fragile!  It's a pity they seem to have gone back to the pattern of the A3s and A4s, rather than the more robust arrangement of the Thompson Pacifics.

I don't think I'll be able to fit flanged rear carrying wheels!

I've shortened the tender draw bar by finding a brass washer that would pass over the pivot screw, soldering it over the inner loop of the draw bar and cutting away the outer loop.  It goes round the curves on my layout easily.

I took a couple more pictures, in better light - the room blinds opened to let in what little daylight there is, and with the room lights on (warm white long life bulbs).  Nevertheless I don't think the I Phone's camera has really brought out the correct colours.  With the naked eye, I can see why @30368 says it has a yellow cast to it.  The lining appears to be too yellow in my pictures; in reality it is quite a decent shade of orange.

IMG_4410.jpeg.48f4276f942fb7ec52560f4129224550.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg.0ab6e6051f261a3c0fd4881f8f8149fc.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

IMHO that’s the best Hornby BR green I’ve seen for a very long time and it makes such a difference making for an appealing model of 60700 . No qualms about ordering,which I have also done via MonkBar. Many thanks,Steve aka 31A.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Acknowledging photos
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Having seen the pictures others have posted, I decided a Garter Blue one would be nice, so have Just bought the last R3843 from TMC to go with my R3841 (also from TMC)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

IMHO that’s the best Hornby BR green I’ve seen for a very long time and it makes such a difference making for an appealing model of 60700 . No qualms about ordering,which I have also done via MonkBar. Many thanks,Steve aka 31A.

I agree the model is a very fine one, and here's a photo of my brother's recently acquired version, taken yesterday evening in summer light with a touch of reading-lamp light,

IMG_1158abc_r2080a.jpg.50a3f105d2a577b0e17999dd3c0eef37.jpg

• Like 7

Miracles do happen. Yesterday I received a second R3840 original W1 model, this one purchased from Olivias in mid December when some dealers were receiving faulty stock.

It cost a slight premium over RRP but was less than Ebay. And VAT was removed, so not bad.

When I saw the packet I was a bit worried, no padding of any kind, just and extra cardboard layer over the Hornby box.

But it survived the 1 month 18,000km journey undamaged.  Sorry I didn't take a quick photo of it in its shroud, but thought I might re-sell it sometime as un-opened. Visually there was nothing wrong or loose, and no rattles. 

Luck? 

IMG_1033ab_2080a.jpg.6194a1a403f40e29b887245942132d15.jpg

Edited by robmcg
typos
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

An expensive week, but two super smooth running models.  Not a lot of difference in the two paint finishes either.

51822000078_d311e6837d_5k.jpg

Hornby 60700 and Bachmann 60964

I hadn't realised 60964 was available,  that's the one I have been waiting for and your photo of it alongside 60700 is an invaluable thing, given the radical differences between blue box and red box manifestations  of that elusive thing 'BR Brunswick Green'.

Are we not spoiled?

Here is another angle on my brother's 60700

Img_1165abcdef_r2080ab.jpg.2bbeb9dea360f01c1a19e40e9e92efd3.jpg

• Like 11