Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Much less fine detail as it was IIRC part of the Design (not so) Clever era.

It was also only ever really a Railroad model with a "super" version.

Bit of a half way house between basic and super detailed models

As I recall, the super version had improved lining, tender pickups and a TTS decoder. I dumped the decoder and got another. The motor was hopeless and I replaced that too.

12 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I was just thinking this very same thing!!

What is causing the fracturing of the 'smoke deflectors'?

Al.

I was pondering the same thing

Is it possible that when the plastic flows into the mould ( from 2 or more sprues ) it will join along a line & this " flow joint" may be a week point

The drawing might make help explain what i mean

This might explain why the breaks are in about the same place

bulkhead.png.d80ca0ac880145eac153529ff51479cb.png

John

Interesting thinking John.

Perhaps even a temperature / condition issue at the moulding stage then creating the weak point during the moulding process?

I've seen paint finishes affected by packaging, but not a body destroyed whilst correctly positioned in an 'ice cube'.

I have had damaged locomotives, but this has been through the seller incorrectly positioning into the ice cube, then closing it onto the body ... another story!!

Al.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, John ks said:

I was pondering the same thing

Is it possible that when the plastic flows into the mould ( from 2 or more sprues ) it will join along a line & this " flow joint" may be a week point

The drawing might make help explain what i mean

This might explain why the breaks are in about the same place

bulkhead.png.d80ca0ac880145eac153529ff51479cb.png

John

The picture above is a traditional shape, for a tender body etc.

The W1 boiler shape is a 2 piece mould, split straight along the top, making two sides, firebox/boiler/deflector left and right, with a separate smokebox/chimney (single/double) front end and cab.

There is a picture of the sprues on another site from a year plus back at EP stage.

I think its just straight forwards blunt end trama at a weakest point… they arent packaged to survive the kind of handling that should be expected from a local distribution network.

I’m a bit late to the W1 party, combination of travel / work and covid but its arrived today, my retailer took no chances and no expense spared on the packaging…

357B7759-FAB9-4742-905A-90DCA58AFD5C.jpeg.e4bd4ba2f65c5aec06e15f4321451aac.jpeg

8ACE9E63-1BB7-4A15-BE7C-A1B950986A9F.jpeg.cb8915d7bf5ad7982323685c9fd4e85c.jpeg

598F8F16-AEB1-40D5-BCE8-C7FB3EAB0FC9.jpeg.a29f420929a662d1840ea0313d23e39f.jpeg
you can see the steps are out of gauge here… protruding beyond the cylinders..

2D41CF5E-CCCA-40FA-9057-92FA859B6A1C.jpeg.4f50d7a42016e8852b44d3eaf1a4f9b8.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Interesting thinking John.

Perhaps even a temperature / condition issue at the moulding stage then creating the weak point during the moulding process?

I've seen paint finishes affected by packaging, but not a body destroyed whilst correctly positioned in an 'ice cube'.

I have had damaged locomotives, but this has been through the seller incorrectly positioning into the ice cube, then closing it onto the body ... another story!!

Al.

Ive seen plenty of locos destroy themselves in the mail.

Its not a unique issue to Hornby or the W1.

Take a look at Heljans 47xx for example.. many arrived in several pieces.

my wifes bought all kinds of delicate glass / dinnerware which is far more fragile and makes the journey.

Imo its down to how it went through local logistics, and if its suitably wrapped for that last mile journey, in this case it just looks like it moves in its packaging, as a result of trauma in the outer packaging.

Edited by adb968008

21 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

I noticed when putting my broken-repaired R3840 back in its plastic shroud yesterday that there is a distinct 'double click' location effect... that is, it looks like it's in place but the steps and general fit don't feel quite snug or 'right', than if nudged it clicks into place snugly with everything secure and no pressure on the top front area.

This extra 'click' into place suggests to me that it would be easy for a factory worker to think it's in place, snap the housing closed, and 'squash the front upper body and possibly the steps against tthe lower housing. 

Clearly it is easy for the engine to look as if it is shug and home in the shroud when it isn't quite.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

Could it be the shape of the plastic box bearing down on top of the smoke deflectors…?

see yellow highlights where the cradle can touch the smoke deflectors..

BCFBB4D7-C379-4EC9-B4AC-7297AC291894.jpeg.29e5630d632f7aa9237c1cc6dfb88380.jpeg

E2B890E1-3407-47AF-9922-FE7E525B1CDF.jpeg.921decf9c839c8e8e431f41f0edec631.jpeg

3C6D36B1-F62C-48F1-984B-632D45BD833E.jpeg.748842fedcff17245f6fdf8b789d3c7a.jpeg6E19DA2A-E2D6-4BCE-9676-ED15E2A41F76.jpeg.5e19ae80268d6610c223c383baeb400d.jpeg

F73F561C-66E3-4B6F-9602-7DA017796068.jpeg.62324e9731f6cb0f8c912246ee468e56.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Clearly an art-form, product packaging.

Moving on somewhat to other W1 models I see that the R3843 LNER W1 and R3844 BR 60700 are now arriving in the Antipodes at least, and the BR versions looks to my eye to possible have a better 'turn-under' to lower cylinder casing than earlier conventional A4s by Hornby.

Or am I just imagining it?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/513700/hornby_r3844_rebuilt_class_w1_hush_hush_4_6_4_60700_in_br_green_with_early_emblem_sold_out_o/stockdetail

Edited by robmcg
correction

Aren't there other ice-cubes with softer rubberised material lining them in critical positions?

Also, didn't it come covered in that thin plastic/rubber type film?

Rebuilt's just around the corner. 

I had to recheck which I had re-ordered.  The first out is 'early crest', later on is 'late crest', due mid-year.

I had ordered the grey single chimney original, as seen, and the original rebuilt coming out 'now', but these were with Hatton's - we know the story there ... 

My re-order is with a Hornby-recognised outlet, now a double chimney grey and a late crest rebuilt - both are fascinating.

Let's hope they get the steps better-sorted and packaging improved for the second sets - apologies those who've suffered with the originals.

Al.

Has @micklner stopped cheering yet? LNER W1 with smokebox cowl and post-war garter-blue British Railways versions both added to the catalogue for 2022!

So that's four versions just of the grey 10000: as built, fictional nameplates, double chimney and w/ chimney cowl. Can't be many other single locos besides Flying Scotsman produced in so many small variations. 

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

Has @micklner stopped cheering yet? LNER W1 with smokebox cowl and post-war garter-blue British Railways versions both added to the catalogue for 2022!

So that's four versions just of the grey 10000: as built, fictional nameplates, double chimney and w/ chimney cowl. Can't be many other single locos besides Flying Scotsman produced in so many small variations. 

And the RRP price has jumped to £254-99 - so could well be more than that by the time in lands :cry:

I guess Hornby have to pay for all those broken bodyshells somehow....

• Agree 1

No cheering from me !! . :scratchhead:

They still have another two versions they can do , Wartime Black  without valances and Post war LNER with Chrome cut out letters and Numbers , far more attractive and long lived than the Double chimney cowling effort at £260 plus (no chance) and the  bland British Railways version announced today .

• Agree 3

Nice to see the BR blue 60700 without valances for Oct 2022,  but as Micklner points out the LNER with chrome numbers would be very nice.

I'm still amazed, and pleased,  that Hornby made this model at all.

I just recieved a R3841 'British Enterprise'.  I can't find the missing set screw for the coupling rod in the packaging, and as far I know I can't just steal one from any other Hornby model, they tend to vary.

It may have to go back to the retailer,(who have been very good)

Img_1085a_r1280.jpg.23d463aa5b9854e7e9a7c193e86abbb8.jpg

The model is perfect in every other way, well, a step was loose in the pack,  talk about a pennyworth of tar! Maybe I should ask Hornby if they would post a set screw to NZ?

So that's two failures from two with this model for me. I have a third lost in the mail system somewhere in the UK, tracked in theory and delivered by Royal Mail to international partner, who have not after 25 days scanned it.

Here's a lot to be said for buying in person at a reail store and viewing the model. 

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 5

51 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Nice to see the BR blue 60700 without valances for Oct 2022,  but as Micklner points out the LNER with chrome numbers would be very nice.

I just recieved a R3841 'British Enterprise'.  I can't find the missing set screw for the coupling rod in the packaging, and as far I know I can't just steal one from any other Hornby model, they tend to vary.

The model is perfect in every other way, well, a step was loose in the pack,  talk about a pennyworth of tar! Maybe I should ask Hornby if they would post a set screw to NZ?

So that's two failures from two with this model for me. I have a third lost in the mail system somewhere in the UK, tracked in theory and delivered by Royal Mail to international partner, who have not after 25 days scanned it.

Here's a lot to be said for buying in person at a reail store and viewing the model. 

E mail Hornby hopefully they will post a couple to you. Dont forget to tell them about the broken body too !!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, robmcg said:

I had that screw out of mine last week. It looked just like the others from the front or back driving wheels of any of the Hornby Eastern Pacifics I have had apart over the last few years. I haven’t tried it but would be happy to if it helps. Let me know if you have a loco there you want to borrow  a screw from and fair chance I have similar and can try the swap for you. The job is much much easier if you have a socket driver tool for that head size.

The screws from the Hornby Eastern Pacific centre wheels or rear wheel with a speedo connector are smaller on the thread diameter.

For the larger screws with the shoulders that I think you need I have even found ones off older chassis sometimes fit fine.

Tom (In Canada so I know it’s a long wait for spares for you !)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I really am surprised that Hornby have sent out these models with so many minor errors. They are not cheap either.

Having said that, this is a fine model of a magnificent prototype that in many ways sums up Gresley's approach to locomotive design. Large locomotives, not afraid to try technology from other countries and specific designs for a given task. In this case though it didn't work too well! So despite the minor quality issues, we are lucky to have this model available and for that Hornby should be congratulated.

I am expecting my model of 60700 to arrive shortly. I have a good stock of BA and Metric screws, nuts etc...

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

18 hours ago, melmerby said:

Where did BR get the 60700 number from?

Was it intended to be LNER 700 following on from the pacifics but never got done?

Good question.   Thompson left it as 10000 in his renumbering scheme, and as you point out, 700 would see it in with the 2-6-2 and Pacific classes...

So why DID BR choose 60700??

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 828CC said:

Good question.   Thompson left it as 10000 in his renumbering scheme, and as you point out, 700 would see it in with the 2-6-2 and Pacific classes...

So why DID BR choose 60700??

Nicely fitted after the A2s and before the V2s, IMHO it is the logical place for it but as a one off oddity it could have gone anywhere like the U1 that ended up as (6) 9999

Having just one 5 figure numeral in the fleet is just bizarre.

The larger LMS had hundreds but the GWR* & SR stuck to 4 except for Bulleid's unusual system

*100A1, being an exception but normally refered to as just 100

10 hours ago, 30368 said:

I really am surprised that Hornby have sent out these models with so many minor errors. They are not cheap either.

Having said that, this is a fine model of a magnificent prototype that in many ways sums up Gresley's approach to locomotive design. Large locomotives, not afraid to try technology from other countries and specific designs for a given task. In this case though it didn't work too well! So despite the minor quality issues, we are lucky to have this model available and for that Hornby should be congratulated.

I am expecting my model of 60700 to arrive shortly. I have a good stock of BA and Metric screws, nuts etc...

Kind regards,

Richard B

I agree and  I too await the A4-shape version (10000 in blue), a local NZ courier delivery, any day now.

Lovely.

Especially since I tried a set screw from Merchant Navy 35011 on 'British Enterprise' and to my surprise it fitted...  the rear driving wheel now looking and running as it should. I also successfully glued the detached step on the other side... the faces were quite clean and flat, but the design is such that they would snap off quite easily. It needed a bit of help from a friend with a steady hand and better eyes, but I supplied the hex-head socket driver and glue. :)

I think we expect a lot from the manufacturer to assemble such somplex delicate models perfectly.

Img_1088a_r2080a.jpg.1593cbf31453ef0dcade0c5019031f01.jpg

So all in all a good outcome, and any spare set screw from Hornby will be used to re-instate 35011.

I should note that fitting the step to the underside of the running plate was easier than I expected, there is a distinct position where the two parts have a flat surface for the joint, using your adhesive of choice, probably a medium-slow-setting cyano would be ideal. I used polystyrene glue so I had about 40 seconds to 'set' the position, but I think it might snap off if knocked. Trouble with a super-strong joint is that it might break the area to which the step is fixed, if knocked. 

My 'training' was in Kitmaster from about 1960-on so what would I know...?  I even soldered electrical things for a living for a while, but I do like plastic glue. 

Lovely model now. Smooth graceful runner too.

Edited by robmcg
typos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robmcg said:

there is a distinct position where the two parts have a flat surface for the joint, using your adhesive of choice, probably a medium-slow-setting cyano would be ideal. I used polystyrene glue

When my first step came off there was very little glue on it and the step had a distinct lug that located in a similar shaped depression under the footplate.

• Agree 2