Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Ultimately the magazine's can only review whats in front of them and if the review sample has no issues then thats it.

1 minute ago, Bernard Lamb said:

The magazines have no need to mention any problems that are discussed on social media unless relevant to the actual model that they have for review.

Both are correct points but no model has been supplied for review to us (and some other magazines) so we can hardly form an article on the basis of what the internet has said.

With regard to buying several models with already known and widespread issues brings the phrase “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” to mind.

• Like 1

Magazines are irreleveant ,due to the delay in printing anything as "News" as it at least a month behind what is occuring at the relevant time. The internet is now the obvious tool of choice.

It is Hornby or whoever the maker is  responsibility to make a public statement ,as to what the percieved problems are . They are the only ones in this case who know the level of returns etc. However it maybe be regarded as bad publicity by any company to do so. It would appear in this case  Hornby are using that option at the present time ??. If that is correct it will do them irrepairable damage to their sales/reputation  in the future. 

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I guess one important message to get to buyers in a review, would be is the risk of a collision between the steps and layout platforms for example. But as they do vary in their fitment (tight to running gear or splayed out), this may not be picked up. It also depends on if the review is tested on a prototypical layout complete with platforms, that is with prototype clearances.

Tony Wright has already mentioned this to Hornby (Simon), and the later models may well have them separately supplied in the bag for customer fitting which will be great as long as there is a warning about checking the gauge. Even better if the design is modified to slim them down a little (compromise).

I was 3rd time lucky getting a good R3840 (first broken deflector / second faulty gear train), but there was never a problem getting a refund on the returns. Bit of an inconvenience at the time but pleased with the outcome.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Do you want to tell the BBC, or shall I? ;)

A very good point. A curse of the 21st century, just reporting on what someone else said rather than doing any work.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Both are correct points but no model has been supplied for review to us (and some other magazines) so we can hardly form an article on the basis of what the internet has said.

With regard to buying several models with already known and widespread issues brings the phrase “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” to mind.

With regard to the second sentence, bottom line is there ARE models out there that do not have issues.  Should we really have to partake in a lottery when we spend our hard earned cash?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

A very good point. A curse of the 21st century, just reporting on what someone else said rather than doing any work.

Have a look at the Metro. Their articles are just links to arguments on Twitter.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, 828CC said:

Should we really have to partake in a lottery when we spend our hard earned cash?

Living on the other side of the world compounds the issue and if your odds of winning that lottery are further don't complain if you've shortened your own odds if you're daft enough to play the game. Anyway, complaints should be addressed to the retailers or the manufacturer and not the hobby press.

Meccano was proud that out of a production run of 100,000 Hornby Dublo 2-6-4Ts produced in 1955 only six came back under the guarantee with serious defects. In those days each one was tested with 12 goods wagons before it was sent to the retailer and had a tested note attached to the chimney.

I wonder if Hornby can equal this achievement.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Living on the other side of the world compounds the issue and if your odds of winning that lottery are further don't complain if you've shortened your own odds if you're daft enough to play the game. Anyway, complaints should be addressed to the retailers or the manufacturer and not the hobby press.

You can't win the Lottery if you're outside the UK.

• RMweb Premium

I would like to add that my model of 60700 is rather good with few faults that I have noticed. Some of us though, primarily from what I can see in this thread, those that ordered the original W1, have either had to finish the assembly of the model, return it or seek spares to repair. Truly not acceptable and despite providing the hobby with models of two facinating prototypes, Hornby need to act to deal with their customers complaints and make sure that this is not repeated in future releases.

My 60700 had a loose return crank on one side meaning that it could not maintain its correct relationship to the axle. The same was true of the crank driving the mechanical lubricators. Trivial compared to some I know.

I have added brass cylinder end covers, they clear the body so don't get snagged when the body is removed from the chassis.

1380397514_IMG_7056-1.JPG.d8f798d4534108ee88dee9a11c4d7b60.JPG

I have also added the front to the firebox and the rear cage of the front buffer units. Klear has been applied + light chassis weathering.

IMG_7054.JPG.b0a369158e6016cfffdb087ca5b46cb2.JPG

I have also added the (fuse wire) pipe that runs just above where the namplate would have been.

183068585_IMG_7051-1.JPG.30d1e96d16d63c3c1e119c78c083cee5.JPG

Despite everything it is a magnificant model of an equally fabulous prototype. Luckily for me it was one of the loco's transferred to the Southern during the Bullied axle problems..........!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, 30368 said:

I would like to add that my model of 60700 is rather good with few faults that I have noticed. Some of us though, primarily from what I can see in this thread, those that ordered the original W1, have either had to finish the assembly of the model, return it or seek spares to repair. Truly not acceptable and despite providing the hobby with models of two facinating prototypes, Hornby need to act to deal with their customers complaints and make sure that this is not repeated in future releases.

My 60700 had a loose return crank on one side meaning that it could not maintain its correct relationship to the axle. The same was true of the crank driving the mechanical lubricators. Trivial compared to some I know.

I have added brass cylinder end covers, they clear the body so don't get snagged when the body is removed from the chassis.

1380397514_IMG_7056-1.JPG.d8f798d4534108ee88dee9a11c4d7b60.JPG

I have also added the front to the firebox and the rear cage of the front buffer units. Klear has been applied + light chassis weathering.

IMG_7054.JPG.b0a369158e6016cfffdb087ca5b46cb2.JPG

I have also added the (fuse wire) pipe that runs just above where the namplate would have been.

183068585_IMG_7051-1.JPG.30d1e96d16d63c3c1e119c78c083cee5.JPG

Despite everything it is a magnificant model of an equally fabulous prototype. Luckily for me it was one of the loco's transferred to the Southern during the Bullied axle problems..........!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Fair dos that looks stunning.  About 8/9 years ago Graeme King converted an A4 of mine  into the W1. I would never have imagined that this or the a2/2 and a2/3 would have been produced. How wrong I was!  I'm fairly specific in my modeling period and don't collect. But all power to Hornby for producing such ECML machines.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have both the rebuilt LNER blue and BR 50700 and agree these are beautiful models.

I have repaired all three of my damaged R3840-1 examples, which for me was actually a rather tricky but ultimately satifying conclusion.

As to buying from the other side of the world, this is problematic for a return, quite rare for me with hundreds of engines purchased over the years, and only about 4 went back, and no doubt they were ultimately repairable.  'Daft enought to play the game' Andy?  Yes, clearly I am.

These pics below repeated, say why.

IMG_1158abcd_r2080a.jpg.ef685dc158d70def89ed5fad61522ce5.jpg

60700_W1_portrai70_1abcd_r2080a.jpg.76fccf6b867facb324f4ee2e250bec3c.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

To redress the balance,my brace of streamlined W1 arrived simultaneously..each coincidentally in the same courier delivery but from different sources and have no QC issues whatsoever. Each is beautifully finished and the paint shades are IMHO as accurate and acceptable as we’ve seen from Hornby for quite a time. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, 30368 said:

And there was me thinking I couldn't get away with one of them on a southern region layout!

Is that a bit of rule 1 in action or was it actually transferred to the Southern? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

And there was me thinking I couldn't get away with one of them on a southern region layout!

Is that a bit of rule 1 in action or was it actually transferred to the Southern? 

AFAI the temporary transfer to cover for urgent repairs to the MN were of some V2.I don’t believe there is any record of 60700 wandering far from the ECML ..usually south of Doncaster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Just a bit of imaginative creativity..... and very, very unlikely that such a move was ever considered. When my Basingstoke layout is complete (whenever that may be...) it will run so I guess that's Rule 1 in operation. I do have an A3, A4, an A1/1*, an A2/2 and two A2/3s* and two V2s* and a B1. I also have a Proscale A4 and A3 and a Judith Edge V4 kit to build. The V2's and the B1 will be fine to run but the rest are all Rule 1 candidates.

Kind regards,

Richard B

* DJH A2/3, Crown Line A1/1 and Proscale V2 kits built by me.

• Like 2

Leaving aside the various shameful damage and mis-assembly issues with these models, the photography on this thread makes me reflect just how far Hornby (still Triang-Hornby in my mind) and other R-T-R manufacturers have come since my childhood in the 1960s. The difference between the standard of an out-of-the box model now compared to then is almost incomprehensible. I suspect that if prices are compared, with 60s prices adjusted to today's in real terms, the value-for-money today is pretty good too. 

The photos in rbmcg's post above really do justice to this magnificent model.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My rebuilt W1 arrived today from TMC.

First impressions were it's very heavy; much heavier than a Hornby Gresley pacific.

Some things I was pleased to see on the model are the white lettering around the cod's mouth door mechanism on the valances, the bogie wheels which look considerably better than the wheels Hornby use on the Gresley pacifics and the beefier connecting rods (the rest of the motion is still fairly thin). I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't any representation of the wooden window frames on the side of the cab or the brass spectacle frames but it's not a deal breaker and they should be fairly easy to paint on.

The engine runs very smoothly and quietly and the weight really helps the pulling power. Once I'd run it in, I hooked up the W1 to 15 coaches (a mix or RTR and kits probably totalling 16 or 17 RTR coaches in weight and drag) which it started with just a hint of slipping on a nominal 2' radius curve. Out of interest, I tried my newest A4 (bought 2 months ago and barely used since I ran it in) on the same rake and it couldn't shift it. It managed 10 coaches with a fair bit of slipping on the same curve that the W1 started the longer train on.

IMG_20220119_154526829.jpg.f15e67b83d9fb75e8929a4b2b72a80de.jpgIMG_20220119_154352816.jpg.12e154d13b934849c41c07aad39c68b7.jpg

These photos show the W1 on my model of its regular prewar Up working, the 11.03 from Doncaster to King's Cross

Jamie

• Like 16

Just noticed while testing my W1 on my new layout’s fiddle yard that the steps are so out of gauge they slightly foul Hornby’s own R8206 power clip track.

These are only in temporary use for siding testing until I get round to soldering in dropper wires.

54767ABD-0EEC-48F6-8E44-746CB3B840A9.jpeg.58b0e5f64e323475e436067d1ea4b022.jpeg

Given obvious compromises have been made to the model to make it trainset track-friendly (the floating flangeless trailing axles, tender coupling and so on) it’s most strange the model doesn’t appear compatible with the manufacturer’s own trainset power supply - until the steps have been bent 1mm or so inwards.

‘Who is this model aimed at?’ is an interesting question…

A4CCB664-690A-4020-BA3D-6DC25A605D7E.jpeg.47c8373208a3e7758f88e6fe37c661fb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

My rebuilt W1 arrived today from TMC.

Jamie

So did mine.

I have inspected it without removing it from the plastic cradle it sits in and so far seems to be 100%

I will have out of the cradle and on the rails tomorrow.

I haven't got another 8pin Lenz decoder so I will be fitting a Zimo MX600R and see how the running compares.

Corrected MX600R for MX617

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

Just noticed while testing my W1 on my new layout’s fiddle yard that the steps are so out of gauge they slightly foul Hornby’s own R8206 power clip track.

These are only in temporary use for siding testing until I get round to soldering in dropper wires.

There does seem to be some variation on the fit of the steps.

Fortunately the ones on mine were vertical but they are still way out of gauge

The real loco managed to keep within 9' 0" overall width, the Hornby one is about scale 11' 0" wide over the steps or 8mm too wide, a huge amount out of gauge, they need moving in a fair bit.

The steps on mine, although vertical, still touched the kerb on one of my platforms which was made to cope with the much more genrous GWR loading gauge..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have with regret just cancelled my order. The price increase was so significant on my pre-order to put in into the realms of a Accurascale DCC Sound Manor.

Hornby must be made to regret some of their recent actions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1