Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2022 at 12:45, Re6/6 said:

My BR version of the W1 arrived today and I'm thrilled to bits with it. I travelled a few miles behind it in my childhood in the late 50s so it evokes happy memories!

Curiously the tender draw bar has two distance adjustments but the shorter distance can't be used as the mazak chassis gets in the way. The instruction sheet says that for a shorter connection, just turn it round, but as can be seen the electrical plug gets in the way! Not a problem really as it will just be shortened.

20220122_114549.jpg.f8f89e0d51829a72bc0e60230144c855.jpg

20220122_131117.jpg.0def9c5620859a893a0131c487fa6aaa.jpg

I have just noticed an odd discrepancy, I think.

melmerby posted some photos back on page 35 of his W1 still in the plastic shell and, further down, where he provided the clearance measurements within the rear truck.  His W1 looks like it has more clearance between the tender screw and the electrical socket.

My W1 (also the original shape) matches melmerby's, i.e. it looks like there would be sufficient clearance.  I have just tried refitting the draw bar the other way around and it does fit  which is clearly not the case with yours John.

When I say it fits, it actually requires a little fettling to work because the stamping hasn't been cleaned up and the end needs filing smooth.  This appears to be true of the one in your photo too where there is a little nib just at the very end near to the double holes.  (Someone mentioned this aspect earlier where they were concerned it might damage the wires.)

Edited by teaky
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, jamieb said:

Can you not just snip off the outer ring of the figure of eight shaped end,in other words,the bit marked in red on the Hornby diagram below? Should fit ok then 

I've done exactly that on mine. Nowhere to run it at the moment, but upside down in my hands, it seems ok.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, jamieb said:

Can you not just snip off the outer ring of the figure of eight shaped end,in other words,the bit marked in red on the Hornby diagram below? Should fit ok then 

I did that, and found a brass washer that fitted over the pivot screw and soldered that to the drawbar.  That probably wasn't really necessary though as I think the open ended loop would be OK on its own.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2022 at 15:11, teaky said:

I have just noticed an odd discrepancy, I think.

Both my Original and Garter Blue Rebuild have the extra distance, which will allow the bar to be reversed and used in the short position.

Is perchance the tender with the Brunswick Green one a standard A4 non corridor, already in Hornby's range?

This may have had more clearance for the fixing under the cab. (no casting for wheels to obstruct it!)

Hence all locos supplied with the coupling bar with the two holes forward and set to long position

EDIT

There is also a difference in the coupling distance on the two versions (Original & Rebuilt), the rebuild has a coupling bar about 2.5mm longer!

I also think it's bizarre that Hornby has contrived to make the two screews completely different, the loco uses a fine thread and goes into the casting, the tender has a coarse thread into plastic and is also shorter.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2022 at 09:12, No Decorum said:

In OliverBytham’s close up of the cab from side on, the rear trailing wheel is clearly black. The front one is hidden. Is there inconsistency in the models?

Just been having a look in the detail bag and, funnily enough, the flanged trailing wheels for the green LNER W1 are indeed fully lined out green, as opposed to the plain black unflanged wheels fitted as shipped. 

4EE44E44-414E-4D76-9D35-D55F713823F7.jpeg.7ac9f9d8070de21cd19c4f730186f44d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

Just been having a look in the detail bag and, funnily enough, the flanged trailing wheels for the green LNER W1 are indeed fully lined out green, as opposed to the plain black unflanged wheels fitted as shipped. 

4EE44E44-414E-4D76-9D35-D55F713823F7.jpeg.7ac9f9d8070de21cd19c4f730186f44d.jpeg

Thanks for posting. That’s very odd.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

15 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Thanks for posting. That’s very odd.

It is indeed.

Both the original Hush Hush & Garter Blue rebuild have suitably coloured wheels.

Out of interest what is the red colour on Garter Blue locos?

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It is indeed.

Both the original Hush Hush & Garter Blue rebuild have suitably coloured wheels.

Out of interest what is the red colour on Garter Blue locos?

I've always know it as Indian Red but Phoenix have it as Crimson Lake - https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/precisionrailway/bigfour/lnerbigfour/14p53

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Yet another to go with Midland Crimson Lake, LMS Crimson Lake & GWR Crimson Lake:good:

Crimson Lake does sound good - even if it may conjure up images of a bloodbath (or is that just me being weird? :D).

Well my Rebuilt No.10000 arrived yesterday and it wasn't...great. Chimney wasn't fitted properly so you could see a fair amount of daylight under it, one of the sliding roof vents was loose in the box along with the driver's seat. One of the tender pickups was twisted back and was making a terrible screeching sound when I test ran it. Currently looking to see if I can send it back and swap it for another Garter one, normally I avoid doing that if possible as I'm in the US but-.

Man the QC has really gone down the pipes with Hornby and we're now paying even higher prices for this sort of thing.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 04/02/2022 at 06:40, 60800 said:

My 60700 arrived on Monday - no visual issues, but I haven't ran it yet. 

1627947590_PXL_20220201_190137131.NIGHT2.jpg.8e2bb1711c0826a3b2ca2075494b7898.jpg

I couldn't resist doing this pairing, both locos ironically being my newest arrivals;

1356099289_PXL_20220201_190508077.NIGHT2.jpg.23e4e91f3a4acdebd11709054bb998ba.jpg

Cheers,

Have to admit W1 looks an impressive beast in that configuration.  Whilst I haven't considered the Garter Blue offering, were Hornby to offer wartime/post war black I think I could succumb  :-)

• Like 1

At last I have now had the opportunity to run my ‘hush hush’ loco. Not so much a hush though, more of a growl! It makes a horrendous noise going forward and cuts out frequently  and shorts out on my controller. In reverse, however, it runs smoothly and silently.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before it take it apart and/or complain to Hornby. Very disappointing although I was expecting something would be wrong after all the faults I’ve read on here.

Any help will be gratefully received as I’d rather fix it than send it back.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 20/01/2022 at 14:52, reddragon said:

I have with regret just cancelled my order. The price increase was so significant on my pre-order to put in into the realms of a Accurascale DCC Sound Manor.

Hornby must be made to regret some of their recent actions.

If your cancelled pre-order is instantly sold to someone else I doubt there will be any regret. Despite shortcomings these seem to have flown off the shelves.

That'll be Accurascale - 1 (an extra sale)

Hornby - 1 (people are still willing to buy at the new higher prices)

Petulant protests - 0

Edited by andyman7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, paftrain said:

At last I have now had the opportunity to run my ‘hush hush’ loco. Not so much a hush though, more of a growl! It makes a horrendous noise going forward and cuts out frequently  and shorts out on my controller. In reverse, however, it runs smoothly and silently.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before it take it apart and/or complain to Hornby. Very disappointing although I was expecting something would be wrong after all the faults I’ve read on here.

Nothing wrong with either of mine in that department, they are remarkably quiet in either direction until near top speed when they both start to whine a little.

15 hours ago, paftrain said:

Mine runs beautifully and quietly both ways. I would take it back and exchange it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 60800 said:

Hi Melmerby, it's the new Bachmann one.

Cheers,

Really?

I was looking at a Bachmann picture of the new 60800 and it looks different to that picture in several ways.

Found it:scratchhead: NRM version in museum condition?

I rather like the look of 4791

Edited by melmerby

On 07/02/2022 at 23:20, melmerby said:

Really?

I was looking at a Bachmann picture of the new 60800 and it looks different to that picture in several ways.

Found it:scratchhead: NRM version in museum condition?

I rather like the look of 4791

Sorry I didn't see your reply - yeah I plan on toning down the wheels and motion from that 'museum finish'

Interestingly, 60700's smokebox numberplate is displayed in the New Danum gallery in the same hall as Green Arrow.

Cheers,