RMweb

New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Are the buffer beams on this model metal, then?

I pushed the Hornby hook out from the rear. Detail wise, depending on how far you want to go the Pivot plate will need building back up to be more prototypical.

Riddles-2MT-Hornby-024-EditSM.jpg.3fa0ca28dbe6e6d88e3e2e0f638ccccb.jpg

This is an Ambis hook (1mm square tail) which is a good fit. I might use up one of my rapidly diminishing supply of Exactoscale screw links on here...   because she's worth it.

Riddles-2MT-Hornby-023-EditSm.jpg.4183424472ff96c6e640da9c6546820b.jpg

To me, the wheels are a bit of an enigma. As alluded to earlier the typical bevel of the Stanier wheel is present but it isn't very distinct. I'm puzzled why Hornby have decided to give the wheel centre a prominent raised boss more reminiscent of an inside cylinder driver wheel rather than the flush face of the prototype. More bafflement with the bogie wheel. Should have a raised centre but it's almost flush?

They manged to get those bits correct on the latest 9F. See below. 9F to the left, 2MT too the right.

Riddles-2MT-Hornby-005-EditSm.jpg.4b8f6b4376f16b90a363e2fe720a303e.jpg

Riddles-2MT-Hornby-004-EditSm.jpg.6d61f0f24903a197cff358610b9a63e2.jpg

Riddles-2MT-Hornby-007-EditSm.jpg.f352f1192146dd10bc6e4e20169b4055.jpg

Riddles-2MT-Hornby-008-EditSm.jpg.9c716afa6ca97d8d04f9e4c5b2bd8840.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

So, the wheels aren't quite perfect?

I struggled to see the difference but they could be slightly better, I agree.  Most people aren't going to notice and, of course, it's an 00 model so the gauge is out by ~10% anyway.

The thing that I don't like is the longitudinal line where the chassis part of the boiler joins the main part.

I'm tempted to buy one but, at the moment, it just feels too expensive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Finally had a chance to take a look at my own model so thought I'd share a few close up images for anyone interested. This is R3838 the early crest version. Have to say I'm very impressed with it overall 👍

Hornby2MT1.jpg.9ac1cb09b60c21c7a4ee218cc5779584.jpg

Hornby2MT2.jpg.b3754116b698ddf1b0863007578cbf31.jpg

Hornby2MT3.jpg.2387cabbbe19546f554980c41931babb.jpg

Hornby2MT5.jpg.c41e2900dbd2f64b3c5b2ccfc1f23b93.jpg

Hornby2MT6.jpg.d5710cf70119837c2a5cd9d7e8e49979.jpg

Hornby2MT7.jpg.e9825389fc3cba7bfd67b97f87f02af0.jpg

Screenshot2023-10-15at15_07_29.png.bd2879b27a86ba04f36d3a4f63768728.png

For those who want to see how it actually performs there's a video below.

Initial test on the rolling road (DC) at 08:25

Running on the layout (DCC) at 10:36

Don't worry, there's no unboxing in this video - though for the faint of heart I should warn you that there is a brief mention of the packaging at one point 🙃

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Finally had a chance to take a look at my own model so thought I'd share a few close up images for anyone interested. This is R3838 the early crest version. Have to say I'm very impressed with it overall 👍

Hornby2MT1.jpg.9ac1cb09b60c21c7a4ee218cc5779584.jpg

Hornby2MT2.jpg.b3754116b698ddf1b0863007578cbf31.jpg

Hornby2MT3.jpg.2387cabbbe19546f554980c41931babb.jpg

Hornby2MT5.jpg.c41e2900dbd2f64b3c5b2ccfc1f23b93.jpg

Hornby2MT6.jpg.d5710cf70119837c2a5cd9d7e8e49979.jpg

Hornby2MT7.jpg.e9825389fc3cba7bfd67b97f87f02af0.jpg

Screenshot2023-10-15at15_07_29.png.bd2879b27a86ba04f36d3a4f63768728.png

For those who want to see how it actually performs there's a video below.

Initial test on the rolling road (DC) at 08:25

Running on the layout (DCC) at 10:36

Don't worry, there's no unboxing in this video - though for the faint of heart I should warn you that there is a brief mention of the packaging at one point 🙃

One minor criticism - I feel that the 'polished copper / brasswork' is overdone.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

One minor criticism - I feel that the 'polished copper / brasswork' is overdone.

CJI.

I would say its far easier to tone it down with some weathering than it would be to bling it said pipework once it had arrived.

Consequently Hornby's approach strikes me as the sensible approach - provide the loco 'ex works' / 'just been built' condition and leave it up to the end user to tone it down as much or as little as they like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
On 13/10/2023 at 14:49, coronach said:

I operate Whinburgh and Slitrigg using 3 link couplings and I am disappointed that, notwithstanding the superb detail exhibited by many model locomotives, in many cases the construction makes it difficult to install realistic screw couplings that are effective in coupling to a train. The dummy moulded hook that is provided can’t be adapted to accept links. 

Sometimes it is possible to drill out a slot that will accept a brass hook but in this case I think that would be difficult. 

Suggestions and comments gratefully accepted. 

Have you thought of using the Accurascale screw coupling? It may not be the exact correct design (being better suited to modern freight stock), but it is functional and can be used for coupling up. Drill out as per Porcy's post, and insert the tail of the coupling hook. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Random question for those that have removed the loco body, was there actually a screw at the front? Instructions mention removing screw holding drawbar and a screw hiding under the pony truck mount but mine appears not to have a screw there, just an empty hole.

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

I would say its far easier to tone it down with some weathering than it would be to bling it said pipework once it had arrived.

Consequently Hornby's approach strikes me as the sensible approach - provide the loco 'ex works' / 'just been built' condition and leave it up to the end user to tone it down as much or as little as they like.

That's my point - having seen plenty of BR-era ex-works steam locos, they weren't out-shopped with all that 'bling'.

Very occasionally, it might have been done for an exhibition, but not for general service.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Going ever-so-slightly ot here I'm afraid.

I think it was on here we had a link to the Wellingborough loco that did a brake van railtour, 78038 was it? Not a Q about the loco, but the train; would the vans be piped (like passenger stock, or would they be loose-coupled on this tour?

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Kaput said:

Random question for those that have removed the loco body, was there actually a screw at the front? Instructions mention removing screw holding drawbar and a screw hiding under the pony truck mount but mine appears not to have a screw there, just an empty hole.

Yes, in the traditional hard to get to “under the pony wheel” spot.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

That's my point - having seen plenty of BR-era ex-works steam locos, they weren't out-shopped with all that 'bling'.

Very occasionally, it might have been done for an exhibition, but not for general service.

CJI.

It all depends I think as far as the model is concerned it's easier to 'dirty' the pipewrk than it is to 'clean' it.  And don't forget that copying the condition of a preserved engine is very different from their real raliway everyday condition.

This photo very obviously isn't a 2 MT but it's biggest brother and as can be seen it is in 'very ex-works' condition and all probaly running-in before being returned to its home shed.  So out of works for no more than a week and pinched by Swindon shed for a little Sunday job before being sent home to its owning Region.  But almost all the pipework is already dull and would have been going thaht way from almost the instant it was fitted in works as the metal tarnished.  A few days in running got it to this state.

76041Sdnpril1964rdcopy.jpg.14175fc12c020da20dc99d1523842146.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It all depends I think as far as the model is concerned it's easier to 'dirty' the pipewrk than it is to 'clean' it.  And don't forget that copying the condition of a preserved engine is very different from their real raliway everyday condition.

This photo very obviously isn't a 2 MT but it's biggest brother and as can be seen it is in 'very ex-works' condition and all probaly running-in before being returned to its home shed.  So out of works for no more than a week and pinched by Swindon shed for a little Sunday job before being sent home to its owning Region.  But almost all the pipework is already dull and would have been going thaht way from almost the instant it was fitted in works as the metal tarnished.  A few days in running got it to this state.

76041Sdnpril1964rdcopy.jpg.14175fc12c020da20dc99d1523842146.jpg

Quite - polished lubricator pipework, etc. is unlikely, even nowadays in preservation.

To my eyes, it just makes the model look toy-like - akin to one of those American abominations that are destined, annually, to endlessly circle a Christmas tree!

Most of us try to reproduce a working railway, and such 'bling' has no place in that scenario.

CJI

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Yes, in the traditional hard to get to “under the pony wheel” spot.

Screw eventually turned up. Think it was loose.

Alas the loco sounds like a bag of spanners while running so it'll need to go for replacement.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Dirty or clean, this weekend at the Bluebell railway..

DFE4B933-81FD-4ADA-9863-809954E24D94.jpeg.edf9c0cc9c81b9831767a4314ec1945d.jpeg2A79BF41-E392-4E74-A433-1D7606C2F359.jpeg.d3abbd637e893770a922036dfaa340ab.jpeg

total OT but in the bay at Sheffield Park was 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair, although not in steam, its firebox was warm… its been out to play first time in a decade last weeks.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Living in Derby in my yoof!, I agree. I saw many ex-works locos and I don't recall seeing many(if any) with all that highly polished copper and brass.

Mike

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Quite - polished lubricator pipework, etc. is unlikely, even nowadays in preservation.

To my eyes, it just makes the model look toy-like - akin to one of those American abominations that are destined, annually, to endlessly circle a Christmas tree!

Most of us try to reproduce a working railway, and such 'bling' has no place in that scenario.

CJI

Preservation, admittedly - and not quite as blingy as Hornby’s superb 2MT, but I was taken with 41312 at Loughborough a couple of years back, partially because of the clean pipework. 

IMG_2598.jpeg.5f8c79b34b2db004db1c917d67c7be1d.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI

Models have to sell themselves to the general public and that means being presented in 'showroom condition'. I have one of those 'American abominations' - It had a red boiler, a bright green tender and its DCC chip played Christmas carols! It's by Broadway Limited - a manufacturer of 'serious' well-detailed models. Some masking tape, a matt black aerosol, and some new decals and I have a White Pass & Yukon 'mogul' which, with repainted Bachmann coaches, makes a very nice White Pass souvenir - even if it does come out once a year to circle round a Christmas tree! It's much easier for a good modeller to put something into 'workaday' condition than it is for a mediocre modeller to make a work-stained model look pristine. (CJL)

Edited by VIA185
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI

Well im sure,  as you have often pointed out to others in various threads that have 'questioned' areas of RTR models, that you can do some modelling and dull down any 'bling' to your own satisfaction... 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Well im sure,  as you have often pointed out to others in various threads that have 'questioned' areas of RTR models, that you can do some modelling and dull down any 'bling' to your own satisfaction... 

Not disputed - but why is it necessary?

Are the principal players producing models of actual trains - or a fictitious image of what railways never were?

Sooner or later, such 'bling' will become received wisdom of the reality 'back in the day' - and future generations will be unable to understand why such a perfect system was superceded.

It isn't accurate, and it isn't justifiable!

CJI.

• Like 2