New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

On 20/01/2024 at 13:20, The Stationmaster said:

In some respects it was worse than that - the loco and tender bodies were both 'stretched' for some reason.  Almost understandable with the loco but why do that with the tender?  I adopted the simple, but rather frightening, solution of careful comparison with a drawing (Skinley I think) and choosing the spots to cut a slice out of both bodies.  That in turn meant an attack on the chassis of the engine (driving wheelbase left alone, too difficult for me) and a new chassis for the render (out of an Airfix Std 2-6-0 kit) which remarkably got it to the right buffer height without hacking or shaving anything away.  

But after a progress lapse due to working away from home for several years Bachmann announced theirs so the 'rebodge' retired to a dusty corner to gather even more dust.

It used the Britannia chassis for the tender.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/03/2024 at 16:52, Silver Sidelines said:

Tell me about them - I think Hornby have upped their game but at a price.

Cheers Ray

Hornby R3982 - BR Standard 78006

Love mine too though 78022 stopped 'dead' a minute ago and I feared the worst - happily just the 4 pin plug managed to wiggle a little loose. 

• Like 2

Well I'm not supposed to be buying any more steam locos but the opportunity to buy one of these at a discount plus use a heap of loyalty points was too good to pass up. 

Anyhow it turned up today, as I got it it was still sealed in the outer cardboard carton so I'm the first to open it since it left the factory but I could hear a rattle and sure enough it was obvious there were a few detached parts. Being pretty experienced at this superdetail malarky I followed SOP (= standard operating procedure) which is to unpack carefully on a sterile surface (i.e. not on the carpet...) and recover everything that might be loose. This paid dividends as one of the front buffers was loose in the pack and a younger, less experienced me wouldn't have realised until later that this means a near invisible tiny spring lurking somewhere there - duly captured and contained. 

One tender footstep was also folded back on itself - again definitely a factory issue - but the plastic is soft and I could fold it back without it snapping off. At this point I tested the model as I wasn't going to put it back together if the running was faulty, but it was smooth and sweet straight out of the box. Anyway the buffer and spring snapped into place but I'm left with two bits I cannot identify the location for. One is (in 4mm scale) a tiny tap handle. I think it may have come from the cab interior but there isn't an obvious one missing. This piece literally looked like a piece of grit when the box was opened, it's only my Spidey Senses that these days know that such 'grit' is often a detached part. The second piece ought to be more obvious to locate but I haven't worked it out - a green footstep-shaped piece except I can't see anything like that missing from the model. If anyone can confirm the location of these bits I'd be grateful, for now they can live in the details bag.

It is a very pretty loco and the green really 'pops', I'm so glad it isn't one of those dull insipid finishes.

PXL_20240307_145944505.jpg

PXL_20240307_145949361.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

27 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Well I'm not supposed to be buying any more steam locos but the opportunity to buy one of these at a discount plus use a heap of loyalty points was too good to pass up. 

Anyhow it turned up today, as I got it it was still sealed in the outer cardboard carton so I'm the first to open it since it left the factory but I could hear a rattle and sure enough it was obvious there were a few detached parts. Being pretty experienced at this superdetail malarky I followed SOP (= standard operating procedure) which is to unpack carefully on a sterile surface (i.e. not on the carpet...) and recover everything that might be loose. This paid dividends as one of the front buffers was loose in the pack and a younger, less experienced me wouldn't have realised until later that this means a near invisible tiny spring lurking somewhere there - duly captured and contained. 

One tender footstep was also folded back on itself - again definitely a factory issue - but the plastic is soft and I could fold it back without it snapping off. At this point I tested the model as I wasn't going to put it back together if the running was faulty, but it was smooth and sweet straight out of the box. Anyway the buffer and spring snapped into place but I'm left with two bits I cannot identify the location for. One is (in 4mm scale) a tiny tap handle. I think it may have come from the cab interior but there isn't an obvious one missing. This piece literally looked like a piece of grit when the box was opened, it's only my Spidey Senses that these days know that such 'grit' is often a detached part. The second piece ought to be more obvious to locate but I haven't worked it out - a green footstep-shaped piece except I can't see anything like that missing from the model. If anyone can confirm the location of these bits I'd be grateful, for now they can live in the details bag.

It is a very pretty loco and the green really 'pops', I'm so glad it isn't one of those dull insipid finishes.

PXL_20240307_145944505.jpg

PXL_20240307_145949361.jpg

Hey,

I've just had a look on mine and I believe the gold part is one of the cab injectors, and the green bit belongs to the tender side supports (circled in attached photos). Hope this helps!

2mtrmwebhelp_2.png

2mtrmwebhelp_1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Capel said:

Hey,

I've just had a look on mine and I believe the gold part is one of the cab injectors, and the green bit belongs to the tender side supports (circled in attached photos). Hope this helps!

2mtrmwebhelp_2.png

2mtrmwebhelp_1.png

The 'tender side supports' are, in fact, ventilators for the water tank.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

a green footstep-shaped piece except I can't see anything like that missing from the model.

I've seen a few delivered with one of those vents detached. Mine was no exception, despite the witness marks of adhesive being used.

Riddles-2MT-Hornby-011-EditSm.jpg.51035ccbc7963e1c38ae62f3ba79fd66.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If anyone wants one of these Jadlam are doing them at a large discount in their sale. I must admit I am surprised I thought they were supposed to be the bees knees. Either way it is a good price so I ordered one.

• Like 2

I’m reading the latest issue of Model Rail and it has an article on the 2MT’s in which it states that 78028/029 of Leicester Midland shed were used on East Anglian excursion traffic and the article name checks Clacton-On-Sea. Has anyone ever seen photos or reports of this happening previously? Not heard of this previously, and the ones which were shedded on the GE 78022-025 were at Stratford (and then March) were only allocated for a few months and don’t appear to have ever been used. A 2MT also seems to be a bit of a small loco to use on heavy excursion traffic so it seems a bit doubtful to me. Any insight would be appreciated. 

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

I’m reading the latest issue of Model Rail and it has an article on the 2MT’s in which it states that 78028/029 of Leicester Midland shed were used on East Anglian excursion traffic and the article name checks Clacton-On-Sea. Has anyone ever seen photos or reports of this happening previously? Not heard of this previously, and the ones which were shedded on the GE 78022-025 were at Stratford (and then March) were only allocated for a few months and don’t appear to have ever been used. A 2MT also seems to be a bit of a small loco to use on heavy excursion traffic so it seems a bit doubtful to me. Any insight would be appreciated. 

They and their LMS cousins were used on heavy excursion traffic in Wales so I don't think they were exactly feeble for a 2MT.

Jason

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They and their LMS cousins were used on heavy excursion traffic in Wales so I don't think they were exactly feeble for a 2MT.

Jason

Fair enough. The follow-up question to that would then be does anyone have any photos or reports? Would love to see photos as I’d love to justify buying one. 

• Like 1

I may have pics that I have downloaded, or in books, but not sure I can spend the time to search at the moment, maybe I have some in books as well. They were used on the Ketterng-St.Ives-Cambridge service due to weight restrictions. This was also the limiting factor on the Cambridge- Colchester route (often traversed for seaside specials). Another similar route was St.Ives-Ely. Though closed to passenger traffic, some seaside specials were run that way using the LMS version. Bear in mind that the Kettering trains, if they ever ran to Ely (unlikely), would have to reverse at St.Ives.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NXEA! said:

I’d love to justify buying one. 

Just buy one - it would be sixty years ago.  Lots happened.  If you don't want to spend +£150.00 then the Bachmann 2MT Ivatt is an equally good model on eBay for a fraction of the Hornby price.

There are pictures of 78028 and 78029 in their later years on Flickr.

Cheers Ray

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NXEA! said:

The RCTS book on BR standard 4-6-0 & 2-6-0 report them as being used on excursions to Clacton etc.

One of the Stratford engines, 78023, was reported being used on a special freight to Chingford.

I always understood that they were allocated to Stratford to replace the remaining J15 for a few months before being transferred to March.

• Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 22:09, Gilwell Park said:

The RCTS book on BR standard 4-6-0 & 2-6-0 report them as being used on excursions to Clacton etc.

One of the Stratford engines, 78023, was reported being used on a special freight to Chingford.

I always understood that they were allocated to Stratford to replace the remaining J15 for a few months before being transferred to March.

A trawl online did turn up a photo of 78028 at Huntingdon East en-route to Clacton. 

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p645313931/hb5cdb0fc

Question is whether it worked through! The more I look at the Hornby model the more I’m tempted… 

• Like 2

These are the notes on the class I list in GERS 4mm Modelling document:

"78022-5 & 27 were allocated to Stratford shed on 29 July 1962 before being transferred to March on closure of Stratford in September 1962. They moved away from March in December 1962 to LMR or NER. It appears they were never used whilst at Stratford albeit A E Bennett photograph of 78022 light engine at Stratford Low Level on 11/8/62. 78020 (allocated Kettering) in 

Cambridge north bay on 28/08/57. "

Additional information always welcome. 

Paul

• Like 2

I have pics (not all mine so I can't post) of 78020/21/28 (at least) working Kettering-Cambridge. As Clacton was accessed via the Stour Valley line with similar weight restrictions as the Kettering line, I'm certain they would have passed straight through Cambridge, and turned left at Shelford.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/03/2024 at 16:46, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Just like the Hornby model then!

• Like 1