New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

12 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Just not with Hattons as they will likely cancel it :jester:

I specifically avoided Hattons for that very reason (I have lost my trust in them now)

TMC have all still available to pre order, which is where mine is coming from, if anyone is still after it

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t understand the mad clamour to get first releases in general but especially based on Hornby’s current form and the number of variants announced I’m not worried at all about not having a pre order in for this. Much better to wait and see how it turns out and almost certain to be available at modest discount in 12 to 18 months time. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

I specifically avoided Hattons for that very reason (I have lost my trust in them now)

TMC have all still available to pre order, which is where mine is coming from, if anyone is still after it

I've swapped my pre-order over to TMC. Hattons burned my fingers when the Great Goodbye Loco pre orders were cancelled (though not entirely their fault).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I’m not worried at all about not having a pre order in for this.

Depends which one you want. The Collector's Club one might sell quickly.

A) It's a Collector's Club one

B) It's the only one they have announced so far that is preserved. Given they don't seem keen on releasing preserved BR standards (other than Evening Star I aren't aware of one in their current tooling range, please correct me if I am wrong) this might be the only chance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2021 at 12:20, TomScrut said:

Depends which one you want. The Collector's Club one might sell quickly.

A) It's a Collector's Club one

B) It's the only one they have announced so far that is preserved. Given they don't seem keen on releasing preserved BR standards (other than Evening Star I aren't aware of one in their current tooling range, please correct me if I am wrong) this might be the only chance.

Its funny how Hornby seem to avoid preserved Locos, other than the big namers (generally).

K1 and Q6 and B1 to name some that they've not touched yet. Granted preserved locos are generally a minefield of detail variations (and also difficult to use for the basis of "in-service" locos as well).

Paul. 

• Like 1

There seems a theme starting of preserved loco's being made for the Hornby collectors club, starting with the H class and now the Std 2 as both were the research base for the models. 

I would like to see more especially the S15 as 847 was inspected by them. 

Bachmann do have record for making preserved loco's across the main range and collectors club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

There seems a theme starting of preserved loco's being made for the Hornby collectors club, starting with the H class and now the Std 2 as both were the research base for the models. 

I would like to see more especially the S15 as 847 was inspected by them. 

Bachmann do have record for making preserved loco's across the main range and collectors club. 

Which in itself seems strange to me, as I would have thought the qty for a collectors club model would be smaller than a main range limited edition model, even if it was circa 1000 as seems to be the popular number these days, perhaps not.

I've mentioned it before, but it is interesting the change in quantities for limited editions that has happened in the last 20-25 years, editions of 3000-5000 were commonplace then, but now we have generally much smaller editions. 

Paul. 

Yeah, the thing is that I'd have thought the preserved market would be of decent size. I expect plenty of modern day modellers like either having a small "preserved" railway next to their main line or running a preserved loco on their main line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah, the thing is that I'd have thought the preserved market would be of decent size. I expect plenty of modern day modellers like either having a small "preserved" railway next to their main line or running a preserved loco on their main line.

......which would make a great deal of sense, considering an increasing percentage of members of the hobby will have only ever seen steam working in preservation. 

Paul. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Its funny how Hornby seem to avoid preserved Locos, other than the big namers (generally).

Not really. 5972 has 2 versions, 71000, 5043 as the Tyseley Collection, 7029 DCC Sound version, 4953 in the Tyseley Collection train pack, 6000, 6023 in the previous incarnation of the model, 4073, 4003 multiple times, C1/33001, 60103, the Great Gathering/ Goodbye collections. 

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Not really. 5972 has 2 versions, 71000, 5043 as the Tyseley Collection, 7029 DCC Sound version, 4953 in the Tyseley Collection train pack, 6000, 6023 in the previous incarnation of the model, 4073, 4003 multiple times, C1/33001, 60103, the Great Gathering/ Goodbye collections. 

We also now have 6201/46201 & 6203/4623 in LMS livery, 6229/46229(the rebuilt versions being exclusives), 70000, 70013, 673/65243 as well, plus Hornby are making a model of 92220 Evening Star & the replica P2 2007.

Edited by 9402 Fredrick

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

But the comment was "other than the big namers".

So we get lists of all the big namers....

Yep, no 4MT for example that I am aware of yet there are quite a few of those preserved.

The only black 5 I am aware of is 45379 yet there are loads IRL.

The other thing along side it being big namers is the fact they tend to be big locos too. One of the appeals of the CC 2MT is it's not that big.

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yep, no 4MT for example that I am aware of yet there are quite a few of those preserved.

The only black 5 I am aware of is 45379 yet there are loads IRL.

The other thing along side it being big namers is the fact they tend to be big locos too. One of the appeals of the CC 2MT is it's not that big.

some of the Fives have been made (some the WCRCo ones have), 5000 was part of the early batch, but otherwise no, for 18 preserved, they've not touched them, nor the 4MT as you rightly note as well. The Austerities are reasonably well covered conversely, a number of the examples in recent times, such as Lord Phil, are preserved locos. 

So yes, to my original point that Hilux5972 and 9402 Frederick Countered, Hornby hardly do preserved locos with the exception of the big namers. Shame really, as tie-ins with the NYMR, NELPG, SVR, all of those sorts of places with their bread-and-butter preserved engines would be a good move, in my opinion. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul_sterling said:

Shame really, as tie-ins with the NYMR, NELPG, SVR, all of those sorts of places with their bread-and-butter preserved engines would be a good move, in my opinion. 

Completely agree there should be more preserved locos produced. I'd be all over a model of 61264, even though it doesn't remotely fit modelling location/era, I'm just completely in love with it!!!!

It's not Hornby, but of the 2 rival Manors being produced I'm getting 7812 as of all the Late Crest offerings between Accura and Dapol it's the one I know best from multiple SVR visits

• Friendly/supportive 1

I think it's that tastes change.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s many of the Big Four steam locomotive models by Mainline, Airfix and Hornby were of preserved locomotives if there was a preserved example. The BR versions not as much though, probably because BR livery was unpopular at the time with both modellers and enthusiasts in general.

Then there was a time where you couldn't give away models of preserved locomotives and the bargain bins were full of them. Then BR liveried models became popular.

As an example Mainline, which in hindsight was a short lived manufacturer, managed to make this lot and there is probably one or two missing. All in the livery they were in at the time.

69023 Joem

6100 Royal Scot in Crimson

6115 Scots Guardsman in LMS Black

5690 Leander

7808 Cookham Manor

7812 Erlestoke Manor

7819 Hinton Manor

If you wanted a Hornby A3 it was 4472 Flying Scotsman or nothing.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Oh aye, I forgot the WCRC two and 5000, I nearly bought 5000 once too :scratchhead:

Still have mine, it was a present from the parents for GCSE results back in the day. Also the first loco I ever bought from Cheltenham Model Centre/Phone order. A lovely loco. 45253 followed, and I had 45455 for a long time, but have since sold it, and have 45157 now. 

Plenty of other preserved Black Fives that haven't been done, I would have liked 45212, 45428, 45305. Obviously you can renumber donor locos, but in a lot of cases of the preserved fives, you are down to a very limited number of potential donors to cover for dome position and top feed, just to name a couple of the more obvious variations. 

Paul. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Completely agree there should be more preserved locos produced. I'd be all over a model of 61264, even though it doesn't remotely fit modelling location/era, I'm just completely in love with it!!!!

It's not Hornby, but of the 2 rival Manors being produced I'm getting 7812 as of all the Late Crest offerings between Accura and Dapol it's the one I know best from multiple SVR visits

Magnificent loco (6)1264, always had a soft spot for it, although I almost had a falling out with it once on the way back from Whitby, she ran up to Grosmont (might have even been up to Goathland as well) with either a drain cock stuck open or a cylinder relief valve stuck open, the first two coaches were empty because of the noise! 

I've got a B1 ready to renumber, (though 61264 herself has been renumbered more times than i can count!), and a hum drum K1 I'm partway through renumbering as some no-namer that got preserved. 

Paul. 

• Like 1