New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

On 08/04/2022 at 01:03, simmo009 said:

Personally, I will not hold my breath. Having not seen that publication, just curious as to whether it states 'April' or 'April 2022'? Could be another year waiting for these.

That's why I quoted the full paragraph, as it gave a chronological sequence of expected releases - A1/3, 2MT, 9F. The 9F is due late summer 2022. This was part of a large article covering all the known planned items of rolling stock for the UK railway scene,by all manufacturers in four gauges.

EDIT. I should add that there is a table of the announced locos in the article and for the Hornby 2MT, it has April 22 as the expected release date.

Edited by rembrow
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Could they be leaving the website to show the later delivery to make it appear they're early? 

Potentially, but I could see that leaving a sour taste in some people mouths, as many people don’t have the funds readily available, especially when the release date is brought so far forward. Also let’s not forget how much the RRP has increased since the model was announced. 

On a more positive note I look forward to seeing the Hornby 2MT in the flesh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2022 at 08:36, rembrow said:

That's why I quoted the full paragraph, as it gave a chronological sequence of expected releases - A1/3, 2MT, 9F. The 9F is due late summer 2022. This was part of a large article covering all the known planned items of rolling stock for the UK railway scene,by all manufacturers in four gauges.

EDIT. I should add that there is a table of the announced locos in the article and for the Hornby 2MT, it has April 22 as the expected release date.

In reality with the way things are currently in China the only 'delivery' dates which make anything like reliable sense are those  given after the product has been loaded onto a ship and the ship is underway towards the UK.  Thus 'late summer' or 'August' are really nothing more than target dates  which might or might not be achieved for numerous (perfectly good) reasons although no doubt based on the intended final assembly etc date for the models

If, at present, an April date is being given then it is (hopefully) based on the fact that the products are onboard ship with a known scheduled UK arrival date.  Delay could still occur - again for all sorts of perfectly valid reasons - but at least the April date should be based on the fact that the product is actually on its way to the UK.

• Like 2

Until recently it said Winter 2022/23 on the website, now it says Spring 2023. So, 1 year difference between the Hornby website and the Hornby magazine article. Yes, I know they are not co-owned. The magazine are only relaying in good faith what they have been told by the manufacturer,  so either their website has been incorrectly updated, or someone at one end or the other didn't verify what year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had pre-ordered 78047 direct from Hornby when the model was first announced a few years ago as the prototype was a Hawick based engine, but I cancelled all my pre-orders with Hornby after they were unable to fulfil the Captain Tom pre-order.  More recent issues with Hornby quality control and steeply rising prices, plus I am getting older, means it is now unlikely that I would buy a Hornby 78xxx.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The latest social media post from Hornby doesn't mention the 2MT. It does include the A3 which was noted to be arriving by Hornby Magazine so next should be the 2MT right?

Doesn't really concern me as I have 78006 on order so that is Autumn 2023 regardless

461746942_Screenshot_20220425-1245162.png.c05bd64c4e3472ab3da62693bb488e8a.png

• Like 1

Well, that's April finished. Are we all enjoying our long awaited 2MT's? Oh wait, unsurprisingly nothing has arrived. Well done to Hornby and Hornby Magazine. Resume normal breathing patterns till next year.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, simmo009 said:

Well, that's April finished. Are we all enjoying our long awaited 2MT's? Oh wait, unsurprisingly nothing has arrived. Well done to Hornby and Hornby Magazine. Resume normal breathing patterns till next year.

I've found it's running to be amongst the quietest I've ever heard on a loco, ghost like in fact, like the rest of the model for that matter.... 

• Agree 1

Must say that given the delay and price-hikes, I'm glad I didn't preorder a  2MT to go with the Bachmann Ivatts I already have. And if I want another of that ilk, it'll be another Ivatt...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Must say that given the delay and price-hikes, I'm glad I didn't preorder a  2MT to go with the Bachmann Ivatts I already have. And if I want another of that ilk, it'll be another Ivatt...

I'm inclined to agree. I bought an ivatt late last year, having sold a 46521 when the Hornby 2MT was announced, but I'm happy with the black ivatt, so much so, I've cancelled my pre-order. Prices do rise, that's inevitable, over 25%? A bit of a jump to say the least. Not wanting to start a debate, but for me, pre-ordering should be a price promise, I commit to buy (I'd willingly lose the back out) if you commit to honour the price. 

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

I expect I will end up buying one when it does eventually appear, depending on circumstances.

However I must admit at present the delays and probable price are making me view it more as a ‘nice to have’ model, rather than a definite purchase.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Makes me laugh people complain about price rises. If you order direct with Hornby you don’t get price rises. I never have. Have quite a few things in order from last year and they haven’t changed the price on me. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Makes me laugh people complain about price rises. If you order direct with Hornby you don’t get price rises. I never have. Have quite a few things in order from last year and they haven’t changed the price on me. 

I dont know if thats by luck or design, but I do agree Hornby honour the price.

I feel its a bit unfair on the retailers though.

(Ive anecdotally heard they are restricted to certain discount thresholds, and so are not in a position to honour older prices).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2022 at 23:09, Hilux5972 said:

At the full rrp I reckon Hornby have already got stagflation built in! lol. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

At the full rrp I reckon Hornby have already got stagflation built in! lol. 

How long until we break the £1,000 barrier? It has not escaped my notice that a Bachmann Class 90 with the name Penny Black is mooted and that a first class stamp is not far off £1 (240 old pence, for the younger amongst us).

• Like 4

A 78xxx has always been on my "Grade A" wishlist, as a common sight at Cambridge until the closure of the St.Ives-Kettering branch. 3-4 years ago I picked up a Bachmann 464xx s/h at the Doncaster show; I also acquired a conversion kit from Crownline (though more suited to the Triang-Hornby model), and added the (unadvertised) parts from Judith Edge. I've got about 80% through a combination of those three, but had decided that the new Hornby one had to come as well. I'm now seriously thinking it won't, because of price rises (and I'm not one that usually moans about these), it has risen out of my league since I retired. Their loss, not mine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2022 at 10:43, Hroth said:

Ah! that's it - Bachmann are making them for Hornby, that explains the never ending delays 😂

Still "need" one to complete my BR standards but there's no rush ......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1