The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

But it says the alcohol content must be 70%. I think that might be a bit throat burning as well ;)

In any case isn't the alcohol used medically IPA at that concentration (isopropyl alcohol, NOT India Pale Ale!), which probably makes it an even less good idea to drink.

• RMweb Premium

One of the problems is many city dwellers normally shop on a just in time basis, that is they are lucky if they have a couple of days food in their freezer.. So now they are panicking .

Me /Us, we live out in the country we might get cut off by snow floods or other stuff every year.. There's about 3 months of food in the freezer..

Which reminds me I need to stop off and buy half a dozen swede on the way home.. (Corona virus or not)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

It would appear that the panic buying in some areas has now spread to Pot Noodles. 

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/04/panic-buying-begins-britain-rice-pasta-pot-noodle-stocks-running-low-12345052/?ico=pushly-notifcation-small&utm_source=pushly

You couldn't make this up.....

Pasta seems to have gone to the top of everyone's menu. I suppose it has near-infinite shelf-life, but Sherry found Lidl in Torquay was short of everyday pasta items. Perhaps it's in solidarity w poor Italy. 

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

One of the problems is many city dwellers normally shop on a just in time basis, that is they are lucky if they have a couple of days food in their freezer.. So now they are panicking .

Me /Us, we live out in the country we might get cut off by snow floods or other stuff every year.. There's about 3 months of food in the freezer..

Which reminds me I need to stop off and buy half a dozen swede on the way home.. (Corona virus or not)

I'm sticking with just buying what I need when I need it (don't live in a city but do live five minutes' walk from Tesco). I don't see any need to stock up as of now, that would be very overcautious IMO.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

It would appear that the panic buying in some areas has now spread to Pot Noodles.

Let us hope then that the Gubment has secret contingency plans to ensure the survival of those young fellows on building sites whose diet seems to consist entirely of Not Poodles, crisps and brightly-coloured fizzy drinks.

ETA - for those who aren't aware of this hopefully-trustworthy source of information ...

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Edited by spikey
addition

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/04/panic-buying-begins-britain-rice-pasta-pot-noodle-stocks-running-low-12345052/?ico=pushly-notifcation-small&utm_source=pushly

You couldn't make this up.....

The panic buying in Australia has led to many towns selling out of toilet rolls entirely and reports exist of some ridiculously inflated prices being charged by some situational entrepreneurs who have stocks available.  

On the other hand Kleenex have countered by showing their main South Australian warehouse (at least) is very well stocked meaning it is only s supply-chain issue (rather than a lavatory-chain issue?) and there is no national shortage.

But in a crisis Aussie mates always share anyway ..... :jester: 

• Funny 4

18 minutes ago, spikey said:

Let us hope then that the Gubment has secret contingency plans to ensure the survival of those young fellows on building sites whose diet seems to consist entirely of Not Poodles, crisps and brightly-coloured fizzy drinks.

ETA - for those who aren't aware of this hopefully-trustworthy source of information ...

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Oh no, I think I misread the information. I just covered my mouth and nose with my bent elbow while coughing, then threw my elbow away.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Possibly the difference here is that it concerns a matter of life or death - conspiracy theories related to trains or other commonplace happenings aren't likely to lead to panic and disorder on the streets but misinformation about a potential threat to everyday life is.

I don't think for one minute that RMWeb would be the source of public disorder from some ramblings on coronavirus, but all media outlets share the same responsibility to have a duty of care when it comes to matters of life or death.

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It's all very well to say, "The thread is full of made up rubbish you can ignore because it's in Wheeltappers" if you are a regular on here, but what if you aren't? What if you alight here via a search engine and end up in the middle of the thread - how are you supposed to know it's not a reliable source? Several people have commented in a manner that suggests they know what they are talking about, even when I know they have no more medical training than me. There are people who suffer from Health Anxiety who will be searching for information relentlessly, they will end up here.

OK, I do see what you are getting at (I did at the outset), but if we are going to suspend the normal practice of 'friends chatting' on this forum, perhaps you could put a suitably prominent notice up, asking all contributors who wish to comment on Coronavirus to make posts in the way that you have asked (eg. sure of their facts, links or other sources provided, no speculation and no personal opinions).

Like most other people, I've googled various diverse topics in my time and have followed the link, to what is clearly a forum. In such cases, the provenance of the comments on the thread was immediately apparent (ie. this is a non-expert forum and these are well-meaning lay people, not experts on the subject concerned).

So, perhaps also a 'warning' to any non-regulars who happen upon this thread, that this is not a 'medically informed' forum might be helpful?

Otherwise, what I will say, is that with a subject that does indeed (potentially) concern 'life and death', you are always going to get people commenting in a subjective way.

We are all only human and when faced with a potentially fatal disease that could affect any of us (and some would appear to be more at risk than others, according to published statistics), I don't think it's reasonable to expect the average, normal human being to be 100% objective. Ones own potential demise, or that of a family member or friend is hardly a matter from which one can completely remove subjectivity.

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

If you want to make stuff up, go to Facebook or Twitter.

Fair enough, Phil, but you surely cannot believe that I personally (or indeed any of the regulars contributing to this thread and who you may also feel have made inappropriate, unsubstantiated comments) was advocating 'making stuff up?' 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Otherwise, what I will say, is that with a subject that does indeed (potentially) concern 'life and death', you are always going to get people commenting in a subjective way.

We are all only human and when faced with a potentially fatal disease that could affect any of us (and some would appear to be more at risk than others, according to published statistics), I don't think it's reasonable to expect the average, normal human being to be 100% objective. Ones own potential demise, or that of a family member or friend is hardly a matter from which one can completely remove subjectivity.

Eating Cornish pasties will give you a fatal disease that kills 80% of those affected. FACT!!!

Is that subjective, or just inaccurate?

We're not plastering accuracy warnings all over the forum, people wouldn't read them if we did. All I have asked is that if you present something as a fact, you link to a source. If you can't provide a source then the chances are it's made up. We've had several useful links provided today so it's not hard to do. Maybe I'm being stupid and should just abandon moderating this forum, allowing to descend into a pool of wild made up "science" and conspiracy theories. Since that's what the users want, I'm out of here.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Fair enough, Phil, but you surely cannot believe that I personally (or indeed any of the regulars contributing to this thread and who you may also feel have made inappropriate, unsubstantiated comments) was advocating 'making stuff up?' 

I think it was keeping just the right side of 'making stuff up' right up to the theories involving the Chinese military, the Pharma companies and bond dealers came into the mix.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Eating Cornish pasties will give you a fatal disease that kills 80% of those affected. FACT!!!

Is that subjective, or just inaccurate?

Source material:  The Daily Mail. ;)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-438881/The-Royal-pasty-thats-unhealthier-Big-Mac.html

Edited by Colin_McLeod
To add smilie

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It is a fact that 100% of people who eat Cornish pasties will die.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

We're not plastering accuracy warnings all over the forum, people wouldn't read them if we did.

OK, it was just an idea, I was only trying to be helpful, given that it was you who expressed concern that non-regulars might get the wrong idea :-)

Edit - I've just noticed that Andy Y has put something up, along those lines.

All I have asked is that if you present something as a fact, you link to a source.

That's fair enough.

What I have been trying to express is the desire to continue to allow people to express an opinion, a view, their personal judgement on something, whatever. No problem if it's clearly expressed as that and not a fact.

If you can't provide a source then the chances are it's made up. 

That's simply not a fair statement to all the regulars on this forum, who post things in good faith. Granted, they may have heard it from someone else who made it up, but if something is clearly expressed for what it really is, where's the harm? It's a just discussion, and people do express views and opinions in such discussions.

We've had several useful links provided today so it's not hard to do.

Yes, I know and I did provide one or two myself, in response to your request.

Maybe I'm being stupid

No one has accused you of that.

should just abandon moderating this forum, allowing to descend into a pool of wild made up "science" and conspiracy theories.

That's simply unhelpful and I'm sorry if my attempt at having a civilised discussion on one aspect of this topic has led you to this conclusion, but I firmly maintain that I have never suggested that such an outcome is desirable.

Since that's what the users want, I'm out of here.

For what it's worth, it's not what I want, so please don't do that. :-)

Edited by Captain Kernow
Noticed something after original posting.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And that well meaning advice may have been provided with a link and STILL be wrong.

Andy York's message on each page of this thread covers it. Don't rely on this thread for advice on Coronavirus.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I looked at the newspaper stand in MK Central station on my way to work this morning and reminded myself of why I don't buy newspapers. Some of the headlines were clearly designed to feed a sense of fear and hysteria. And the Morning Star (bless it) seems to see the coronavirus as another lackey of our ruling over lords.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

What I have been trying to express is the desire to continue to allow people to express an opinion, a view, their personal judgement on something, whatever. No problem if it's clearly expressed as that and not a fact.

The problem, fundamentally, comes from persons choosing to cultivate conspiracy theories and misinformation from elsewhere, an example of which was this https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/149889-the-london-festival-of-railway-modelling-21-22-march-2020/&do=findComment&comment=3857364 in the Ally Pally topic. We shouldn't have to sit here as arbiters of what's fact or fiction but when I see something like that I've linked to I will shoot on sight. Some people don't bother to read something and then check whether it's correct or not, some just accept it and even worse some go on to repeat it*. At this stage none of us know what may happen over the next week or so and that's difficult enough but what is categorically not helpful is someone deciding they'll post something , see *. Stupidity in the extreme which is why we have anti-vaxxers and flat-earthers out there. The old War Ministry weren't wrong when they put up posters 'Careless talk costs lives'. I despair of some people some days.

We now have social media companies saying they'll take down 'fake news', too bloody late - they've been content to let it spread its cancerous infection for years to the extent of enabling targetted political untruths to reach the most gullible. A careless comment about an exhibition doesn't cost lives and livelihoods of course but it is a thin end of a wedge. In that context Phil is right, if someone wants to talk ******* they should go elsewhere and do it because it's just not our thing.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

15 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I think it was keeping just the right side of 'making stuff up' right up to the theories involving the Chinese military, the Pharma companies and bond dealers came into the mix.

In other words, it's all my fault. 

However, I did mention right at the start that I was the ultimate cynic - which is true. I take that view on all world events these days. That doesn't mean I just make things up. 

Before you all indulge in a mass shooting of the messenger exercise, the Coronavirus Pandemic Bond is real (however much you might not like the idea) and I provided a link to the description of how it operates, which I will repeat in order that some people might actually learn something  - https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/pandemic-bond-debate-inside-look-world-bank-coronavirus-relief-investment-2020-2-1028906657?op=1

Indian scientists have already investigated the virus and have stated (in their complex scientific manner) that the way it appears to have mutated between the animal and human form could not have been achieved naturally in such a short time. In fact, they have found the virus now circulating around the world to have been merged with certain proteins from the HIV virus.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1

Due to a massive outcry from government scientists around the world, the body of the paper has been withdrawn temporarily for further peer reviewed research to be undertaken; but a commentary on the original paper can be found here - 

https://greatgameindia.com/indian-scientists-discover-coronavirus-engineered-with-aids-like-insertions/

This is where the "shock horror" of the military and big Pharma involvement comes from. 

I'm afraid that almost 7 decades of life have taught me to take everything I see or read in the Mainstream Media (MSM) with a bucket full of salt, and so if there is one person who needs to be banned (for diverting attention from the 24/7 regular output of those bastions of truth such as the Daily Telegraph/Mail and the BBC) it is me. 

So please, go ahead, chuck me out - and in the meantime I will self-isolate. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Lantavian said:

In extreme cases, if people follow well-meaning advice given in good faith that's wrong, they may die.

49 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

And that well meaning advice may have been provided with a link and STILL be wrong.

Andy York's message on each page of this thread covers it. Don't rely on this thread for advice on Coronavirus.

Hi Chaps,

The concept of Triple A, is to Aquire, Asses, Accept.

I do like to think about what I find out about in life, just because a link is provided doesn't necessary make anything true any more than someone saying that the moon is made from green cheese may be true.

e.g. About five years ago I watched one of those "non peer reviewed" videos from a most unofficial source on You Tube that claimed various health benefits from simply tilting your bed to an angle of five degrees.

I thought about what the chap in the video had said and decided to perform a simple experiment by placing some six inch wooden blocks under the legs at the head end of the bed to assume the five degree angle.

The first morning after doing this I woke after full nights sleep not having had to go the the toilet at four in the morning and also noted that I the dull ache in my lower back was much reduced from how I normally felt. The next time I had a blood pressure test my resting heart rate was 56 BPM at 95/65 both being better than previous figures of 60 and 105/75. My back ache is also a thing of the past, in short all of the claimed health benefits proved out exactly as were set out in the video by the "crazy man".

The above shews to me that, all information is useful depending upon how the holder of that information applies it.

Authoritative sources are no more than people that have performed experiments to either prove or disprove theories just as I did in the example I have given above. Should tilting my bed at an angle have made me feel worse I would have set it back level, not that I claim to be an authority, just positive experience.

Everything I have read upon this thread so far, barring the direct insults, creative editing of my posts and the pernicious threats that have resulted, has been of interest to me and may possibly, depending upon my application of it, be useful to me and others.

Now that you have read this far you have Acquired all of the above information. You may now Assess it all by having a good think, comparing it with other verified information or situations you have experience. Once this is done you can Accept it for what it means to you in any way that suits you.

There is is, it is that simple, unless of course you prefer to sit in front of the idiot lantern swallowing it whole.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

Companies investing in Pandemic bonds is probably no different to companies investing in life assurance for their employees - if I die they profit, someone is always out to make money from misery.

On the other topics, I read a very good book "I am Pilgrim" along a similar vein>  Perhaps bad actors are simply sowing the seeds of confusion and doubt into this matter to see what happens - you know fake news.

Lets keep this thread to practical matters of the coronavirus and not get into whys and wherefores.

• Like 1