The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Premium

What is the westernised world coming to when there are near-riots over the absence of toilet paper from supermarket shelves?  The apparent lunacy behind this hoarding seems to be driven by a suggestion that folks will be forcibly confined to their homes for extended periods as has been seen in a few parts of China.  Even there, however, there are concessions to permit sufficient access to shopping that no-one should go short of essentials.  Corona Virus is not known to give you a dose of the trots so far as the public domain is aware.

It only takes one person to load a supermarket trolley with one commodity and the rest follow like sheep especially when there is a developing situation.  

The opportunistic resale of toilet paper is both blatant abuse of a situation and of the internet platforms in question.  It's a moot point but if what you have at home has been purchased using a credit card then it might not even be yours to (re)sell until the account is fully paid off.  Don't expect the Potty Police to come calling though.  

An interesting aside appeared on my BiL's antisocial media feed where he reminds us that 75% of the global population doesn't use toilet paper; many cultures use leaves or stones.  

The bum-roll shortage appears to be only a supply-chain issue as the major manufacturers have let it be known their warehouse stocks are normal.  Shelves can be refilled as quickly as supplies can be trucked.  The truck-load of toilet paper which caught fire in Brisbane was most unfortunate but is not thought to be ar$e-on.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Reorte said:

That's arguing that someone can make any claim they like and the burden of proof is on others to prove them wrong.

No.

That is arguing that someone can make any claim they like but only when supported by links to back up that claim, and those who wish to dispute said claim must provide similar links in order to do so. 

At the moment, people seem to be able to state "that claim is nonsense" just because they said so. Is that fair?

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

What is the westernised world coming to when there are near-riots over the absence of toilet paper from supermarket shelves?

I'm no longer surprised at the world so that wasn't the first question in my mind when I saw this pic on the BBC website:

spacer.png

It was more along the lines of "Jeez, just how much does the average Australian ****?"

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

It was more along the lines of "Jeez, how much does the average Australian ****?"

Not quite as much as their politicians spout  :jester:

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

What is the westernised world coming to when there are near-riots over the absence of toilet paper from supermarket shelves?  The apparent lunacy behind this hoarding seems to be driven by a suggestion that folks will be forcibly confined to their homes for extended periods as has been seen in a few parts of China.  Even there, however, there are concessions to permit sufficient access to shopping that no-one should go short of essentials.  Corona Virus is not known to give you a dose of the trots so far as the public domain is aware.

It only takes one person to load a supermarket trolley with one commodity and the rest follow like sheep especially when there is a developing situation.  

Clever initiative by the bog roll sales team....

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

I'm not disagreeing that these 'might' work for some people but it's a great example of inconsistency of remedies that can be found on the internet.

I'm going to cover all my bases and elevate both the Head and Foot of my bed. That's got to cure the Corono virus!

(Looking for the sarcasm button before AY MOD or Phil deletes this post)

I like it! But! the act of sleeping on an inverted, inclined plane allows the fluid on the lungs to drain away. Raising both feet and head will, I fear, be counter-productive. As I said, I've done it from a practical point of view, and it works for me. Naturally, other people will use other ways of dealing with this. Either way, you can't defy gravity, and I do know that fluid runs downhill.

Either way folks, keep safe & well!

Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I’m entering this thread very carefully due to the nature of how the virus is affecting many people. The new Bond film has been put back to November, and Crufts is going ahead but with two major sponsors withdrawing from the event. 

It’s certainly a worry for many, especially those with relatives in affected areas such as China and northern Italy. Regarding the latter, is it advisable to self-isolate if you simply pass through the category two zone (above the line from Pisa to Rimini) on your way to somewhere else?

As we approach horse racing season, with Cheltenham coming up next week and then the Grand National in mid April, I do wonder if these will be in special measures considering all of them attract thousands of visitors from all around the world. 

Edited by SVRlad

8 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

You're all wrong. That's Johnster buying Bachmann 94s......

Really? I thought it was a training exercise for the invasion of the Bachmann sales stand at Warley...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The opportunistic resale of toilet paper is both blatant abuse of a situation and of the internet platforms in question.  It's a moot point but if what you have at home has been purchased using a credit card then it might not even be yours to (re)sell until the account is fully paid off.  Don't expect the Potty Police to come calling though.  

An interesting aside appeared on my BiL's antisocial media feed where he reminds us that 75% of the global population doesn't use toilet paper; many cultures use leaves or stones.  

The bum-roll shortage appears to be only a supply-chain issue as the major manufacturers have let it be known their warehouse stocks are normal.  Shelves can be refilled as quickly as supplies can be trucked.  The truck-load of toilet paper which caught fire in Brisbane was most unfortunate but is not thought to be ar$e-on.  

Actually about 10% of victims are shown to suffer from the trots, but (and it is rather pertinent) it seems that you are most likely to suffer if you are in ICU, where I suspect availability of toilet paper is not the major issue that it might be elsewhere.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-symptoms/

Of course we could have 4 pages of debate as to whether this is due to the virus itself or the medications given to ease te symptoms or indeed the hospital food.  {where is the tongue in cheek smiley?}

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

No.

That is arguing that someone can make any claim they like but only when supported by links to back up that claim, and those who wish to dispute said claim must provide similar links in order to do so. 

At the moment, people seem to be able to state "that claim is nonsense" just because they said so. Is that fair?

Sometimes, yes. It all depends on who's making it and whether they've earned the respect to have their claims taken seriously - or have gone in the opposite direction. Carl Sagan's "They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown" applies.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

I'm not disagreeing that these 'might' work for some people but it's a great example of inconsistency of remedies that can be found on the internet.

I'm going to cover all my bases and elevate both the Head and Foot of my bed. That's got to cure the Corono virus!

(Looking for the sarcasm button before AY MOD or Phil deletes this post)

Raise one side of the bed and you'll wake up on the floor,

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Well .... according to the French meeja at lunchtime, it seems that Flybe has become an indirect victim of the disease. As I understand it, their financial position wasn't very good, but now with presumably a drop in traffic, they have been grounded.

How many more may follow in the UK and worldwide?

Regards,

Philip

PS: The source was channel 2 (france tv) their lunchtime news programme broadcast at 13:00 CET.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Links don't prove anything - they just link to potentially another piece of work/nonsense.  The fact that an article provides links or references doesn't per se make those links/references reliable - like anything both the article and the evidence they reference should be critically evaluated.

There are a million one crack pot theories out there on the internet, some of them in respectable-looking "journals" fully referenced etc but they are still nonsense...

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Philou said:

Well .... according to the French meeja at lunchtime, it seems that Flybe has become an indirect victim of the disease. As I understand it, their financial position wasn't very good, but now with presumably a drop in traffic, they have been grounded.

How many more may follow in the UK and worldwide?

Regards,

Philip

PS: The source was channel 2 (france tv) their lunchtime news programme broadcast at 13:00 CET.

AIUI FlyBe's been on the edge of failing for a while now so it didn't take much to push it over that edge. It may have  merely hastened the inevitable.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 3

@Reorte I think the thrust of my comment was on the basis that if there are other companies out there operating on a shoestring, how long before they go under too?

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Restaurants, hotels, cafes and virtually any shop on the high street.

Then add in all the companies that are addicted to Chinese products and parts - and tat of course equally covers companies that supply our craving for model railways.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Reorte said:

AIUI FlyBe's been on the edge of failing for a while now so it didn't take much to push it over that edge. It may have  merely hastened the inevitable.

Flybe only made a profit in 2 of the last 10 years, that's no way to run a business (unless you're a .com company). It was only a case of When it would fail..

• Agree 4

• Moderators

I posted this in the Ally Pally topic but it's relevant here too:

Off-forum discussions point towards some sensible precautions that anyone and everyone can take at any exhibition. Don't just make it someone else's responsibility to provide or protect. There's no need for panic reactions yet but the below are just sensible and reduce risks for all.

• If you feel unwell or consider yourself at risk of catching an infection make a sensible decision about whether it's wise to go out.
  • Wash your hands before you leave.
  • Take your own antibacterial gel for use after travelling on public transport or handling anything anyone else may have handled (inc. cash).
  • Avoid shaking hands with people - you may have something / they may have something and a refusal to 'shake' from one side or the other may cause offence.
  • Think about the barriers, everyone rests on them (usually with their hands). Avoid doing so or consider wearing disposable gloves.
  • Use contactless payments where possible, reduce your usage of cash at least.
  • Wash your hands at any given opportunity, dry them well.
  • Wash you hands before eating/drinking or any other facial contact.
  • Don't cough or sneeze on someone! Use your elbow as recommended if you feel any need.
  • Consciously touch as few things as possible.
  • Sanitise your hands on leaving and before getting on public transport or your own vehicle.
  • Wash your hands as soon as you get home.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 9

31 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

... add in all the companies that are addicted to Chinese products and parts - and tat of course equally covers companies that supply our craving for model railways.

Tat?  Tat ??!!   I can assure you, sir, that there is not even the slightest hint of tat upon my model railway.

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1