Going back to costs, there was an interesting item on BBC Radio 4 news about the costs and options for refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster. The committee to oversee the plans has been abolished and there was an interview with someone who was saying that no one was prepared to make a decision as they would get the blame!

Too many people frightened by big numbers again!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Going back to costs, there was an interesting item on BBC Radio 4 news about the costs and options for refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster. The committee to oversee the plans has been abolished and there was an interview with someone who was saying that no one was prepared to make a decision as they would get the blame!

Looking at the state of the place…..and this from somebody who had a job back in the late 70’s to photograph the seating refurbishment, tower and the broken clock mechanism I’d say they took the sensible route, the place is an absolute pit under the old charm style and thick layers of rat shite! :lol:

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

So they're just going to wait for nature to take its course? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The value for money test came back high on the structure, but they could find absolutely no value in the inhabitants past, present or future :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Now Now !

That's no way to talk about our elected representatives.

I always thought the saying was that the truth hurts ...

• Like 1

The HS2 website, interactive map has given an update on the progress of the Chiltern Tunnels TBM's.

Something isn't quite right with the figures given, which say that Florence and Cecilia have only progressed 5 and 4 metres respectively, in nearly a month.

At that rate it'll take over 7 years to complete the tunnelling ??????

The tunnelling rate is supposed to be between 10 and 15 metres per day.

???????

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Now Now !

That's no way to talk about our elected representatives.

I did get a very odd look from one of them when he wandered in while I was eating my sandwich perched on the afore mentioned seating……apparently no one but an elected representative is allowed to grace those leather covers with their rear end.

He didn’t say anything, just a look of disdain as this 20 year old kid in jeans and tee-shirt gobbled a sausage sandwich.  Mind you from what goes on now it’s probably not the first time he’d seen a sausage being gobbled down in that chamber :angel:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

apparently no one but an elected representative is allowed to grace those leather covers with their rear end.

This is true usually true, but there is one exception. MPs are the only people allowed to sit on the green benches except for Members of Youth Parliament during their annual sitting in the Commons. In 2019, this fell between the dissolution of Parliament and the general election, meaning there were no MPs, so the only people allowed to sit on the green benches at that time were 369 teenagers. It was probably the most grown-up conversation in that room for years!

I'll now make the usual joke about hot air as a source of green energy for HS2, so that it's at least tenuously related.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

This is true usually true, but there is one exception. MPs are the only people allowed to sit on the green benches except for Members of Youth Parliament during their annual sitting in the Commons. In 2019, this fell between the dissolution of Parliament and the general election, meaning there were no MPs, so the only people allowed to sit on the green benches at that time were 369 teenagers. It was probably the most grown-up conversation in that room for years!

I'll now make the usual joke about hot air as a source of green energy for HS2, so that it's at least tenuously related.

They probably weren’t allowed to eat their sausage sandwich on them though :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

We were forced to go to that place on a school trip and listen to the inmates squabaling very pleased when we left.We all wanted to go to  US air base but three of our masters were involved with CND  so that was that.

So much for impartiality in teaching.

Our teachers had much more  normal (?) interests.

One trip was a week climbing the Lakeland Fells

Another was a trainspotting trip to Manchester depots.

Next year it was the Welsh Valleys depots. (I missed that for some reason. Sob.:()

Most of the official school visits were to engineering companies or historical sites. Politics didn't seem to figure on the agenda.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

So much for impartiality in teaching.

Our teachers had much more  normal (?) interests.

One trip was a week climbing the Lakeland Fells

Another was a trainspotting trip to Manchester depots.

Next year it was the Welsh Valleys depots. (I missed that for some reason. Sob.:()

Most of the official school visits were to engineering companies or historical sites. Politics didn't seem to figure on the agenda.

Ah, school trips - amongst them I can count a tour of Filton Works and a stroll through the cabin mock up for Concorde (which weren't supposed to have done). Like Melmerby many were to historic sites or museums.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Ah, school trips - amongst them I can count a tour of Filton Works and a stroll through the cabin mock up for Concorde (which weren't supposed to have done). Like Melmerby many were to historic sites or museums.

We didn’t have many school trips, but we did go to Stonehenge once, back then all us kids could climb all over the stones…..we even tried to push one over, oddly we couldn’t get it to move :lol:

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

We didn’t have many school trips, but we did go to Stonehenge once, back then all us kids could climb all over the stones…..we even tried to push one over, oddly we couldn’t get it to move :lol:

Just as well, really, they'd only just finished building it ;-)

• Funny 6

I believe someone commented, a while back, on how poor HS2's environmental credentials were, suggesting that it would take one hundred years or more to reach Net Zero, despite using electric traction and being more environmentally friendly as a travel option, primarily due to the huge amounts of concrete/steel being used and the whole industry surrounding the construction.

Perhaps this Jan 2022 document will bring that number down somewhat, possibly by half:

https://www.hs2.org.uk/about-us/documents/net-zero-carbon-plan/

Essentially, three main things are planned -

1. All construction sites to avoid using diesel by 2029, starting with the first site this year.

2. Halving emissions from steel and concrete by 2030,

3. Sourcing zero-carbon energy for traction supply when services start running.

From 2035, HS2 Ltd will aim to eliminate carbon emissions as much as possible, and offset those that cannot be achieved by planting even more trees.

Ambitious, and open to criticism, but a sea change in what has gone before, and certainly streets ahead of comparable schemes abroad.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

1. All construction sites to avoid using diesel by 2029, starting with the first site this year.

I thought the Curzon Street build was already using electrically powered machinery.

• Agree 1