1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The Treasury won't be getting much fuel duty revenue when all vehicles are electric, or are they going to add duty to electricity prices?

Wait till the Budget - March 6th.

Brit15

57 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Where is Harvil Road. Does anybody know. 

Jamie

It may be this one [on the Eastern bank of the Colne Valley] with the red outline arrow pointing to it:

image.png.ebfe15cb6afd9d9c98ecae3d910f3466.pngWhat the film does indicate is that to build a mile of railway, it seems that you have to build at least a couple of miles of new road and a few bridges. Perhaps DfT should be taking this into account when muttering about costs.

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, that does make sense.  IIRC there's a stretch of cut and cover tunnel that goes under the road and ends very close to the start of the viaduct. 

Jamie

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks, that does make sense.  IIRC there's a stretch of cut and cover tunnel that goes under the road and ends very close to the start of the viaduct. 

Jamie

Harvil Road is on the eastern side of the Colne Valley, in the London borough of Hillingdon and had to be diverted to provide a road crossing over HS2, just off the eastern end of the viaduct.

A later change to the plan has resulted in the inclusion of the Copthall “Green “ tunnel, which commences where the diverted Harvil Rd. crosses the HS2 trace and extends eastwards towards West Ruislip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

"They'll make the whole country into a ULEZ. "

But that won't apply when all the vehicles are electric.

J

19 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

"They'll make the whole country into a ULEZ. "

But that won't apply when all the vehicles are electric.

J

Apparently, ULEZ charges don't apply to 90% of the vehicles using the roads in London now. It doesn't apply to my daughter's 09 reg. Suzuki Swift, for instance.

Edited by 62613
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another view of the newly diverted Harvil Road, showing the new bridges over the HS2 trace and the adjacent Chiltern Line.

This video clearly demonstrates that the Copthall tunnel serves no other purpose but to retain the original hillside profile, sloping from the left of the view, down towards the Chiltern Line on the right.

Hundreds of millions of ££££'s spent, rather than the original plan to simply have a cutting and re profile the hillside.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Hundreds of millions of ££££'s spent, rather than the original plan to simply have a cutting and re profile the hillside.

The French would've just gone over the top.🙂

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There was some discussion recently about how the OHLE would be supported and if headspans would be used.  I was down by the LGV SEA that runs from Tours to Bordeaux, a week ago.   There is a junction where TGV's going north from Angouleme join the high speed line, which I think is authorised for 320 kph.  These were the best photos that I could get.

This is of a section of the plain line before the junction. The chord that comes up from the classic line is in the foreground.

P2083699.JPG.49860dfd715bd3eb292e0c574dc71438.JPG

And this is the junction area with gantries.   The junction is only northbound.  The southbound spur goes off a couple of miles further south.  P2083700.JPG.81fca4dfa5e605baaac1bdccad9347a4.JPG

As far as I can tell each track is supported separately.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

For those whose stomachs are strong enough to read the full [probably] horror story of what went wrong with HS2, may i suggest reading pages 18 and 19 of this weeks "The Economist".

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Work in progress.

Building the head house and other infrastructure at the Chalfont St. Peter vent shaft (Chilterns Tunnels).

When finished and the site restored, the only evidence of HS2 work, will be some farm looking buildings, partially screened from the adjacent road.

Note: at the start of the video, you can clearly see the temporary, concrete fabrication factory buildings at the south portal (West Hyde), in the near distance.

Some of the London skyline can be seen on the horizon, above and to the left of that.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

We're still waiting for the first break out of the Chiltern Tunnels TBM's.

Today's report says that "Florence" has just 36 metres to go.

Progress at this stage will be very slow and careful, with the tunnel only a few metres below the surface and the TBM cutting through, between the lines of reinforced concrete Barrettes, previously piled into the ground around the final 100 or so metres of excavated route.

The other TBM, "Cecilia" is reported as having just 317 metres left (more than 20 metres per day) and should emerge at the north portal a few weeks after "Florence".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

52 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

More than 40,000 new homes could be built and 31,000 jobs created, the report by consultancy Arcadis said.

So get from London to Brum a bit quicker and the above will happen !!!!!!!!

Magic !!

Pity it's not going to Leeds, Manchester & Golborne etc. 

Brit15

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Forgive my cynicism, but I note the report was commissioned by HS2 Ltd., and prepared by Arcadis, one of the projects contractors. So not exactly independent!

I'm always dubious about these sorts of reports anyway, independent or not. How much of the supposed "extra" investment and growth has simply been lured from elsewhere? Answer, we'll never really know, but as with Freeports the answer seems quite possibly a lot.

John.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Another video from Karl Vaughan showing progress on the Thame Valley viaduct.  Rather good I think. 

The extent of this winters flooding certainly shows the need for a viaduct across the flood plain.  However the sequence of construction of the piers seems to be a bit random. 

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

Northolt West tunnelling...

TBM "Sushila" has passed the halfway point on its way to Greenford .

TBM "Caroline" is less than 500 metres behind.

Colne Valley Viaduct....

Apparently, there's a pause in progress, as the last span completed, requires re-tensioning of its cables.

It's been reported that the centre joining section, in the middle of the span, will have to be removed to accomplish this work.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Another video of the girder launch across the M42 that gives a lot more detail. 

Still no news of Florence.  I wonder if the delay is for PO. Itical reasons and if so how much the delay is costing. 

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1