The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

42 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Powdered Milk?

Why?

For what it's worth SWMBO always keeps a tin or two of dried milk.:)

By all accounts your good lady is in a minority.  I just checked our stock of Nido and it currently stands at 7 tins, which is 2 more than our normal pre-Covid level.  Anyone else for powdered whole egg?   

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/09/2020 at 15:23, Fat Controller said:

I went to our nearest Sainsbury's this morning, and noticed someone had moved everything; glad to see it's not just our branch.

When I was a manager in JS back in the 80's We used to do this because it makes people buy more. They go to where they were expecting to buy baked beans, find that is is now full of something they would normally ignore. they pick that up, put it in their trolley and then go and find the beans. Other tricks include putting the bakery at the back of the store and blowing air from the bakery out of the vents close to the door so that you smell the fresh bread and then place high profit items in the the aisle between the door and the bakery. Other tricks: Men buy things from n middle shelves women take from higher shelves so high profit items and placed according to whether they are bought by women or men. Remember all this stuff is from the 80's I sure that recent research arch means that the tricks are different today.

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

When I was a manager in JS back in the 80's We used to do this because it makes people buy more. They go to where they were expecting to buy baked beans, find that is is now full of something they would normally ignore. they picj that up, put it in their trolley and then go and find the beans. Other tricks include putting the bakery at the back of the store and blowing air from the bakery out of the vents close to the door so that you smell the fresh bread and then place high profit items iin the aisle between the door and the bakery. Other tricks: Men buy things fron middle shelves women take fra higher shelves so high profit items and placed according to whether they are bought by women or men. Remember all this stuff is from the 80's I sure that recent reasearch means that the tricks are different today.

I spent a few years in retail, so was aware of some of the tricks. What was mildly annoying was that some lines seemed to have gone into a black hole. As my sight is currently not at its best (I'm awaiting cataract removal on both eyes), I sometimes have to be looking directly at things to see them.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

When I was a manager in JS back in the 80's We used to do this because it makes people buy more. They go to where they were expecting to buy baked beans, find that is is now full of something they would normally ignore. they picj that up, put it in their trolley and then go and find the beans. Other tricks include putting the bakery at the back of the store and blowing air from the bakery out of the vents close to the door so that you smell the fresh bread and then place high profit items iin the aisle between the door and the bakery. Other tricks: Men buy things fron middle shelves women take fra higher shelves so high profit items and placed according to whether they are bought by women or men. Remember all this stuff is from the 80's I sure that recent reasearch means that the tricks are different today.

A friend of mine at university was involved in some proper studies into shopping behaviour - complete with sending people round a supermarket with eye-tracking headsets to see what they subconsiously looked at. I never heard the results of the study though.

Moving things round certainly doesn't make me buy more, it just annoys me!

• Agree 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The Tesco I have used these past 30 years has performed well throughout, apart from the early rush on flour, yeast and lavatory paper. But there is one very noticeable change, and that's the number of stock pickers fulfilling home delivery orders, my estimate would be 3 to 4x the pre-covid norm.. It's an ill wind and all that, more staff available nearby to ask for direction to rarely purchased or recently repositioned items.

When we had a Waitrose delivery (finally) about two months ago the lady driver told us the local Waitrose had been given another 12 delivery vans and the staff hired to man/woman them........still cannot get a reliable delivery slot from them though :resent:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Panic buying? 

My mum has just said they've got loads of toilet roll on offer in both Sainsburys and ASDA. Andrex 4 for £2.

So whoever is starting all these shortage rumours deserves horsewhipping.

Last weeks order at ASDA included a note from them saying they were OOS of the toilet rolls on our recurring order.

No tomato purée yet again and pasta was almost non existent apart from some high cost wholemeal stuff, it is happening again, so put that whip away for now or there’ll be a shortage of those also.

9 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Last weeks order at ASDA included a note from them saying they were OOS of the toilet rolls on our recurring order.

No tomato purée yet again and pasta was almost non existent apart from some high cost wholemeal stuff, it is happening again, so put that whip away for now or there’ll be a shortage of those also.

That's last week. Probably when the panic buying started.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/small-toilet-roll-4-6-rolls/andrex-classic-clean-toilet-roll-4-rolls/910002754220

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Unfortunately on the ASDA site a lot of the items do not show as OOS until you have completed your list and then you get a panel pop up with a list of the items you just ordered which are unavailable, bloody annoying.

This is our listed items.....still OOS

https://groceries.asda.com/product/large-toilet-roll-16-rolls/andrex-classic-clean-toilet-roll-18-rolls/910002754246

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

My local Tesco was a bit sparse in some areas at the start, which amongst other things meant no kidney beans to put in a chilli. They had a tin of black beans though, so they went in instead, and have been a feature of every chilli I've made since, and there have been quite a few of them. Delicious! So that's been a silver lining to the whole affair for me!

Frijoles con arroz! Almost nothing better.

• Agree 1

My local Co-op was fine for loo roll. Very low on milk though, which is something I really don't understand. Why would someone stockpile milk? Unless in a few weeks they're planning to corner the market in rancid-smelling cottage cheese in a bottle...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

My local Co-op was fine for loo roll. Very low on milk though, which is something I really don't understand. Why would someone stockpile milk? Unless in a few weeks they're planning to corner the market in rancid-smelling cottage cheese in a bottle...

It's not as if the cows have got coronavirus and stopped producing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

My local Co-op was fine for loo roll. Very low on milk though, which is something I really don't understand. Why would someone stockpile milk? 

Semi-skimmed will quite happily live in the freezer.

We usually keep 1 litre in there for times when we CBA to go shopping.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Semi-skimmed will quite happily live in the freezer.

You just have to let it defrost SLOWLY in the fridge. Don't nuke it in the microwave or leave it out to defrost and it'll be just as good as when you put it in the freezer.

I recently used the last bottle from the end of March without any problems.

Bread keeps quite well in the freezer too, just defrost it in the same way.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

You just have to let it defrost SLOWLY in the fridge. Don't nuke it in the microwave or leave it out to defrost and it'll be just as good as when you put it in the freezer.

Do you have to empty a bit out of the bottle before freezing, due to expansion?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Restrictions on quantities restarting

Morrisons is first to announce it.

They may have been first to announce it but I noticed last week (actually week before last, I am a bit time blurred presently, nursing a new knee in my hospital bed here, thank heaven Boris didn’t announce a postponement on elective surgery yet!) our ASDA order was restricted to three items on certain goods.........again.

• Friendly/supportive 3

For a while I found one pint containers of semi-skimmed hard to get.  Because I live alone I can't use more than a pint at a time without the milk going sour, so I ended up keeping the old one pint plastic bottles and decanting a four-pinter into three smaller bottles to freeze.  I soon learned not to fill the little bottles completely but to leave some room for expansion.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2020 at 19:25, boxbrownie said:

We have been buying our Kitchen rolls, bum wipes and cleaning solutions from Amazon, direct from the manufacturers, they come the next day if your a prime member, much easier and amazingly we have found cheaper.

Thanks for the tip which I saw yesterday. None in our supermarket, so ordered off Amazon with delivery today. Just checked a few minutes ago and Amazon EU have now sold out, but the profiteers have now moved in selling the same packs for three times the price at £60.

Edit: Meant to say we have kept milk in the freezer unopened and not had a problem. The plastic bottle expands but hasn’t split. Slow defrosting works fine and the bottle returns to it’s original size.

Edited by gordon s
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gordon s said:

Thanks for the tip which I saw yesterday. None in our supermarket, so ordered off Amazon with delivery today. Just checked a few minutes ago and Amazon EU have now sold out, but the profiteers have now moved in selling the same packs for three times the price at £60.

You have to very careful, I got two “new” sellers taken off Amazon during the lockdown for profiteering which is against Amazon rules, I didn’t think it would work but it happened.

• Like 3