The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies about asking this, but does anyone else on here have Anxiety issues anyway, regardless of this situation? I ask as I am in flight mode big time and it is not good. Distraction activity helps but...….

It would be really great if there could be an avoidance of mentioning the actual stuff as I am sick of 'the news' as if it is on continuous loop. I've given up and not listening to news, but by golly I do need the other radio stuff, drama music and non CV related items. Apologies if this offends anyone but it would be a lovely relief to just talk about other things. If I'm being anti-social then no probs, I shall move on and go elsewhere. Thank you.

P

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

I posted this in the panic buying thread but hope the Mods won't mind me using electrons to post it here as well.  I was more or less self-isolating last week as I had a bad cold (def not 'it') so got some practice.  Today I needed some fresh stuff.

Meanwhile back at the panic buying (or not).. I've just been to the 'big little supermarket' in Llandysul and it was noticeably busier than 10:30 on a normal Tuesday.  There were no pre-bagged potatoes (although a reasonable supply of loose) and citrus fruits were depleted rarther than empty.  Loo rolls depleted but not empty (though it's been that way since the initial rush).

My perception is people have been spooked a bit by yesterday's tightening of the screws a getting a small trolley worth to top up rather than panic buy.  No-one seemed to be going OTT with anything.  At the time I arrived I got the last small trolley whereas there'd normally be say half a dozen.   Hardly any big trollies in use.

After this situation has moved away to a much safer level, I wonder how long folk's behaviour might change? I understand that many have no choice but to concede to the demands of work and routine, however could things be different in a better way and if so, what could be better do you think? Could the NHS be recognised by the powers that be to be the treasure it really should be for example?

Take care all,

Phil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Apologies about asking this, but does anyone else on here have Anxiety issues anyway, regardless of this situation? I ask as I am in flight mode big time and it is not good. Distraction activity helps but...….

It would be really great if there could be an avoidance of mentioning the actual stuff as I am sick of 'the news' as if it is on continuous loop. I've given up and not listening to news, but by golly I do need the other radio stuff, drama music and non CV related items. Apologies if this offends anyone but it would be a lovely relief to just talk about other things. If I'm being anti-social then no probs, I shall move on and go elsewhere. Thank you.

P

I do to an extent. I can see your point, lets keep this thread CV free, there's two other threads to go into gory details if one wishes to visit. Apologies if anything I've mentioned has increased your anxiety, I will stick to the spirit of the thread - support.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about deliveries, specifically letters in this case (our postie doesn't wear gloves, for example), what I have been doing (when I remember), is to (a) not touch my face after handling the post and disposing of the envelope and (b) giving my hands a jolly good wash immediately afterwards.

Using disposable gloves is all very well, but unless you've got a large supply of them, you risk running out after a few days, unless perhaps you give the outside of the gloves a careful wash with some diluted bleach or other 'nasty' disinfectant, taking much care not to get it on your skin.

Oh, and I can't be the only one who's now developing dry skin, due to the amount of gel and handwashing that is now being done?

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh sorry buddy. I just get blipped so easily at the moment. It is just that there is so much chat elsewhere as you say. When I was doing my second round of CBT a couple of years back, catastrophising was the big enemy. Thanks for your post matey.

P

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 57xx said:

I do to an extent. I can see your point, lets keep this thread CV free, there's two other threads to go into gory details if one wishes to visit. Apologies if anything I've mentioned has increased your anxiety, I will stick to the spirit of the thread - support.

We need a banner at the top of the page like those @AY Mod has put on some other threads.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Perhaps we should all build a module then exhibit them at an event next year.

Perhaps I should actually get on with my bl#### layout instead of groaning on and on and on and on...….6 years and counting and suddenly I feel very time limited....argghhh!

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thinking about deliveries, specifically letters in this case (our postie doesn't wear gloves, for example), what I have been doing (when I remember), is to (a) not touch my face after handling the post and disposing of the envelope and (b) giving my hands a jolly good wash immediately afterwards.

Using disposable gloves is all very well, but unless you've got a large supply of them, you risk running out after a few days, unless perhaps you give the outside of the gloves a careful wash with some diluted bleach or other 'nasty' disinfectant, taking much care not to get it on your skin.

Oh, and I can't be the only one who's now developing dry skin, due to the amount of gel and handwashing that is now being done?

I can recommend Almond or Coconut Hand/Skin Cream. Our Pharmacy has it at just £1 a large pot. I use it so that I actually smell like a nut as well as being one most of the time...…………………….:wacko:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Perhaps I should actually get on with my bl#### layout instead of groaning on and on and on and on...….6 years and counting and suddenly I feel very time limited....argghhh!

6 years? You're doing well. Check out when I started my N gauge thread! The baseboards are still bare.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Mindful of His Duckiness concerns about anxiety (which I have also encountered), I offer the following for debate:

- Horst is 74, self-isolating in his house and has not gone out of the door or had any direct, physical contact with anyone else for 14 days or more

- Gunther is 72, also self-isolating in his house and has also not gone out of the door or had any direct, physical contact with anyone else for 14 days or more

- Both gentlemen live in a relatively rural part of Prussia, live fairly close to each other and have known each other for a long time and have a high level of mutual trust etc.

- After 14 days (or more), both gentlemen declare to each other that they both feel fit and well and that they have not had any direct physical contact with anyone during that time

So, what's to stop Horst from walking out of his front door, onto his drive, getting into his car (which hasn't been used for 14 days) and driving to Gunther's house, parking on his drive and visiting his friend?

Alternatively, if he lived close enough, Horst could walk down to Gunther's cottage, especially as there are few, if any, pedestrians at certain times of the day and visit him that way.

Of course, Horst may have taken a delivery from a virus-infected employee of the Prussian Postamt, but perhaps he hasn't, or if he has, he's taken copious care to avoid infecting himself from the outside surface of the letter or parcel (he really wanted that Hornby Peckett, by the way, he's always modelled British prototypes).

Equally, Horst's car may break down en-route, necessitating the calling of the Prussian ADAC to repair the VW or perhaps haul it to Wolfgang's garage in the nearby village of Arschhausen, thus increasing Horst's exposure to the outside world.

But equally, Horst has always prided himself on getting his relatively new VW regularly serviced and it has never broken down on him before, so he reasons (in 'risk assessment' mode), that a breakdown is unlikely.

He also considers purchasing a campervan, so that if he does break down on the way to Gunther's house, he could simply live in the van for the next however many weeks (but that could cause problems, as he would still have to take Brunhilde, the dog, for a walk, and Frau Horst would not be too pleased at having to do all the ironing by herself back at Schloss Horst).

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 11

On 16/03/2020 at 15:46, Neil said:

We seem to be living through uncertain times. After doing some research and a lot of thinking over the weekend, Jan (Mrs R) and I have decided to self isolate ahead of any governmental advice. We're younger than the suggested 70 year cut off point but Jan has one of those underlying conditions, heart failure, so an infection would hit her hard. One of the things that troubled us was telling our friends that we would be withdrawing from social life. Turns out that two of them were of the same mind and the others have been very supportive. My guess is that a good number on the forum will have had this thought or will be having it imposed on them in the non too distant future. I thought it might be worth starting a self isolating support group for those who find themselves a bit shut away from other social contact. As well as not feeling alone with the issue there may be practical advice to be had. I'd like to think we could damp down the sorts of ill informed  fears which have led to panic buying and instead work out how to tackle issues such as how to take sufficient exercise when stuck in at home, in a positive and productive way.

On 16/03/2020 at 15:46, Neil said:

Harsh decisions for everyone - I will be raising a glass to everyone's life decisions from a local quiet rural hostelry then back to my tired terrace house on the Fylde to continue some isolated ballasting. Off back in to work tomorrow as aircraft manufacture currently isn't possible in the garage.

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Mine's about the same. Just off to a big tin shed before I get grounded as I have realised that I'm almost out of PVA glue and have about 25 yards of ballasting to do.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If Horst & Gunther lived in France - in which case they might have different names - they would henceforth, if leaving their garden gate, be required to carry an attestation (a self-certificate) justifying their impertinence in doing so. 100,000 policemen, say the Government, have been mobilised to detect any breach of this law. Fines start at 38 euros and go up to 4-figures. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Mine's about the same. Just off to a big tin shed before I get grounded as I have realised that I'm almost out of PVA glue and have about 25 yards of ballasting to do.

That's a good idea, I'll do the same, just got the baseboards down so prepping now for track-laying--will need to get some orders in for more track too, a box of Peco 00 Bullhead and some matching points will keep me going for a bit... who knows, I might even see some trains running in the not too distant future!

cheers,

Keith

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m not going to stop walking my dog so I use a gloved left hand to open gates to footpaths and an ungloved right hand to attach and detach the dog lead. The glove is sprayed with isopropyl alcohol which will disinfect latches as I go. I respray it  it on my return. I still haven’t worked how to use the little green poo bag without cross contamination so I will ask the dog to poo in it herself. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’m not going to stop walking my dog so I use a gloved left hand to open gates to footpaths and an ungloved right hand to attach and detach the dog lead. The glove is sprayed with isopropyl alcohol which will disinfect latches as I go. I respray it  it on my return. I still haven’t worked how to use the little green poo bag without cross contamination so I will ask the dog to poo in it herself. 

IPA will evaporate in a very short space of time, so are you repeating the spraying on a regular basis?

• Informative/Useful 1

Having last night sampled the first bottle from our latest batch of home brew (Munton's Wherry, since you ask, and very nice it is too, thank you), I am reminded to suggest home brewing to those who haven't tried it.  Doesn't need a lot of kit, it's a doddle to do, and the counter to wifely (partnerly?) objection is - 50p a pint :)

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

It is raining here, which:- If it's an airborne malady; can be beneficial to the public at large. There are several reasons for this, such as people are naturally discouraged from leaving the house. 

With a flu-like epidemic, have a really good look at the NHS site about Pneumonia, and how to avoid it. It's all plain, common sense stuff that we are having drummed into us every day.

From a 'mechanical' point of view, I'll repeat a post I did a few days back: That is, raise the foot of the bed. The reasoning is that your body, while at rest, takes up a natural draining event. The natural inhalation & exhalation of the lungs should loosen any liquid, and help  keep your airways clear. 

As we used to say in the foundry:- "Sh!t runs downhill". 

The degree of bed elevation is down to the individual's level of comfort, but the bed here is some 6" (150mm) above what is normally considered level. 

Personally, I always use a hard pillow (as firm as possible) and arrange it such that when asleep, I'm breathing into a 'free air' space.  I've had severe Asthma  from the age of 9, ie, all of my life. 

I'm not a doctor, or a medical professional, but I did once travel on the top floor of a double-decker bus, all by myself. 

Stay safe, everybody,

Ian.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, spikey said:

Having last night sampled the first bottle from our latest batch of home brew (Munton's Wherry, since you ask, and very nice it is too, thank you), I am reminded to suggest home brewing to those who haven't tried it.  Doesn't need a lot of kit, it's a doddle to do, and the counter to wifely (partnerly?) objection is - 50p a pint :)

Well if we cant go the the boozer and the beer mountain in TESCO is decimated it is a good time to start.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

You have my total sympathy, it must be awful to have anxiety issues on top of everything else. I'm sure that we will all be alert to your sensitivities and will try to minimise the doom and gloom, and frame things in terms of the positive actions we can take. The intent of this thread was to be as inclusive as possible, to support each other; please stick with us and if it starts heading off in a direction which causes stress please say so.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it might help if we share links to some favourite railway videos?

Here is a link to 'This is York' - 

And another favourite of mine - Snow - 

And staying on a wintry theme - 'Snowdrift at Bleath Gill' - 

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 5050 said:

As an 'old giffer at risk' I will be avoiding social contact as much as possible but will be walking quite a bit and had hoped to start getting out on the bike now the weather is (hopefully) improving.  However, I've been thinking that if I had an accident of some sort on the bike then this would probably result in some form of hospitalisation which would not be 'a good thing' and probably detrimental both to me and the NHS.  I will curtail my cycling to spells on the turbo-trainer in the shed and spend the rest of the time pleasing myself - and Mrs 5050 - with modelling, reading, scrabble, cards and watching repeats of Midsomer, Poirot, Endeavour and Minder (plus assorted others).

It's likely that the roads will be much safer than usual as everyone will be working from home and not going out to the pub...

3 hours ago, Killybegs said:

If we need to buy more food we go to the supermarket early before the rush. Worryingly, the girl on the checkout had a nasty cough.

So management should bounce her straight home pdq, with anyone working in the shop who's been in close contact self-isolating.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4