The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

You can tell the active ones, they just aren't aware of any kind of temperature deprivation.  Our 14 yr has to have it's shorts locked away from the 1st Nov every year.....   I'm waiting until she hits 21, then we will see.

As a youngster, I went to St Lukes PE College and 3 of us decided we would swim every single day in the, outdoor unheated, pool.  That went really well and was, genuinely, great fun...  until...  the Christmas break.  When we got back from the 4 week break, the body had lost most of the gradual acclimatisation, gained during the previous term!  Got changed, all three in together..  and all three out faster than a seal chased by a Killer Whale!  {By way of partial excuse, we did have to break half an inch of ice before we went in.}  Now, in excess of 2 score and ten, I have to brace, before jumping in, with her, into a pool in Sicily, in the late Summer.  there are some really great things about old age, but that just isn't one of them.

Julian

In my teens we went swimming in an open air pool  in winter at Whipps cross.It was covered in leaves and freezing .My friend suddenly turned blue .Literally a blue colour and he started sinking .We hauled him up by his hair and got him out OK  but really scary .I suppose the attendant should have called an ambulance but we revived him OK with some tea .With Whipps cross  Hospital just over the road he was probably safer not going  .The place was filthy  in the 60's -70's ,probably later .

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Anybody else have a household in their road that aren't doing anything recommended by the Government?

They go out in the evenings, last weekend one spent a weekend away and they have had visitors to stay over twice recently.

Rules aren't for them, they are the black sheep of the road.

I would like to shop them as they are IMHO dangerous to others around them but my missus said don't you dare, nothing to do with us.:scratchhead:

When they do get a dose you can hang a banner on your front gates/fence/wall/hedge (delete as appropriate) which reads:

"They told you so - but you knew best.....twats"

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

When they do get a dose you can hang a banner on your front gates/fence/wall/hedge (delete as appropriate) which reads:

"They told you so - but you knew best.....twats"

In one way I rather hope they get a dose that affects them somewhat, in another I don't want it anywhere near our road.

I would think I am vunerable (approaching mid 70s & partly Asthmatic.)

• Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Has anybody on here had one of the Government's letters?

If so what were the criteria for getting one? (if you don't mind saying).

I am surprised I haven't received a letter because I'm diabetic, have psoriasis and high blood pressure (which is a big factor in SARS-COV2 fatalities), I have a free flu jab every year and I take methotrexate which is an immuno-suppressant. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

In one way I rather hope they get a dose that affects them somewhat, in another I don't want it anywhere near our road.

I would think I am vunerable (approaching mid 70s & partly Asthmatic.)

Our neighbour got one, she's 70+ and on a maintenance dose of drugs to keep cancer in check.. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Why do I feel like a lottery winner?.....:D

I’ve had Common Variable Immune Disorder (CVID) for over 30 years.

Strange thing it’s not changed my life one bit until now.....

I’ll scan the list of conditions later.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

No, was expecting one at least, we have two vulnerable and two extremely vulnerable in the house.......maybe the snail mail from No10 takes longer to reach the outposts?

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

I am surprised I haven't received a letter because I'm diabetic, have psoriasis and high blood pressure (which is a big factor in SARS-COV2 fatalities), I have a free flu jab every year and I take methotrexate which is an immuno-suppressant. 

Yep, Mrs BB spoke to her Consultant on Thursday (by phone) and he told her she was in the extremely vulnerable category and should have had a call from NHS support (whoever that is) regarding help with shopping and medication deliveries, absolutely nothing......not even from Boris.....he doesn’t call, he doesn’t write.......

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Our neighbour got one, she's 70+ and on a maintenance dose of drugs to keep cancer in check.. 

So is my Mum and she’s 92.......she lives with us and we are her carers thankfully, heaven help her in hospital or care home if this stuff gets loose in those!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Now there's a thing, Robins, too, at least the 2 pairs round here.

Aaannnd another thing, we all know about Magpies hording shiny things and a few others, however, how many of us knew that House Spaggers bring shiny presents for their partners?  We have a pair that did their courting on the corner of the house guttering, well why not, most of us have tried far more uncomfortable places.  I noticed an alloy clip, about 1/4 inch by 3 inches lying by the bin.  The immediate thought was one of those clips that stop the outer tiles from falling off.  A check revealed none to be missing and a day later, another one appeared on the bonnet of the car.  Several more appeared the next day.  I decided to watch and during their trysting sessions, eventually saw her waiting on the corner {no further comment here} for him to arrive, with varying amounts of kerfuffle.  On one occasion he turned up with one of these clips and put it down, in the gutter and a short while later they flew off.  He went first, followed by her, but not before she had reached down into the gutter to lift the clip and throw it over the edge, how ungrateful can she get?  They stopped visiting a few days later, so if anyone in the Old Sarum area is missing a number of alloy clips, just mention it and I can return them from whence they came.

Julian

Morning Julian. What amazing behaviour by the Sparras. It was the large colony of they birdies that started my deeper interest in watching Birds about 14 years ago. Sitting in the Conservatory I began to notice their 'habits' and one was this sort of communal sing song in the big hedge every afternoon at about 14.30; could almost set yer watch by it. Then I noticed the males feeding their(?) female as if it were a fledgling, around nesting time. 

Then there were the Martins and the Swift that were numerous locally back then and after a few years realised they came at almost the same time every year and also left almost to the day towards the Autumn.

Quite ordinary, every day things that I now look upon as so precious.

P

• Like 2

Hi P,

They are truly remarkable creatures.  We took our {then} young lass down to Studland beach a couple of years ago.  Whilst wandering the edge of the sea, we watched Terns diving to catch Sand-eels.  They were good and came up with them every time and I was well impressed, Sand-eels are quick little blighters.  What was also very impressive was that, no matter how they had to twist and turn on entry to and in the water, they always came up facing into wind...  every time.  What spacial awareness to achieve that and get he increased air-flow over their wings to climb away.

It's often said that birds can't complete a roll, or loop.  Most of them seem to comply with that idea, as I found, when my 5ft model glider was attacked by a Red Kite.  It was really aggressive and I had a long full on combat to cope with and some really near misses, as well as using the slope to keep height.  Diving and turning kept it at bay, as it was heavier and I could keep inside it on the turn, but the b*****r just wouldn't give up, giving my friend such a laugh he could no longer stand.  It eventually went away after I dived, waited until it was also committed to the dive and hauled back to do a really tight loop, to come up behind it, as it slowed down in the climb, trying to follow.  It didn't like that and a couple of loops later it peeled off and I could relax and land it after a pretty frantic ten minutes. 

However, there is at least one Buzzard which could loop, down at White Sheet near the National Trust place at Stourton,  We went there most weekends, due to the slopes facing from nearly South to N-West.  There were a couple of Buzzards, which looked to be pretty local and often came over while soaring.  Occasionally they would get mobbed by the Crows and mostly just fly away, until the Crows got fed up.  We were just arriving one day and two of the Buzzards were flying along the slope, being mobbed, when one of the Buzzards dived away then looped to behind the Crows.  The Crows were spooked by it and it was their turn to scat.  We could only assume the Buzzards had learned by observing our gliders.

Julian

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Yep, Mrs BB spoke to her Consultant on Thursday (by phone) and he told her she was in the extremely vulnerable category and should have had a call from NHS support (whoever that is) regarding help with shopping and medication deliveries, absolutely nothing......not even from Boris.....he doesn’t call, he doesn’t write.......

Sadly there seem to be many promises of things that should happen that so far haven't. In these circumstances it seems to me that we need to take care of ourselves and by ourselves I mean wider society rather than narrow self interest. It looks like supermarkets are getting on top of home deliveries and instigating proper social distancing for those visiting their shops. A gratifying number of community groups have sprung up to offer deliveries and collection of prescriptions etc. If you're unable to volunteer you can still play your part by staying at home and minimising social contact. Keeping yourself safe and free from infection means that you won't be passing it on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Neil said:

Sadly there seem to be many promises of things that should happen that so far haven't. In these circumstances it seems to me that we need to take care of ourselves and by ourselves I mean wider society rather than narrow self interest. It looks like supermarkets are getting on top of home deliveries and instigating proper social distancing for those visiting their shops. A gratifying number of community groups have sprung up to offer deliveries and collection of prescriptions etc. If you're unable to volunteer you can still play your part by staying at home and minimising social contact. Keeping yourself safe and free from infection means that you won't be passing it on.

Indeed, and my point was that this magical official “help” that is supposed to be available to the very at risk is non existent, we have a local town aid group which we have not yet tried (mainly because I do not think honestly we are any where near the worst off in this regard) but online shopping from the big supermarkets is still very patchy and over booked, we have been so far relying on local shops which is good for essentials but useless for things like toothpaste, bleach, kitchen rolls etc etc.......let alone the booze! :(

I ran out of Auchentoshan over a week ago ^:help:

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

When we got our home delivery last week it was almost like a time machine.  I can vaguely  remember when I was young (about 5) living in New Waltham, my Mother would prepare a shopping list and I would take it over to the local grocery store about 3/400m away every Tuesday I think.  On Friday or Saturday some lad would show up on one of those bikes with a carrier on front and back and with the groceries my mother had ordered in a box or bag that we left with the store owner.   Then the Supermarkets and self service came. 

On a more practical note, I don't know how good your gas (petrol) is but over here it is recommenced that if it is going to sit for more than about 4 weeks you add Gas Stabilzer.  This is supposed to stop the water attracted associated with the Ethanol from separating out.  The gas in both our vehicles is already two weeks old and based on the Ontario Governments projections yesterday (not good at all) I can see the gas not being replaced for anywhere from a month to three months. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

hello all.

Today I may have good news for some ppl, After filling out that registration on the gov.uk site acouple of weeks ago, I was thinking that it might have been a waste of time.. but no. The good news is I received a text from HMG stating that my registration had been acknowledged and they would be adding me to the list of vunerables that supermarkets look at to checkup. plus notify my GP . And, Low and behold, Asda sends me a text this afternoon informing me I have a something called a vunerable priority pass, and that if I cared to login, I would be able to not only have priority over slots but also be able to enable repeat delivery slots every week/time. Wonderfull, I would add that a current account with the supermarket group is probabley necessary, so too late if the markets near you have closed out new accounts. but It really helps to know I can get food now, albeit, whatever is left on the shelves.

So, I hope this gives people hope for the future for keeping up the Stay @ Home  Stay Safe.

(maybe i'll get some actuall muddling done soon :) )

all the best.

Roger

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1