The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

The only thing I can suggest is get SWMBO to schedule a room for decoration..........shall I wash my mouth and thoughts out now? :lol:

Bought and moved in to a new "project" house last year - 6 months work whilst we lived on our boat - truly everything is done!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, halsey said:

Bought and moved in to a new "project" house last year - 6 months work whilst we lived on our boat - truly everything is done!

Blimey you did well.....we’ve been in our “new” house 5 years and still not completed, then again that’s more to do with actually getting hold of tradesman and screwing down timings than anything else........bit frustrating though as all my life I liked doing diy and decorating but now with my balance issues if I try and look up without holding onto something I fall over.....sort of mucks up trying to paint walls and ceilings!

To top it off I was supposed to have two new knees fitted this year, and it appears the operations have been cancelled, cannot imagine why.......:rolleyes:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Blimey you did well.....we’ve been in our “new” house 5 years and still not completed, then again that’s more to do with actually getting hold of tradesman and screwing down timings than anything else........bit frustrating though as all my life I liked doing diy and decorating but now with my balance issues if I try and look up without holding onto something I fall over.....sort of mucks up trying to paint walls and ceilings!

To top it off I was supposed to have two new knees fitted this year, and it appears the operations have been cancelled, cannot imagine why.......:rolleyes:

It helps that SWMBO worked for a local general contractor until recently - I'm currently waiting for another new hip which should have been pre op in April and op in May - that's not going to happen so I'll keep taking the tablets if I can find them!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, halsey said:

It helps that SWMBO worked for a local general contractor until recently - I'm currently waiting for another new hip which should have been pre op in April and op in May - that's not going to happen so I'll keep taking the tablets if I can find them!

It’s a bu33er ain't it just?

Thank heaven for toy trains :lol:

• Agree 2

I'm currently drinking to the fact I've just been let off the hook by telephone by the Consultant Oncologist about my latest liver cancer  CT scans 

dh

Edit an hour or so on... 

Look, I honestly don't deserve all those hearts at the bottom    >>>>>>

Cos I've been celebrating !  Staying put, sitting and thinking I'm lucky  ( at other times I just sit & ... hic)

The funny part was the Oncologist Dr Nicola Crosti turned out not to be a woman despite earlier phone calls (obviously from a secretary).

My earlier face to face sessions had been with female  junior Doctors but this was the big Consultant himself so we spent most of the phone call chuckling over my mistake.

I looked him up after: from University of Pisa, I imagined his grandad inventing the Crosti boiler.

:diablo_mini:

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, halsey said:

There are always 2 sides to every coin - good to read your positives - I am positive its just knowing my basic character I worry about having railway fatigue in 2 months time 

Have you thought about opening up another model railway front on the change as a good as a rest principle? I've got a main project (British OO) and a smaller, portable one  (Belgian HO) on the go at the moment. I'm also hatching plans for something to give my small collection of Lisbon trams somewhere to run. This time of year I enjoy time spent in the garden too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Neil said:

Have you thought about opening up another model railway front on the change as a good as a rest principle? I've got a main project (British OO) and a smaller, portable one  (Belgian HO) on the go at the moment. I'm also hatching plans for something to give my small collection of Lisbon trams somewhere to run. This time of year I enjoy time spent in the garden too.

Valid, but not for me - there is loads to do so I think I will just go slower and cut the hours a bit and that will be BIG for me - then do sample testing a bit more (weathering in particular) rather than go at it "bull at a gate" and that will reduce my effectiveness by 50% i.e. everything will take twice as long an alien concept but right for these times ……..

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Have you thought about opening up another model railway front on the change as a good as a rest principle? ... I'm ... hatching plans for something to give my small collection of Lisbon trams somewhere to run. This time of year I enjoy time spent in the garden too.

If you have a rockery it would be brilliant pretending steep windy bits of the rockery to be Lisbon route 25 - winding up hill and down around steep windy streets on a circular route!

Lisbon and Porto are my mostest favourite European cities.

dh

• Like 2

I have devised a 17 km bike route with 350m of climbing that keeps me within a 2km radius of the house (as per Irish Gov requirements for exercise). There are a couple of 'there and back sections' but I don't go into town and there are some great views. Quite a lot of people out walking in the sunshine today.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

I have devised a 17 km bike route with 350m of climbing that keeps me within a 2km radius of the house (as per Irish Gov requirements for exercise). There are a couple of 'there and back sections' but I don't go into town and there are some great views. Quite a lot of people out walking in the sunshine today.

Talking to one of my colleagues his children have hardly bothered walking the dog before recent events now the poor thing has sore paws! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Talking to one of my colleagues his children have hardly bothered walking the dog before recent events now the poor thing has sore paws! 

My heart was for the dog.... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My fitness levels have plummeted since the middle of last year; cranky hip my only excuse as it really inhibits my walking. I am in awe of John' cycling stamina as \I can just about mange to keep going for a few miles on the flat!

Anyway I actually decided to look up the Joe Wicks Workout on YT; for over 50s. Ten minutes and actually quite good for someone that is struggling at the moment as new Meds are making me feel carp and so tired.

Just did it and it has helped. He does a range including Chair Exercises too. I know he is doing great things with the young uns and families in the mornings and every penny he makes from these at the moment he is donating to the NHS in some way.

Phil

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Decided to really get going on the garden this year as there will be plenty of time.

I've already got two large compost bags full of garden clippings etc. and there will be a lot more.:)

Decided to sign up for the local council garden waste collection as we cannot now take rubbish to the tip.:no:

B*gger, as from this week the council have stopped collecting garden waste, all my neighbours had their bins out expectantly and no collection.:(

Local garden centres are saying they will have to bin this year's seedlings as they are now closed. Why can't they devise some sort of delivery sustem?

There must be plenty of idle vans/drivers available. With suitable social distancing it could be done

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, halsey said:

Just thought I'd share - I am a recent (returned/retired/slightly physically challenged) modeller and my preferred routine is app 4 hrs a day 5 days a week winter months only

This period of lockdown is putting pressure on my love of the hobby as it feels like the only thing I have to do that gets me out of the house and out of my armchair - I don't want to kill off my enjoyment by doing/achieving too much over the next 12 moths and not having a break...…………...

Am alone feeling like this - I have been self isolating for 5 weeks now - I do accept that my going to the shed is keeping SWMBO happy!

Others are far worse off than me I know and would love to have my problems but it feels very real to me.

BTW - just joined RM Gold and bought SWMBO a factory recon iPad so I will inherit her 3 yr old one - that will give us both a new "toy" and help with wider contact.

You are not alone.  Sometimes I get in the 'mood' but for the most part I find I am doing it more to keep my mind and body occupied that for enjoyment and I don't seem to be getting any sense of accomplishment out of it.  Its almost surrealistic.  I also seem to be more tense as evidenced by a mild case of TGN as a result of tensing my jaw.  The good news though it is there.  I cannot start to imagine what this must be like for someone who has no hobby or a hobby that they cannot practice at home

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Based on my analysis of the data that have been analysed from China and other countries, I believe over here we are about to enter a two week growth period of that which must not be named  (sure enough just seen the latest local and national numbers).   So I decided to play the old fart and get my 1st home delivery.  Only two things not available, cucumber and brown bread.  Very efficient,  e-mail my local grocery store this am, they pick it out in the store and town employees delivered it about an hour ago.  Happy Camper although now I have to figure out how to get more beer.  It keeps disappearing.

• Like 4

Bit of a mixed day, awake at 03:30 worrying about stuff, after an hour of lying there in the dark came down to do some modelling and absolutely everything I touched turned to cr4p. Got depressed, irritated and angry with myself and the world in general. Drank a gallon of coffee, so was now wired, depressed, irritated and angry. Spent the day in the garden where in contrast to the modelling, everything went ok. Beginning to wonder where I am going to get builders sand, ballast and cement, topsoil, compost and various garden products now that builder's merchants and garden centres seem to have closed - is nowhere still open? Felled and logged a diseased willow so will now have enough logs for at least the next 2 winters even if they do ban wood sales. Came back in late afternoon and had another stab at the modelling and undid all my cack-handed fumblings from the morning. Madame trawled the deep recesses of the bottom of the freezer so we had tagliatelli with nearly out of date lobster & prawns in a garlic butter and mushroom sauce for tea, delish! Have just had a large bourbon & coke and am contemplating going and getting another one for medicinal purposes to help me sleep tonight. Strange experience this isolation lark...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Theakerr said:

figure out how to get more beer.  It keeps disappearing.

Mine keeps doing that as well; somebody's drinking it.  Probably me...

Not a bad couple of days; moved the aquarium to the other side of the room, fishes all settled in and happy, and finished my Parkside Fruit D.  Rest of the week to paint it, garden sorted, if I'm not careful I'll start thinking about relaying the fiddle yard.  I'm actually enjoying the 2 metre separation as I hate crowds and jostling.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Wadworth brewery of Devizes Wilts have set up a virtual pub, calling it ‘The Henry ‘ on Facebook, lots of amusing posts, but the good news is that they doing a post free beer delivery service, in bottles or two sizes of  small pins. And fruit cake.

Got to keep them going, they own the two pubs in my village!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Bit of a mixed day, awake at 03:30 worrying about stuff, after an hour of lying there in the dark came down to do some modelling and absolutely everything I touched turned to cr4p. Got depressed, irritated and angry with myself and the world in general. Drank a gallon of coffee, so was now wired, depressed, irritated and angry. Spent the day in the garden where in contrast to the modelling, everything went ok. Beginning to wonder where I am going to get builders sand, ballast and cement, topsoil, compost and various garden products now that builder's merchants and garden centres seem to have closed - is nowhere still open? Felled and logged a diseased willow so will now have enough logs for at least the next 2 winters even if they do ban wood sales. Came back in late afternoon and had another stab at the modelling and undid all my cack-handed fumblings from the morning. Madame trawled the deep recesses of the bottom of the freezer so we had tagliatelli with nearly out of date lobster & prawns in a garlic butter and mushroom sauce for tea, delish! Have just had a large bourbon & coke and am contemplating going and getting another one for medicinal purposes to help me sleep tonight. Strange experience this isolation lark...

Perhaps a multi- purpose sign on the "engine shed" door for you (and SWMBO!)

"DON'T enter - unless you are in the mood!"

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

My fitness levels have plummeted since the middle of last year; cranky hip my only excuse as it really inhibits my walking. I am in awe of John' cycling stamina as \I can just about mange to keep going for a few miles on the flat!

Did I not mention that I now ride an e-bike! The beauty of an e mountain bike is that I can work as hard or as little as I wish depending on gear and motor support mode selection. It really comes into it's own on hills and into head winds. On the flat I will often be travelling above the speed at which the motor cuts out (15mph) anyway.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

35 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Thought this might cheer people up...

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pathogen_resistance.png

Pasta, and toilet roll.... :^)

Had a deep Bourbon-assisted sleep, was woken by the sound of the tanker emptying the septic tank (a relief in more ways that one!) and it is a lovely still day out there so am looking forward to having a massive bonfire. :^)

• Like 2