The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, polybear said:

Butter and Marmite, both spread on when still good and hot so they melt into the little holes....

Yes, lovely.....but not for breakfast.....crumpets are not a morning consumable......I shall write to my MP about this outrage......never mind Coronavirus......crumpets in the morning is very serious breakdown in society  :lol:

• Funny 4

6 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, lovely.....but not for breakfast.....crumpets are not a morning consumable......I shall write to my MP about this outrage......never mind Coronavirus......crumpets in the morning is very serious breakdown in society  :lol:

But I've always looked forward to a bit of crumpet in the morning!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst looking for something yesterday I came across my old sandwich maker which makes those lovely crisp at the edges squashy inside tasty treats.

It was all cleaned thoroughly and switched on. It started to warm up nicely then the mains tripped and all the lights went out! 

Hum ho! 

Edited by Re6/6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

No Marmite here! Keep meaning to bring some back from the UK but always forget. Have to make do with Bovril. Nice on hot buttered toast with a bowl of home made soup.

Just lately I have been craving, and indulging in a nice hot cup of Bovril for my bedtime drink.......no idea why, but it tastes lovely with a dash (double) of Gin in it.........unfortunately we ran out of Gin about three weeks ago, and the bovril is on its literal last scrapings :(

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Repeat after me Marmite on toast..... Marmite on toast..... Marmite on toast.....

You know it makes sense(tm)!

Oh yesssss, and lots of it.....nice and thick, none of this wafting a microscopic speck of marmite on the knife half an inch over the toast and call it covered!

A very good number of years ago we were on holiday with our friends, we both had a couple of kids and we drove to the West coast of France regularly, we stopped for a picnic at a rest area on the way down and out came all the stuff, our friends daughter likes marmite and they had one of those tiny little pots along with the jams and stuff, anyhoo I got this pot and fancied marmite on my roll, so in with the knife and twirl it around and onto the roll, lovely loads of marmite, about half the pot, the look on the daughters face was one of horror........I had taken half the pot, apparently that pot was for the whole holiday......I thought they had brought lots of little individual pots for the duration.....oops 

Apparently she didn’t like it that much and literally just the smallest smear went on with her bread......bloody amateur.

I actually managed to find a big pot at the campsite we were at the next day......she still has never forgiven me :D

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jcredfer said:

We like our Royal Air Force to be good at what they do - and that needs constant practice, which is why they are so very good.  When you see them pass close overhead, give them a wave, they can see you very well from up there and will appreciate the gesture.

Being on a hillside at the head of the Nadder valley and just south of Salisbury plain we regularly have Chinooks coming up the valley, turning and flying back, presumably on training runs. When I was out in the garden the other day one came lower than I've seen before on a thundering banking turn below the level of the treetops on the hill across the valley from us, so close you could count the rivets. :^) An experience only matched by standing lineside being passed by a Deltic on a 12 coach express on full throttle, or being "buzzed" by the Avro Vulcan flying at rooftop height en route to an airshow a few years back.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Apparently she didn’t like it that much and literally just the smallest smear went on with her bread......bloody amateur.

I have converted Madame to the heresy of drizzling Marmite on cheese toasties before putting them under the grill - bubbly crispy yeasty cheesey goodness.  Mmmm :^)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

Being on a hillside at the head of the Nadder valley and just south of Salisbury plain we regularly have Chinooks coming up the valley, turning and flying back, presumably on training runs. When I was out in the garden the other day one came lower than I've seen before on a thundering banking turn below the level of the treetops on the hill across the valley from us, so close you could count the rivets. :^) An experience only matched by standing lineside being passed by a Deltic on a 12 coach express on full throttle, or being "buzzed" by the Avro Vulcan flying at rooftop height en route to an airshow a few years back.  

A few years back we were at the NRM York and the parking was atrocious......found out why about an hour later as a Chinook landed in the car park next to the building, had a few goes at it obviously trying the safest and best landing, apparently about a week or so later the PoW was visiting.......by chopper.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

I have converted Madame to the heresy of drizzling Marmite on cheese toasties before putting them under the grill - bubbly crispy yeasty cheesey goodness.  Mmmm :^)

I spread a bit on the toast first, then add the cheese and under the grill......lovely stuff :wub:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

A few years back we were at the NRM York and the parking was atrocious......found out why about an hour later as a Chinook landed in the car park next to the building, had a few goes at it obviously trying the safest and best landing, apparently about a week or so later the PoW was visiting.......by chopper.

Lots of landing practices, makes for safe PoW.

I was listening in on the Ops Desk radio, whilst 4 large twin engine a/c {95ft wingspan + 2 x very loud 2.000 HP donkeys with open exhausts} were droning around the circuit practising.  Not the most exciting occupation in the World, perhaps illustrated by the use of a stop-watch, when downwind, level with the threshold, to measure 30 seconds before eventually turning into finals. Suddenly, in amongst the other calls, Downwind, Finals etc came "I'm F*****g p*ssed off." followed, immediately by the controller "Last caller give your callsign!!"

Pause...

"I'm not that pissed off...."   :rolleyes:

They never did get anyone to confess to that one.

Julian

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, melmerby said:

I wonder what's going on here?

An RAF Globemaster ZZ171 has taken off from Brize Norton and done several low level circuits around Exeter Airport before flying to Birmingham and doing the same:

1280155151_planeflight1.JPG.2fc54f141279a6f5b5be1aa082fb73c1.JPG

It's now on it's way back to Brize.

Where it is now doing the same.

EDIT updated

I noticed that there was one of the RAF passenger/cargo/refuelling jobbies from Brize Norton doing circuits over the North Sea near Aberdeen earlier in the week.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, jcredfer said:

We like our Royal Air Force to be good at what they do - and that needs constant practice, which is why they are so very good.

We regularly see them out in large transports doing the Dambusters run over the Derwent Reserviors when we are cycling round there.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

We regularly see them out in large transports doing the Dambusters run over the Derwent Reserviors when we are cycling round there.

That must be very tempting to drop something, to see how it might bounce.....  

Julian

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

They must keep missing.........:lol:

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

At least they got their info from an official source :lol:

“The exact nature of its mission in Manchester this afternoon is unknown but according to Greater Manchester Wing air cadets Facebook page it was performing 'instrument approaches' at the airport‘

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Killybegs said:

No Marmite here! Keep meaning to bring some back from the UK but always forget. Have to make do with Bovril. Nice on hot buttered toast with a bowl of home made soup.

Never tried Bovvy, nor Vegemite.  Do either have taste similarities with The Real Deal?

6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Never tried Bovvy, nor Vegemite.  Do either have taste similarities with The Real Deal?

Bovril has a distinctive flavour but is vaguely similar. An Aussie will tell you that Vegemite is best but a Kiwi wouldn't be seen dead drinking it (and I would tend to agree with the Kiwis).

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, at least they don't "taste like chicken".

I don't find Bovril at all similar to Marmite. And I would not consider using it as a spread. I only drink Bovril when ill.

I prefer Vegemite to Marmite but don't often see it for sale in this country.