The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Premium

This is how the coastal tourist spots were patrolled for non conformist Isolationers here in the east today

image.png.8737e13395dd629ce787d6a13f16dc43.png

ANICT.

(Anti Non Isolationist Cooperative Tourist mode).

As far as we know nobody argued.

Wing Co. Dasterdly

• Funny 4

We lived in Newmarket and the highlight of gone year was always the Mildenhall Air Show. As a local we used all the back roads to get into the show, but the traffic was incredible down the A45 and A11. We moved away in the late 90’s, but am sure 911 put a stop to the shows.

Wonderful to see the Blackbird and the later, the Nighthawk. Fabulous day with no end of barbie food and beers. Sadly missed......

I also bowled several times on Mildenhall and Lakenheath. Once you went through the gates you were in the US........

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I also bowled several times on Mildenhall and Lakenheath. Once you went through the gates you were in the US........

I used to visit the base at Upper Heyford. The airfield was on the opposite side of a public road to the offices and accommodation facilities. The road was patrolled by armed US military people. I never heard of an incident but it could have been "interesting".

Bernard

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, gordon s said:

When I worked for BT we used to get equipment in from areas that had contact with US bases, It was not unknown for the piece of telecoms kit to have had the input voltage changed to 110v to work on the bases but back in the real world the guys forgot to re-select the 240v input.

You can guess the rest.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

The farm borders Lakenheath and been bowling several times there, amazing to see the shops and prices of goods there but.......no buying, as UK citizens you couldn’t get the stuff off the base (but you could buy and EAT as much as you liked), also have had a few err impromptu landings on the farm also!

• RMweb Premium

We had an American major on our radar station, he got us playing baseball.  First inter section then playing the above mentioned,  American bases home and away.  We were very happy when we beat one of them... 

In my current job we receive equipment all over the world for calibration ( including from the remaining bases) ,  goods in are supposed to look and see if it's 110V or 240v and put a label on if it's 110V . We are supposed to check if it's 110V or 240V but every so often there's a puff of smoke..  Luckily I've never done it,  but then I don't do that many customer units.  The more modern stuff is auto ranging .

• Like 2

Steph had a call this morning asking her to go to our local hospital instead of the Donegal Town. Not surprising, I suppose, as half their nursing staff , including the the two top people, are off with the virus. She assures me they do have all the PPE stuff. However, I am now going to have to take self isolating from Steph very seriously!

On a lighter note, I spent the weekend building a mountain bike trail in the garden. Had to lop off a few branches and widen a path and put in some banking on the one hairpin bend. Otherwise it uses existing paths, driveway and one set of steps! Its only just under 200m long, we don't have that big a garden!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

On a lighter note, I spent the weekend building a mountain bike trail in the garden. Had to lop off a few branches and widen a path and put in some banking on the one hairpin bend. Otherwise it uses existing paths, driveway and one set of steps! Its only just under 200m long, we don't have that big a garden!

Really?

:)

• Friendly/supportive 1

My son eventually got home last night - from the Democratic republic of Congo where he has been working at an oil production facility. What a journey he had in various surreal settings.

He flew out before the virus threat became a big concern in February. He should have been home four weeks ago but has had several flights cancelled during this time. No problems in the DRC, and they all just carried on working "as normal"

On Saturday Air France organized a flight from Kinshasa to Paris, temperatures checked, masks worn etc.  He had a written note from his employer to be landside in Paris during transit (lockdown)  The flight was on time. He stayed overnight in a hotel airport, restaurant closed though food delivered to room, again the place was virtually deserted. One flight only to London yesterday, half full. Heathrow terminal 4 virtually empty, quick journey to Euston via Heathrow Express & Tube to a deserted Euston (about 30 people in the whole station !!). £91 walk on fare to Wigan (though cheaper if he booked for a later train). Avanti Trains were running a hourly service to Crewe, then a bus Crewe - Warrington - Wigan - Preston. He had the Pendolino coach to his self and only 3 other people on the bus. I drove to Wigan NW last night to pick him up - streets deserted, station open, all lights on but deserted not a soul there. Only one train on the board, a local to Manchester which nobody caught and several later rail replacement buses to Crewe & Preston

His bus arrived 10 mins early. only him got off, no one got on - then a quick drive home through an empty town centre.  He was amazed !!

A big thank you to all those involved in his journey home - My son was lucky in that his company organised and paid for everything, many others are "on their own". and thoughts to the thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of people stranded in far flung places right now seeking ways home.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Well, I suppose not small either, about two thirds of an acre. We do live in a rural area where building plots tend to be larger.

Just try not to get too giddy :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

It's Thai new years day today, so may I  and all my family wish you all a  happy  Sawasdee pee maï !  -  (Happy New Year).

It's year BE (Buddhist Era) 2563 !!

new-years-fireworks-wat-arun-thailand-tr

The new year holiday is 3 day event over in Thailand, called songkran and normally many, many celebrations occur, lots of water throwing and fun, this year curtailed over there. My wife is Thai and we normally have a house party / BBQ with friends and neighbours - lots of Thai food cooked by wife & her friends, even the cook from the local Thai restaurant  is invited.

Alas not this year - we will have a BBQ with ourselves only, it's sunny though a bit of a cold breeze is blowing.

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I hope this quote from the official ONS website will help to relieve some of the stress, as it shows that covid-19 is not affecting the overall death rate in the UK.

(The main virus thread has been locked, so I couldn't post it there). 

"The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 20 March 2020 (week 12) was 10,645; this represents a decrease of 374 deaths registered compared with the previous week (week 11).

The average number of deaths for the corresponding week over the previous five years was 10,573; this means that the overall number of deaths in week 12 of 2020 was slightly higher than previous years."  

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending20march2020

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2