The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, lovely.....but not for breakfast.....crumpets are not a morning consumable......I shall write to my MP about this outrage......never mind Coronavirus......crumpets in the morning is very serious breakdown in society  :lol:

You obviously don’t shop at Waitrose, where crumpets are shelved in the section marked “Morning goods”. 

Although alongside toilet paper and cleaning products, crumpets have been in very short supply recently. :(

Paul

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Baby Deltic said:

image.png.7d8010886e0e5cf2f96087d56fc0b11d.png

Mind you, there's something else in Scunthorpe.....

Strange.

I thought today was Friday..............:D

And dont mention Penistone

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Never tried Bovvy, nor Vegemite.  Do either have taste similarities with The Real Deal?

Bovril is made of Ground up cows........

Vegemite is made in Oz

Nuff said:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to spectacular RAF stunt flying, many years ago I was returning from a volunteering holiday on the SVR, route  by bus Bewdley-Hereford via Leominster.  The driver was a full on Brummie with the accent, and had never been past Bewdley before, so he roped me in as route knowledge pilot.  If you’ve ever been this way you’ll know that the road goes a good way up the side of  Titterstone Clee Hill, and on that day the views were splendid; we were both enjoying ourselves hugely.  

There was this noise.  It got louder, very quickly.  Then a jet fighter overtook us going like a bat out of ‘Uddersfield, flying about 50’ below and not much more to the left of us, and disappeared on it’s sheep bothering mission over Wales.  ‘What’ asked the driver, in a very good Jasper Carrot, ‘the fook was that’???  

A hawk, I think’.

’Nah, moite, birds don’ moike that much noise.  Oi reckon it were a ploine’!

West Bromwich Albion 1, Cardiff City 0.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Back to spectacular RAF stunt flying, many years ago I was returning from a volunteering holiday on the SVR, route  by bus Bewdley-Hereford via Leominster.  The driver was a full on Brummie with the accent, and had never been past Bewdley before, so he roped me in as route knowledge pilot.  If you’ve ever been this way you’ll know that the road goes a good way up the side of  Titterstone Clee Hill, and on that day the views were splendid; we were both enjoying ourselves hugely.  

There was this noise.  It got louder, very quickly.  Then a jet fighter overtook us going like a bat out of ‘Uddersfield, flying about 50’ below and not much more to the left of us, and disappeared on it’s sheep bothering mission over Wales.  ‘What’ asked the driver, in a very good Jasper Carrot, ‘the fook was that’???  

A hawk, I think’.

’Nah, moite, birds don’ moike that much noise.  Oi reckon it were a ploine’!

West Bromwich Albion 1, Cardiff City 0.

Not just the sheep. I had a similar experience in July 1971 when in the Brecon Beacons with the school CCF annual camp. Quite something to have a jet fighter aircraft come that close when at full speed.

• RMweb Premium

In the Lake District the RAF use the route up from Morecambe bay/Windermere/Grasmere/ Dunmail Raise/Thirlmere/St Johns in the Vale/Keswick/Bassenthwaite/Workington and back out to sea.

Those not in the know get a shock as several jet fighters in quick succesion roar overhead at low level.

They only ever seem to go in that direction.

Sometimes you get C130s (several) sometimes Helicopters.

34 minutes ago, melmerby said:

In the Lake District the RAF use the route up from Morecambe bay/Windermere/Grasmere/ Dunmail Raise/Thirlmere/St Johns in the Vale/Keswick/Bassenthwaite/Workington and back out to sea.

Those not in the know get a shock as several jet fighters in quick succesion roar overhead at low level.

They only ever seem to go in that direction.

Sometimes you get C130s (several) sometimes Helicopters.

It can be particularly frightening when they fly below you, especially if you are on a difficult bit of rock!

• Agree 1

Buccaneer pilots were the low flying kings and loved outrageous behaviour.  When I started, we did the first 30 hours on Chipmunks, rather small and light.  After 20 hours they started to introduce more adventurous things, like inside cloud and aerobatics.  Because there were quite a number in the air at any one time, there was a designated area for the students to fly in, so other planes should keep out unless under radar control.  In this area, my instructor was teaching some aerobatics, when looking to the right, to make sure the wings were level I watched as a Buccaneer altered course to fly through the centre of the loop!!!    (:ohmyclear: :ohmyclear: )

Julian

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Buccaneer pilots were the low flying kings and loved outrageous behaviour.  When I started, we did the first 30 hours on Chipmunks, rather small and light.  After 20 hours they started to introduce more adventurous things, like inside cloud and aerobatics.  Because there were quite a number in the air at any one time, there was a designated area for the students to fly in, so other planes should keep out unless under radar control.  In this area, my instructor was teaching some aerobatics, when looking to the right, to make sure the wings were level I watched as a Buccaneer altered course to fly through the centre of the loop!!!    (:ohmyclear: :ohmyclear: )

Julian

Didn’t clip your wing did he?  All fine then......grow up :lol:

One of my Uncles was in the FAA just after the war on a carrier in the Pacific during the bomb tests.......leukaemia got him and several of his mates in the 60’s  :(

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

04:15 was a bit juicy.......:good_mini:

I was at Biggin Hill the last time a Lightening broke the sound barrier at an air show, it must have been in the mid to late sixties at least.....no sound at all.....then it past.....then your ears exploded.....absolutely brilliant.

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Fenman said:

You obviously don’t shop at Waitrose, where crumpets are shelved in the section marked “Morning goods”. 

Oh but we do, all the time....never noticed that.....I shall be having strong words with the manager next trip......whenever that will be!

:D

34 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

04:15 was a bit juicy.......:good_mini:

I was at Biggin Hill the last time a Lightening broke the sound barrier at an air show, it must have been in the mid to late sixties at least.....no sound at all.....then it past.....then your ears exploded.....absolutely brilliant.

WHAT DID YOU SAY??

Julian

• Funny 1

48 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Didn’t clip your wing did he?  All fine then......grow up :lol:

One of my Uncles was in the FAA just after the war on a carrier in the Pacific during the bomb tests.......leukaemia got him and several of his mates in the 60’s  :(

Wings in fine feather and watched the skill with appreciation and a smile for the cheek {both inside the Chipmunk area and though the middle of the loop.}.  It was a Buccaneer, so safe hands, just enjoyed the view and appreciated the skills.  The USAF have many more reasons to find the appearance of Buccaneers much less to their pleasure, however.....  :blink: 

On the other note, those tests had many Service Personnel at varying distances, to discover what the effects might be on military capability.  Your uncle was, sadly amongst many who paid the very real price for that information.  Given what was already know about radiation, it was seen to be needed information at the time, but was a disgraceful way to go about obtaining it.

Julian

This self isolation keeps taking me on trips down memory lane.  Last night the wife and I wanted a snack as we watched U-Tube and for some reason I thought of Spam sandwiches.  Spam for picnics, spam for work, spam for supper, spam and Marmite, spam and Branston Pickle. Spam and xxx.  So we had a span and tomato sandwich. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

This self isolation keeps taking me on trips down memory lane.  Last night the wife and I wanted a snack as we watched U-Tube and for some reason I thought of Spam sandwiches.  Spam for picnics, spam for work, spam for supper, spam and Marmite, spam and Branston Pickle. Spam and xxx.  So we had a span and tomato sandwich. 

Ruddy Vikings.....  :jester:

• Funny 5

1 minute ago, Theakerr said:

See, Lockdown isn't as bad as people have been complaining about.  Get real...   get Marmite, get Spam {and don't neglect Bacon Sarnies...  white bread, fresh, butter, big mug of breakfast tea.....   Lindt Hazelnut chocolate for elevenses.....   oh!!   :wub:

Julian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

don't neglect Bacon Sarnies...  white bread, fresh, butter, big mug of breakfast tea.....

Nahhhh....

Bacon and black pudding toastie, with a splash of HP sauce and a mug of fresh coffee!

Reminds me, get some more bacon and black pudding tomorrow...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Nahhhh....

Bacon and black pudding toastie, with a splash of HP sauce and a mug of fresh coffee!

Reminds me, get some more bacon and black pudding tomorrow...

How do you know what we had for dinner tonight?????   We really did, too.

On the up side, we do have enough Black Pudding for another go very soon......  Yeah!!

Julian

20 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Spam spam spam spam spam spam 

Lovely Spam!

• Funny 2