The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

39 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Piggy blood....

I like the black pudding making episode in Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose", though you wouldn't want theirs after Venantius of Salvemec was drowned in the vat...

Edited by Hroth
Random punctuation to stop random capitalisation by the forum software...
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

On the other note, those tests had many Service Personnel at varying distances, to discover what the effects might be on military capability.  Your uncle was, sadly amongst many who paid the very real price for that information.  Given what was already know about radiation, it was seen to be needed information at the time, but was a disgraceful way to go about obtaining it.

Julian

We have a picture somewhere of Uncle Bill standing in his “tropic shorts” in front of a Vought Corsair on deck of Ark Royal, they were given a pair of very dark sunglasses and told to stand on deck facing away from the blast, when they felt the “wind” they could turn around and watch the mushroom cloud :wacko: different times indeed.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

04:15 was a bit juicy.......:good_mini:

I was at Biggin Hill the last time a Lightening broke the sound barrier at an air show, it must have been in the mid to late sixties at least.....no sound at all.....then it past.....then your ears exploded.....absolutely brilliant.

Yeah, that was the sort of thing...

Saw a Lightning do the 'silent approach' supersonic trick at a display at St Athan in the early 60s.  Working trains in the 70s past Pembrey and Burry Port, we were often used as practice strafing targets for a/c using the bombing range at Pembrey; when you saw them lining up on you like that there was always the thought that 'what if they have real shells in the cannon'?  A favourite trick was to 'attack' the train from behind using the track to aid the aiming, and blast over the top of the loco about 20 feet up (not kidding) at 600+mph, giving cardiac arrests to the poor old driver and the poor old guard if he was riding up front with him (I usually was).  The shock wave is sufficient to bottom out the springs on a 47, and the noise...

Then the sod would waggle his wings at you!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Yeah, that was the sort of thing...

Saw a Lightning do the 'silent approach' supersonic trick at a display at St Athan in the early 60s.  Working trains in the 70s past Pembrey and Burry Port, we were often used as practice strafing targets for a/c using the bombing range at Pembrey; when you saw them lining up on you like that there was always the thought that 'what if they have real shells in the cannon'?  A favourite trick was to 'attack' the train from behind using the track to aid the aiming, and blast over the top of the loco about 20 feet up (not kidding) at 600+mph, giving cardiac arrests to the poor old driver and the poor old guard if he was riding up front with him (I usually was).  The shock wave is sufficient to bottom out the springs on a 47, and the noise...

Then the sod would waggle his wings at you!

When I first moved to 36E I was told by a lad I was working with that Cottam and West Burton Ps's were used as target practice by mainly the USAF and they used to line up behind Farmers out working with tractors if they could, doing the same thing and scaring the s##t out of many by all accounts.

Never saw that myself.

Just had our single take off from Finningly and it is being given some wellie: Magma Aviation 747 4-F6 Reg. TF-AMN. Cargo and usually comes over from Nairobi twice a week, Tuesdays and Saturdays. Possibly Fruit and  light veg/salad?

• RMweb Gold

Back in the early 1950s we moved to a new estate on the east side of Birmingham. From our garden I used to watch army reservists doing static parachute training from tethered baloons at Castle Bromwich airfield. Each September there was  BoB air display with a fly-past. I think it was around 1952 that the big attraction was to be a low-level pass over the runway by a Fairey Delta jet. The week before the test pilot did a trial run and came in a bit fast. He pulled out sharply as he was rapidly approaching some buildings and went supersonic over Stechford, blowing out the windows of the Co-op where I had been taken shopping by my Mom.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Back in the early 1950s we moved to a new estate on the east side of Birmingham. From our garden I used to watch army reservists doing static parachute training from tethered baloons at Castle Bromwich airfield. Each September there was  BoB air display with a fly-past. I think it was around 1952 that the big attraction was to be a low-level pass over the runway by a Fairey Delta jet. The week before the test pilot did a trial run and came in a bit fast. He pulled out sharply as he was rapidly approaching some buildings and went supersonic over Stechford, blowing out the windows of the Co-op where I had been taken shopping by my Mom.

Probably early 60s I went to a display at Roborough (near Plymouth). I think there was a Lightning but what I remember from that day was the Vulcan. It must have done some stuff and then came over for a final run and accelerated and then went into an almost vertical climb with ABs flaming. The noise was incredible and we could hear it for ages even when it was just a speck. What memories.

Possibly my best air show view ever was 5 Mustangs at Shoreham doing a low final run followed by break - aways as they shot towards the South Downs at about 50 ft. Bloody amazing. Around mid 90s?

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

During one of the Iran Wars I was commentating at Mildenhall on the Stock Car racing. Each time the heavy transport planes took off I just put the microphone down as I could not hear what I was saying let alone anyone else in the stadium hearing the speakers! One meeting featured the BriSCA F1 Stock Cars and the sound of 20 454 cubic inch Chevy engines without silencers was totally drowned out by one of the planes taking off. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

During one of the Iran Wars I was commentating at Mildenhall on the Stock Car racing. Each time the heavy transport planes took off I just put the microphone down as I could not hear what I was saying let alone anyone else in the stadium hearing the speakers! One meeting featured the BriSCA F1 Stock Cars and the sound of 20 454 cubic inch Chevy engines without silencers was totally drowned out by one of the planes taking off. 

Talking of stock cars did you look at the e-meet from virtual Mildenhall last week, looked quite good I thought.

There's another from virtual Skegness at 6 this evening

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, great central said:

Talking of stock cars did you look at the e-meet from virtual Mildenhall last week, looked quite good I thought.

There's another from virtual Skegness at 6 this evening

I missed the Mildenhall one  but will make sure I see the Skegness meeting this evening. I was racing manager for Vince Moody for six years from 1994 to 2000 so spent a lot of time at Skegness as well as Swaffham, Kings Lynn and Sheffield during those years. Saddest thing was the failure of the Speedway but it should have been run in the Conference League for at least the first couple of seasons.

17 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I missed the Mildenhall one  but will make sure I see the Skegness meeting this evening. I was racing manager for Vince Moody for six years from 1994 to 2000 so spent a lot of time at Skegness as well as Swaffham, Kings Lynn and Sheffield during those years. Saddest thing was the failure of the Speedway but it should have been run in the Conference League for at least the first couple of seasons.

I've had a long time away from stock cars, started going around 1970 with Long Eaton and once I got a car all over the country til marriage, mortgage and all that called a halt around 1976.

Got back into it somewhat around 3 years ago but don't do that many meetings, mainly because I'm at work 2 Saturdays out of 3.

Was hoping to do more this year, hopefully won't be too long before we can get out again.

For anyone interested it should be live on YouTube, search for BSCDA, likely better than Saturday evening telly.

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, great central said:

For anyone interested it should be live on YouTube, search for BSCDA, likely better than Saturday evening telly.

Anything, including a blank screen is better than the TV being switched on!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

In the can and untinned!!!

Yes, I apologise, however I have just hung this up in 'my' bedroom as it had been in the 'guest bedroom' that was decorated just before all this nonsense kicked off and had been sitting against the wall since then, such is my skill at doing things swiftly (not!). Many happy memories of day returns from 83D to this wonderful place too few times in the early 60s.

Self indulgence.

P

• Like 1