The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Another Scam?

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium

I've just been told by RMWeb that there was someone in London trying to hack into my RMWeb Account and it was locked! So it was!

Have had to faff several times with Security Pictures etc and replace my Password.

Here I am again; so was it a scam?

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ColinK said:

I got a very convincing one saying our direct debit for the TV licence had been refused because the card details had changed.

What made it especially convincing is that my credit card had expired a few days previously, so card details had actually changed. But it was a scam.

The obvious telltale there is that a direct debit has nothing to do with a card - it comes directly from the bank account.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...

I had what might have been an old-fashioned scam approach the other day.  A bloke rang the doorbell and told me that he was a roofer, was working in the district and had noticed a "problem" with my roof whilst passing by...

Oh yes?  🤔

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I had what might have been an old-fashioned scam approach the other day.  A bloke rang the doorbell and told me that he was a roofer, was working in the district and had noticed a "problem" with my roof whilst passing by...

Oh yes?  🤔

Since you denied him, he'll be back tomorrow to remove the lead!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had a major issue recently with my Debit Card.

My F-i-L managed, through his own stupidity, to get a <parking invoice>. "But I've parked there for years & never had a problem" is no defence against those shysters - and as we all should know, unfortunately these things ARE legally enforceable these days; the days of simply ignoring them, in England at least, are long gone. He took some persuading that this was the case...

As he was also short of funds until pension day, my wife asked me to help out & just pay the thing at the *discounted level*. So, OK, open the URL per the invoice, quote the given reference and job done. The parking bandits, by the way, were Parkmaven. Now, when I got the payment confirmation, a brief pop-up came up, saying that "We cannot guarantee the safety of your data". This disappeared before I could screenshot the damn thing.

This was about 3pm on Sunday. At 10pm, a text appears, claiming to be from the bank, and to call them on a given number. Aye, right - we know how this goes, don't we? Nevertheless, I log in to my banking app, and sure enough, there's a message from them.

So, I call the bank on the number that I already have, go through the security questions and discover that someone had tried, twice, to charge GBP20 to my card at a sporting goods store in the Leeds/Bradford area. I assured the very helpful person on the other end of the call that these were NOT transactions by myself, so I was then told that the card would be stopped immediately and a new one sent out. Fortunately I do have other cards, but it was 4 days before my new card arrived, & then I had the hassle of changing payment details on things like PayPal, Amazon etc etc...

I gave as much detail as possible to the bank, & also Action Fraud. Parkmaven weren't interested - I got told to do something anatomically impossible to myself & they then hung up. THAT got reported to AF too.

Be careful out there, folks...

Mark

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has there been any chat on here about a Company called Easy Live taking small and regular amounts of money from a Bank Account.? I've read it somewhere! I have bought stuff from them in the past. 

On checking my Bank Account to day I find regular £3 amounts going out...but last November it was 3 x£3 on the same day!

I'm on it after phoning the Bank and will be calling them tomorrow. I'm just sure I've read about this somewhere, thus asking here.

I had a similar problem years ago when I 'accidentally' joined Amazon Prime (and it was by mistake) when I ordered something!

Thanks

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Has there been any chat on here about a Company called Easy Live taking small and regular amounts of money from a Bank Account.? I've read it somewhere! I have bought stuff from them in the past. 

On checking my Bank Account to day I find regular £3 amounts going out...but last November it was 3 x£3 on the same day!

I'm on it after phoning the Bank and will be calling them tomorrow. I'm just sure I've read about this somewhere, thus asking here.

I had a similar problem years ago when I 'accidentally' joined Amazon Prime (and it was by mistake) when I ordered something!

Thanks

Phil

Do you buy stuff at auction? This sounds like https://www.easyliveauction.com/.  When you register to bid at the auction, you can opt to either pay internet commission on each item you buy, or you can pay a flat fee of £3.  I've done this recently but only for one auction so far. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, RFS said:

Do you buy stuff at auction? This sounds like https://www.easyliveauction.com/.  When you register to bid at the auction, you can opt to either pay internet commission on each item you buy, or you can pay a flat fee of £3.  I've done this recently but only for one auction so far. 

That's exactly it and thanks. I was reading it as Easy Life. That's a company that sells cheap Chinese stuff from on line or phone!

I changed my Auction bid style last year and hadn't really twigged. 

I checked the payments this morning, (only 8!) and just before coming to delete this post I realised who it was.

Thank you again.

I am now sitting myself in the try harder corner.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The "home maintenance team" scumbags are at it again...

+447492682548

The b*gger had one of the thickest accents I've ever had the misfortune to try & decipher too...

Have reported it via 7726 & blocked it.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"SHOP" was this a scam? Recently ordered an item from Dapol, at the same time my Dapol email confirmation arrived, another one from "SHOP" talking about tracking my package, just download an app on my mobile, coincidence?, no mention in their email about Dapol, app is a trusted one from Google store, but appears to be an internet shopping site, all a bit odd.