The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Another Scam?

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

If I want several items from Amazon and they don't have a free postage option I sign up to Prime. I then go straight into the account and cancel, it's easy.

I then have 30 days of free shipping for nothing, during which I can order my items, I have done it several times, I'm surprised that Amazon haven't cottoned on.

So they don't charge you for one month's membership if you cancel quickly enough?  I'll have to try that dodge.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

So they don't charge you for one month's membership if you cancel quickly enough?  I'll have to try that dodge.....

Check whether they are offering the "30 day trial", I get it very frequently (most of the time).

The first time I actually clicked in error and joined by mistake but soon found how to cancel it but still got 30 days use.

Since then I have "joined" about 3 times to get free postage (and usually fast delivery) but I always cancel straight away.

EDIT, they are not currently offering it but do say "Try Prime"

Maybe it's something to do with distance selling rules where you can back out if you think you have made an error or had second thoughts?

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

My wife and I both have mobile phones and we have a home phone which is part of the Broadband deal I have. We had the call blocking service but still got around four spam calls a week from all the usual suspects. As we never give out our home number to friends we solved the problem by just removing the phone from the line so all they get is constant ringing that is never answered. I hope they enjoy waiting for us to answer. It saves me blowing my spare Acme thunderer down the phone at them.

AFAIK they won't get ringing, they will get unobtainable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

If the free trail is offered to you on the Amazon website, take up the offer.  You can then almost immediately (perhaps immediately?) go and cancel it and the trial will run for the next 30 days and then stop without any charge to you.

I've done it a few times.  Of course this is nothing to do with the scam that this thread is meant to be about (ooops).

Steve

• Thanks 1

Same for the streaming services at least here anyway - something comes up you want to see, sign up for 30 days freetrial, binge watch it then cancel your subscription until next time.

Tis cool that internet scams can work both ways!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Same for the streaming services at least here anyway - something comes up you want to see, sign up for 30 days freetrial, binge watch it then cancel your subscription until next time.

Tis cool that internet scams can work both ways!

I can see it now:

"Stay off RMWeb - that lot are just a bunch of scammers.....:jester:"

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 21/04/2020 at 15:07, Lantavian said:

If you are working from home, watch out for people pretending to be from your employer's IT department.

Ho Ho! That would be good over here! I've just found out what the roundy-roundy thing does on my telephone!

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, melmerby said:

AFAIK they won't get ringing, they will get unobtainable.

If a traditional phone (even on VoIP) is merely unplugged, then it will ring out.

If it's an IP phone, then probably unobtainable, because the IP address isn't connected to the modem/router..

• 2 months later...

Returning to the Amazon scam call, I have had it again today. They have changed the price to 79.95, which is still not right for Amazon prime and no currency stated. The voice is strangely robotic. I tried 1471 and this returns a result "zero", so they have found a way to defeat 1471.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew s said:

Had one from Amazon about half hour ago. I have never used Amazon, how they got hold of my number i don't know. Not been with BT for Eighteen months.

They randomly dial numbers with a robot. They have no idea who you are.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's one I just received tonight and 1 year later, they still they managed to stuff up 2 of the listed items!

expect for the upcoming year! 2019 is here, and your Guardian Angel has some Predictions for you !

• Will I find love?

• Get my dream job?

• get rid of my financial issues?

Using my unique Gift to communicate with the Angels, I can know what is about to happen in the Future.

Your Personal 2019 Angel Reading will tell you what Great changes to expect in your life. Trust your Guardian Angel, he is your dedicated Spiritual guide and knows what the future has in store for you for 2019.

Important info: After you subscribed, I will immediatly send a validation email to your email address for you to confirm. When it's confirmed, I then start my celestial work. A few hours later, I will send your 2019 Angel Predications.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

My spam emails are getting weirder! This doesn't inspire me to open the attachment.

Latest email

Subject

timid you are addicted to your telephone set 8195287476771531

Soon John is working on a labor which he has knowingly dubbed “John Nos”. He bequeath be tattle the former songs in the one-time stylus.However,piece this has been done in front,John is look almost the germinal song aggregator and vertical flute

Wallet your - 0CH39J

There is a pdf, called 'starve', but I'll leave it unopened, I think!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

On 25/07/2020 at 10:01, Hibelroad said:

Returning to the Amazon scam call, I have had it again today. They have changed the price to 79.95, which is still not right for Amazon prime and no currency stated. The voice is strangely robotic. I tried 1471 and this returns a result "zero", so they have found a way to defeat 1471.

Anybody can defeat 1471 just dial  141 before the number.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...

Today I had a call from the “ telephone preference service” asking me if I keep getting spam calls??? He was upset that I told him yes. YOU. 
I usually ask them what they are doing with the other hand....... and would lubricant help. They ring off

pete

• Funny 5

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, God's Wonderful Railway 1835 said:

If you get an scam email forward it to this address report@phishing.gov.uk and after reporting an email so called from the DVLA today I found this on their site. 

"As of 30 November 2020 the number of reports received stand at more than 4,264,000 with the removal of 22,192 scams and 43,582 URLs."

So if you get these emails do the same as the more who report these scam's the better chance the scammer's wont get hold of peoples money.

I usually report/forward all scam email, provided that the relevant reporting address does not involve too much wading through an unhelpful website. Remember also, that you can often similarly report scam text messages.

Colin

2 hours ago, God's Wonderful Railway 1835 said:

If you get an scam email forward it to this address report@phishing.gov.uk and after reporting an email so called from the DVLA today I found this on their site. 

"As of 30 November 2020 the number of reports received stand at more than 4,264,000 with the removal of 22,192 scams and 43,582 URLs."

So if you get these emails do the same as the more who report these scam's the better chance the scammer's wont get hold of peoples money.

ive just had a text message from an ee pay as you go mobile stating a transfer was attempted from a Halifax Account and to go on a link to deal with it

iknow this is a scam as i dont have a halifax account

i have forwarded the details to my o2 fraud dept for them to deal with as i have done with tax office , none existant  bank/buildind soc accounts etc , but these could easily catch out old and vunrable people. they are always from ee mobiles but ee dont seem interested so let o2 deal with them

dave

On 05/12/2020 at 21:59, ColinK said:

I had one yesterday, an email, 'you are entitled to a Covid grant'  Just give us your bank details so we can pay you.

Funnily enough that could be genuine. Although it would have been some months ago rather than recently.

It is surprising what organizations are entitled to a grant and who are not aware until contacted by the local authorities.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Funnily enough that could be genuine. Although it would have been some months ago rather than recently.

It is surprising what organizations are entitled to a grant and who are not aware until contacted by the local authorities.

Bernard

I received an email saying that I could get a grant of £14,567,890 for Covid related problems and they just needed all my bank details!

Email forwarded to the authorities. 

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2020 at 14:16, kevinlms said:

Here's one I just received tonight and 1 year later, they still they managed to stuff up 2 of the listed items!

your Guardian Angel has some Predictions for you !

Important info: After you subscribed, I will immediatly send a validation email to your email address for you to confirm. When it's confirmed, I then start my celestial work. A few hours later, Your bank account will be empty.

There.

Corrected the mistake.:good:

• RMweb Premium
On 17/12/2020 at 18:31, God's Wonderful Railway 1835 said:

I would but the stupid virgin Email system won't let me as it contains spam did report it to them but got no answer 

John