The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Another Scam?

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Well, it's not that bad.

The thing that really gives it away is the time pressured "you only have 24 hours to react" line.

Also FYI your email is displayed at the very bottom.

And "Confrim Now" in the yellow box!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, petethemole said:

And "Confrim Now" in the yellow box!

That's what caught my eye straight away!

...and some American spelling. Any communications that I've had with them has been using 'English' English spelling!

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Well, it's not that bad.

The thing that really gives it away is the time pressured "you only have 24 hours to react" line.

Also FYI your email is displayed at the very bottom.

Another key give away is the fact that you are likely to receive the same 'do it now, or forever hold your peace' email, 6 times in the next hour, from 6 different email addresses!

Plus of course the 'Dear Customer' - don't they know your name?

Your bank or a legitimate company will also use your proper name.

I got a scam email recently that uses the name in one of my email addresses which is a minor character from a Sci Fi movie....

So it was a bit like 

Hi Darth Vader 

We are contacting you about your bank account.

:laugh:

It's not Darth Vader BTW, but I don't think the scammers got the cultural reference which someone in the UK, US or Europe probably would have.

Jason

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

I got a call asking about the accident I had recently.

I told them that was quick as it only just happened!

they asked me what had happened so I told them I’d been mortally wounded and died at the scene, that threw them

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

There's a couple of good ones on YouTube like that - one I seem to remember told the scammer that he'd been decapitated by a sheet of glass, and managed to string them on for a while before they realised...

Then there's James Veitch's TED talk on the Nigerian Scammer:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

I usually ask them "which one ? - I'm accident prone" (if I'm in a good mood).

I get all aggressive and demand they send my compensation money.  Good way to let off steam .....  Bill

• Like 1

A friend of ours had a weird one earlier this year. 

A call supposedly from his bank about a card payment caught him off guard whilst at work and he responded. 

He told me about it several hours later and I suspected something wasn't right. 

We called the number on the back of his card and spoke to his bank's fraud team who confirmed it was a scam and arranged a new card to be sent and his old blocked.

We even tested them with security questions, which they knew the answers to. 

Having no working card he visited his bank the following day to get some cash and found that it had all been a scam, including the people we spoke to from their fraud team. 

No cards had been blocked and no new one issued. Transactions  had been made that he hadn't made.

How they did it remains a mystery, but at least he got it all sorted. 

Andy

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A possible scam indirectly involving RMw?

Yesterday I got an e-mail from a member asking me to confirm that I'd received it. It was 'from' someone on here that I know quite well so not thinking about it I replied with the usual "Hello ****** nice to hear from you". I then later got a request to purchase £100 in supermarket vouchers which instantly raised suspicion. so I dumped the whole thing immediately. Fortunately there were no links to click onto (which I would've never used anyway).

I then contacted the member by PM on here and was informed that they had been hacked. Having little knowledge or experience of all these scams and I don't recall ever contacting the member by PM or e-mail so maybe they may have 'got in' via RMw. Just a thought.

• Informative/Useful 1

Not sure if this was a scam or not, opened email today, request for feedback/review of an order, did not recognize it, checked my Amazon account, all in order, checked the email again, yes it was something I had ordered in 2017!

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hot on the heels of the Omicron virus:

image.png.34f864b369d100cf898cd3e1311e7092.png

Yes, I've forwarded it to <report@phishing.gov.uk> and <cybersecurity@nhs.net>

Take care!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's my latest email scam. Easy to spot though.

Any takers and I'll give you the email address! Do YOU trust this citizen? Country code is KR - North Korea, so must be good!

Your online Bank Account is Ready..........

Greetings, I have opened an account for you and deposited the funds with Citizens Trust Finance.

I traveled out of the country for a 4 months course and I will not be back until completion of my 4 months course.

What you have to do now is to contact Mr Michael Elmore immediately for your account information and full details.

Contact the Payment Officer now for your online account information with this information below:

Contact Name: Mr Michael Elmore

Email Address:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had a few from chancers who have got hold of the e-mail addresses from a Railcam UK breach.

They usually give themselves away in the first few lines when the mention what they've supposedly seen me doing on my camera.

They then try to blackmail me by saying they will release them to wife, police, newspapers etc.😁

Problem is the PC doesn't have a camera, the laptop doesn't have the drivers for the camera installed, so it doesnt work, my mobile doesn't have my e-mail account on it!

Bad luck guys😄

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I've had a few from chancers who have got hold of the e-mail addresses from a Railcam UK breach.

They usually give themselves away in the first few lines when the mention what they've supposedly seen me doing on my camera.

They then try to blackmail me by saying they will release them to wife, police, newspapers etc.😁

Problem is the PC doesn't have a camera, the laptop doesn't have the drivers for the camera installed, so it doesnt work, my mobile doesn't have my e-mail account on it!

Bad luck guys😄

Sadly those particular scams have led to some very nasty outcomes - there's been at least one case reported of suicide as a result - someone who didn't know it was a scam, couldn't pay, and lived in a culture where the shame of such activities being revealed would be substantial. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Had a Whatsapp message today inviting me to join a group about finance and investment oportunities with a link to click to join.

Came from a  +22 number.

Hmm.

Deleted, genuine (🤣) or not, too risky.

Oddly it arrived the same time I was added to a group and that one I was expecting.

Must talk to the group admin.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2021 at 22:39, SM42 said:

A friend of ours had a weird one earlier this year. 

A call supposedly from his bank about a card payment caught him off guard whilst at work and he responded. 

He told me about it several hours later and I suspected something wasn't right. 

We called the number on the back of his card and spoke to his bank's fraud team who confirmed it was a scam and arranged a new card to be sent and his old blocked.

We even tested them with security questions, which they knew the answers to. 

Having no working card he visited his bank the following day to get some cash and found that it had all been a scam, including the people we spoke to from their fraud team. 

No cards had been blocked and no new one issued. Transactions  had been made that he hadn't made.

How they did it remains a mystery, but at least he got it all sorted. 

Andy

My understanding of what I have read of this type of scam is that they keep the phone line open so when you call to the bank it is still them on the line. No idea of the tech involved but obviously if like us you still have a land line and a mobile (or a family member has a 2nd mobile available) ring the bank on the other one.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, john new said:

My understanding of what I have read of this type of scam is that they keep the phone line open so when you call to the bank it is still them on the line. No idea of the tech involved but obviously if like us you still have a land line and a mobile (or a family member has a 2nd mobile available) ring the bank on the other one.

Credit where it is due. they kept that line open for about 8 hours in that case. Even managed a ringing tone at the other end.

Andy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, john new said:

They superimpose a dial tone sound and when you start dialling, they turn it off. So a victim thinks a call is being made, whereas you never hung up from any call anyway.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So will this type of scam end when all landlines have been converted to digital?

I am assuming that the 'open' line operation of landlines will be superceded by the mobile kind of connection.

What makes you think mobiles or any digital service will be exempt from scamming? Plenty of cases of 'Hi Mum, I've lost my mobile and you can contact me on this temporary number. I need some money to tide me over'.

Scammers will forever invent new ways to rob people.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

What makes you think mobiles or any digital service will be exempt from scamming? Plenty of cases of 'Hi Mum, I've lost my mobile and you can contact me on this temporary number. I need some money to tide me over'.

Scammers will forever invent new ways to rob people.

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So will this type of scam end when all landlines have been converted to digital?

I am assuming that the 'open' line operation of landlines will be superceded by the mobile kind of connection.

This particular one only works on traditional landlines, so will end - but as Kevin says, they'll just think of a new one...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, john new said:

I thought this loophole had been closed by BT ages ago.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1