RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Something that has sprung to mind (excuse the pun...). Which headcode would be the better one to display on the Blue & Grey version in the early 70s? So currently, the detailed buffer beam end has the headcode "01", and the non-detailed end "CE".... i'd possibly like to switch it around, but don't want to have to remove the detail / add it on the other end, if there is no point.

Another thought as well, when coupled to a loco or train, would the drop-head buckeye be in the dropped or raised position?

Edited by Geep7

4 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Another thought as well, when coupled to a loco or train, would the drop-head buckeye be in the dropped or raised position?

Depends on what coupling the loco/train has

If a 37 the buckeye would be dropped to allow the hook to be used. If coupled to a 73 or other coach the buckeye may be used since the 73's have drophead buckeyes too.

Imagine on the non loco end it would be dropped all the time.

14 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Folks, it would appear that some of you have had a bit of a bad experience with Royal Mail, whereby some models have parts that are loose, or damaged. If you don’t feel confident in reattaching them, or they’re broken beyond repair, please email the support address listed in the instruction manual and we will endeavour to help you. Our Customer Service and Warranty ‘Guru’ Simon is on holiday until next Monday, so we thank you in advance for your patience. 

Hi Revolution,

I know that you guys doubtless have a lot to get through.

Do you know if ones being sent abroad have been sent yet please. My order still shows Processing.

Kind regards

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Depends on what coupling the loco/train has

If a 37 the buckeye would be dropped to allow the hook to be used. If coupled to a 73 or other coach the buckeye may be used since the 73's have drophead buckeyes too.

Imagine on the non loco end it would be dropped all the time.

Sorry, I should have specified whether it would be raised or dropped on the non-loco end.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Hi Revolution,

I know that you guys doubtless have a lot to get through.

Do you know if ones being sent abroad have been sent yet please. My order still shows Processing.

Kind regards

Some have - as per the info on the Project summary page of our website, I reckon we’ve sent out about 70% as of today. I think that all despatched models are now showing as such (but we will do checks once we have finished packing and posting) and international orders should have tracking details as a note on their order. 

More to be packed and posted tomorrow (along with FNAs!). 

cheers Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NTrains said:

Hi All,

looking forward to receiving mine in the next day or so.

looking at the Network Southeast version posted on this thread, is the “t” in the Network SouthEast branding/lettering correct? It doesn’t look quite right when comparing to the prototype. On the prototype, the t is squared off, but on the model, it looks to be angular. 

insight would be appreciated.

Bob

IMG_2025.jpeg

IMG_2026.png

Here you go

IMG_5417.jpeg.8823309349ca290654f85f58bfdbee0f.jpeg

IMG_5417.jpeg.0441a781b488ebc0caf6498b1493e464.jpeg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Here you go

IMG_5417.jpeg.8823309349ca290654f85f58bfdbee0f.jpeg

IMG_5417.jpeg.0441a781b488ebc0caf6498b1493e464.jpeg

Thank you for the images. It does look like the “t” is incorrect, I’m sorry to say. Unless the Revolution guys have an obscure picture of Caroline with that font hidden away somewhere! 😆

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2026.png

IMG_2025.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

The NSE logo is taken directly from this 

IMG_2284.jpeg

But in that image the top of each letter t is horizontal, but that is not on the photograph of the model posted above, where the top of each letter slopes from lower left to upper right. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

The NSE logo is taken directly from this 

IMG_2284.jpeg

That’s what I thought would be used, as it’s in the artwork too. But it does look like the model has a different letter T unfortunately.

I’ve superimposed the logo you posted onto the picture that Black & Decker Boy posted to highlight the difference.

IMG_2048.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, NTrains said:

That’s what I thought would be used, as it’s in the artwork too. But it does look like the model has a different letter T unfortunately.

I’ve superimposed the logo you posted onto the picture that Black & Decker Boy posted to highlight the difference.

IMG_2048.jpeg

Also I'd say the letter spacing should be tighter too.

8 minutes ago, NBL said:

I can't believe someone is complaining about the end of the tail of a letter.  A minute detail.

Seriously, get a grip

I agree that the font is not worth worrying about IMO.

However, empathising with the issue at hand, at what point does an observation of inaccuracy go from valid to petty?

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I agree that the font is not worth worrying about IMO.

However, empathising with the issue at hand, at what point does an observation of inaccuracy go from valid to petty?

We're paying for a miniature replica of the real thing at the end of the day so expect them to be accurate. The picture below is off the revolution website and the logo is incorrect on that as well, despite what Mike B has said above about them using the correct logo. 

image.png.c3e74741f4a7d9d20d0b116817832dde.png

OK, I've got the callipers out.

Looking at the official BR weight diagram (available freely via the Barrowmore MRG site) the overall rail to roof top measurement should be 3734mm and the rail to vent-top should be 3831mm.

This scaled by 1:76.2 should be 49.00mm rail to roof top and 50.28mm rail to vent-top.

see attached:

Screenshot2023-08-08222941.png.3ddf1093a0ea930a26a44727db366012.png

I've measured both with the shim and without the shim fitted again, as attached:

Rail to roof-top (with shim)

RailtoRoof(Shim).jpg.c09274592cd1e08901ad2263ca1f009d.jpg

Rail to roof-top (without shim)

RailtoRoof(NoShim).jpg.3693d8ade5e91d5e86471fbae702c09f.jpg

Rail to vent-top (with shim)

RailtoVentTop(Shim).jpg.1e141021cb113af4b5328f1aaf64c198.jpg

Rail to vent-top (without shim)

RailtoVentTop(NoShim).jpg.7233d5e56b6296fa4452704a78be5e75.jpg

If my calculations/workings are correct, this gives a difference of:

Rail to roof: 1.95mm with shim / 1.60mm without shim

Multiplied by 76.2 gives a scale difference of 148.59mm with shim / 121.92 without shim or in imperial; 5.85" with shim and 4.8" with the shim removed.

Conclusion: The model is approximately 5 inches too tall overall by the official BR documentation, which confirms several of our suspicions of it looking taller than many other items of rolling stock. The next question is where? As stated previously this should/could be a lot easier to rectify if it's a bogie ride-height issue rather than a body issue.

Overall, I'm feeling more and more disappointed with what is firstly the most expensive non-powered piece of rolling stock I've ever bought, but moreover one that I've waited patiently for the last 3 years to receive. 

The NSE lettering is a small, yet very important mistake which shouldn't have been made on such a high quality model, the packaging/shipping issues are annoying, and it's easy to lay blame on the shipment company (trust me, I'm well aware trains get damaged in the post), however the horns seem to be put under particular strain as mine arrived with 3 of the 4 horns detached and all were bent. This is something which I remedied easily, but it does appear the packaging doesn't protect them satisfactorily .

As for the height issue, 1.6mm too tall doesn't sound much, but 5" in real life terms is really quite a lot taller than it should be.

Personally I'm in a quandary as to what to do. It doesn't look right, and I'm now debating whether I want to keep it or not.

John

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

53 minutes ago, NBL said:

I can't believe someone is complaining about the end of the tail of a letter.  A minute detail.

Seriously, get a grip

It's NSE. The branding is well documented, extremely well-publicised and a very well known "brand".

The "t" is wrong and shouldn't be. Simple as that.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, JJC said:

OK, I've got the callipers out.

Looking at the official BR weight diagram (available freely via the Barrowmore MRG site) the overall rail to roof top measurement should be 3734mm and the rail to vent-top should be 3831mm.

John

Hi John,

There's nothing wrong with your calculations, but when 975025 was converted from a Hastings Buffet trailer to Caroline the bogies were changed to B4 types. I wonder if this accounts, at least in part, for the difference in height between our measurements from the prototype at Loram in Derby and the drawings you have.

In addition, as others have noted, a small amount of additional clearance had to be added to allow the model to cope with trainset curves.  If you have generous curves you can remove this if you wish; it comes down to the age old compromise between producing an accurate replica of a real vehicle and a model that will operate on the sort of curves and gradients modellers use.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I think, personally, there are much more important things to loose sleep over than if my model has a height difference of 1.6mm. I mean, it's running on track 2.33mm too narrow for a start..... 😁

The NSE logo error? may have been unavoidable if scaling down from a larger logo provided, or maybe it is the closest typeface that was available?

There is always the option of replacing it with a transfer if you're not happy with it, but I can't see any reason for sending the model back just because of a couple of minor things that can be dealt with by doing a little modelling.

I'm appreciative of the fact that Revolution have produced Caroline R-T-R, as I was, at the time they announced it, planning on scratchbuilding one. Their model is much better than anything I would have ever produced.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 2