RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

I paid my balance on Friday, so does that mean that my model will be dispatched some time next week?  The reason I ask is that I'm possibly going away for a few days in the week, and if it's likely it will arrive with me soon, I'll postpone.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I paid my balance on Friday, so does that mean that my model will be dispatched some time next week?  The reason I ask is that I'm possibly going away for a few days in the week, and if it's likely it will arrive with me soon, I'll postpone.

Correct (as per the details on our website) - please email us at info@ etc if you would like us to delay posting your model. 

Thanks Mike

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

Correct (as per the details on our website) - please email us at info@ etc if you would like us to delay posting your model. 

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike, no need to delay posting as I've postponed my trip until the middle of August.  Really looking forward to receiving the model.

Just (hopefully) pre-ordered a Green one with a retailer who was still inviting pre-orders online. Just hope they actually have stock to allocate.

Looks a very impressive model.

What functions will work on DC?

Any recommendations for DCC decoders (without going through all pages on this thread)?

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Just (hopefully) pre-ordered a Green one with a retailer who was still inviting pre-orders online. Just hope they actually have stock to allocate.

Looks a very impressive model.

What functions will work on DC?

Any recommendations for DCC decoders (without going through all pages on this thread)?

Basic DC functions are headlights / tail lights off / on, and as far as I can remember, interior lights. As for a decoder, any decent 6 function, 21 pin decoder will suffice. Just be mindful that some of the ‘cheaper’ decoders are a little on the large side and may not quite fit in the decoder location. 

• Like 1

My pre-order just bounced (retailer's allocation sold out).

Just placed a new order with Coastal DCC who confirmed when I phoned they had good available allocation of all variants, if anyone else has waited as long as I have to bite!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to update anyone who is using the model on DC only, and because I wasn’t completely sure that I could remember what switch did what, there are in fact four DIP switches on the blanking plate for DC use.

Switch 1 - Directional Headlights/Head codes/Marker Lights On/Off

Switch 2 - Directional Tail Lights On/Off

Switch 3 - Interior Lights On/Off

Switch 4 - Search Lights/Solebar Lights On/Off

Hope that helps.

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Also, just to double-check. We'll be safe putting it on DCC without a chip in it?

2 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Just to update anyone who is using the model on DC only, and because I wasn’t completely sure that I could remember what switch did what, there are in fact four DIP switches on the blanking plate for DC use.

Switch 1 - Directional Headlights/Head codes/Marker Lights On/Off

Switch 2 - Directional Tail Lights On/Off

Switch 3 - Interior Lights On/Off

Switch 4 - Search Lights/Solebar Lights On/Off

Hope that helps.

Will an 8 function decoder be OK in one of these (in terms of mapping)? I've got a spare Dapol imperium knocking around (assuming its small enough to fit)

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Will an 8 function decoder be OK in one of these (in terms of mapping)? I've got a spare Dapol imperium knocking around (assuming its small enough to fit)

I’m sorry but that isn’t something we can answer. The models were designed to be used with a 6 function decoder and that is what we recommend using. If you wish to use something else then you would do so at your own risk.  

3 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

No, it will need a decoder for DCC operation. 

Sorry please could you clarify - if the model is placed on a DCC powered track and a decoder is not fitted there will be no lighting at all?, or the lighting circuits will be damaged?, or it will work as per the DIP switches?

Thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I assume when you say 6 function its the "standard" 4 full power and 2 logic level as usually found on ESU decoders and not the much rarer 6 full power functions and therefore one of those MKL versions of the decoders required?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, DanielP said:

Sorry please could you clarify - if the model is placed on a DCC powered track and a decoder is not fitted there will be no lighting at all?, or the lighting circuits will be damaged?, or it will work as per the DIP switches?

Thanks!

We would strongly advise against placing the model on DCC powered track with the blanking plug in place as it may possibly damage the DC lighting circuit. We advise that the model is used as intended on DC only with the blanking plug fitted, or, on DCC with a suitable 21 pin, full 6 function accessory decoder. 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I assume when you say 6 function its the "standard" 4 full power and 2 logic level as usually found on ESU decoders and not the much rarer 6 full power functions and therefore one of those MKL versions of the decoders required?

A full 6 function decoder will be required to access all of the lighting functions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Revolution Mike B said:

A full 6 function decoder will be required to access all of the lighting functions. 

So logic level for the 5th and 6th functions (like most 6+ function decoders on the market) won't work?

What decoder do you recommend?

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

So logic level for the 5th and 6th functions (like most 6+ function decoders on the market) won't work?

What decoder do you recommend?

There is no logic on the PCB Tom. A full 6 function decoder is required and the decoder manufacturers instructions should be referred to when fitting. I’m theory, any make of 6 function decoder will work but be mindful that some are larger than others and may be a tight squeeze. 

2 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

There is no logic on the PCB Tom. A full 6 function decoder is required and the decoder manufacturers instructions should be referred to when fitting. I’m theory, any make of 6 function decoder will work but be mindful that some are larger than others and may be a tight squeeze. 

If they are hard wired (no op amps on 5 & 6) it will need powered outputs which means "MKL" decoder in ESU world. Zimo are normally switchable but I aren't sure about everyone else. I thought logic on 5 & 6 was the norm.