Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

30368's Workbench SR Loco's with a bit of LNER

On 17/09/2023 at 05:30, jrg1 said:

I am (Slowly) converting an Airfix Bulleid to the proposed 2-8-2, with an eight wheeled tender.  

Graeme King did this a few years ago - I'll see whether I can find a picture of it running on Grantham.   I think he called it Thomas Cranmer.

Edit - illustrated here.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well the old girl is just about finished, I still have the whistle and safety valves to fit but this will be done after painting. I quite pleased with the result. I'm sure there are errors, I would say that the cylinders are a touch too large but overall it looks like Watersmeet around 1959 after the fitment of AWS but before its 1961 General when its tender was modified. That reminds me I must fit the AWS receiver and cover!!

IMG_8237.JPG.a2134255751cb0a80e09c56744a3f681.JPG

IMG_8236.JPG.cf1a51c29c053a38a6ba973b89a44d60.JPG

IMG_8240.JPG.c52ec47461b1034c52ee010fceab6529.JPG

Kind regards,

Edited by 30368
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

This is going to be splendid when it's finally painted and weathered.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one putting a curve in the front of my RT cylinder drain pipes! Even on my 30" curves it makes all the difference on my Hornby examples between derailment and staying on the track.

John.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

This is going to be splendid when it's finally painted and weathered.

Many thanks John.

I have some close-up images of the cylinder drain pipes and they do curve around where the leading bogie wheel is located.

Kind regards,

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Apart from cab handrails and a 72A shedplate 34030 is complete, however, most importantly, it has not been weathered yet. Watersmeet will be lightly weathered.

A bit more back story. My father ran a tailoring business in Woking, Surrey and still was when I started my apprenticeship at Eastleigh. We both took the train to get to work from Basingstoke station. Fairly often we would meet up at Basingstoke in the evening. Dad would get in his car and I would hop on my motor scooter. We lived in Old Basing. When we met at the station we always compared notes on which loco had pulled our respective trains. The last engine name that my father mentioned was Watersmeet he retired shortly after. It was a nostalgic name for him, he told me how he used to visit The Meeting of the Waters in the Vale of Avoca in Ireland when he was a lad. So that is why my old Hornby WC shell had to be 34030, a small tribute to a great (in my eyes anyway) man.

A reminder of where this project started.

IMG_8146.JPG.ea75e7373c0b1020d03a8dd1bbf198fa.JPG

I think the result is pretty good. I do though have to admit further errors. Firstly the leading wheel sandbox filler would have been blanked off by 1959, this I chose to ignore. Secondly, and this is a shame, the sandbox fillers are too high - I should not have copied the Hornby original! This means that the nameplate is too high.

IMG_8248.JPG.1643998a432d6b8d1de0b9e22ece2fe2.JPG

IMG_8246.JPG.b642df73ca037346921b104489982f60.JPG

IMG_8247.JPG.81352323827f13ea26997e80c38460fd.JPG

IMG_8250.JPG.6e13b8ce7106eaa9966c42e4e50a2d14.JPG

Two back from Eastleigh after overhaul. 30491 though will have to come off and go on shed, that old H15 problem of hot axleboxes. More on this later. Watersmeet is going up to Nine Elms for a check over and then will haul an Exeter where it belongs.IMG_8252.JPG.8df6d7b92f12b0a3db616bd8cee0fdde.JPG

Kind regards,

Edited by 30368
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are a final set of my usual poor images, I must get some "How to use your camera" training.

Weathering is by powders so I can clean it all off to create an "oily rag" clean. The tender has had its paint touched up since the paint was considered good enough until the next general. Shame it has faded a bit.

IMG_8260.JPG.fc17d45946f955696bb6e0da54a7f6f7.JPG

IMG_8258.JPG.8a57e901befa79358fb0d7f7f4e3d050.JPG

IMG_8261.JPG.e64494269db471d8c2496664b731b78d.JPG

IMG_8256.JPG.0cdcf2260dcfbefa7c1b90ca5ae25b80.JPG

IMG_8254.JPG.0ee57332472097b3e4a41e656eecaa4a.JPG

Kind regards,

Edited by 30368
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if this was intentional - and please excuse me if this has been mentioned already - but to me, it looks like what you've achieved there is that effect you sometimes see on full size locos, of metal bodywork panels that are not flat but have all sorts of dips and marks. There's discussion here on RMWeb from time to time about this - such as on Tony Wright's thread  - and about how no-one makes models that way (as opposed to the 99.9% of model locos have ruler-flat panels) and the suggestion's sometimes made that if they did, people would say it didn't look right, but this is a terrific example of it looking superbly realistic.

Can I ask, was that in fact in your mind when you started this project or did it just happen as you went along?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Can I ask, was that in fact in your mind when you started this project or did it just happen as you went along?

Hi Chas,

Thanks so much for your kind words.

One of the objectives was to replicate the distortion caused by bolting (I think set bolts were used rather than rivets, difficult to get access inside the casing!) thin sheet steel to an angle iron frame. The is a feature of cabs on many locos but on the WC/BB it aplied to the whole loco. This distortion was therfore a key feature of the Bulleid pacifics. Just after fitting (glue) the 0.002" panel section to the old Hornby "substrate" I used a ball ended sculpting tool to create the panel undulations that you see on 34030. I also broke down the brass sheet sections into a number of main sections, if you look carefully, there are main sections, firebox, boiler, smokebox, separating these created a greater gap between them as on the prototype.

I think the result is closer to the prototype and whilst you can improve the look of a Hornby flatop with weathering it is still not right.

Thankls for your interest Chas.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS : When I built my H15's I used a scriber to create the panel gaps on the cab sides - I recall someone commented that that would not have happened because the cab was made in one section. I doubt that. I am VERY KEEN on the models that I make replicating the way that locomotives were made and how the structure deteriorated with time.

Edited by 30368
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2023 at 17:20, 30368 said:

Here are a final set of my usual poor images, I must get some "How to use your camera" training.

Weathering is by powders so I can clean it all off to create an "oily rag" clean. The tender has had its paint touched up since the paint was considered good enough until the next general. Shame it has faded a bit.

IMG_8260.JPG.fc17d45946f955696bb6e0da54a7f6f7.JPG

IMG_8258.JPG.8a57e901befa79358fb0d7f7f4e3d050.JPG

IMG_8261.JPG.e64494269db471d8c2496664b731b78d.JPG

IMG_8256.JPG.0cdcf2260dcfbefa7c1b90ca5ae25b80.JPG

IMG_8254.JPG.0ee57332472097b3e4a41e656eecaa4a.JPG

Kind regards,

At some time, that needs to stretch its Drivers on DC on Spirit of Seaton Junction. Great job.

Perhaps an arranged delivery of a U1 could support that visit?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

At some time, that needs to stretch its Drivers on DC on Spirit of Seaton Junction. Great job.

Perhaps an arranged delivery of a U1 could support that visit?

Yes good idea.

Richard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have Phil's U1 2-6-0 next on the list to build but before then I have made a start on a Jidenco Adams T6 7'1" 4-4-0 that I bought from Tony Wright for £60 along with a part assembled Jidenco T14 in its first rebuild guise. Both of these prototypes are outside the scope of my 70D layout so I do sometimes wonder what was I thinking when I bought them? I have always wanted a model of the final version of the T14, and can justify one for the early years of BR, but the Jidenco model is of the first rebuild. I hope to buy a PDK T14 kit which I know Paul is working on. I have no ready answer except that I have a lovely picture of T6 number 681 on Basingstoke in 1933 and this loco lasted until 1943 so I kind of justified it in that basis and the T14 came as part of the deal. I think that is enough waffle for now...

So, I have never built a model of a 19th Century loco so this little project will be interesting for this and because of all the disparaging, but usually helpful, comments about Jidenco kits. I will use a HighLevel Roadrunner Compact gearbox (45:1) and 1219C HLPower coreless motor. The latter, being coreless, is powerful for its size and should slot in under the small diameter Adams boiler. I am also using Alan Gibson wheels.

Those large solid brass columns are the outside cylinders.

IMG_8262.JPG.7432abe780c63823dd0b7345451e5f6b.JPG

Soldering the running plate valance into position was very difficult, no locating slot! So burnt fingers the order of the day...

The cylinders locate just where the front frame spacer is located. The cylinders do have a hole drilled radially which I assume is for mounting them onto the frames. I have tapped these with an 10BA tap and plan to solder a "stud" to the frame and then screw the cylinders into position.

IMG_8264.JPG.60e0b03f2154b145c3844929bbdc7e24.JPG

Update:

Cylinders are now attached to frame temp. 10BA stud screwed into 10BA nut that has been soldered to the end of the frame spacer and the cyliner then screwed onto the stud. Will be secured after slide bars and valvegear fitted.

IMG_8269.JPG.ae90cc5312eff0c8be29a869af2b5b4b.JPG

IMG_8268.JPG.5ff0d19b6bac6ca0875d9a7170b50c5d.JPG

Kind regards,

Edited by 30368
  • Like 12

Hi 30368

Locomotives from the 19th century are a completely different beast from locomotives built after around 1910, I have been lucky enough to crew both 30120 and 30053 at Swanage and they are an acquired taste. (I know 30053 was built 1905, but the design is 19th century).
I have access to 563 if any photos would be helpful (although I realise details may be different between the two classes).

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, gz3xzf said:

Locomotives from the 19th century are a completely different beast from locomotives built after around 1910, I have been lucky enough to crew both 30120 and 30053 at Swanage and they are an acquired taste. (I know 30053 was built 1905, but the design is 19th century).
I have access to 563 if any photos would be helpful (although I realise details may be different between the two classes).

Thanks very much Bryan, very kind. I have driven a Black 5 for day back in 2017 on the Watercress Line and in my apprenticship days I fired an M7 for its steaming test at Eastleigh and cleaned and fired 44767 (19th Century Stephenson Link Motion...) on the North Yorkshire. I was also lucky enough to have 2 weeks of cab rides (part of training) in 1965 with WC/BB, MN and Standard 5s. Tell me, how did/does the T9 and M7 differ from, say, an S15?

I would welcome images of 563 (It looks simply stunning) particularly close ups of:

1. The Adams injectors

2. The running plate walking surface around the smokebox showing what I take to be oil pots and the oblong sandbox covers(?)

3. The cab in all its 19th Century glory

4. The pipework around the safety valves/whistle(s) running into the specticle plate

Many thanks Bryan and kind regards,

Richard

4 hours ago, 30368 said:

I was also lucky enough to have 2 weeks of cab rides (part of training) in 1965 with WC/BB, MN and Standard 5s.

Richard

Do I take it from this that you were an apprentice on the Southern Region somewhere?

4 hours ago, 30368 said:

Tell me, how did/does the T9 and M7 differ from, say, an S15?

Sadly never been on an S15, although the guys at Swanage who experienced 828 tell me they are good engines.

5 hours ago, 30368 said:

I would welcome images of 563 (It looks simply stunning) particularly close ups of:

I will see what I can do, I am planning a trip Sunday morning to help with the shed work.
If you are a FaceBook user there are quite a few photos & videos of the loco taken during this weeks test runs.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gz3xzf said:

Richard

Do I take it from this that you were an apprentice on the Southern Region somewhere?

Hi Bryan,

Yes you are correct. I was a CM&EE apprentice fitter. The first year at Eastleigh Works Apprentice Training School then a year at Eastleigh Diesel Depot followed by short/long stays at most SR depots. I even spent a day or two at Basingstoke helping to rescue a class 33 that had failed. I did well at college so moved to Southern House DM&EE and in 1973 moved up to DM&EE BRB at Derby. I had a very successful and enjoyable railway career retiring in 2006.

Agree, the S15s were very useful engines for the SR. I am sure that any pictures you take will be useful and I am not a facebook user.

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some progress with the T6. You need to be able to scratch build a bit with a Jidenco kit! I know many have made that comment, Michael Edge fairly recently with his SECR F1 4-4-0 build. The wheels and other parts have arrived from Alan Gibson and the motor and gearbox from Highlevel.

Motor and gearbox assembled and wheels likewise. I am a bit concerned about the wheel throw my calculations show a tiny clearance between the cylinder face (Actually the steam gland) and the crosshead. As suspected, the cylinders will need a fair bit of counter weight in the chassis (big lumps of lead..) to balance things.

IMG_8270.JPG.f3130f985bbd0897d5e40345ae24ea12.JPG

The kit states that it can be built as the T6 (7'1" wheels) or the X6 (6'7" wheels) I'm not sure given the extra clearance needed on the running plate.

IMG_8272.JPG.1bac2a8f7afd1b238b0f6c27b108d074.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I thought it was going too well! Just had to dismantle chassis and remove the cylinders and slide bars etc. The holes for the two piston rods were only partially drilled and not enough to allow the correct stroke. Impossible to re-drill with the cylinders in situ. My fault really, I should have checked! They are now!

Ah well put it down to experience! Bu**er!

Nothing to show really...

Kind regards,

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, 30368 said:

Well I thought it was going too well! Just had to dismantle chassis and remove the cylinders and slide bars etc. The holes for the two piston rods were only partially drilled and not enough to allow the correct stroke. Impossible to re-drill with the cylinders in situ. My fault really, I should have checked! They are now!

Ah well put it down to experience! Bu**er!

Nothing to show really...

Kind regards,

Do not despair dear boy. Whilst looking for stuff yesterday I unearthed at least three 'easy to build' Kits for you to relax with and prepare for Basingstoke. Excellent recovery activities after this project.

A DJH Standard 5. I also think I have a spare Baccy SR Large BR1F (I think it is) Tender somewhere, if you want to save some 'weight'?

An almost new DJH S15 with only just a teeny bit of Chassis completed.

An old, inherited and rather unloved, completed DJH S15 whos' only suffering a wonky Crosshead and needs some T.L.C., but works fine.

There are also some SR Bits and Bobs, including a Comet, School's Chassis and a BR SR Bogie.

Then also don't forget the part Complete DJH Arthur that needs a new home! Plus a spare set of SEF Arthur Wheels and a complete, alternative Water Cart Tender!

In fact these all need a new home and it isn't at Seaton Junction! Also definitely not to remain as part of the 'Estate' gathering dust in the Loft!

Phil

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Do not despair dear boy. Whilst looking for stuff yesterday I unearthed at least three 'easy to build' Kits for you to relax with and prepare for Basingstoke. Excellent recovery activities after this project.

Thanks for the very kindly comments and great wealth of SR types... Phil I have an Alan Gibson BR Standard 5 to build, it has the big tender. It will have an ex N15 name when built.

Despair though is not (yet) in my vocabulary more determination to solve the problems presented by this ancient kit. This is one of the reasons why I build the little engines, it keeps one fit does it not? Do you have a track plan for your Seaton Junction layout?

Kind regards,

Richard

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Thanks for the very kindly comments and great wealth of SR types... Phil I have an Alan Gibson BR Standard 5 to build, it has the big tender. It will have an ex N15 name when built.

Despair though is not (yet) in my vocabulary more determination to solve the problems presented by this ancient kit. This is one of the reasons why I build the little engines, it keeps one fit does it not? Do you have a track plan for your Seaton Junction layout?

Kind regards,

Richard

Arggggh. Gibbo Std 5. More Torture!

Track Plan? Sort of...big roundy oval with sidings!

I'll PM some pics!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

I hope the H15 is still going well?

Oh no! not another poor kit.....

I'll look out for the plans. I should add that I have none for 70D other than trying to keep the shed yard as close to prototype as possible.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1