30368's Workbench SR Loco's with a bit of LNER

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Many thanks John, much appreciated.

Here it is again all connected up (except for reverser lifting link) and running very smoothly. Connected using brass pins (Mike Edge's suggestion) and 16BA, where appropriate. How am I going to explain the presence of a V4 on 70D to the shedmaster? Locomotive exchanges? Possible replacement for those tricky Light Pacifics? I don't think so......

IMG_7962.JPG.b76e2f32c081fdda645c5a584be51acf.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Pigeon Special. Continuing to Bournemouth.

P

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Spot on Phil. The very thought of anything coming close to a Bulleid Pacific is just silly..

How is that brilliant layout going or is it just too hot in Northern Nottinghamshire to do anything? Even the High Peak is too hot.

Kind regards,

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Finishing off the valve gear.

I have lost the etches for the front valve spindle extention that drives the conjugated valve gear. Both fell to the floor with no trace until I am looking for something else. So I have fabricated my own from bullhead rail, 5 thou brass and a few bits of brass wire. I think they look better than the etches!

IMG_7966.JPG.130ffdb15d3d6b71603559dc997d0aa8.JPG

"Conjugated" valve gear fitted...

IMG_7968.JPG.2f909d567035f223e60b849d2b80c78f.JPG

KInd regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Chassis is just about complete, just need to add the sand pipes and anything else I have forgotten but don't yet realize. I can now focus on the body, which should be straitforward.....

Brake rigging much simplified. Tender will have pickups too.

IMG_7969.JPG.91941ca81893b12f414dbff585975b26.JPG

Have added 2 thou brass wrappers to the cylinders - securing bolts are very noticable on the prototype. You can just see the brake operating arms under the cylinders. The two vacuum brake cylinders were mounted between the frame. Don't think these were steam brakes (?).

IMG_7971.JPG.ec7fb05442930134f06bb72fc51458c6.JPG

Nice view of my homemade valve spindle guides.

IMG_7972.JPG.52fa680e90d9207ad3864327f795f244.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

We are off to the land of Uhtred son of Uhtred tomorrow to stay in a cottage near Alnwick with a daughter and son-in law. We do a week in a UK location most years. Last year we stayed in Pickering which has many additional attractions but this year Mrs B put her foot down...

So work suspended on 61701, this is how it looks now:

IMG_7973.JPG.9913d6e64281c9ab8af045ccc8978615.JPG

IMG_7974.JPG.a60d1fe1729a4d0c4644bec3b3c4b417.JPG

Kind regards and Wes hāl and Hej då! as Uhtred may have said,

Richard B

• Like 9

Richard

Do have dinner in the hotel that has the Britannic's first class dining room, the surroundings are just a one off, the staff were very good, prices very reasonable and the food is great for how much you pay, do have a great time, we did last year. Also there is a combined ice cream parlour and fish and chip shop, both are excellent but the ice creams are the real stars

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Do have dinner in the hotel that has the Britannic's first class dining room, the surroundings are just a one off, the staff were very good, prices very reasonable and the food is great for how much you pay, do have a great time, we did last year. Also there is a combined ice cream parlour and fish and chip shop, both are excellent but the ice creams are the real stars

Thanks so much John, much appreciated. I take it that the recommended establishments are all in Alnwick?

We will sample all.

Kind regards,

Richard B

16 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Thanks so much John, much appreciated. I take it that the recommended establishments are all in Alnwick?

We will sample all.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Richard

Yes, its at the White Swann,  there is an arch into the High Street and the Swann is on the right about 50 yards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Swan_Hotel,_Alnwick

The Ice cream parlour is further up on the left opposite the town square.

Parking is very reasonable, from memory a weekly ticket is £2 but in the centre parking is restricted to 2 hours (car parks very near  for 24 hour parking all within the £2 a week scheme

The Castle and its gardens also worth visiting, Alnmouth is also worth a visit, great walks and super cafe's

You will have a great time

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2023 at 12:00, 30368 said:

How am I going to explain the presence of a V4 on 70D to the shedmaster?

On 12/06/2023 at 12:09, Mallard60022 said:

Back in the mid 60s a B1 appeared at Redhill shed.  Possibly that was a pigeon special as there were quite a few at that time.

It came off the train with a hot axlebox and sat there for quite a while as a 4-4-0.

Evidently the shedmaster took quite a liking to it so when the wheels were refitted it was used on the Redhill to Reading services.   Probably excused as running in.

Rodney

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/06/2023 at 09:28, RodneyS said:

Back in the mid 60s a B1 appeared at Redhill shed. 

Yes it did and went down well with SR crews. Sadly, no reported sightings of V4's down South....

Fortunately as we all know, when the MN's/WC/BB had axle trouble B1's and V2's appeared on the SR. The Shedmaster at 70D is looking forward to them popping into his shed, especially the V2's.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Back home from Alnwick/Alnmouth. What an absolutely lovely coastline and the hinterland is also rather lovely too. Mrs B loved it. Report later for those interested. Unpacking now.

Edited by 30368
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Yes it did and went down well with SR crews. Sadly, nom reported sightings of V4's down South....

Fortunately as we all know, when the MN's/WC/BB had axle trouble B1's and V2's appeared on the SR. The Shedmaster at 70D is looking forward to them popping into his shed, especially the V2's.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Back home from Alnwick/Alnmouth. What an absolutely lovely coastline and the hinterland is also rather lovely too. Mrs B loved it. Report later for those interested. Unpacking now.

Did you find the Bookshop in the old Station?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Did you find the Bookshop in the old Station?

Hi Phil,

Yes Phil, Barter Books just brilliant. Bought the following:

The Power of the A3's - Gavin Morrison

North Eastern Steam 1948 - 1968 Peter Tuffrey

East Coast Main LIne Vols 6 and 7 D R Dunn

Northumberland Branch LInes 3 D R Dunn

Plus a number of Art History and other stuff that we are keen on.

BUT... the buffet is just wonderful served by such pleasant people - frankly the the finest and largest sausage sarnie's  in the world...

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/06/2023 at 09:26, hayfield said:

You will have a great time

Hi John,

Thanks for all your hints and tips.

We stayed at a cottage in Rock which is close to Alnwick and Alnmouth. With the exception of one day we had perfect weather. The beaches on this part of the East Coast are very beautiful - golden sand dunes. We visited Berwick, Bamburgh (Destiny Is All) Holy Island, Craster and Amble. All interesting places full of history and beauty. Alnwick Castle is well worth a visit but the Water Gardens at Alnwick are just sensational and, to my knowledge, fairly unique in form - huge contoured Hornbeam hedges, a maze contructed from bamboo and the water features themselves are quite stunning.

I'm afraid we were unable to fit in the White Swan but on the recommendation of two lovely ladies we met over coffee in Alnwick, we had lunch at The Old Boathouse at Amble. Sadly a mixed experience. Our party had some good food but having pointed out, in a very kindly way, that the otherwise lovely Mackeral Pate was too salty for me, my main course arrived and was even saltier! It was an establishment that reminded me a little of some of the more pretentious London restaurants that are doing you a favour by letting you eat there! The only blot on the landscape...

The standout for us though was Alnmouth. Putting it simply, we looked at the houses for sale. It is a glorious gem of a town and the Aln Estuary is full of wading birds of all sorts. We all loved it.

No pictures yet - I will try to coax some off my iPhone but if you have looked at my photographic efforts on this thread, don't hold your breath!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi John,

Thanks for all your hints and tips.

We stayed at a cottage in Rock which is close to Alnwick and Alnmouth. With the exception of one day we had perfect weather. The beaches on this part of the East Coast are very beautiful - golden sand dunes. We visited Berwick, Bamburgh (Destiny Is All) Holy Island, Craster and Amble. All interesting places full of history and beauty. Alnwick Castle is well worth a visit but the Water Gardens at Alnwick are just sensational and, to my knowledge, fairly unique in form - huge contoured Hornbeam hedges, a maze contructed from bamboo and the water features themselves are quite stunning.

I'm afraid we were unable to fit in the White Swan but on the recommendation of two lovely ladies we met over coffee in Alnwick, we had lunch at The Old Boathouse at Amble. Sadly a mixed experience. Our party had some good food but having pointed out, in a very kindly way, that the otherwise lovely Mackeral Pate was too salty for me, my main course arrived and was even saltier! It was an establishment that reminded me a little of some of the more pretentious London restaurants that are doing you a favour by letting you eat there! The only blot on the landscape...

The standout for us though was Alnmouth. Putting it simply, we looked at the houses for sale. It is a glorious gem of a town and the Aln Estuary is full of wading birds of all sorts. We all loved it.

No pictures yet - I will try to coax some off my iPhone but if you have looked at my photographic efforts on this thread, don't hold your breath!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Richard

Sounds like you need to go back, Alnmouth is a lovely village and we found a super cafe there. We also liked Amble and I bought a painting of a view to the island for her birthday from one of the small shops.

The golf course looks interesting and as you say lots of nice walks to build up a thirst

You missed out on the White Swann

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A New Year's Morning walk along the beach at Alnmouth comes to mind from times past, as do castles at Warkworth (when I told my Geordie father, he said he'd been run out of Warkworth by an angry father!), Dunstanburgh and Norham (JMW Turner liked that one too). 

The Northeast can be busy at holiday times, but is less populated most of the year. Lovely area. 

During BRIS Restructuring, my boss/client and I would once every four weeks be on a train from Edinburgh to York for a meeting. It called at Alnmouth, and he expressed a wish to alight there and to hell with meetings - we'd already had two in Glasgow that morning! I think he now runs the Permanent Way Institution.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A New Year's Morning walk along the beach at Alnmouth comes to mind from times past, as do castles at Warkworth (when I told my Geordie father, he said he'd been run out of Warkworth by an angry father!), Dunstanburgh and Norham (JMW Turner liked that one too). 

The Northeast can be busy at holiday times, but is less populated most of the year. Lovely area. 

During BRIS Restructuring, my boss/client and I would once every four weeks be on a train from Edinburgh to York for a meeting. It called at Alnmouth, and he expressed a wish to alight there and to hell with meetings - we'd already had two in Glasgow that morning! I think he now runs the Permanent Way Institution.

Hi Ian,

Yes, very much a JMW coastline - huge swaths of colour and tiny human and animal figures. I guess it all appealed to my "arty farty" side and I make no apologies for that.

Us (then) railwaymen have a funny and coincidental relationship at times. As I think I may have mentioned. I a member of the HST commissioning team and the first WR sets were all tested on the ECML, initially to a siding close to Alnmouth. Commissioning is very thirsty work and a quick slide down an embankment to the road and a quick bus ride into Alnmouth brought refreshment to the team. We only missed the set on test once.... Sortly after the commisioning runs terminated at Newcastle. Alnmouth or another meeting, tricky choice.......

I think I found the road bridge and bus stop last week on our way back to Rock.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chassis is now finished and painted.

I know move on to detailing the body.

IMG_7979.JPG.e9eed4ad0c93bf8eac32b5b9e970dbd5.JPG

IMG_7980.JPG.2e44c53825c821e77715363070eacebf.JPG

Yes I know I missed the spot on one or two handrail holes!

IMG_7982.JPG.38f83fc98c3298b2efd7f3e7f53151c6.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I have not been idle honest! This build is taking longer than I usually take to build a loco given that large parts are scratch built. That is no criticism of the Judith Edge kit, the quality of which is first class, just the reality of building a loco from a set of etches and than having to procure or build everything that is not included. If it had been included, the cost would have been many more times the purchase price. It is though building up into, what I consider, a lovely model of Gresley's swan song design.

Working on cab interior now that handrails etc fitted.

AS mentioned, the backplate is a V2 casing cut down to get it closer to the V4 boiler size - it is not perfect but close. The driver and fireman's raised footplate are a feature of the Gresley cab.

IMG_7984.JPG.f402b0fc579b5945749c155b64e7c19a.JPG

Cab painted up and the drivers brake valve and reverser column fitted. I have some further work to do with the "wooden" cab floor!! The cab seats are going to be a devil to make.

IMG_7986.JPG.2d5aa9c4804542c8722847c2a2fb4b06.JPG

IMG_7987.JPG.654bc6381a5d05d671e0676b31dcfcba.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I am now in "Much Swearing-by-Derwent" as I fit all the little (steam) oil pipes around the smokebox saddle. I use 0.2mm and 0.3mm wire. I have completed the firemans side, the "easier" drivers side can wait until I have calmed down.

Each side has a small manifold fixed to the smokebox saddle to which all the tiny oil pipes are connected. The arrangement of the pipes does change, for example 61701 had a similar arrangement of pipework on the smokebox side to 61700 curving around the nameplate even though no nameplate was fitted. This seems to have changed in later BR years.

IMG_7991.JPG.ecfd68260d3927061d88fba96970b33e.JPG

The support brakets at the rear of the smokebox are not complete and the main steam pipe covers require a little filler.

IMG_7989.JPG.1240daadee1594fcb468c67157b68e07.JPG

I have extended the smokbox door inge straps - they were too short.

IMG_7990.JPG.5c040007d3ed1a2fbaa5dbfd6777db04.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A very brief update. The V4 is now painted, however I was dissatisfied with the interface between the firebox clading and the boiler so filler added which still has to be cleaned up. Lining almost complete this side so I will have to be very careful cleaning up the filler and then re-painting. Not ideal....

I am though still pleased with the result. Smokebox door mounted lamp bracket needs adjusting!

I have also replaced the front pony truck wheels with the correct diameter 10 spoke wheels.

IMG_7998.JPG.6e3bfe7becdebc904b204651627f62e6.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Getting there, I'm not sure where though...

IMG_8004.JPG.8b536485830395e17becff0f6e851ca0.JPG

IMG_8005.JPG.bf609c3118a87ab0dfe0620ee2a17288.JPG

The powder I have used polishes up well. The next stage involves washes for oil and water staining. I may clean some off with Klear. Loco runs really well and is powerful. I think it looks to be a fairly good model of the prototype despite the (many) errors.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Closer?

IMG_8012.JPG.5cb6ccd0e52fc234c6b3c7d5e68a8478.JPG

IMG_8013.JPG.a41a83367cf64b8a25933c0b9a0d5726.JPG

IMG_8014.JPG.8f2a1b1ca7aa2902ae6d3e4ea4960228.JPG

IMG_8015.JPG.0567ba9f7dd5bc21a0f7f9d545a63642.JPG

On to the tender then.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS It looks much cleaner and fairly shiny in the metal!

Edited by 30368
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Good progress with the tender. I have to mention the high quality of the Judith Edge KIts etches. The tender frame rivet detail is just so very fine - I used a scriber to press out the rivets. I decided to make a sperate subframe to locate the wheels and brake gear which is secured to the tender tank by two set screws soldered to the tank base.

The tender side frames and tank base. Lovely fine rivet detail and I like too the axlebox castings provided by PDK Model Kits, little or no "flash". The subrame below with the brake hanger wires soldered to the frame sides.

IMG_8029.JPG.ec4972668a715acb0e4366ca33789329.JPG

All fits together very nicely.

IMG_8028.JPG.837ac3ed761ee82181a67cd1ccc21ad9.JPG

KInd regards,

Richard B

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That's how the tender frame is intended to be built, I just didn't have room on the etch for any spacers. The tender tank is intended to be built on a bolted base, in the same way as most of our kits - the four holes seen in the footplate will take 14BA screws to hols the baseplate on.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

That's how the tender frame is intended to be built

Thanks Michael, I imaged that was the case, I think the B9 kit was similar? I used EM spacers left over from a kit and cut/filed them down. I intend to fit pick-ups in the tender so having a removable tank will be helpful for access.

On another subject, are you attending any exhibitions in the north later this year? It would be good to meet up for a chat. I am still intending to buy a Maunsell Diesel shunter kit when available. Having followed more of your threads on this site I can see why it can take a while to get a kit into production, you are so busy!

As I think I may have mentioned, my first job after finishing the first year of my apprenticeship at Eastleigh Works Training School was performing an "A" exam on 15201 at Eastleigh Diesel Depot. It was withdrawn and scrapped shortly after. I don't think it was my fault although! I suspect the Depot Foreman knew it was to be withdrawn and sensibly wanted to reduce the risk to his operational fleet....

Kind regards, and keep up the good work.

Richard B

• Like 1