RMweb

Wearing face masks or coverings on public transport to be mandatory from June 15th

BR(S)

• RMweb Premium

Completely and utterly unenforceable.  Apparently you don't have to wear one if you cite having a disability or breathing difficulties so that will be the go to excuse I expect.

I reckon this is the prelude to a Government push to get everyone back to work, if everyone on public transport is "wearing a face covering" then social distancing can be dropped and everyone can get moving.  It seems the Government's priority now is the economy with the virus almost an after thought.

Whatever, it is going to be a shambles!

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold

I can just imagine this situation on a Swansea - Paddington train as it approaches the Severn Tunnel.  Rather like the changing of armbands in 'The Dirty Dozen' as the Guard announces 'On Masks' as the train enters the tunnel.   In the Down direction it will presumably be 'Off masks, at your own risk!'  I wonder if they'll be selling masks from the catering trolley?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Completely and utterly unenforceable.  Apparently you don't have to wear one if you cite having a disability or breathing difficulties so that will be the go to excuse I expect.

I reckon this is the prelude to a Government push to get everyone back to work, if everyone on public transport is "wearing a face covering" then social distancing can be dropped and everyone can get moving.  It seems the Government's priority now is the economy with the virus almost an after thought.

I disagree, this is a step that should have been taken long ago, because the effect of social distancing on public transport, both for the operators, be they public or private, and passengers has been nothing short of disastrous. I have not been on a train or bus since mid-March and as a result my family life, social life and general well-being have been adversely affected. Once restrictions on travel are relaxed I will not hesitate to use trains, and I will wear a face mask for as long as necessary; I fully expect that the majority of passengers will comply too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, John M Upton said:

It should be noted that France and quite a few other countries have already had the requirement to wear facemasks when using public transport - as with the original lockdown back in March the UK is leaving it rather late to start copying others.

As for the economy - its pretty oblivious that Lockdown is unsustainable even in the short term. The Government is subsidising almost half the nations wages in one form or another while everything from car manufacturers to retailers plus the large hospitality sector not to mention airlines are getting ready to make large numbers redundant which adds a further problems (both socially and financially).

Consequentially the Government is not in a position to do anything else than start to allow the economy to open up again.

Of course had they not waisted so much time back in March and reacted quicker then the R number would be lower and the risks of opening up now reduced accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Down here on the sunny Sussex Coast, the number of people wearing face coverings is probably less than one in two hundred and I really cannot see that changing.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I can just imagine this situation on a Swansea - Paddington train as it approaches the Severn Tunnel.  Rather like the changing of armbands in 'The Dirty Dozen' as the Guard announces 'On Masks' as the train enters the tunnel.   In the Down direction it will presumably be 'Off masks, at your own risk!'  I wonder if they'll be selling masks from the catering trolley?

A similar point could be made about Anglo-Scottish services at Gretna Jc and Marshall Meadows, however in Scotland the First Minister is now talking about mandatory face masks anywhere indoors, which of course includes public transport: Something else that should already have happened.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Down here on the sunny Sussex Coast, the number of people wearing face coverings is probably less than one in two hundred and I really cannot see that changing.

Up until now trains have generally been quiet enough to socially distance from each other effectively so masks have only been used by those being extra cautious. As with many other bits of PPE, if there are other methods of keeping people safe - or the PPE will not be necessary for the task / journey being undertaken (something NR refuse to get into their thick skulls at cooperate level) then wearing it all the time becomes a box ticking exercise and commands no respect.

However as non essential shops, etc start to open up and the Governments furlong scheme starts to wind down it will become obvious to users that social distancing will be progressively be a problem as trains / stations get busier, thus encouraging the use of face masks among those previously inclined not to bother.

Also I note that the transport secretary has said that TOCs will be given the power to refuse to let non mask wearers travel and while I appreciate that a single train guard won't be able to do much - making it a requirement to be wearing a mask to access the platforms at the likes of Brighton is certainly doable.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Watch the prices of face masks shoot up. I’ve already seen disposable masks at £1 each.

To enforce it all the ticket gates will be fitted with face recognition cameras, if they see your face the gates will not open.

• Like 2

Masks have been impossible to buy these last few weeks. Wife's sister who works in Hong Kong sent a box through the post several weeks ago , amazingly it arrived in under two weeks. Asda had them the other day, 4 for £3.50 - disposable. (and expensive)

I just bought 50 for £17 on ebay, mostly for family as I don't go out much. There are some silly prices on there and I now expect prices to get sillier.

I wouldn't wear a mask twice, or use re-usable ones - putting a potentially contaminated mask in your pocket etc for re-use does not seem right to me - wear once & safely dispose is what I will do - (never worn a mask up to now). I'll just wear for public transport, shopping.

As usual we Brits are late to the party. This should have happened weeks ago. Political incompetence.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Here's a tip to reuse masks and gloves. The half life of the virus is 2 minutes in saliva exposed to sunlight. Put the mask in bright sunshine for half an hour and turn over. It cannot withstand UV.

Interestingly, the half life is longer wiping a surface down with household bleach: 5 minutes or 30 seconds with isopropyl alcohol.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

As usual we Brits are late to the party. This should have happened weeks ago. Political incompetence.

Brit15

Married to a ex infection control Nurse and a daughter in law Dr currently working in an Intensive Care unit I have been using a face mask/s since lockdown began.

I didn't  need to wait until some politician told me to do so, yes its a late  ruling and better late than never, ahead of Scotland/Wales and N Ireland for once though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, maico said:

Interestingly, the half life is longer wiping a surface down with household bleach: 5 minutes or 30 seconds with isopropyl alcohol.

Thats where being a railway modeller wins hand down, one should always have a litre of IPA to hand....

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Shedman5 said:

Married to a ex infection control Nurse and a daughter in law Dr currently working in an Intensive Care unit I have been using a face mask/s since lockdown began.

I didn't  need to wait until some politician told me to do so, yes its a late  ruling and better late than never, ahead of Scotland/Wales and N Ireland for once though.

Nicola Sturgeon said many times that she would have loved to have put in place a mandatory face mask rule for public transport - but held back precisely because she does not have any authority over cross border TOCS and she didn't want the situation where masks were mandatory on ScotRail but not on LNER or Avanti. You can hardly go round fining ScotRail passengers but doing nothing to those alighting from a London train or bar access to stations where TOCs have different rules!

The Welsh assembly had a similar dilemma of course, hampered by the fact that lots of their sponsored train services spend a lot of time in England where they have no authority to demand anything....

35 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Masks have been impossible to buy these last few weeks.

My mum bought a box of 50 at Evesham Country park 2 days ago for normal money.

However, as we are talking about face coverings, just wear a bandana, homemade mask or scarf.

35 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Maybe "we Brits" ought to learn how to do things without being told by the government. Either that or stop banging on about our "common sense". No-one was stopping anyone wearing a mask before. I've worn my (homemade) one a few times in the last couple of weeks when in confined spaces.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Matt Hancock, April 24: "The evidence of the use of masks by the general public is extremely weak."

Grant Shapps, June 4: "With more people using transport the evidence suggests wearing face coverings offers some - albeit limited - protection against the spread of the virus."

They are making it up as they go along.

Andi

Absolutely spot on!

I can see the parallel of public transport with the supermarket where I work. Until recently most folk were shopping singly, with consideration and leaving plenty of space. In the last 10 days a noticeable proportion are now shopping 'normally' as couples, families, or groups of friends, and social distancing is becoming a problem.

If we must wear masks in certain situations for the time being, then so be it.

cheers 

cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Watch the prices of face masks shoot up. I’ve already seen disposable masks at £1 each.

To enforce it all the ticket gates will be fitted with face recognition cameras, if they see your face the gates will not open.

I had paid £1.50 from our corner shop more than a month ago for our neighbour who has cancer and has been going to the hospital for treatment. It was a case of get them at all costs for his first trip.

Just ordered a pcak of bandanas before they all start selling out so we are ready for when we need them as more shops may now demand them. I just hope that all these face masks doesn't lead to a lot more crime.

Luckily my other halfs company is keen for her to still work from home so no commuting for many more months by the looks of it except in the odd occasion such as getting the laptop fixed should it need it. Me, I am happy that I no longer have to commute and wont be sad if I never travel on a Thameslink train again  but unfortunately thats just dreaming.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Mountain Goat said:

Looks like public transport is no longer going to be an option for me in the future. 

Why?

The Government has already stated that those with a relevant disability or breathing difficulties will be exempt.

If its simply because you find them uncomfortable then join the club! Lots of people are currently having to wear them but hate them.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Thats where being a railway modeller wins hand down, one should always have a litre of IPA to hand....

We have drunk all our bottles of IPA but plenty of stouts and porters left:drink_mini:

• Funny 5

20 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

We have drunk all our bottles of IPA but plenty of stouts and porters left:drink_mini:

Straight into the heffalump trap!  :jester:

But yes, you need both for physical amd mental safety... 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, maico said:

Here's a tip to reuse masks and gloves. The half life of the virus is 2 minutes in saliva exposed to sunlight

Can you provide a link to the evidence for this 'fact'?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Can you provide a link to the evidence for this 'fact'?

Doesn’t matter.  Summer finished on Wednesday anyway.

• Funny 1